• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sir 0rion's sketchbook, Part 1 (Yes, I do requests.) 56k warning

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Link to original post: [drupal=1520]Sir 0rion's sketchbook, Part 1 (Requests welcome.) 56k warning[/drupal]

Ever since I got my scanner, I've recently gotten into a fun little habit of doing sketches on reuqest. I'm not exactly sure what possessed me, but I've been having a blast doing them for my friends at GameFAQs, and I wanted to share them here, as well.

Basically, I made a request topic in which I would draw anyone or anything (I prefer the latter, as I struggle at drawing people) within a certain spectrum of guidelines, and the response was actually quite flattering.

Personally, I've always thought my drawing style to be a little cartoony and funny-looking, but I do enjoy sketching things out for the heck of it. So, without further ado, let's take a look at my sketches. Most are self-explanatory, but I'll also post the request as it was given to me and/or throw in a comment or two as I go through each of them. I won't post ALL of them, but you can view my album if you're curious about the others.

The first picture was a bizarre request to have a Blastoise shooting Squirtles out of its pumps. Your guess is as good as mine.

Blastoise was really hard to draw, and I messed up its hands, but it was a start.

Following that, someone requested that I draw someone playing a saxophone. Simple enough.

FreeFallFelix requested - unsurprisingly - a picture of someone free-falling. In this case, I used Kirby. If you ever see me drawing Kirby, it's because I don't want to draw a person and want to cheat.

Someone asked me for a picture of Homer Simpson getting ready to kill Peter Griffin with a sword. Truth be told, Peter would probably beat the crap out of Homer, but oh, well.

Someone asked me if I'd draw a picture of Master Chief playing a Z-shaped guitar. Not only was this a strange idea, but Master Chief is psychotically hard to draw.

I used to like to draw Sonic characters when I was a kid, so it was fun having someone request that I draw Knuckles in his old "idle" animation from Sonic & Knuckles.

This picture is perhaps my single favorite of all time. So much so that - as you can see - it's now my avatar. The idea was bizarre enough - a shark cuddling a teddy bear - but I fell in love with it.

And here's the full version of what the picture would later become:

A person then asked me if I'd sketch a top hat with a monocle for an eye and yarn tendrils coming out of the bottom. Is there even anything you can SAY about an idea like that?

Another example of me cheating. Someone asked me to show someone in the act of arson, possibly on someone else. So...

Remember, violent acts are justified if the good guys are doing them.

At this point, I like to think that my style has really begun to improve. Someone had a ridiculous (not to mention hard-to-draw) request; an Electabuzz throwing a hadoken with a Magmar doing a shoryuken and Wobbuffet looking on.

Ironically, the Wobbuffet is the one I'm a little disappointed with, here. ^^;

The next request I was given was a wild card - draw anything I wanted to draw. So, I drew Yoshi. And it was my full intention from the start to use this picture on the upcoming second OTL signature, or something similar.

I'm really happy with how this turned out. And it was around this time when I really started experimenting with colorizing my pictures. This was the first "color" version of the drawing:

...And this is the version that will be featured on the upcoming OTL signature:

Most of the rest of the drawings I've done to this point have also been colorized. The first both-ways sketch I made was a request for Minun. No one but Minun. Here is the pencil sketch:

...And the final color version:

This one I didn't color, but I probably could have (and probably will). It's a picture of a platypus eating a cookie.

I got another "wild card" request from someone who briefly had me playing Neopets with him. As such, there was really only one thing for me TO draw that would fit the occasion:

And the original color of this little shoryu:

I had to shrink it down in order to preserve quality this time around. It was due to a tactical mistake on my part, while I was still getting used to my coloring process. The bright side is that this version is almost perfectly-sized.

A person requested that I drew what I thought of when I saw his username (Emperor Luigi). So, I drew it; complete with Superstar Saga-style highwaters (which I've always found hilarious).

And of course, the color version.

I tried to draw out the red stripe on his socks, but it didn't stand out too much. I'm still getting used to drawing hands.

...And finally, my most recent sketch, thus far. A request to draw Geodude juggling pokeballs. He's either nervous that he'll drop them or get captured by them.

And last but not least, the color version of it:

The gold band I made on the pokeballs seems to work well enough, though I changed their overall model a bit in retrospect.

So, I hope that you've all enjoyed that. I believe that my style is already visibly improving, just based off of this timeline; and I hope you all agree.

At any rate, I'd be happy to do any of your own requests, either via PM, Visitor Profile Message, AIM/YIM/MSN, or just by replying on this blog. I just have a few ground rules:

-Each poster may request ONE PICTURE from me at a time. If you'd like, you may specify whether you want a pencil sketch, a color, or both. Just remember that some pictures are more difficult for me to color than others.

-The picture they request can be a picture of any character or thing they want, so long as it doesn't violate TOS.

-I own the sketches, and I or anyone else can use them freely so long as this is acknowledged.

-If the person requests something abstract that can't be drawn, it invalidates his request.

