• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I think the Ness vs. Ness match up is done... It's like 90-10 because of the no contest screen. Without it's 100-0 Ness.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Where's that pic from the Melee Ness boards (good times...) of a ditto and a blackboard and stuff? That was awesome.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
Grab release chains are fun to do in Ness dittos. As a Ness main you should know your weaknesses, and take advantage of them when you play dittos.
100-0 (autowin) Ness :D

jalued

Smash Lord
any machup advice for GW and lucario? i am trying to work out who to use vs each character, and since ness is one of my mains, and vs lucario atm my 2 other chars are at about (40/60) and (45/55), just hoping he does ok vs him. i know GW is prob a very bad machup though

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Ness should be grabbing a lot.

Ness' best weapon in the Yoshi matchup is dash grab and maybe spaced forward airs.

Ness should also be counterpicking to really gay stages so he can abuse the fact that he's one of the few characters that can consistently break Yoshi's double jump (if he lands it, which is much tougher than people think) for real. Ness' down air breaks the jump at 0%, but Yoshi knows (and if he doesn't, he'll know immediately after) and you'll be hard pressed to land it very often, which is why you'll want some gay stages to help you out.

Ness lacks good options to KO aside from the grab and down air in this matchup simply because Yoshi has no reason to go in the air to get intercepted by up aerial and every other KO move Ness has is horizontally-based, or can be DI'd horizontally. As such, even breaking the jump with something like a back aerial (as unlikely as that may be) can see Yoshi using eggs and his natural air speed to bring himself to the edge with no problem.

Oh yeah, be really gay with PK Thunder, too, that mess is annoying. >_>

I don't do ratios, so you guys can call it as you see it, but I think Ness should be playing super gay and annoying since I don't think going head-to-head with Yoshi at mid and close range is a good idea for him. Yoshi is the better mid and close range fighter here, but Ness can sneak in nasty surprises with enough patience.

P.S. - I know you guys main Ness, but please don't bring up PK Fire for this matchup. I don't know how you guys feel about that move, but it doesn't belong in this matchup at all.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Yeah, PK Fire is probably one of Ness's more situational moves in terms of usefulness. If anything, it will be used to approach (PK Jump) or for spacing but apart from that it doesn't really do much.

Ness's biggest advantage in the matchup is his range against Yoshi. However, Ness also has to worry about Yoshi's defensive range as well. The bad thing about the matchup for Ness is that Yoshi has the superior midrange game and it's difficult to keep close to Yoshi at all times. From that range, Yoshi has his eggs and his pivot grab. However, I do strongly believe that Ness has a better close and long range game (slightly better for long range, though).

Ness's two main approaches should be with fair and dair. However, Yoshi will attempt to keep Ness in midrange to as to keep the advantage since he shouldn't rely on his shield. Ness could conceivably approach with DA or a grab, but it's important not to.

I'm not sure how PKT reacts with Yoshi's shield, but it probably doesn't matter since it won't shieldpoke him at all.

That's all for now

Gindler

Smash Champion
I seconday Ness and I can safely say that compared to yoshi, I have alot easier of a time KOing with Ness, Bthrow, Dair, and PKT2 are all so nice.

If yoshi plays really annoying it can be tough though, mainly the pivot grab and egg toss (aka, a campy yoshi). I've grabbed Ness' out of pkt2 (the latter part, not the invincible amazing KO part of course), and fair repeatably, that Dair is really tricky for some reason though I don't know what it is so I'd probably use that as an approach. I'm sure all will agree that yoshi actually has the better recovery, although I do know Ness' recovery is pretty underrated itself. Try unleashing project omega as well since most people have no idea what that actually is.

Not sure what the ratio is but from my experience with the two of them I'd say Ness has the advantage in this matchup. Mostly just because of the fact that yoshi's approaches are limited thanks to Ness' Utilt (underrated move) and his Fair. I'll try thinking of a ratio sometime

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I agree with Ness having a small advantage over Yoshi.

I don't understand Shiri's pk fire comment though. I've always thought pk fire is fairly mediocre.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
umm not sure if this will help you guys but heres my Yoshi vs Ness opinion

MY strategy
Usually Ness uses Pk fire on me, i simply short hop and either Nair, or Dair i will pick Dair in case
Ness recovers....Ness also tends to short hop a lot and tries to Dair me, in wich i counter
by using pivot grabs or some eggs, now Ness can easely switch up these two by jumping and using pik fire, or chacnging the timing of his Dair with a second jump, but if i adapt his moves wont work

when i succesfuly smash Ness i try to counter his recovery i avoid spiking him cause it may end up killing me with his amazing Dair, i either approach him with Eggs, or maybe even a surprising egg roll
tough i dont use since he can really counter it with ease, my most used moves is
Nair, Fsmashes, Pivots, and Dsmash sometimes

