• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Okay, from what I read, in the air, Ness have a slight advantage. On the ground, Mario has a slight advantage. Those even out, 5-5.

Off the stage, Mario has a HUGE advantage over Ness. Ness edge guarding Mario, whatever Ness throws at us, we can easily cape/air dodge... Mario can throw a barrage of things at Ness, so not so much, so 7-3?

I just woke up, and I don't wanna do math, so I'm just going to say 6-4 :]

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Okay, from what I read, in the air, Ness have a slight advantage. On the ground, Mario has a slight advantage. Those even out, 5-5.

Off the stage, Mario has a HUGE advantage over Ness. Ness edge guarding Mario, whatever Ness throws at us, we can easily cape/air dodge... Mario can throw a barrage of things at Ness, so not so much, so 7-3?

No way. 6-4 is just to big. I'd expect that from G&W or Wario but Mario? 7-3 on the ledge is lawl. I know how to recover as Ness do you? The main problem is that you guys are the gimpers, you don't know how the gimpee reacts! Ness' recovery is incredibly underrated, it's sickening.

I'd say Mario has the slight advantage off-stage but not to big. MK is a bigger threat. Wario can also gimp Ness, you don't see Wario main's saying 7-3! I know it's harsh but it's true. Low tier's like Ness or Mario will never get a 7-3 in any field.

I think we covered the most important points of the matchup, the ground and the air. But offstage is still not covered. Ness recovering from the ledge has a few options, such as spacing himself from Mario using fair's or a dair (sourspot can kill Mario at the edge, sweetspot equals spike) Mario will most likely approach with a cape right?

Little known fact, psi magnet can turn Ness around. Coupled with it's stall in the air, it can help from the cape assault. PKT is the last resort in which fludd will target. You have several ways of countering it.
*Using PKT2 quickly
*Looping it the other way
*Aiming at Mario and quickly looping it the other way.

Kanzaki, you have yet to attempt to gimp a good Ness (at recovering). If you do, and record a video of it I would like to see.

It's definetely even.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Ness can stall yea, but the only thing he's stalling is himself getting gimped. If Ness wants to be all fancy with PKT, I'll just fludd the Thunder itself to cancel it out, instead of pushing Ness out of the way. If a Ness recovers low, I'll shoot a fireball and aim it at the Thunder to cancel that out as well.

I've gimped ViceGrip, granted it was online, and offline, I've been able to gimp Edreese a few times in friendly's 2v2's... in 1v1, he stayed Peach against me.

PKNintendo, you have yet to even show us any credibility you have, tourney experience and what not, and you just keep dodging it... soooo unless all you do is play against your lil group of friends, I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about =/ Myself, Bo x7, and Matador all goes to offline tourneys... so unless a Ness main here goes to an OFFLINE tourney, and goes almost all Ness, I think it should stay at 6-4 :[

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
if I could just chime in here....

I find that this matchup is advantage Mario.

On the ground, Mario wins. His jab combo is faster than anything Ness has, he has a good answer to Ness' projectiles, and Ness' smash attacks are (sadly) a bit too slow to be caught in.

In the air, Ness wins. No contest there, really.

Off stage, however, Ness gets wrecked. I mean, Ness' recovery is by no means bad, but against a good Mario, Ness' recovery is a giant liability. Also, Mario has no problem jumping out a bit and doing old fashioned Bair walls or caping, forcing the PKT, and thus leading to FLUDD.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Leniant? Meh, I think Peach and DK at 55-45 is leniant.I mean, we keep going back to gimping, but what about the other aspects of the match? We went over those, and I think that's what matters most!

Mario can gimp Snake, does that play into the matchup completely? I don't think so. Again, unless Mario comes up with some wacky CG or grab release to push him over 5-5, I say it's even.

(Yesterday, I played against a few Mario's. The first few Mario mains were bad, the last Mario main I faced was good. I found that gimping was least of my worries)
Okay then, forget gimping. I was never putting that much emphasis on it anyways. The fact of the matter is that Mario can approach Ness. Very easily in fact. And once Mario's in, what does Ness really have to keep him out? He can just combo and kill pretty easily and gimp if the opportunity arises. Ness has the skies, but not even marginally. But on the ground, Mario flat-lines Ness.