-If I haven't heard of the character/thing you're requesting and can't find it on Google images within a couple seconds, be ready to provide a picture for me to use as a reference. You can do this preemptively if you'd like.

-I'll draw the pictures when I darn well feel like it. My turnover is usually very fast, but I make no promises.

-I make no guarantees whatsoever that the drawing will be even slightly good. Caveat emptor.

-Please restrict really negative comments if possible. I'm drawing these things entirely for free and on my free time, so if you think the pictures are sketchy or odd, please bear that in mind.

Other than that, I'll be happy to do any picture requests. I hope you've enjoyed this first part as much as I have.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I just love these ^.^
My favorite would have to be the blastoise and squirtle one =)
My request is for that one to be colored ^__^

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I just love these ^.^
My favorite would have to be the blastoise and squirtle one =)
My request is for that one to be colored ^__^
You've got it. And thanks for the compliment! :bee:

Here it is:

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Would you want to draw a picture of Pikachu wearing a red bandana
with Lightning striking all around her?

This makes me want to do something like this, but can I put images on?
I have tried but they wouldn`t show up :(

D

Deleted member

Can you please draw a picture of Scyther, Pikachu, and and Kirby at a table playing poker (Texas Hold 'em) they should have 2 cards in each ones hands and have 4 cards on the table. Kirby should have 1 chip left, Scyther should have most of them, and Pikachu should have a few. Have Scyther throwing a poker chip at Kirby.

I know, pretty specific, but if you could do it at all, that would be awesome.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
That was fast =D
Does that mean I get another request? =]

Jigglypuff & Pikachu <3
Done...

And done.

Enjoy.

I LOVE the cartoon-amateur style.

Make a coloured Mech-style Blastoise.
This was a little hard to picture, but here you go!

And speaking of Pokemon requests, this one is cross-posted from GameFAQs:

By the way, guys. I do draw stuff other than Pokemon. ^^;

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Would you want to draw a picture of Pikachu wearing a red bandana
with Lightning striking all around her?
Here you go!

Since you said that she was a girl, I made sure that she fit the description of a female Pikachu (hence the tail, which is the female Pikachu design). You didn't specify whether you wanted her to have the bandana on her head or around her neck, so I just pulled the trigger and went with this design. I hope you like it! :bee:

Here is the original sketch:

This makes me want to do something like this, but can I put images on?
I have tried but they wouldn`t show up :(
What do you mean? Like, how do you display an image in your post? There are special tags for it. You have to type [ img]www.website.com/picturefile.png[/ img] (without the spaces in the brackets). Hope that helps you. :)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Can you please draw a picture of Scyther, Pikachu, and and Kirby at a table playing poker (Texas Hold 'em) they should have 2 cards in each ones hands and have 4 cards on the table. Kirby should have 1 chip left, Scyther should have most of them, and Pikachu should have a few. Have Scyther throwing a poker chip at Kirby.

I know, pretty specific, but if you could do it at all, that would be awesome.
I won't kid you - this was a REALLY tricky one to do, mostly because of Scyther. I assumed that you had something in mind when you requested this, so I didn't caption it this time. I hope you like it!

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Wait, shouldn't this be in the Artwork Emporium?

Anyway, These are really AWESOME!

Not like the awesome like when you ride a rollercoaster 5 times in a row, no no its even more awesome than that.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Wow thanks :D
Haha, I like it.
And oh ya, I always forget the Pikachu that
is the main Pikachu is a guy sorry I didn`t mention exactly what I wanted.
Sorry it was kind of late at night lol.

Now could you draw Kirby Metaknight and Dededededededede
on top of the Halberd?

And oh, thats right, you have to get them from a website:p
What website do you put them on?

D

Deleted member

I won't kid you - this was a REALLY tricky one to do, mostly because of Scyther. I assumed that you had something in mind when you requested this, so I didn't caption it this time. I hope you like it!

Holy crap dude! That's like 90% accurate to what I was thinking! It was really fast too! Sorry about Scyther being tough to draw though, I hope it wasn't too bad.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Wait, shouldn't this be in the Artwork Emporium?
Well, I intended to use this as a sort of picture blog for whenever I draw something, so I could comment on it; but I could post some stuff there, too.

Anyway, These are really AWESOME!

Not like the awesome like when you ride a rollercoaster 5 times in a row, no no its even more awesome than that.
Awww... I appreciate it. ^^;

on top of the Halberd?
I'll get on it in just a bit.

And oh, thats right, you have to get them from a website:p
What website do you put them on?
What exactly are you trying to do? Upload a picture from your computer so that you can show them here? Then you can upload your pictures to various sites and make links for them. Photobucket and Imageshack are both popular choices. Photobucket has a lot of customization options, while Imageshack doesn't requitre registration. You can pick your poison from there.