Ness counters
i have gotten my self rapped by ness Fairs it counter my Bair so easely its not even funny,
Ness also uses PK thunder to get a few hits when im above him, his grabs can be instant kills sometimes
even with DI, but hes gotyta watch out for Yoshi Dair, if ness misses that kill grab he might get punished
sometimes i seen some ness mind game me with PK thunder, they hit me a few times and then charge themsefls at me, it is really strong but be careful and just adjust the distance between yoshis attacks and your Pk thunder speed

umm most likely analazy what yoshis main approaches are and counter them, if hes on the air Fair, if you manage to jump above him Dair, if hes camping use pk fire, also avoid using standard B, i have never been able to get hit once by one of them unless your prediction is superb and your mind game is at its peak go ahead it kills really good,

thats all i can say i can ratio since im sure a lot would disagree and well i hope this helps ^_^

Uffe

Smash Hero
rel_12 (Yoshi) vs Ness_success (Ness)

I fought that Ness main about six months ago and he wasn't easy. Of course at the time I sucked with Ness. Still, just something Yoshi can do. Give rel_12 five stars, too. Someone voted that as poor, which is ridiculous. I think the player or a friend got all butt hurt about him being three stocked. Plus, rel_12 uses Ness, too. :p

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
I love using ness!

I'm actually starting to pick him up!

the only ness i've played irl is vice grip

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
I love using ness!

I'm actually starting to pick him up!

the only ness i've played irl is vice grip
vicegrip is a beast with ness

i friendly him once
online though

yeah i think the match up is slight advantage 55;45 yoshi IMO

ness has some weird *** combos
that are annoying as hell when playing with yoshi

the double fair seems effective against yoshi
and the bair and dair for ness are nasty
i know others but i dont remember well

the battle in the air is close
our uair can do some nice damage and killing and our nair is good here
our bair here works ok
but ness has nice options also

we can egg camp you true
which can be good
and ness jumps dont help him much avoid the eggs

pk fire might be overrated for some
but it is something that can help here

our jab up close is annoying for you and our tilts can be a pain also
seeing as it can beat the yo yo in speed

our upsmash can kill your spacing
but usually i personally dont up smash much when ness is in ground
cause usually i get a pkfire to the face

though up smash is effective when ness is short hopping or just makes dumb moves in air

your bat isnt as strong as lucas

your grabs are good though
very

our pivot grab is effective if your try to approach with bair

we can gimp you
depending how fast we react
taking the pk thunder and you drop to the your death
or we can get hit by your thrust

i usually just egg spam when your recovering
unless im sure i can gimp you

you cannot gimp us that easy
we can just air dodge your dair or bair

but this is my opinion
hope it helped

Shaky

Smash Ace
If only PKNintendo could organize this : 1. Saying what page each of the characters discussed start on
or 2. Making a summary of the matchups in the first post ;_;

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
S

:metaknight: Meta Knight:
1190 to 1228

:snake: Snake:
993 to 1032(revisit later since Snake board didn't respond much, well two offered their opinions)

1905 onward

:wario: Wario:
151 to 158

1324 to 1385

:falco: Falco:
1036 to 1128

:diddy: Diddy Kong:
1500 to 1679(With mini-Ike argument and a non-consensus)

2277 to...

Topic

:dedede: King DeDeDe:
946 to 992

A

:marth: Marth:
1665 to 1767 (Being largely ignored...)

Mr. Game & Watch:
Topic

:pikachu2: Pikachu:
517 to 545

:olimar: Olimar:
472-495(Needs a revisit as 1 Oli came here and there was a Mk tangent)

:popo: Ice Climbers
423 to 456

:rob: R.O.B.:
579 to 684

:kirby2: Kirby:
267 to 322

B

:lucario: Lucario:
1807 to 1891(With Olimar tangent)

:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus:
323 to 364

:toonlink:: Toon Link
133 to 141(Very short. Rediscussion later?)

:pit: Pit:
373 to 421

:dk2: Donkey Kong:
167 to 194

549 to 578

C

:peach: Peach:
Post 16 to 34

:luigi2: Luigi:
1247 to 1324

:fox: Fox:
918 to 946(maybe a bit more discussion?)

:wolf: Wolf
Topic

:sonic: Sonic
142 to 149(Very short. Rediscussion later?)

