• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon likes fruit

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

Banana choking

"Banana choking" is the outcome of my latest research.

I was playing around with Ganondorf's GlideToss the other day.
Then I came across this worthless it seems-technique, which I don't know if it's already been discovered or not. Most likely, it has.
However, I don't think anyone cares, cause it is totally worthless.
(Let's call it "Studderstep Downtoss" for now)

It's performed by starting a dash and then immediately tossing an item down using the C-stick; just like performing Ganondorf's iDA, but with an item.

Again, this technique is... err... WAS totally worthless... until now.
You see, when you mix the StudderStep Downtoss with the Gerudo, crazy **** starts to happen!

"Banana choking" is the term for
[Gerudo -> StudderStep Downtoss] (while holding a banana peel.)
It deals 8% damage, 17% combined with Gerudo, and knocks the opponent back.
You should've figured out by now that this is killer Vs Diddy Kong.

( Important! Banana choking doesn't work without
the StudderStep Downtoss.
The StudderStep Downtoss is what makes all of this possible. )

Yep. If you just throw the banana straight down after the Gerudo, it'll miss Diddy 80% of the time. Plus, even if it DOES connect, it'll only make Diddy trip without dealing any damage, and then he can escape before you can do anything.

Performed correctly, it's a GARANTEED 41% damage-Gerudo, that works at ANY % !
Banana choke -> Pivot Fsmash (
41%)
Kills Lv9 Diddy at 55% at the center of FD. (Sweet spotted)
Banana choke -> Gerudo -> Ftilt (39%)
Banana choke -> BDC stomp (39%) {+Uair at low %'s (51%)
Banana choke -> Gerudo -> Dtilt (38%)
Banana choke -> Gerudo -> Jab (35%)
Banana choke -> SH FF Fair (34%)
Banana choke -> iDA (32%)
Banana choke -> Wizkick (29%)
Banana choke -> WP (50%) {Garanteed if Diddy buffers a GetUpAttack.

This can be used for both damage racking AND killing!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz6EMulsx00&feature=channel_page

Useful thoughts/hints/tips
EDIT: A Downward GlideToss appears to be MUCH more effective than the Studderstep DownToss!
I found that Diddy can DI away slighty after the Gerudo, giving him enough space between him and you, so that you SS DT misses. However, a downward GlideToss can't be escaped, since it gets Ganon closer to
Diddy before throwing.
Plus, it's way quicker than the SSDT (meaning it doesn't have to be as framepefect as the SSDT).
Also, when you hold a banana people often tend to sheild expecting you to throw it. So it should be easy to start up the Gerudo!
Ganon could re-grab the Banana before it lands and could follow up with a gerudo techchase, meaning another 30%. How is that not awesome? And the fact that Warlock Punch is garanteed on attack makes tech chasing Diddy a bit easier.

ShinGaruda

Smash Journeyman
Heh. And here I was trying to figure out what to do after tossing the banana down after a flame choke. Good work once again, Z1GMA. This will definitely be useful against any Diddy.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Amazing stuff. I'll be sure to use this combo against my friend who plays diddy. I already know how to use his bananas against him, but with this...he'll be dead in no time.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
You should've added FTilt as a true follow-up after gerudo, in the video. It should kill a lot faster than DTilt.

Other than that, great find.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
You should've add FTilt as a true follow-up after gerudo
Added that to the OP now, at least..

###########

EDIT: Just did some more testing.

O_O'

We now have a semi garanteed Warlock punch!
How does that sound?
If Diddy buffers a "get up attack" after the Banana choke-knock over, a buffered WP is garanteed to connect.

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
awesome find. Not only is this awesome i 1v1s, Ganon now has awesome team potential with diddy.

which is great for me. Thanks!

Gleam

Smash Ace
Da*n it Z1GMA, stop being so smart. You have once again proven yourself the compotent Swedish Ganon I know and respect. I can't wait to see what else you bring up.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Wow, the matchup might turn from... idk, 80:20 to 75:25!

I want to team with a ganon now XD kosk genesis

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
This is too epic. It's nice to see some new breakthroughs in Ganon's game.

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
You are too smart Z1gma. :) Im proud of you! :p
Also, when you hold a banana people often tend to sheild expecting you to throw it. So it should be easy to start up the Gerudo! :D Sweet mindgames...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Also, when you hold a banana people often tend to sheild expecting you to throw it. So it should be easy to start up the Gerudo! :D Sweet mindgames...
You're so right... And sometimes you could just throw the banana and THEN Gerudo, for a change.
... As you said, sweet mindgames.

