• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Peach

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Peach matchup.

D

Deleted member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFxE3O6wj0&feature=related
^Teh matchup :) /Harmless advertising of me winning
Its a hard matchup, but its very winnable. Play super gay, dont be impatient, usmash ***** peach hard, you WILL get comboed hard unless you have good SDI to get out of dair. For example, i get combod from 0-64 in that video, but you cant get impatient, just try to camp to avoid down airs, go for uair kills since usmash will usually be stale.

Its prolly slightly peach's advantage, but really the person who outplays the other will win.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I have no match up experience vs Yoshi at all. I think Meno might...

I'll help as much as I can. What I've noticed about Yoshi is that (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can't sheild poke him with attacks. This means that he doesn't need to worry about Peach's Dair shield poking him

On the other hand though, he can't jump out of his shield...can he do anything out of his shield actually? If not, then Yoshi's OoS options against Peach is...well, rolling I would have thought. But that's not great since Peach can follow you with more Dairs

Yoshi can't grab release Peach btw. And unless my testing is wrong, Peach's aerials won't stop Yoshi's Egg Throw. She can Toad/Airdodge them but that's it I would have said. I have no idea how good they would be against stopping Peach Float/edgeguarding her. They pop her up when they hit so for gimping her recovery, I imagine they wouldn't be great unless she's really far away and Floating back to the stage at a lowish percent

But yea, like I said, I have no Yoshi experience. In general, watch out for her Dair/Fair/Turnips/Floating stuff

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This matchup is awesomely challenging.

Niko has minor Yoshi experience that he might be willing to share.

As for down air on the shield, it cannot shield poke, and Yoshi can either spotdodge the last two kicks OoS and run or crawl away.

Upsmash is actually quite comical against Peach, especially at 0% and other low percents. Peach is known for comboing best from 0% and while Yoshi is not capable of such consistent damage racking abilities, he can do really silly things in this matchup like triple upsmash at 0% at goofy stuff like that.

Spacing against Peach's forward air is key. Pivot grabs, crawling, retreating airdodges, etc., all help to avoid her basic pushback/KO move. Spacing against this move should be priority number one.

If you do not know how to ASDI or Smash DI, this matchup will teach you how to do it, LOL. Don't get comboed, Yoshis! <3

D

Deleted member

I dont need SDI, i take dair combos like a man XDDDD

Altho, the spotdodge OOS sounds useful bahahah.

Sharky

Smash Master
Shiri, I'm pretty sure there is no ASDI in brawl, lol.

From my experience, Yoshi will usually fall behind in the first half of the stock due to Peach's combos, but Yoshi can make up for it with a good camp game. Usmash is really good in this match-up, especially if Peach tries to come in with a mistimed floating dair.

Also, if you shield/spot dodge the dair, is there time to get a utilt/smash in, or can peach nair too quickly?

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
I have this match down to a science given how much i play with edrees

I'd say it's 55-45, maybe even as good as 50-50 the big thing is that you need to get out of her combos and it's pretty easy with proper DI, It's also a process of knowing how to shut down her approach and what beats what

camp wise yoshi and peach are pretty tied (eggs, turnips) but most good peaches (like edrees) don't sit there and spam turnips, they use the turnips to cover their approach and apply shield pressure (turnip to dair is a common combo, the turnip makes you shield then dair to apply pressure)

Dair is definitely a problem to most yoshis sense it is a seemingly unpublishable high priority move. but u-tilt beats it :)

force peach to airdodge when above you sense she has a pretty bad one (use eggs ect.) and punish with an u-air works well.

if peach uses fair alot at low percents it makes the match much easier sense aside from fair peach doesn't have many good kill moves. (u-smash is good but is a hard to land hitbox)

thats a quickie, i gotta finish a paper and work on my script i'll get more later :)

Airborne

Smash Lord
i noticed one thing that rowan likes to do is retreating fair into fsmash.... i haven't played him to know of anything else, nor have i analyzed any other peaches b/c rowan is one of my 2 main targets at this upcoming tourny..... he's good for midwest....

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I personally hate fighting Yoshi as peach. (looks at Green Ace lol) Yoshi's camp game is superior. Egg tossing on the ledge works wonders. If you find yourself within peach's dair quickly DI out of it and Nair. If you see peach falling towards you with dair, usmash. Yoshi's Usmash beats beats dair everytime.

Shiri

Smash Chump
i noticed one thing that rowan likes to do is retreating fair into fsmash.... i haven't played him to know of anything else, nor have i analyzed any other peaches b/c rowan is one of my 2 main targets at this upcoming tourny..... he's good for midwest....
:yoshi: If Peach is retreating, remember...

