• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wander's Texture Gallery: Mostly Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Since I suck so hard at making original costumes or character recolors from other series, I decided to try and recolor some of the characters to match their default Melee costumes. The first three I came to also happened to be the most commonly used characters: Fox, Marth, and Sheik. I do plan on doing more later (requests?), but these will have to do for now (downloads at the bottom):

Changes:
-White jacket and boots
-Brighter green pants and shirt
-Brighter orange fur
-Blue eyes

Changes:
-White trim around the shoulder guards
-Lighter hair
-Lighter blue undershirt with golden trim
-Magenta inside of the cape
-Deeper blue cape (not visible)
-Darker sword, brighter hilt
-White outline around the red jewel clasp
-Recolored gloves and boots

Changes:
-Brighter yellow hair
-Darker skin
-Brighter red eyes and Sheikah symbol
-Blue shading on most of the costume, especially the formerly grey parts

Changes:
-More vibrant blue feathers
-Brighter yellow beak
-Brighter, larger red ring around the eyes
-Yellow jacket
-Brownish red pants
-Silver boots
(*Note that Falco's hands are unchanged in the snapshot, but fixed in the PCS download)

Changes (just about everything):
-Blonde hair
-Purple top
-Pink gloves
-Very pale pink dress
-Bright red hem on the dress
-Completely recolored flap on the front of the dress

Changes:
-Yellow-er hair
-"Peachier" colored dress
-Darker red under-dress
-Redder shoes (like anyone will notice)
-Darker eyes
-More gold decorations around the jewel on her chest

Changes (not much I could do here, either):
-Golden brown (delicious) skin
-Greener shell
-More orangey hair

Changes:
-Lighter...everything. I think I accidentally brightened the hair instead of darkening it, but I'm too lazy to fix it.
-Note that FitPopo01 is a Nana-first costume. I recommend FitPopo03, where Popo is first - it's their double-blue costume.

Changes:
-Lighter green everything
-Slightly darker overalls
-Tanner face
-Lighter shoes

Changes:
-Lighter...everything. Really. Hair, clothes, boots, eyes, everything. Are you noticing a trend? How in order to make things look more like last gen, I have to make them more brightly colored?

I can't tell the difference and neither can you.

Read: Luigi

So Samus are you okay, are you okay, are you okay Samus?
(alright, so I made the arm cannon darker)

Kirby, is that you? (the bottom one is the alt if you can't tell; Jigglypuff was the only character to my knowledge who actually got brighter in Brawl)

Changes:
-Darker skin
-Brighter red shoes and shell
-Brighter spikes
-Solid black eyes

Changes:
-Brighter red hat and shoes
-Darker blue bill and pants
-Highlighted stripes on the shirt
-Reshaded backpack and bat (pretty much unnoticeable, but still)

Changes:
-Brighter blue skin and tanner...skin
-Brighter shoes
-Recolored shoe buckle
-New shoe sole

Changes:
-Red hair
-Golden armbands and bow
-Darker skin
-Blue jewel on the shoulder clasp
-Redder boots and belts
-Brighter shield
-Yellow "pants"

Changes:
-Darker pants, boots, gloves, and grey fur
-Lighter white fur
(based off his official GC design, which was pretty much all black with the blue jacket)

Changes:
-Flat yellow hair, green clothes, white pants, and brown boots
-Blue hilt on the Master Sword, light blue shading down the blade
-Recolored shield, front and back

Fox
Marth
Sheik PCS
Sheik PAC
Falco
Zelda PCS
Zelda PAC
Peach
Bowser PCS
Bowser PAC
Ice Climbers
Luigi
Link
Kirby
Mario
Samus PCS
Samus PAC
Jiggs
Yoshi
Ness
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Sonic
Pit
Wolf
Toon Link

Of course, you can change the numbers after the name to whatever you want; those are just the ones I had them set to.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
People have made some great Captain Falcon and Mario melee costume remakes. Yours are good though, especially Fox.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't plan on doing C. Falcon or Ganondorf in particular because so many people have already done great recolors of them. I'm currently working on Falco, and maybe Zelda will be after that. There's only so much you can do with Pikachu, Kirby, and Jigglypuff...

