• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Match-Up Discussion Week #6: Lucario

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;_;

Can we rename this Riolu picture discussion and talk about that <3<3<3

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Oh my god.

I'm stealing this picture for the Lucario matchup thread.

If we're lucky, someone may be able to twist Hawk's arm to post here with his thoughts. D:

As of now, the Luc mains consider it to be even. ROB can rack up a bunch of damage against Lucario offstage and long-range, but Lucario wins close-range and in the air (as long as we avoid the stupid Nair).

The only problem ROB has with Lucario is the fact the he can't kill us. As long as we avoid the Nair, we'll be seeing really really high %, which is really bad for you.

Also, don't forget that your SideB is a reflector and can land some hilarious kills, as nobody expects their Aura Sphere to be reflected by a ROB.

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Sudai, that image is win. yes.

If the Lucario player is very perdicable, I think R.O.B. will use the Rotar. But...if they are unperdicatble. That might be a little tricky no?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Yeah. Sudai, that image is win. yes.

If the Lucario player is very perdicable, I think R.O.B. will use the Rotar. But...if they are unperdicatble. That might be a little tricky no?
There are times when you just have an instinct of WHEN they are going to use it. If they've been holding a fully charged one for awhile, and your at the 120%+ range... look for it when your offstage/near the edge/spaced relatively apart from them. If the space is far enough, you let them launch it, and then use it. If not, its risky prediction

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I don't think Lucario s as bad for ROB as most people think. You have to cange a little bit kind of like Mario, but it's much more effective. Lucarios aura spheres are one of the only things Side B is usefull for, so any spamming one isn't a problem. The trick to Lucario is remembering to hold down your sheild. His smashes are long and if you spotdodge immediatly they WILL hit you. You can punish well with your wtfrape ftilt. Lucario can also be gimped pretey easily imo. He has good aerial priority but I find Glide tossing and lots of Ftilts keeps you at bay. This machup definatly makes it a lot ess safe to use bair though. The best option imo is maxing your ground game, as long as you don't run into any dairs.

I could settle with a 45-55 ROB

EDIT: I hope I update this I'm at school (and I hate this d@mn keyboard ;-; )

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm glad you guys like the picture, and by all means Kitamerby, steal it away. : )

Anyway

ROB vs Lucario

I'm gonna call this 55-45 in ROB's favor. 50-50 at worst.

Really fun fight.

Advantages:

ROB:
-Ridiculous Recovery
-Quick Projectiles
-Great Off Stage Game

Riolu:
-ROB has issues killing which means really strong Aura. : (
-FSmash is a great brickwall if we try to approach
-Some silly grap/Force Palm combos due to our weight

Approach Game
Riolu should be the one approaching in this game as the Aura Sphere just isn't enough to outcamp ROB. Luckily for Riolu, Riolu has some rather safe approaches. His FAir is quite nicely disjointed and lingers for a bit which means he can space well enough to not eat a DSmash OoS or a shield grab. I'm gonna go over some common Riolu approaches and how we should handle them real quick.

Double FAir on Shield
-I'm assuming perfect spacing here and a retreating second FAir.
-DSmash OoS won't hit, shield grab won't land.
-Best option is SH FAir OoS after the first FAir's linger is gone.

FAir > NAir on Shield
-Either try to time the SH FAir OoS like before.
-If you don't want to risk that, jump or roll away ASAP.
-Riolu's NAir has virtually no landing lag so it will almost always be followed by jabs, Force Palm, Grab, or some combination of those.

FAir > DAir
-Just laugh at this.
-DSmash OoS (after DAir before before touching ground, this won't always work but it works if they're about half way down your shield)
-FAir OoS (after DAir before touching ground)
-Shield Grab (after DAir before touching ground)

FAir > Double Jump > Anything
-Don't chase him into the air as you'll eat a DAir
-Stay in your shield until they get out of DAir range or you will eat one.

Ground Combat
You won't be in this situation unless A) you approach or B) Lucario lands with a NAir. In either case his UTilt and Jab both lead into combos and out speed 90% of your options. I tend to go for Jab > DTilt (jab is slightly faster and sets them up for the DTilt to push them away) and if at lower percents Jab > DTilt > FTilt or Jab > DTilt > Chase Grab. No matter what though, you do not want to be in this position against Lucario. It's bad.

