• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Cold mountain climbers can't take the heat that is required to cook Steak, nice thinknig CiTH.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
A little late, but iSDR is instant spindash roll I believe.
NO!
*hits*
There is no such thing as INSTANT spindash roll.
Its INVINCIBLE.

Since everyone apparently forgot.

On brinstar, corneria, yoshi's island, yoshi's Island (melee). When sonic performs a spindash when on the angled slopes, the invincibility frames to his spindash is sustained indefinitely.
As long as he is in ball form he will remain invincible even when he falls off the stage (if it slopes down, if it slopes forward he'll air dash).

its extremely useful and pisses offpeolple like DDD since they cannot grab you.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Holy crap Yoshi's Island is my new CP. I always did think it was just instant, but if you maintain invincibiltiy for the duration of the roll, that is even sweeter.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It's not very useful IMO tho >.> It's not like DDD's ever trying to infinite you on the top platform on Yoshi's Island while it's at a 45' angle or more, lol

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I never see the air dash as worth it. Especially when they can just sit on the under-platform anyway. It's unfortunately easy to see coming.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
NO!
*hits*
Its INVINCIBLE.

On brinstar, corneria, yoshi's island, yoshi's Island (melee). When sonic performs a spindash when on the angled slopes, the invincibility frames to his spindash is sustained indefinitely.
As long as he is in ball form he will remain invincible even when he falls off the stage (if it slopes down, if it slopes forward he'll air dash).

its extremely useful and pisses offpeolple like DDD since they cannot grab you.
But does the sudden teleportation also happen when you hit people? O_O

Gah, so confused. >_< Okay, so are we talking about the SDR where you start at the far left/right of yoshi's island and the SD goes directly into an SDR or on the sloped platform which makes it go into an airdash? X_X

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yes though I believe thats only when he is in the air.
Gah, so confused. >_< Okay, so are we talking about the SDR where you start at the far left/right of yoshi's island and the SD goes directly into an SDR or on the sloped platform which makes it go into an airdash? X_X
It won't go into an airdosh because what the Spindash does is that it follows the stage.
So if there is a slope that leads down it'll start o fall as normal (but will remain invincible).
If the slope leads up or is just straight, it goes into an airdash.

I never see the air dash as worth it. Especially when they can just sit on the under-platform anyway. It's unfortunately easy to see coming.[/quote[]
You are under the platform. They would have to jump up to avoid it.

Nicole

Smash Champion
WTH?!?!
who the eff are you?
you suck,
you dont matter...

that is so wrong in so many ways i cant even begin.
you fail
leave and never come back
man, if this is how you sonic mainers are, i'll just go main gaymenwatch.
jk roflcoptr lol
rainbow cruise seems like a good choice for a counterpick too.

Tenki

Smash Hero
NO!
*hits*
Its INVINCIBLE.

explanmode.
thanks.

gahd

So i herd u guyz tell newbies to read the stickies.

It's on the bottom of the side-B/down-B's first post.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lol, all this time maining Sonic, and I've never bothered to do an airdash -____-

Anyways, IC are both very annoying and very fun to face for me.

For clarity, Popo is the head IC, Nana is the secondary one in this case.

Annoying because its like, you think you just pulled off a 50 damage combo on popo, then you realize it was just nana. And its just, 2 characters you have to face. And god, blizzard is the most annoying thing in this entire matchup imo.

But fun becauseonce you get them separated its a party. Its not just that Sonic can separate them, its that he can keep them apart so well. Send nana flying to the other end of the screen? Most characters can't really do anything about that, just wat till nana gets back and try to handle the human controlled, and toougher popo. But Sonic can just escape from popo and go destroy nana, then go back to focusing on single IC, which is like, relative easy peasy

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Lol the Aegzter got schooled by Tenki.

Owell, you learn this stuff the hard way I s'pose.

Also we aren't newbies, we're players, learning to player.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So is it safe to assume we're good for ICs and can move on?

*Btw this is the 13th post.*

Boxob

Smash Champion
I'm going to learn IC's to play you ***s in normal Brawl.

Anyone want to play me right now? I have absolutely no experience playing as them. You'll win a lot.