Ness gives Mario problems with his Fair, okay, but nothing else limits him. I don't even see him KOing reliably if it's not his Bthrow, which becomes very telegraphed, whereas Mario has a great OOS option that kills around the same % from ANYwhere on the stage, let alone the Fsmash that kills at 100% on average (meaning it can kill below as well).

It doesn't even feel like a close match, he doesn't really limit the things that Mario does best, while Mario is a danger to him offstage, on the ground and limits his projectile game. Even that Psi magnet cancel thing isn't as good as I thought, since you KNOW he'll either spot dodge or jump (most of the time jump) which is just as easily punishable. You guys can have the 50:50 if you want, it makes no difference to me really. But you'd only be lying to yourselves, Mario has advantages in this matchup.

Edit: Omfg Bo, u pwn. It looks so sexy.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi

Umm... Mario should never cape what various aerials Ness throws out to Gimp... Mainly because both the Back air, N air and D air hit the either way you face... Mario can be edge guarded to the same extent Ness can. Mario has to Air dodge. to avoid aerials, and if Ness is going to hug the ledge / Edge hog, mario must land on the stage to live. It is the same for Ness, however if Ness lands at the right time he does not suffer any lag for landing.

Any aerial Mario tries to use to stop Ness' recovery can be stopped by a F air.

Mario's down B and forward B can be a real pain for PK thunder but the different ways PK thunder can be angled helps avoid these things.

Mario has help on his recovery too, for the beginning invincibility frames help prevent instant start up spikes.

If anything this match up is 55-45 Mario with the advantage thanks to his gimping abilities.

Also Ness' DJ is extremely good for recovering, thanks to air dodging and Ness' forward air, I'm not sure what Mario can do to that...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I mean, we keep going back to gimping, but what about the other aspects of the match? We went over those, and I think that's what matters most!

Mario can gimp Snake, does that play into the matchup completely? I don't think so. Again, unless Mario comes up with some wacky CG or grab release to push him over 5-5, I say it's even.

(Yesterday, I played against a few Mario's. The first few Mario mains were bad, the last Mario main I faced was good. I found that gimping was least of my worries)
I know how to recover as Ness do you? The main problem is that you guys are the gimpers, you don't know how the gimpee reacts! Ness' recovery is incredibly underrated, it's sickening.

I'd say Mario has the slight advantage off-stage but not to big. MK is a bigger threat. Wario can also gimp Ness, you don't see Wario main's saying 7-3! I know it's harsh but it's true. Low tier's like Ness or Mario will never get a 7-3 in any field.

I think we covered the most important points of the matchup, the ground and the air. But offstage is still not covered. Ness recovering from the ledge has a few options, such as spacing himself from Mario using fair's or a dair (sourspot can kill Mario at the edge, sweetspot equals spike) Mario will most likely approach with a cape right?

Little known fact, psi magnet can turn Ness around. Coupled with it's stall in the air, it can help from the cape assault. PKT is the last resort in which fludd will target. You have several ways of countering it.
*Using PKT2 quickly
*Looping it the other way
*Aiming at Mario and quickly looping it the other way.

Kanzaki, you have yet to attempt to gimp a good Ness (at recovering). If you do, and record a video of it I would like to see.

It's definetely even.
No one's pouncing on Ness' recovery or his character as a whole. We all know he's a good character and has the advantage in other matches where Mario does not. We're not denying that, but there is no way that it's even. We wouldn't even keep going back to Ness gimping Mario if you guys would at least acknowledge that it's a very real threat for Ness here. You guys keep shrugging it off as "you haven't gimped a good Ness" or "gimping isn't that important".

And don't compare this to "Well MK can do this better, or Wario's good at doing this too, does this mean it's 7-3? Nooooo!" because it's NOT that matchup. We're looking at what's in front of us. Mario has clear advantages in this matchup, while Ness doesn't really have anything but Fair priority here. Other than that, there's nothing here that Ness can take advantage of over some other character like Fox or something.