You really should start practicing Diddy now, Tonsana, so that we can **** in 2on2's ;}

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Wow, the matchup might turn from... idk, 80:20 to 75:25!

I want to team with a ganon now XD kosk genesis
Probably more than that. I started messing around with this a bit myself and found this to be VERY useful. Ganon could re-grab the Banana before it lands and could follow up with a gerudo techchase, meaning another 30%. How is that not awesome? And the fact that Warlock Punch is garanteed on attack makes tech chasing Diddy a bit easier. I don't know weather Banana choking > Gerudo > DTilt would be better than Banana choking > Re-grab Banana > Tech Chase > more Banana choking > Fsmash for the kill. Diddy needs to be at 55% damage at least for a Banana Choke > FSmash kill.

The only problems I see with this are, landing Gerudo, grabbing the Banana, and making sure the other Banana's not on stage.

Edit: Couldn't we get Diddy in a Banana lock, by Banana choking, if the other Banana happened to be under him? Banana lock > Stutter step DownToss > Forward glide toss (by picking up the other Banana) over and over again?

Darkrow

Smash Rookie
Well this just be real useful against my friend and any other diddy I come across. Nice find!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ganon could re-grab the Banana before it lands and could follow up with a gerudo techchase, meaning another 30%. [/COLOR]
I'm a little confused here, Kalm. What 30%?

EDIT: A Downward GlideToss appears to be MUCH more effective than the Studderstep DownToss!
I found that Diddy can DI away slighty after the Gerudo, giving him enough space between him and you, so that you SS DT misses. However, a downward GlideToss can't be escaped, since it gets Ganon closer to
Diddy before throwing.
Plus, it's way quicker than the SSDT (meaning it doesn't have to be as framepefect as the SSDT).

Superspright

Smash Lord
That sounds a lot easier too. Also, if you glidetoss past him with the downtoss, wouldn't it be easier to space the warlock punch just enough to hit him if he buffers his getup attack?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
if you glidetoss past him with the downtoss, wouldn't it be easier to space the warlock punch just enough to hit him if he buffers his getup attack?
Nope.. The WP gets served at a silver plate if you SSDT. If both you and Diddy buffer your stuff, the WP is garanteed.

In fact The glidetoss might mess up your spacing a bit, cause of its different boost lenghts.

I'd suggest to only use SSDT when going for the semi garanteed WP.

Superspright

Smash Lord
But I thought that glidetosses have variable slide lengths based on the timing? I play ROB a lot, so I know how to do short-glide tosses and long ones depending on what I am attempting to do [I love doing short down tosses then picking it back up and doing it again for mind games].

But you're probably right anyway. It would be easier to do it your way. But I'd love to see gdorf slide past him for a reversed warlock punch. God I'd cream myself--probably a few times. I might have to put down my controller from the ecstasy.

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
*must get back to playing brawl*

This looks really cool. Find something similar for other characters. Maybe ZSS next? ;)

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
Well, I just thought that maybe you could Choke->Stutter Step Down Toss with a piece of armor could work in a similar way. :)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Arright, this is next on my Checklist of Carnage.

Also, I'm local to Canada's best Diddy, apparently? pastaboy? Yeah. Should have fun going up to him with this.

I have to stop sucking first. *shifty eyes*

EDIT:
I played around with this today and it is AWESOME. I wish Ganon always had a banana available. :lick:
Ganon + Diddy for doublez. A match made in Alternative Dimensions of Existence mindblowing to those native to our own.

... ****, we need a picture up in here. I'll see if I can get MrEh to help us out...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Well, I just thought that maybe you could Choke->Stutter Step Down Toss with a piece of armor could work in a similar way. :)
I've tired most of the Gerudo -> item toss.
Unfortunatly Gerudo -> armor toss, doesn't deal more damage on SSZ than just a Gerudo -> Dtilt; nor does it have Jab Lock attributes ;\

Banana Choking is by far the most effective Gerudo -> item toss (that can be used in a NO items match)

Ganon + Diddy for doublez. A match made in Alternative Dimensions of Existence mindblowing to those native to our own.
Yeah.
Diddy pulls out a banana peel, and shouts "Hey, Ganon! Catch!"
... Ganon suddenly has a 41% Gerudo + better mindgamez.

Top Bottom