• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pensacola, FL Monthly #4: Brawl, Melee, and Low Tier! - 01/17/09

Ruse

Fox
Introduction
Despite a lack of local turn out at #3, it was really great. Jssn really surprised me by pulling out a boss *** Pit and taking the gold. Melee was fun, too, and I had forgotten how different it is. I hope that this time we can get more local representation and a larger Melee turn out (maybe Holy won't have to bail out early, either). If we had all of our locals we could have broken 25 easy, which would have been amazing for a town with hardly any Smash scene like Pensacola. I hope that we can draw in the out of towners again this time (including CJ, maybe :p? Sad that he couldn't attend #3). I almost decided against a low tier tournament since SBR's Tier List is outdated, inaccurate, and ridiculous, but Skaterbaj talked me out of not aborting it recently. In case no one has noticed, I've slowly been moving the times back so that people with prior obligations that night can still attend (#5 might open registrations at 10:00 and start at 12:00, and that's probably where I'll draw the line). Hope to see some new and old faces!

Next Tournament
Pensacola, FL Monthly #5 - 02/28/09

Results
Result Thread

Changes
-Added Fox to Low Tier list and added Halberd and Castle Siege to Brawl neutrals
-Revamped usable Low Tier characters and Brawl Counter stages - 12/27/08
-Added Attendants & Set-Ups section to the second post - 12/22/08
-Added the Color Blind Rule - 12/15/08

Links
-All is Brawl Link
-Regional Thread
-Florida Thread

General Information
Date:
January 17th, 2009

Time:
Please do not show up before 10:30am!
Friendlies and registration will start at 10:30am.
Brawl Low Tier Singles will begin at 12:30pm.
Brawl Doubles will begin no earlier than 1:30pm.
Melee Singles will begin no earlier than 2:30pm.
Brawl Singles will begin no earlier than 3:30pm.
Registration for individual events will remain open until the event begins.

Games:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles
Super Smash Bros. Melee Singles
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Doubles
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Low Tier Singles

Entry Fees:
Brawl Singles - $10
Melee Singles - $5
Brawl Doubles - $10 per team
Brawl Low Tier Singles - $2
Note: I will most definitely have change, but exact change would be appreciated. All of the profit goes back to the players!

Prizes:
Brawl Singles - 1st 50%; 2nd %25; 3rd 15%; 4th 10% if attendance is <20
Brawl Singles - 1st 50%; 2nd %20; 3rd 12%; 4th 8%; 5th 5% if attendance is >20
Melee Singles - 1st 50%; 2nd %25; 3rd 15%; 4th 10%
Brawl Doubles - 1st 50%; 2nd %30; 3rd 20%
Low Tier - 1st remainder of pot; 2nd $5; 3rd $3; 4th $2

Pensacola, FL 32505
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...5&sspn=0.104869,0.154495&ie=UTF8&ct=clnk&cd=1
Note: This is my home, not a game store or other venue.

Parking:
Please park your vehicles in the large grass lot across from my house. Refrain from parking in my yard, driveway, or on the side of the road.

Housing:
If you've driven a ridiculous amount of time (a few hours+), we could most likely give you a couch/bed/mattress/floor to sleep on. I'd say we can sleep five extra people comfortably, but more if necessary.

Cell Phone - (850) 982-2348
AIM - OSWEETEXTINCTION

Brawl Rules
Basic Rules:
-3 stock.
-7 minute timer.
-Items are set to "off" and "none."
-All sets will be best out of three matches, except for the losers', winners', and grand finals, which will be best out of five.
-The tournament will be double elimination.
-All playable characters will be allowed.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. In the rare case that both stock and percentage are the same, a one round one stock overtime will be played. The characters and stage will remain the same as the previous match.
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
-If a game ends with Bowser doing his Suicide Klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings before a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
-Stalling* is banned.

*Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Additional Rules for Double's Play:
-Life Stealing is allowed.
-Set team attack to "on."
-Color Blind Rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

Additional Rules for Low Tier Play:
Only these characters deemed "Low Tier" may be used:
-Bowser
-Captain Falcon
-Fox
-Ganondorf
-Ike
-Jigglypuff
-Link
-Lucas
-Mario
-Ness
-Pokémon Trainer
-Samus
-Sheik
-Sonic
-Yoshi

Stage Information:
Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.*
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.**
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match.
**Players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counter picked later in the set.