Edit:
Umm... Mario should never cape what various aerials Ness throws out to Gimp... Mainly because both the Back air, N air and D air hit the either way you face...
Your analysis is flawed. If the cape only turned around opponents, it would be useless for edgeguarding, but that's clearly not the case.

Mario can be edge guarded to the same extent Ness can. Mario has to Air dodge. to avoid aerials, and if Ness is going to hug the ledge / Edge hog, mario must land on the stage to live. It is the same for Ness, however if Ness lands at the right time he does not suffer any lag for landing.
Except he doesn't have to airdodge. He's throwing out fireballs and has Fludd to push Ness back onstage. Plus, Mario's recovery is much faster and, consequently, harder to catch as he's coming up. You can't even ledgehog him to the same extent because he has a cape to stall, fireballs to knock you off the ledge, and his upB stagespikes. You'll find that spiking or gimping a good Mario is a little more difficult that normal since he's lobbing out projectiles and going for that ledge all at the same time.

If he comes head on. Even then, FIHL would hold you in place and leave you open to an Usmash from beneath you. Of course, Mario could jump offstage and stagespike a Bair if you're too close, or shoot fireballs to stop him. Fair doesn't cover Ness' entire body.

Mario's down B and forward B can be a real pain for PK thunder but the different ways PK thunder can be angled helps avoid these things.
I agree. They still hinder it more than against Peach or someone.

If anything this match up is 55-45 Mario with the advantage thanks to his gimping abilities.
There's more than that. How does Ness stop him approaching, or stop him from starting up combos? I'm not seeing it. Mario even has a better defensive game if he needs it, which would stop Ness' Fair in its tracks (upB OOS)

Also Ness' DJ is extremely good for recovering, thanks to air dodging and Ness' forward air, I'm not sure what Mario can do to that...
This is all fine and dandy, but it doesn't stop Mario from gimping him, it only makes it a bit more difficult. Without the DJAD or Fair during the double jump, Ness wouldn't make it back.

Ever.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Okay then, forget gimping. I was never putting that much emphasis on it anyways. The fact of the matter is that Mario can approach Ness. Very easily in fact. And once Mario's in, what does Ness really have to keep him out? He can just combo and kill pretty easily and gimp if the opportunity arises. Ness has the skies, but not even marginally. But on the ground, Mario flat-lines Ness.

Ness gives Mario problems with his Fair, okay, but nothing else limits him. I don't even see him KOing reliably if it's not his Bthrow, which becomes very telegraphed, whereas Mario has a great OOS option that kills around the same % from ANYwhere on the stage, let alone the Fsmash that kills at 100% on average (meaning it can kill below as well).

It doesn't even feel like a close match, he doesn't really limit the things that Mario does best, while Mario is a danger to him offstage, on the ground and limits his projectile game. Even that Psi magnet cancel thing isn't as good as I thought, since you KNOW he'll either spot dodge or jump (most of the time jump) which is just as easily punishable. You guys can have the 50:50 if you want, it makes no difference to me really. But you'd only be lying to yourselves, Mario has advantages in this matchup.

Edit: Omfg Bo, u pwn. It looks so sexy.
Meh, I think Ness is more than slightly better in the air than Mario. Fair is not all about Ness. Fair=incredibly overated. What you say about Mario comboing Ness, applies to Ness too. He can combo Mario into oblivion too. Mario killing easily on the ground? Not really. Didn't you just realize that Ness can land 2 aerials in a SH?

His Upsmash and downsmash are weak. Stutterstepped Fsmash is tough, but not overpowering. Ness outdoes Mario in terms of killing easily.

Ness is not flatlined by Mario, in fact I think Mario's ground isn't too hot.

Anyway, on the ground Ness has his ''now limited'' PKF. Oh and his yo-yo's. Sexy yo-to's they are. Mario isn't the only one with OOS tactics. Down tilt is also overlooked, it can be a massive damage racker.