Air Game
This is another one of those match-ups where the air game is so awkward. Both FAirs have good reach but Riolu's will win if he started it before yours. His FAir is just as disjointed as ours but slightly slower with a lingering hitbox. Riolu has a nice UAir too so avoid being above him (this is true for every character we fight though). One of our normal strong spots, being below, is almost completely negated by Riolu's DAir. With proper spacing and timing its still possible to get UAirs but its not nearly as safe. Even UAirs when Riolu is on a platform aren't too safe because of his DAir.. :/ In this match-up I tend to use a lot more BAir than I do in most match-ups as BAir will beat out Riolu's FAir and BAir.

Recovery
ROB will be racking up damage on a Riolu while off stage, it's a give. Gimps aren't guaranteed but he is one of the easier to gimp characters specifically due to his up-b. Do the normal projectiles/FAir/BAir to lower them and force their up-b. Once they have to up-b you can just chase them with FAirs and BAirs or if you're lazy and don't wanna risk them getting back, you can hang on the ledge. If you're on the ledge they either have to wall cling or land on stage. With either option just BAir them back out. (Wait for them to be on the wall or above land before doing though as they can still curve their up-b to grab the ledge near the end of it). Riolu's FAir and DAir help to keep him from getting in this position in the first place, but it's still highly possible to get him there, just not as easy as some would like.

While we're recovering, Riolu has a lot of options (albeit some rather risky) to edge guard. I tend to come in high to avoid DAirs and FAirs. Cover your landing with a gyro and make way for the ground. I basically try to follow the same patterns that I follow for recovering against MK, but it's less risky. :p

Killing
Riolu, though not the heaviest, still lives to fairly high percents if you can't gimp him. What makes things worse? The longer he lives, the stronger he gets. At high percents he can kill with DAir, BAir, FSmash, and a few other surprisingly strong (when fresh) moves. I'll let a Lucario player fill that in more, but once Lucario is over 140%, he needs to be dead. The percents we live to is highly dependent on the percents Riolu lives to. There is an inverse correlation between the two, essentially (not really but it seems like it) so the earlier you can kill him, the better off you are.

Landing FSmash is kind of hard to do in this fight but will work quite well if you land it. USmash will not be happening in this fight (stupid DAir) and UThrow doesn't kill till 170% with good DI. NAirs or BAirs off stage while he's trying to recover at high percents is probably the best option for killing him. I always start saving my laser right when Riolu hits 110% as that is more than enough to kill him with a laser while he's far out.

Little Tricks Riolu Has
Force Palm Chain Grab
-At 0% Riolu can get ROB to 15% with this at which point ROB can jump away.
-Riolu can follow with combos that are nasty.
DThrow or UThrow
-Almost always lead into a combo.
-Jump away and air dodge at the same time to try and avoid these.

That's all I can really think of right now. We want big open stages (FD, Japes) and I'm not quite sure what Riolu would like stage wise.

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
My input and opinion, for what it's worth:

At high percentages, Lucario can use his forward smash, upwards smash, downwards aerial, maybe his forward or upwards throws (unsure about this one), Aura Sphere (if not decayed), and Double Team (you won't usually see this move, but it won't be pretty if it lands).

The major issue is that R.O.B. has only a couple of reliable killers, but they decay horribly quickly. Pick a killer (neutral aerial) and save it. You don't want Lucario any higher than 130%...his attacks are about 175% the power they are at 0% damage.

I would say, actually, that your upwards smash isn't an awful idea to deter the downwards aerial (does it outrange his downwards aerial?). It might even kill a weakened Lucario and cause him to limit use of that attack.

Keeping away and using Robo-Beam and Gyro are good ways to get him into an advantageous position and to gimp, but each hit that doesn't kill may come back to kill you later. :)

My opinion of the match-up is either 50:50 or 45:55 (Luke''s favor).
The match hinges on if you're able to gimp Luke or if you have to continue the battle to dangerous percents. I just feel that R.O.B. has too little killing power to put this at its advantage.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I think Usmash outranges Lucario's Dair but I mean...it's not really a viable option
It sure is a badass option, though, and it sure deters the idiot Lucarios from spamming that Dair.