:093:

aeghrur

Smash Champion
So I heard yoshi can chaingrab us. :( And he can F-air spike... and wavedash but it's called dragonic reverse... and he has a projectile... and he has superarmor on his second jump... and his aerials aren't bad.
But how do the priority of his aerials compare to ours? :O Anyways, I think D-air semi-spike can really help here because of the trajectory. :) That could get us some early gimps? :p

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yoshi's aerial priority > Sonic.

Yoshi can definitely chaingrab Sonic. As for followups, I'm not sure if he can land a U-smash on Sonic though.

D-air doesn't break Yoshi's DJ.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yoshi can't air-release Chaingrab.

If you look at the ONE video I have on youtube Vs. Naucitos, you could see that he would try to do something against me, but I punished him with a Spring.

God I look back at that video... *shudder*.

I wish I could record my matches... but it's not like I brawl too much anymore anyway, I mean what with quitting the AiB ladder temporarily, and just life... and the technical work required... *shudder*.

I really need to Brawl a Yoshi, be it with Ike or Sonic, I have no matchup experience.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
No, no, not to break the DJ, but to end a string. Instead of using like Fair, we use Dair for a semi spike, spring back to stage, and edgeguard? Maybe? =/

Edit: Does their grab count as a tether?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yoshi doesn't have a Tether.

And if he can CG, then apparently the lag on that battle was so bad... really bad....

I'm telling you I need to fight a Yoshi.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh you mean a Tether grab?

Well... he can't use it for a recovery, but it can extend and stick out...

@#$% I better shut up...

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yoshi's RPG (dayum, nice acronym lol. Retreating Pivot Grab) is one of his biggest assets in this fight. Why shield Sonic's approach when you can just perform a low-lag RPG? Basically, if you try to dash attack or do a committed aerial approach, you're vilnerable to getting RPG'd and suffering whatever kind of grabrelease followup he has.

On top of that, he can use neutral B to interrupt you in the air as well.

Eggs beat everything, btw.

If you're grounded, though, you can deal with them. Screech stop or whatever, then running/instant dash attack can punish Yoshi's ending lag on his RPG. Dash attack is your most likely punisher in this match.

Another idea that I should have tried earlier:

When edgeguarding or camping Yoshi's recovery, face away from the edge. B-air can hit him out of the armor frames while ouchranging Yoshi's recovering aerials. If he tries to D-air through you and you're on the ground, you can grab him and B-throw as he's passing you.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Its not super armor you idjits its heavy armor.
Honestly
Anyway Tenki covered most of it. Play a grounded game and it will hinder Yoshi a little since you can cntrol the spacing more easily. Just beware his aerial games. its rather dangerous trying to take him on.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I've never worried about his aerial game for some reason. Yoshi is also pretty heavy/large so if you do land an SDR/ASC, its party time.

I've faced a decent amount of good Yoshi's, and this matchup can be annoying. I remember how badly I was owned my very first round against a good yoshi as I'd never faced a good one before.

Egg toss is a pain, keep running a steady quick pace to not get hit by it much. His bair is annoying. His uair is powerful, but really, you shouldnt be getting hit with Uairs at all thanks to spring -_-.

The RPG is much too good. Characters with grabs as good as there cause Sonic trouble because he's so shield cancel heavy. Obviously, shields don't work against grabs.

Heavy armor frames are annoying, but they don't last for the duration of the whole jump anyways.

I dunno why, but I like using RAR in this matchup.

Ehh Neutral as I see it. 50:50. Perhaps slight Sonic advantage? Although I'm sure the Yoshi mains would disagree on a Sonic advantage XD.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yoshi has no follow ups on sonic from the CG
somebody find out what the damage cap is for yoshis heavy armor.
i know snakes cypher is 7% but im pretty sure yoshis is way more
either way. like i said a while back
ASC is really good against yoshi because if you can get it on his shield, the only things he can do are take the grab or spotdodge, which can also set up for a grab.
his back air has really stupid gay looking combos at low damages
neutral air is acombobreaker, it has mad priority and is a sex kick
ive seen yoshis up air compared to snakes up tilt. its super strong way fast and has a huge hitbox

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Good thing Sonic doesn't have any multi-hit moves like Snake's Nair that has a few dead-frames inbetween eh K.I.D.?

I don't think Sonic has to worry about Nair outher than using Bair to outprioritize it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Problem is when they do get their shield up, it's impossible to shield poke them. >.>

Top Bottom