Now for killing. Backthrow is also overrated, Fsmash, bair, PK flash and PTK2 get no love whats so ever. Fsmash can be stutterstepped too. It's range is amazing, it's power is great, and it's powerful. Bair is when RAR.

I disagree with lying to myself. And Matador, your previous post was better
(goes to search it) In fact, you contradict yourself in this one.

And going back to other characters who have more **** options on Ness. It just doesn't feel like a 55-45.

Edit: Eh, it feels to quote Simna ''Like a 52-48 matchup''
But I won't end it. If most Mario mains have it as a 55-45, so will I. But rest assured, I will find a way to change this matchup to even.

PS: Kudos to the new sig.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Umm... Mario should never cape what various aerials Ness throws out to Gimp... Mainly because both the Back air, N air and D air hit the either way you face... Mario can be edge guarded to the same extent Ness can. Mario has to Air dodge. to avoid aerials, and if Ness is going to hug the ledge / Edge hog, mario must land on the stage to live. It is the same for Ness, however if Ness lands at the right time he does not suffer any lag for landing.
I meant, for whatever reason, while Mario's recovering, and a Ness throws out a PKT or whatever projectile, of course I'm going to cape it, I'm not gonna stand there and watch it hit me. If I see a Ness jumping out at me, I'm either going to airdodge to avoid it, if they coming for below and I'm feeling risky, I'll even fair to try to spike(this worked more than once), if they coming for above, of course they're going to try and spike me, so I'll up+b prematurely for the invincibility frames. If a Ness is just hanging on the ledge while I'm trying to recovery, I'm just going to fireball to knock you off.. and if it's too late for a fireball, I'll just do any of Mario's aerials to knock you off.. Mario can literally walk off the stage, do any aerial, and still safely recover... Last thing I do when I recover is jump.. Just incase for people that likes to hang on the ledge, it's called smart recovery :[ Something Ness COULD do, but still fails at =/

What if it's too late to use fair..? I don't go jumping out like crazy, I make sure my grounds are covered first. I don't jump out til you use your second jump..

FLUDD that shot AT the PK Thunder cancels it out, so be all fancy with your angled pk thunder if you want, I'll just cancel it out... I've literally charged FLUDD for half a second once just to be able to cancel out PK Thunder.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
No one's pouncing on Ness' recovery or his character as a whole. We all know he's a good character and has the advantage in other matches where Mario does not. We're not denying that, but there is no way that it's even. We wouldn't even keep going back to Ness gimping Mario if you guys would at least acknowledge that it's a very real threat for Ness here. You guys keep shrugging it off as "you haven't gimped a good Ness" or "gimping isn't that important".

And don't compare this to "Well MK can do this better, or Wario's good at doing this too, does this mean it's 7-3? Nooooo!" because it's NOT that matchup. We're looking at what's in front of us. Mario has clear advantages in this matchup, while Ness doesn't really have anything but Fair priority here. Other than that, there's nothing here that Ness can take advantage of over some other character like Fox or something.

Edit: Your analysis is flawed. If the cape only turned around opponents, it would be useless for edgeguarding, but that's clearly not the case.

Except he doesn't have to airdodge. He's throwing out fireballs and has Fludd to push Ness back onstage. Plus, Mario's recovery is much faster and, consequently, harder to catch as he's coming up. You can't even ledgehog him to the same extent because he has a cape to stall, fireballs to knock you off the ledge, and his upB stagespikes. You'll find that spiking or gimping a good Mario is a little more difficult that normal since he's lobbing out projectiles and going for that ledge all at the same time.

If he comes head on. Even then, FIHL would hold you in place and leave you open to an Usmash from beneath you. Of course, Mario could jump offstage and stagespike a Bair if you're too close, or shoot fireballs to stop him. Fair doesn't cover Ness' entire body.

I agree. They still hinder it more than against Peach or someone.

There's more than that. How does Ness stop him approaching, or stop him from starting up combos? I'm not seeing it. Mario even has a better defensive game if he needs it, which would stop Ness' Fair in its tracks (upB OOS)

This is all fine and dandy, but it doesn't stop Mario from gimping him, it only makes it a bit more difficult. Without the DJAD or Fair during the double jump, Ness wouldn't make it back.