Also, a really cool thing about this matchup is that ROB and Luc use the same counterpicks. ROB and Luc both love Mansion, FD, and Japes, so counterpicks on either side really shouldn't be that much of a problem for either character. However, ROB's recovery negates our powerful advantage that we usually have on Frigate Orpheon. This can kinda give ROB the edge, since Frigate is a medium-sized stage, but regardless, Lucario still does fine on the stage.

Also, another tip. Don't try ledgecamping unless you like eating stagespikes from run-off Dairs and Bairs.

Raffi815

Smash Cadet
Lucario has a lot of combos that could work towards ROB because of his weight. But ROB has better a good attack range against lucario. ROB also has a good air game agaisnt lucario, he can easily spike him because of lucarios uneffective recovery. ROBs Aerials are very effective against lucario so I'd say ROB is a good match up against a lucario. No question.

Sudai

Stuff here
Lucario has a lot of combos that could work towards ROB because of his weight.
Truth

But ROB has better a good attack range against lucario.
False.
-The average of all (effective) moves between these two is about the same.

ROB also has a good air game agaisnt lucario, he can easily spike him because of lucarios uneffective recovery.
False.
-Only time you'll have a chance to spike is during lucario's up-b. You won't have time to do it during Extreme Speed's start-up lag (typing that feels counter intuitive) and a smart Riolu will see ROB start the DAir and just curve around it.

ROBs Aerials are very effective against lucario
Debatable
-They're good but not "very effective." Lucario has answers in aerial encounters.

so I'd say ROB is a good match up against a lucario. No question.
Did you even read any of the other post?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
50:50. Anything around that is right. :)

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I think this matchup is in favor of Riolucario, mainly because his smashes are most powerful where ROB's spacing would put him. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for his pseudo dodges before he smashes. (you know, where he kind of steps back before punishing that tipper tilt of yours with an aura-tipper fsmash?) Or just the fact that if the Lucario mixes up the tilts and smashes well, it can be hard to defend. If you guess that he's doind a tilt and spotdodge, but he's actually doind a smash, you get ***** by his smash.

I could be wrong. I might just have trouble with this matchup, I mean, it wouldn't be the first time. I still have trouble with Snake (and his god tilts! WTF?)

I kinda wish it was Riolu, actually. Much less threatening. And would probably get pushed around with fair more easily.

BTW that dair is broken...

GameQ

Smash Cadet
I would also say 50:50.

This match up swings with percentage. Riolu at low percent is really no threat, almost no matter what your percent is. But at higher percent the amount of range Riolu has on his smashes is mind blowing.

This is why fair/bair gimping is a must. if you can back throw a Riolu off the stage you can chase after him with fairs. Extreme Speed is pretty easy to counter in my opinion. If you fair away his second jump your in a prime situation to reverse your upB and bair him in the face.

If Riolu is at high percent you are almost forced to camp him. I am very scared of high percent Riolus, and this is why I make this a even match up rather then ROBs favor. Draddle/Laser combos work well to disrupt an approaching Riolu and if and when they get inside you, follow all the great shielding techs that Sudai posted.

Oh and don't get "soul crushed" by the force palm chain grabs, its look nasty but take a look at you percent when its done, it didnt really go as high as you may think.

I also like to recover high rather then low in the match up. Riolu Dair vs ROB Uair is about 40:60 in Riolus favor. Sometimes you beat it, but I find that they either cancel or Riolu goes through it mostly. Plus i don't like grabbing the edge versus Riolu. They can actually camp the edge with Fsmash, and edge hop to fair won't out range him.

As always keep your draddle out at all times. It can disrupt the force palm chain and they become predicable when trying to jump over it. Overall ROB has a better ground game. Its when Riolu gets aggressive in the air that scares me.

Sudai

Stuff here
Force palm chain doesn't work past 15% on ROB, fyi. DI up and away + Jump > retreating FAir to cover yourself from Riolu trying to FAir gets you out.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Force palm chain doesn't work past 15% on ROB, fyi. DI up and away + Jump > retreating FAir to cover yourself from Riolu trying to FAir gets you out.
Actually, if you want to be technical, Force Palm chain doesn't work. Period. You can break out of ForcePalm just like a normal grab.