Starter Stage List:
-Battlefield
-Castle Siege
-Delfino Plaza
-Final Destination
-Halberd
-Lylat Cruise
-Pokémon Stadium 1 (Melee)
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island

Counter Stage List:
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Corneria (Melee)
-Frigate Orpheon
-Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Luigi's Mansion
-Norfair
-Pictochat
-Pirate Ship
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Rainbow Cruise (Melee)

Banned Stage List:
-75m
-Big Blue
-Bridge of Eldin
-Distant Planet
-Flat Zone 2
-Green Greens (Melee)
-Green Hill Zone
-Hanenbow
-Hyrule Temple (Melee)
-Mario Bros.
-Mario Circuit
-Mushroomy Kingdom I
-Mushroomy Kingdom II
-New Pork City
-Onett (Melee)
-Pork Town Aero Dive
-Rumble Falls
-Shadow Moses
-Skyworld
-Spear Pillar
-The Summit
-Wario Ware
-Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Melee Rules
Basic Rules:
-Items are set to "off" and "none."
-4 stock.
-8 minute timer.
-All sets are best of 3 matches, except for winners', losers', and grand finals.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
-No player may choose the stage they last won on unless agreed upon by both players.
-Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played.
-Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match.
-The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned.
-Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned.
-Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned.

Stage Information:
Set Format (in order of procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.*
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set.
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List.**
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches.

*Double blind character selection may be called for this match.
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage.

Random Stage List:
-Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
-Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
-Past Stages: Dream Land
-Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
-Special Stages: Final Destination
-Special Stages: Battlefield
-Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
-Dream Land: Green Greens
-DK Island: Jungle Japes
-F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
-Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
-Lylat System: Corneria
-Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
-Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
-Mushroom Kingdom II
-Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Banned Stage List:
-DK Island: Kongo Jungle
-Eagleland: Onett
-Eagleland: Fourside
-F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
-Hyrule Temple
-Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
-Lylat System: Venom
-Mushroom Kingdom I
-Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
-Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
-Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
-Superflat World: Flat Zone
-Termina: Great Bay

Ruse

Fox
Set-Ups
Unfortunately, since my house is not very large, we only have room for four set-ups. If you can for sure bring any of the following four items (no maybes!), please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated!

TVs:
1. Ruse
2. Ruse
3. Ruse
4. Mike Love
5. Mankosuki
6. Mankosuki
7. Mankosuki

Wiis:
1. Ruse
2. Mankosuki
3. Awal
4. Camus

Copies of Brawl:
1. Ruse
2. Mankosuki
3. Awal
4. Camus

Copies of Melee:
1. Ruse
2. Mankosuki
3. Mankosuki
4. Awal

Attendants
If you're planning to show up or think you might, please inform me! Also, tell me if you're bringing any guests (even if they're just maybes).

Definitely:
1. Ruse (Local)
2. Mankosuki (Local)
3. Holy Chef (Local)
4. Mike Love (Local)
5. Dan (Local)
6. God (Local)
7. DrNastyTime
8. -******
9. MSAS
10. Blue (Local)
11. Camus (Local)
12. Carson (Local)
13. skaterbaj (Local)
14. Fox (Local)
15. Bobby (Local)
16. Jssn
17. Awal
18. DBS
19. Deadweight

Maybe:
1. AsianHalfCaucasian (Local)
2. Lizard
3. Esper
4. 8
5. ragnarock
6. ragnarock Guest 1
7. ragnarock Guest 2
8. Clay (Local)
9. Orca (Local)
10. Stone (Local)
11. Eddie/Victor (Local)
12. Lime Juice (Local)
13. Neverender
14. Axel (Local)
15. Zip.
16. mero15
17. DeCoN (Local)
18. That Dooder
19. KBM
20. Nate (Local)
21. MrFTW

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
T.O crashing FTL..Ill prob make it and maybe Azn1/2 will to now that i kno he still is alive. I think he will easilly place top in low tier tourney

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Ill try to come.
Depends on if i can get a ride from the tally guys again.
Oh and I hope Awal comes cause he will destroy the low tier tourney XD Sonic ftw
Ill probably play in Brawl and low tier.