Looks like scyther is throwing a chip at pikachu rather than kirby.
If he is, Pikachu would have to jump really high up to get it. I think the trajectory is just about right, but I'll get a protractor and measure it out exactly for you next time. :laugh:

Nice drawings. I like the Pokemon Poker one.
Much appreciated! :bee:

Holy crap dude! That's like 90% accurate to what I was thinking! It was really fast too! Sorry about Scyther being tough to draw though, I hope it wasn't too bad.
Nah, it really wasn't so bad; just making more out of it than there was. The only think that kept puzzling me was how Scyther would HOLD a poker chip, let alone toss one nonchalantly to someone. Yay, suspension of disbelieve. :laugh:

At any rate, I'm really glad you like it. I was happy to do it for you. :)

finalark

SNORLAX
Request time: Can you do me a favor and draw Jak (specifically Jak II's Jak) fighting Gordan Freeman? If so, thanks. If not, okay then.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Sir Orion Please draw me something ****ing adorable

with a Penguin

<3

D

Deleted member

I'll try to make this one easier and more open to interpretation than the last,

- if you can squeeze time into your probably busy schedule, could you please draw a robot holding a can of tomato soup?

If you draw this, do it however you like, feel free to add to it and such.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Sir Orion Please draw me something ****ing adorable

with a Penguin

<3
Well, I'm not entirely sure how cute my penguins are, but this one is productive, at least:

And the original pencil sketch:

Request time: Can you do me a favor and draw Jak (specifically Jak II's Jak) fighting Gordan Freeman? If so, thanks. If not, okay then.
Just to let you know, I'm not skipping you; it's just that yours will take longer to do. I'll get to it, though. :)

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Orion ;)
I had an idea,
since you are getting so many requests,
maybe we could work together and I could do some,
Or, we could both draw the same pictures. :)
If you wanted to.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Can you do a Chibi me with my 7 electrodes?

I pretty much have brown curly hair and eyes. and my physique is like that of my Trainer on my Avatar.

lawl curly hair, love to see someone try to pull that off.

Edit: You gave me an idea to do. If I have free time this summer, I'm going to do the same thing as you but with my cartoon characters, I'll give an option of which one of my characters to draw and what you want them to be, it would be a great opportunity to get my comics out there and make people happy, I just enjoy drawing them =D

thanks for the inspiration.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Thank you Orion ;)
I had an idea,
since you are getting so many requests,
maybe we could work together and I could do some :)
If you wanted to.
Well, it would sort of defeat the purpose. I made this blog to chronicle the improvements I'm making to my drawing style and to offer people something of my own. Certainly, there are people that can draw and color better than myself, but I'm just doing my part to offer what I can. I have no doubt that you're a good artist, so by all means don't let me stop you from taking some art requests on your own, but I'll be able to manage the requests I get. It's why I leave my deadlines open. :)

Thank you for your VERY generous offer, Outlaw. :bee:

Can you do a Chibi me with my 7 electrodes?

I pretty much have brown curly hair and eyes. and my physique is like that of my Trainer on my Avatar.

lawl curly hair, love to see someone try to pull that off.
Could you send my a VM/PM and show me a blown-up picture of your avatar, so I have something to go off of? Thanks.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Sorry Orion, I meant no offence.
It is just a good idea, and I wouldn`t want to rain
on your thread by making one just like it, so...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Why would I be offended by it? I know you didn't mean anything by it. :)

JOE!

Smash Hero
ooh! i have what should eb a fun one:

The most epic falcon PAWNCH possible for :falcon: to be doing to :metaknight:

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
on top of the Halberd?
This was, BY FAR, the most complex project I worked on. I wanted to put everything into making this one look good. As such, it is my first FULL-COLOR, FULL-PAGE picture. Because of this, I didn't want to put a signature/dedication on it. Notice in particular the clouds/night atmosphere I added to this (made from scratch). It was a work of love.

And say what you will about Kirby, but darn it, he has his priorities STRAIGHT! :laugh:

And of course, the original sketch:

You know, It's a little hard to get a feel for exactly how tall these guys would be compared to the Halberd. I used my time playing Kirby Superstar as well as some of the scenes from Subspace Emissaries to make a ballpark estimate. If it's not right, it's because they took a shrinking/growing mushroom before the picture was taken. :laugh:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Can you sketch the Symphony of Destruction that has Vic Rattlehead(he is my avatar and my sig if your wondering what he looks like)

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
I just want to see tongues. Lots of tongues. I've been trying to draw them myself lately, and I'd like to see how you approach the tongue.

-Remember, the tongue extends far down the throat.

Thanks ahead of time maybe

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
In case anyone's wondering the sketch that's slowing me down at the moment is the Jak vs. Gordon Freeman picture. :ohwell:

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Oh, don't worry about it. I'm just saying I want to put the proper effort into it, and drawing people (especially realistic ones like Gordon, adapting him to more cartoony environments like J&D while keeping he himself somewhat realistic) is the most time-consuming sketch type for me. That, and I'm still not entirely satisfied with Jak's feet yet. When it comes to hands, arms, necks, and feet, I tend to be VERY critical of myself, because I have the most trouble with those.

I'm making progress on it, though, so bear with me. :bee:

Edit: I can't BELIEVE this! I colored in the first half of the picture COMPLETELY and then somehow didn't get it saved! ARGH! :mad:

Top Bottom