:shiek: Sheik:
237 to 251

1408 to 1417

D

:bowser2: Bowser:
1129 to 1189

:zelda: Zelda:
195 to 228

:ike: Ike:
Post 34 to 45

457 to 470

501-513

E

:lucas: Lucas:
Post 3 to 15

:mario2: Mario
Post 46 to 96

688 to 813(Pretty heated discussion in there)

:ness2: Ness:
1417 to 1453

:yoshi2: Yoshi:
1453 to 1487

:samus2: Samus
Post 99 to 131

Also 159 to 166

F

:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff:
1230 to 1245

:falcon: Captain Falcon:
824 to 916(A lot of Game & Watch interruptions though)

:link2: Link:
229 to 235(Very short)

:ganondorf: Ganondorf:
1385 to 1408

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
If only PKNintendo could organize this : 1. Saying what page each of the characters discussed start on
or 2. Making a summary of the matchups in the first post ;_;
Those summaries have to be small though.
IF the first post is too big it... breaks.

Happened on Zelda boards. Although it might be 'cause of images. (**** us Zeldas and our love of pretty!)

Yeah it's likely a small thing in Ness' favour. I experience it to have just a bit working against me, but I also seem to be at the part in my personal development of metagame relation to Yoshi where he seems to be better than he really is (i.e., it goes horrible, then cool, then mediocre, I'm at 'cool').

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
me and burntsocks played on saturday (He's the best Yoshis in California at least) and I beat him 2-1. Some of the most intense, epic matches of the whole day. It's either even or in Ness's favor, I'm thinking even.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
sockz is beast. His Yoshi is too good, he ussually does so much better, he just had an off day or something.

Shaky

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot AdamantNess for the organizing!!! Anyways, I mained Yoshi before I mained Ness, now he is my secondary. A few things to say about the matchup:

1. Fair outranges Yoshi's bair (one of his main approaches)
2. Dair, Usmash, Uthrow, Uair : These are the attacks that I find very useful in this matchup. Since most Yoshis will try to Down b when you are below them, time your pkt so it can turn into a swell surprise when they are coming down.
3. Powershield Eggs
4. Don't get too close to the ledge when Yoshi is offstage (lots of people fall into the rising dair to uair/nair combo)
5. It is better to airdodge rather than dair when you are below them since Yoshi's uair comes out a lot faster than your dair.

I hope this helped.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Don't forget to mention the tongue. That thing can grab you out of your aerials if Yoshi spaces it well. Of course, a well-placed dair usually evens that one out though.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
Thanks a lot AdamantNess for the organizing!!! Anyways, I mained Yoshi before I mained Ness, now he is my secondary. A few things to say about the matchup:

1. Fair outranges Yoshi's bair (one of his main approaches)
2. Dair, Usmash, Uthrow, Uair : These are the attacks that I find very useful in this matchup. Since most Yoshis will try to Down b when you are below them, time your pkt so it can turn into a swell surprise when they are coming down.
3. Powershield Eggs
4. Don't get too close to the ledge when Yoshi is offstage (lots of people fall into the rising dair to uair/nair combo)
5. It is better to airdodge rather than dair when you are below them since Yoshi's uair comes out a lot faster than your dair.

I hope this helped.
We dont even think of using yoshi bomb in air
thats really dumb move to do

now if you said a yoshibomb in the ground where we can kill ya and get you off guard
then its different

but us yoshi mains dont bother using yoshi bomb in air

Shaky

Smash Ace
We dont even think of using yoshi bomb in air
thats really dumb move to do

now if you said a yoshibomb in the ground where we can kill ya and get you off guard
then its different

but us yoshi mains dont bother using yoshi bomb in air
I am talking from experience, but I guess the good Yoshi mainers would not do that.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
they would only use yoshi bomb if ness is in the air also but still is unlikly, powershield eggs... eggs can be used in different ways such as to make time to think, pushing u back, gettin closer, stop u fromd approaching (throeing egg where u may be next), ect.

if ur fair out ranges bair air it shouldnt be by much at all(i could be very wrong)

im not sure but its would seem a spaced pivot grab out ranges ALL u attack (i think). this should be stressed as yoshi can **** with pivot grab. yoshi has LOOOOOOOONG reach with his dash grab, neutral grab is rarly used.

but be sure to stress pivot grab

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I agree with Ness having a small advantage over Yoshi.

I don't understand Shiri's pk fire comment though. I've always thought pk fire is fairly mediocre.
IM BACK!

CPU busted up :(

@ Colin

At first I thought so to, but i've come to learn that the move is borderline good.
I mean against Yoshi... Yeesh.

So to wrap things up, small adv for Ness?

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
So to sum it up

+ Grabs and spaced forward airs are good
+ Use Pk Thunder well
+ Fair and Dair should be used for approaching

-They can egg camp
-Watch out for pivot grabs
-jabs and tilts can outspeed yoyo
- stronger mid range game

More should probably be added. When I get more time, I probably do a sum-up of the other characters.

Top Bottom