Jssn

Smash Journeyman
i got a really good lucas, =) and i havent used him in so long, i might come to this, im not 100% sure yet but its a 75/25% ... hopefully everyone else will......... By the way you should put this post on REGIONAL ZONES/ Atlantic South.

jssn

Ruse

Fox
i got a really good lucas, =) and i havent used him in so long, i might come to this, im not 100% sure yet but its a 75/25% ... hopefully everyone else will......... By the way you should put this post on REGIONAL ZONES/ Atlantic South.

jssn
Way ahead of ya :p.

Also, for anyone who is a fan of Lost and has seen every episode, you guys should check this out: http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2007/06/vozzek69s-theory-of-everything.html

F***ing crazy. It's not spoilers or anything, just some guy's theory about a lot of stuff going on.

Ruse

Fox
lol its like u said the tier list is soo old now someone should ask someone in SBR when it will be updated
Like they give a s***.

Wish Sudai or someone motivated as hell was a BRoomer. They need someone to kick them into gear.

Didn't they release a Melee tier list every three months?

HolyChef

Smash Ace
1. guys should stop following sbr **** so much. you guys are good enough to make your own rules, tier lists, and other decisions. just make your own list of characters allowed in the low tier list and everyone else can like it or not play.

2. get rid of a couple cp stages. way too easy for opponant to gay you with the big selection
u should at least get rid of:
-Jungle Japes - trap comes every 10 seconds. people get killed by it too easily and way too often. mad dumb. for real.
-Luigi's Mansion - broken with certain characters.
-Pictochat - mad random ****. everybody knows it. just playing and relying on luck.
theres more stages i want out but i kno u like the huge selection of cp's so i dont wanna waste time tryin to argue those out when these are probably gonna stay anyway lol.

3. crew battle. $5-$10 per person.

Ruse

Fox
1. guys should stop following sbr **** so much. you guys are good enough to make your own rules, tier lists, and other decisions. just make your own list of characters allowed in the low tier list and everyone else can like it or not play.

2. get rid of a couple cp stages. way too easy for opponant to gay you with the big selection
-Jungle Japes - trap comes every 10 seconds. people get killed by it too easily and way too often. mad dumb. for real.
-Pictochat - mad random ****. everybody knows it. just playing and relying on luck.
theres more stages i want out but i kno u like the huge selection of cp's so i dont wanna waste time tryin to argue those out when these are probably gonna stay anyway lol.

3. crew battle. $5-$10 per person.
I hate a lot of the SBR stuff just as much as the next guy, especially the tier list. I can't believe they didn't even use five tiers like they pretty much ALWAYS have.

We could have some sort of crew vote on all of our CPs if you'd like. I'd totally be up for it. We could vote of low/bottom tier tourney characters, too.

Crew battle=yes. What time? Right before Brawl Singles?

skaterbaj

Smash Lord

-Pictochat - mad random ****. everybody knows it. just playing and relying on luck..
Jungle japes: Falco ***** japes(not mine but i read he ownz with >B

Pictochat: Everyone loves a pictochat

If anything i would just rid off Norfair that stage is BS

Lizard

Smash Ace
Representing the low tier tourney with Ness and Lucas!

Two of Fluxxed up's members have low tiers for mains......

This should be interesting!

Ruse

Fox
Representing the low tier tourney with Ness and Lucas!

Two of Fluxxed up's members have low tiers for mains......

This should be interesting!
Heh. Cool. Can't wait!

Also, FRIENDLIES/SMASHFEST AT MY PLACE TOMORROW! 4:00pm-whenever. Bring set-ups and a controller for yourself. All local Smashers are welcome.

Zone

Smash Champion
How many people usually show up for your melee side? just curious. Although This is same time as Tipped off 4 so I probably won't make this one. I'd like to know for future ones though since this isn't so far from Panama City :D

Ruse

Fox
How many people usually show up for your melee side? just curious. Although This is same time as Tipped off 4 so I probably won't make this one. I'd like to know for future ones though since this isn't so far from Panama City :D
The turn out was pretty small last time, but a lot of people couldn't sign up/show.

Ruse

Fox
Hopefully Fluxxed up can be in full attendance along with some other PHB attendees

Team Juke perhaps?
Great.