Ever.
Double post.
You underestimate Ness defensive game and overestimate Mario's approach. I said it was better, but not by much. To stop and approaching Mario, Upsmash OOS is your best bet. Upsmash period since it covers a wide ark and has a nice priority. How does Mario stop Ness from approaching and starting up his combo's? UpB OOS is nice, but what else? How does Mario stop this if he's in the air? Or what happens if you whiff an Up B OOS? You eat a PKT2.

Ness fair is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo overated. Ness has other tools too.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Meh, I think Ness is more than slightly better in the air than Mario. Fair is not all about Ness. Fair=incredibly overated. What you say about Mario comboing Ness, applies to Ness too. He can combo Mario into oblivion too. Mario killing easily on the ground? Not really. Didn't you just realize that Ness can land 2 aerials in a SH?
No one can combo anyone. This is Brawl. And i've never had a Ness. Deliberately juggle me in the air constantly. How can i be juggled into oblivion? Mario doesn't have blind spot below him like Ness does. Since Ness's dair is slow, Uairs from Mario make juggling Ness easier than he can juggle Mario. He juggles Mario well but not in oblivion.

His Upsmash and downsmash are weak. Stutterstepped Fsmash is tough, but not overpowering. Ness outdoes Mario in terms of killing easily.
I've killed a snake at 113% with Fsmash fresh. I think thats pretty strong since snake is like the 3rd heaviest character in the game. I still believe Ness outdoes him in strength, just don't underestimate Mario's Fsmash.

Ness is not flatlined by Mario, in fact I think Mario's ground isn't too hot.
Of course it isn't, but in this case, Mario's CQC is better than Ness's.
now for killing. Backthrow is also overrated, Fsmash, bair, PK flash and PTK2 get no love whats so ever. Fsmash can be stutterstepped too. It's range is amazing, it's power is great, and it's powerful. Bair is when RAR.
Yea Ness is quite Powerful but his Fsmash is not a threat at all. I get killed by PKT, Bair, and Bthrow more often.

You underestimate Ness defensive game and overestimate Mario's approach. I said it was better, but not by much. To stop and approaching Mario, Upsmash OOS is your best bet. Upsmash period since it covers a wide ark and has a nice priority. How does Mario stop Ness from approaching and starting up his combo's? UpB OOS is nice, but what else? How does Mario stop this if he's in the air? Or what happens if you whiff an Up B OOS? You eat a PKT2.
I'm not gonna estimate Ness's Defensive game. But Mario's is better. FIHL, retreating bairs, Retreating fireballs, and Up B OOS. A good Mario also tries not to miss an Up B OOS. And are you sure if he misses, you have enough time for PKT before Mario recovers him self. I'll do some testing if i get the chance.

PS: Kudos to the new sig.
Yea i made it for him. X)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
No one can combo anyone. This is Brawl. And i've never had a Ness. Deliberately juggle me in the air constantly. How can i be juggled into oblivion? Mario doesn't have blind spot below him like Ness does. Since Ness's dair is slow, Uairs from Mario make juggling Ness easier than he can juggle Mario. He juggles Mario well but not in oblivion.

I've killed a snake at 113% with Fsmash fresh. I think thats pretty strong since snake is like the 3rd heaviest character in the game. I still believe Ness outdoes him in strength, just don't underestimate Mario's Fsmash.

Of course it isn't, but in this case, Mario's CQC is better than Ness's.

Yea Ness is quite Powerful but his Fsmash is not a threat at all. I get killed by PKT, Bair, and Bthrow more often.

Yea i made it for him. X)
113%! OUCH! Imagine Ness who isn't
a fatass like Snake
Your right, no one can combo in Brawl. My mistake then.

Anyway, the matchups been changed from 50-50 to 45-55. All in favor?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Why is meta knight is major disadvantage to Ness? That match up is like 60-40 if you know what you are doing.

