• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A guide to mindgames and observation

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
A lot like Havok's thread, except for the overgeneralized walking stuff.

I thought Havok overdid his organization though, that's why this is an easier read.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I really like your guide Pierce7d.

It kind of reminds me of TKD [but what doesn't?], and speaking from experience, that these are necessities for any kind of fighting or fighting game. Seriously, all you need for TKD is these concepts [other than being really fast and Korean (<- Seriously these guys are too good, someone get the banhammer now)]

/off topic kind of.

However on thing in terms of mindgames that I know is important in TKD is reading your opponent, and while it may not be appicable in smash, it goes by another term, "telegraphing."

I think if you added a section in the guide about that, it would be an invaluable addition [but, it is still excellent regardless].

Unfortunately, it may be to move or character specific and thus impractical.

So I understand if you chose not to do it.

Just a random suggestion.

EDIT: Yeah I'm still on Vicaden, because of my molars, I am little off. I apologize if I am being crazy or anything like that.

Vicaden johns lol.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Telegraphing is when someone starts the motion of an attack in advance or changes their positioning to get ready for an attack. A lot of scrubs do it in smash by running at you, my advice when people do something silly to telegraph (dashdance, run right at you from far away) is just to whiff a fast attack (downtilt) and then they'll immediately **** themselves and do something stupid and/or punishable.

I'm not sure that this thread is complete but I think its missing a lot on the subject of mindgames. You should always be predicting your opponents by their skill level, their habits, and by your and their percents relative to their kill moves. The objective of good mindgames is to either lock down the opponent so he feels like his winning strategies won't work, or to get them to be over-aggressive to the point where they are whiffing moves in front of you or doing stupid stuff.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm not sure that this thread is complete but I think its missing a lot on the subject of mindgames. You should always be predicting your opponents by their skill level, their habits, and by your and their percents relative to their kill moves. The objective of good mindgames is to either lock down the opponent so he feels like his winning strategies won't work, or to get them to be over-aggressive to the point where they are whiffing moves in front of you or doing stupid stuff.
These type of mindgames are generally NOT the type of mindgames I'm referring to. IMO only bad players get FRUSTRATED to the point where they become easy pickings and make spacing errors. Good opponents will not get so stressed out by a good pressure game that they will frequently whiff moves, and do stupid stuff.

Uffe

Smash Hero
To beat out airdodges, basically, jump at your airborne opponent and do nothing. They will dodge, anticipating an attack (they have to, or they'll get hit). Wait a little while, and attack them as they come out of their dodge. Hitting them with a move that sends them Upward can reset the situation, because you get a chance to do it again. This is referred to as juggling, but is SLIGHTLY different than juggling in Melee.
This here is a flaw. Your opponent has three options. They can either air dodge, attack you or just move away from you if they have their second jump and then possibly attack you if you decide to jump at them and do nothing. I've tried this out myself long before reading this, hoping it'd work, but it hardly ever does because I'd be the one getting hit. Other than that they just evade without the use of an air dodge.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
The defensive part is a little shaky for me. Some people actually try to make you guess their patterns and bad habits to punish you.

Nonetheless, Good $hit.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Alot of these I've thought about myself, but I have to say the biggest tip I learned was Walking. It's amazing how much that leaves open to you.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Meh, I really think it should be a guide to observation (the word mindgames is just such an ugh word...misused 3/4ths of the time). But thank you for this guide, it's pretty good.

Top Bottom