I'll talk to the PCola kids about trying to bring our scene in its entirety to Tally some time soon (God and Holy are out of town right now, sadly).

DrNastytime

Smash Cadet

well me and a few friends went to the last one and the trip wasn't bad so i say go, hell we could ride together if u like cuz we're planing on going to this one... and maybe future ones just let me know if u really wanna go although my friends and i would only be goin for the brawl stuff...

Ruse

Fox
Added RSVP/Set-Ups section. Please tell me if you can bring a Wii/copy of Brawl or Melee/TV! It'd really help us out or if you are/might be coming and of any guests that might be accompanying you.

I'm not going to come in dead last this time. Top ten, promise (top five, hopefully).

B_AWAL

Smash Master
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

No, seriously, Panhandle Manhandlers are too ****.
Rice was the 1st person to ever seriously KICK MY ***...

I don't wanna play against his team. U guys should come to Our Melee tourney, Green Mario vs Rice is something I REALLY wanna C!!!

Lookin forward to the Pcola tourney guys!!!

Ruse

Fox
Rice was the 1st person to ever seriously KICK MY ***...

I don't wanna play against his team. U guys should come to Our Melee tourney, Green Mario vs Rice is something I REALLY wanna C!!!

Lookin forward to the Pcola tourney guys!!!
They're both sick a** players. (IMO, Rice would win, but I could be wrong.)

It'd be an interesting set. I don't know why the Panhandle Manhandlers don't attend Tally Melee... they're seriously boss at that game.

Ruse

Fox
I'm feeling iffy about SBR's low tier list, so I have a proposed roster for suggested usable characters I know that it's only slightly alter, but I feel like none of these characters are easily tournament viable and deserve some representation in a $2 almost-completely-for-fun tournament:

Bowser
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Ike
Jigglypuff
Link
Lucas
Mario
Ness
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Sheik
Sonic
Yoshi

Discuss. Disagree. Dismantle.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I'm feeling iffy about SBR's low tier list, so I have a proposed roster for suggested usable characters I know that it's only slightly alter, but I feel like none of these characters are easily tournament viable and deserve some representation in a $2 almost-completely-for-fun tournament:

Bowser
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Ike
Jigglypuff
Link
Lucas
Mario
Ness
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Sheik
Sonic
Yoshi

Discuss. Disagree. Dismantle.
No Ike, He's 2 GOOD in the hands of some1 that knows how to use him. In fact, the winner of the 1st Gamestop tourney used Ike. But yeah, Ike is 2 broken... Bowser has Hella priority as well...

Ruse

Fox
No Ike, He's 2 GOOD in the hands of some1 that knows how to use him. In fact, the winner of the 1st Gamestop tourney used Ike. But yeah, Ike is 2 broken... Bowser has Hella priority as well...
I don't think that Bowser has more priority over the other characters than MK does over everyone in the top/high tiers.

Also, I don't think Ike can kill at as low of a percentage/live as long as DK can against top/high tiers.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
yeah but that gamestop tourney was when the game first came out. and the person playing Ike was Lee from louisiana who plays at a higher level than most people. he can basically beat most of us with any character. no meatriding intended.

i like the list but i think solo climber should be added so i can use him lol.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I don't think that Bowser has more priority over the other characters than MK does over everyone in the top/high tiers.

Also, I don't think Ike can kill at as low of a percentage/live as long as DK can against top/high tiers.
Ike can Kill easily at 60.

Bowser def has priority, fight a GOOD bowser and its easy to tell.

Ike can easily live long against low tiers.

It doesn't matter, this tourney will just b another oppoortunity to show Y Sonic should B in Mid tier :-p

B_AWAL

Smash Master
not that easily. anybody can see his smashes coming froma mile away. if u get hit by one, u deserve to lose that stock lol.

edit u should alllow solomar or at least nolimar.
Good Ike's can time these things. Hell a friend of mines got good with Ganondorf B4 the last tourney lol!

Ruse

Fox
When someone we know starts coming in top 10 with Ike I'll reconsider my decision. Or if a better point is made (not trying to be a ****, Awal, but I just don't think Ike could really be viable in (our) tournaments, so it's kinda logical to stick him in with the low tiers).

Also, lol at Bowser in general.

Top Bottom