...you do not have to run in. You are under no obligation to catch up with her. Trotting is good for coaxing pseudo-punishers and such, but don't commit fully unless you are 100% sure of what you're doing. Characters with range like Peach has that are retreating can only set up for very bad things, LOL.

P.S. - WOW THIS IS THE BEST F*CKING SIG EVER WTFFFFFFFFFF

Airborne

Smash Lord
:yoshi: If Peach is retreating, remember...

...you do not have to run in. You are under no obligation to catch up with her. Trotting is good for coaxing pseudo-punishers and such, but don't commit fully unless you are 100% sure of what you're doing. Characters with range like Peach has that are retreating can only set up for very bad things, LOL.

P.S. - WOW THIS IS THE BEST F*CKING SIG EVER WTFFFFFFFFFF
well it's kinda like floating towards you doing an fair while retreating (a little... like enoug space for a pivot smash for yoshi...) and do a lagless land to fsmash when she lands.... he does to trick you into trying to punish his fair.... so it's not that much of a problem...

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Out of all of Peach's aerials, fair is the most intimidating to my Yoshi. Simply because his bair has a good chance of getting spanked out of the way. Usmash *****....so hard anti-air against many characters, Peach being no exception here. Fair is the only thing I see getting past or at least trading hits with Yoshi's up smash. Eggs do quite nicely for pressure. Pivot grabbing against predictable air assaults does well also.

I'm not a frequent of Peach, but whenever I am it's usually not a huge problem at all. I feel Yoshi has a good advantage over Peach.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
hmm, i wouldnt call it an advantage, given how much safer peach is, and how turnips can cover her so well.

also peach is hella hard to gimp (if at all possible) her up-b is like marths and her second jump is amazing!

it's a very even matchup and dair beats f-smash if peach spaces right (i know from expirience) plus you're gonna want to save the u-smash in this match (just like how most peachs should be saving their fairs) use u-tilt instead, in fact u-tilt is amazing in this matchup

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, kills on the side are hard to do against a Peach. I usually aim for sky KOs, but that also depends on the stage.

I can see the uses of utilt here. Turnips on the other hand....I'm not sure, but couldn't dash attack cancel that out?

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
yeah, they can but i mean it's not very useful, sense dash attack can get you punished given peaches mobility and once you have the turnip you're very limited (yoshi doesn't have the great options peach does with turnips).

Also this is really risky because turnip priority is different based on the faces, so for example a stitchface you absolutely sodomize yoshi's dash attack :(

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach should approach this matchup grounded, powershielding the eggs. Eggs are a great way to force her to drop float during recovery...

Peach's best thing in this matchup is that she's already really good at shield pressure, and Yoshi's inability to punish well out of shield helps a LOT. However, Peach doesn't have anything that really demolishes Yoshi, and same to Yoshi.

The matchup is near even IMO, I'd put it slight advantage to Peach (55-45). Since you Yoshi's are probably used to overcoming greater odds, that's probably not bad at all xD

camp wise yoshi and peach are pretty tied (eggs, turnips) but most good peaches (like edrees) don't sit there and spam turnips, they use the turnips to cover their approach and apply shield pressure (turnip to dair is a common combo, the turnip makes you shield then dair to apply pressure)
Oh man, it's refreshing to go to a matchup discussion without half the boards having this crazy idea that we spam turnips as a projectile. They're not a projectile, they're a spacing tool. Thanks :)

Personally, I'm a big fan of glide toss to jab to grab. I think this would especially give Yoshi a hard time.

Energy Whip

Smash Cadet
Peach is most very good becuase of her turnip attack but like everybody said there equal because of Egg/Turnip thing going on but Peach would just jump and stay in the air for a while with her Umbrella while Yoshi used his Egg Roll attack.

D

Deleted member

I disagree praxis, though i would close a little bit of distance grounded, i wouldnt actually go in grounded.

Peach's float game can screw yoshi up once its unsafe for yoshi to egg.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Peach should approach this matchup grounded, powershielding the eggs. Eggs are a great way to force her to drop float during recovery...

I'm not too sure about this. Yeah, Eggs do screw around with her float but turnips and dair are great at pressuring Yoshi.

Peach's best thing in this matchup is that she's already really good at shield pressure, and Yoshi's inability to punish well out of shield helps a LOT. However, Peach doesn't have anything that really demolishes Yoshi, and same to Yoshi.

However, Peach has priority. We have to be very weary on every thing Peach does because of her priority and seemingly lagless attacks. Her jab also gives Yoshi problems IMO.

The matchup is near even IMO, I'd put it slight advantage to Peach (55-45). Since you Yoshi's are probably used to overcoming greater odds, that's probably not bad at all xD

I agree.
IMO the matchup is in Peach's favor, solely because of priority. Yoshi has work just a little bit harder in this matchup.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: How do you guys think that Peach and Yoshi go about edgeguarding each other?