Sudai

Stuff here
Actually, if you want to be technical, Force Palm chain doesn't work. Period. You can break out of ForcePalm just like a normal grab.
Nomnomnom. Sudai loves new information~ : D

Thanks for that Kita, I never tried. I just assumed it was like Bowser's Klaw where there was no way to break out due to the lack of pummeling.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
^^ I think he means you can break out with the insta-grab-break, not by mashing after you get grabbed.

I would also say 50:50.

This match up swings with percentage. Riolu at low percent is really no threat, almost no matter what your percent is. But at higher percent the amount of range Riolu has on his smashes is mind blowing.
He can be dangerous at low %. He can combo the hell out of ROB when his aerials and tilts don't have any knockback. Sure, they do low damage too, but they can string together a lot of stuff at low %.

This is why fair/bair gimping is a must. if you can back throw a Riolu off the stage you can chase after him with fairs. Extreme Speed is pretty easy to counter in my opinion. If you fair away his second jump your in a prime situation to reverse your upB and bair him in the face.
All very true. A random reverse gyrocancel can help too, they'll never expect it.

If Riolu is at high percent you are almost forced to camp him. I am very scared of high percent Riolus, and this is why I make this a even match up rather then ROBs favor. Draddle/Laser combos work well to disrupt an approaching Riolu and if and when they get inside you, follow all the great shielding techs that Sudai posted.
I'd be careful about camping a high % Lucario. Remember that a fully charged aura sphere will eat right through a fully charged gyro like it wasn't even there. If you don't powershield every single aura ball he will be outdamaging you also. At high % is when you should be trying to get rid of Lucario ASAP.

Oh and don't get "soul crushed" by the force palm chain grabs, its look nasty but take a look at you percent when its done, it didnt really go as high as you may think.

I also like to recover high rather then low in the match up. Riolu Dair vs ROB Uair is about 40:60 in Riolus favor. Sometimes you beat it, but I find that they either cancel or Riolu goes through it mostly. Plus i don't like grabbing the edge versus Riolu. They can actually camp the edge with Fsmash, and edge hop to fair won't out range him.
Agreed.

As always keep your draddle out at all times. It can disrupt the force palm chain and they become predicable when trying to jump over it. Overall ROB has a better ground game. Its when Riolu gets aggressive in the air that scares me.
Eh, be careful about leaving a gyro out vs Lucario. His dash attack is quick and high priority, good for picking it up, and his glidetossing game is almost as good as ours. Most Lucarios probably won't have a lot of experience with glidetossing but the good ones will know what to do.

I'm gonna say 55:45 ROB. Killing him early is very important, and even though ROB can't kill well, Lucario is one of the more easily gimped characters. There's really very little he can do about well-spaced fairs off the stage.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Lucario's dash attack is like a laggy DTilt. It's terrible, get out of here.

*shrug* What can I contribute? It's about all been said and I lean in the 55:45-ish direction. Don't let him bait you with FSmash and crap, go back to camping and just make him approach so he can't do it. ;/ He's a little more disjointed but his range isn't annoyingly large like Marth, you just learn the spacing as you go. And yay for being one of the most easily gimped characters in the game, it's like trying to edgeguard Fox/Falco without their Side-B.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Lucario's dash attack is high priority, relatively quick in terms of total time for a dash attack, and it combos very well into utilt/uair. Sure, it can be shield-grabbed, but so can almost every dash attack. My point is it's good for picking up the gyro, unlike, say, DDD's dash attack.

One thing I like to do against a fsmash-spamming Lucario is run into it, powershield, and jab OoS. It works every time. If you're bad at powershielding, you can space yourself a bit farther away and ftilt OoS, so you're out of his jab range, because he can follow fsmash up with jab fairly quickly.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Hurm, what's this?
Haven't you ever noticed that sometimes you break out of a grab instantly, regardless of percent? I believe it's done by pressing A at the exact moment you get grabbed, but don't quote me on that.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No, you can break out of Lucario's Force Palm grab at low percents. It's just like breaking out of a regular grab. It just becomes impossible at a certain percent because you'll have too much damage. You have to break out before Lucario hits you with his other hand. At least two people have done it against me before. Just mash like crazy. Most people don't bother trying/don't know. :)

Top Bottom