Uffe

Smash Hero
50:50 or 55:45 in Mario's favor, I don't really care anymore. All I know is that it's not 60:40.

EDIT: Is that our next character? I don't think I've come across too many good MK's since I beat them most of the time. With Ness.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
You guys think to highly of Meta Knight.... Any Ness looking for info on the match up ask me in the Q&A thread...

Uffe

Smash Hero
You guys think to highly of Meta Knight.... Any Ness looking for info on the match up ask me in the Q&A thread...
I don't think highly of that armored-winged blue testicle. All you have to do is play it safe. There are two major things to look out for and those are his Mach Tornado and Shuttle Loop. I'm a bit surprised how many people walk up to the edge near Meta Knight and get hit like they've never seen that coming. I can understand getting hit off the edge of a platform which just cancels your shield to where you'd get hit by the Shuttle Loop, but seriously, people need to keep their distance and shield that attack whenever possible.

EDIT: The next match up? Captain Falcon? Ever fought any good ones? I know I have and some how got owned.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
CF is next then.

Good bye Mario mains, it was harsh, it was fun, it was okay, it was great. We shall debate CF next. (watch them say they have an advantage on Ness because of a made up CG)

Uffe

Smash Hero
CF is next then.

Good bye Mario mains, it was harsh, it was fun, it was okay, it was great. We shall debate CF next. (watch them say they have an advantage on Ness because of a made up CG)
Actually, Captain Falcon is dangerous. He may be at the lowest spot on the tier list, but I've fought some really good ones. Falcon's attacks are pretty laggy as well as his recovery and rolling. I know some of you guys like to test your match ups in a match, even if it's on wifi... So if any of you are willing to, I've got my friends Brawl code. I really want to contact this Falcon main on All is Brawl, but it's down at the moment.

Here's my friends Brawl code, though. Let me know if you're willing to play them and I'll give them your guys' Brawl codes.

PlatS: 2621-4069-7575
GoJiT: 1246 8517 5371

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I agree with 60-40 for Meta Knight by the way. I posted that earlier in the topic as well but pknintendo posted some drivel about Meta Knight being "broken".

Jtails

Smash Lord
I find cf to be in Ness favor. you can spike him out of Forward B on the ground. ness has more priority in certain cases. it can be hard for CF to approach. Also if ness waits on stage and PKT's CF while he's offstage racks some damage up. id say 55-45 or even 60-40 ness
Ive played both sides of this match up.

_clinton

Smash Master
Why? I'm seriously thinking 55:45 Mario is being lenient.
1. Yes...because you can gimp PK Thunder well (Oh my)
If Ness even needs it...gee wiz the Horizontal range of just using his double jump and Magnet right is the same as Mario's whole ****ing Horizontal recovery distance for one...so...how much of that distance does Mario need most of the time? Yeah...not all of it ^_^

Still...Ness' Magnet stalls better then Mario's cape just to let you know...the cape wears after the 1st use...the Magnet doesn't
That makes it just super easy for Mario huh? Thunder really is just back up for me 99% of the time...

2. Oh and go ahead and throw fireballs at me with your Mario when you are coming back (sense we are talking about that as well)...I don't mind free health...all I need is Mario at 136% (On FD)

Anyway though...I guess this post won't matter because were on someone else now >_>

...I play Falcon for fun every now and then if anyone cares...

Levitas

the moon
Falcon's really not that good. it's easy to limit his options and his jab/grab/followup game is fairly weak.

He's decent at edgeguarding, though.

Bowyer plays him a lot now.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I've never had too much trouble with Falcon, although I do fear that he'll try to knee me one of these days when I'm trying to PKT my way back to the stage. :psycho: Technically you could projectile spam him to high percents I guess, and then go for the kill. But that would be lame. I think the main thing to do here is stay aerial, but that's a given for Ness. Falcon's ground speed would make him a tough opponent for Ness, much in the way that Sonic would be... Although, staying aerial also means being wary of Falcon's up air. That mess comes out fast and is a pretty good combo starter, in my opinion.

Top Bottom