There are so many ways for both characters to recover; does either side find edgeguarding the other character particularly easy and, if so, how do you go about doing it and how effective do you think your techniques are?

Xyless

Smash Master
I have had horrible experiences so far against my friend's Yoshi. He rarely plays as Yoshi (tries to keep him a surprise), but the 4 times I've played against him (3 of these being Peach), he's 2-stocked me. It's those darn eggs. Just can never get around them...ever.

I need more experience dang it (Yoshi).

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
To edgeguard Peach, I throw Eggs to force her out of her float. I don't try to go and attack her often because then she is able to use floating nairs and fairs, which outprioritizes each of his aerials. If she is at killing percentage and she is about to grab the ledge, I sometimes run off the stage and use a falling uair to try to get a surprise kill.

D

Deleted member

Peach cannot be edgeguarded. Best you can do is throw eggs, but NEVER go out. It doesnt work. The only time is if you suspect you can land a surprise dair to maybe gimp.

Peach can edgeguard yoshi if she reads and airdodge and fairs.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
her Up-B

it's literally like marths, and she is VERY good at baiting, even offstage. and the parasol is a hitbox.

As for hey edgeguarding yoshi I've never had too much trouble getting back on the stage, Edrees typically comes out a bit but he'll never actually leave the stage sense it's too risky for peach considering she can really get screwed (if she loses that second jump her up-b may not save her, plus her second jump gives NO vertical distance, only horizontal so in order to get off stage to guard a peach is almost forced to use that second jump, which if taken away from her off stage [depending on angle] is an almost sure death.)

Edrees would typically edgehog and use f-air to f-smash on the side of the stage (fair to bait airdodge ect.)

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
IMO the matchup is in Peach's favor, solely because of priority. Yoshi has work just a little bit harder in this matchup.
I'm not too sure about this. Yeah, Eggs do screw around with her float but turnips and dair are great at pressuring Yoshi.
Let me explain a little more; Peach should approach grounded so she can powershield the eggs and not get camped, but then shorthop-float-dair or shorthop-float-fair-autocancel-jab-grab or glidetoss-grab at close range. Turnips and dair are great for pressuring Yoshi, but Peach should remain grounded at range for the shield.

However, Peach has priority. We have to be very weary on every thing Peach does because of her priority and seemingly lagless attacks. Her jab also gives Yoshi problems IMO.
Yeah, Peach's ability to autocancel and her jabs really mess with Yoshi, especially with his inability to punish her out of shield very well.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Let me explain a little more; Peach should approach grounded so she can powershield the eggs and not get camped, but then shorthop-float-dair or shorthop-float-fair-autocancel-jab-grab or glidetoss-grab at close range. Turnips and dair are great for pressuring Yoshi, but Peach should remain grounded at range for the shield.
Oh I see what you mean.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Shoot, I should've recorded that match of me 2-stocking PG's Peach. :(

Egg Spam all day folks. :yoshi:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Shoot, I should've recorded that match of me 2-stocking PG's Peach. :(

Egg Spam all day folks. :yoshi:
I swear, I'm the only person who can powershield these things consistently >_<

(though they're horribly annoying during my recovery)

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok, i'm going to a tourny today, and i'm hoping i'll face rowan when i get there.... so, ill try to share my input...
update: i got to face rowan, but only for one game, and it was a friendly that happened 13 hours ago, during doubles sign ups... and he two stocked me... so i didn't get much knowledge out of it... sorry guys... T-T

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
What was your conclusion in this thread? I see a lot of 50-50 and 55-45's.

Perhaps someday I'll get to fight moar Yoshi's :/
Also, the Peaches are discussing the Yoshi matchup in return now. Your turn ^_^

Airborne

Smash Lord
What was your conclusion in this thread? I see a lot of 50-50 and 55-45's.

Perhaps someday I'll get to fight moar Yoshi's :/
Also, the Peaches are discussing the Yoshi matchup in return now. Your turn ^_^
i think that we should make it 55-45, just so it can drive me to work harder against peach.... i don't want any arrogant thoughts running through my head until i'm seen as a respectable yoshi nationwide.... =P

Airborne

Smash Lord
GO GO YOSHIS!

Tell us all your breakfast-projectile secrets!

Peach Weekly Match-Up Discussion - Week 30: Yoshi
- in depth Yoshi v Peach discussion

Peachy Counterpicks: YOSHI - Where will he die?
- simple "pick that stage, ban this stage" talk

We currently have it around the 50 - 50 range. GO! Help keep the inter-board cooperation alive!
y'know i would have to say that the peach boards have to be the most friendly boards to us right now.... either them, pika, or maybe wario....

Top Bottom