XACE-K

Smash Master
Great job Wander. I prefer some character's Melee looks to their Brawl looks so I'll definitely be downloading some of these.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Most of the screenshots are showing things brighter than they really are. In-game, Peach and Zelda's base dresses are a little darker and more visibly pink than they appear here.

I also debated giving Peach her SPP umbrella - I didn't, but I can still make an alternate texture if anyone happens to want the blue and yellow Perry umbrella.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Most of the screenshots are showing things brighter than they really are. In-game, Peach and Zelda's base dresses are a little darker and more visibly pink than they appear here.

I also debated giving Peach her SPP umbrella - I didn't, but I can still make an alternate texture if anyone happens to want the blue and yellow Perry umbrella.
I'd like to see the umbrella. :D
Any plans for Link/Toon Link? There's a few of those textures out there but I'm interested on your take on them.

Anyway, great job so far. :D Currently using all of them.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see the umbrella. :D
Any plans for Link/Toon Link? There's a few of those textures out there but I'm interested on your take on them.

Anyway, great job so far. :D Currently using all of them.
Here's my edited Peach with the recolored umbrella. Putting the face on it without it wrapping around would be too difficult, so I hope you don't mind a faceless Perry. Trivia: the file for the handle of the umbrella is p_u_shank.

I already have a very good Young Link that someone gave me, which I might upload later. I'll try a Melee Adult Link soon, but right now I'm trying to see if I can get Bowser to work.

Thanks for all the praise, guys.

5ive

Smash Champion
This is great stuff.
What about making the alternate costumes from Melee? We need Roy alternates for the upcoming Clone Engine.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I might consider doing Roy alts once the clone engine becomes more of a reality, but Marth has so many textures that all look the same it's hard to tell what piece will become what texture on the finished product. Let me put it this way: all of Bowser's body textures are on one sheet. Marth's are on four or five. I would certainly be interested, though.

I do have some ideas for DK (darker colors) and Ice Climbers (darker hair, lighter clothes) in mind, but for the remaining characters, it's really just a matter of lightness and not new colors altogether. The first ones that I made, ironically, were probably the most different and detailed. But that doesn't mean I'm forgetting about the others.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting pissed...step_2_create keeps shutting down when I try to add the eyelid textures for DK...

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Just some notes:

Because of all the transparency required to get DK's fur to look the way it does, modifying it in any way risks going over the color limit, which is part of why I couldn't get him to work. I'm going to try again later, but not right now. The first time, though, I was pretty happy with what I made.

I'm not really satisfied with the Marth (it was my first texture edit, before I knew all the tricks), and I definitely plan on redoing it.

The only characters I have not completed are:
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf

Donkey Kong
Kirby
Link
Mario
Ness
Pikachu
Samus
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Mr. Game & Watch
The ones in red I absolutely will not be doing because there simply isn't enough difference between their different appearances. The ones in blue I probably won't be doing because either there isn't enough difference or a quality one already exists. That really only leaves Link and Yoshi, I guess.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
I actually think Melee Luigi would be a great texture to do, since it isn't insanely hard and no quality texture of it exists in my knowledge.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Added the updated Marth.

Link will definitely be next since I've been putting him off the longest, but I might consider Luigi.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Just kidding, I love Luigi too much, and I just had to see what he would look like. He doesn't appear too different in the screenshot, but a side-by-side comparison in game makes the differences more obvious.

For this one, I actually used some of the Melee Luigi textures someone ripped to Spriters Resource. For example, the "hurt" eyes. However, this caused a tiny goof - if you pause right as Luigi is being hit, you can see he has two sets of eyebrows. I couldn't find the actual eyebrow texture on any of the sheets, and the eye texture I copied already had them, so...minor inconvenience.

I promise, Link is next.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Will you do 64 characters as well? And Melee Kirby?
I don't really plan on the first one. Most of them were just flat polygons with just one color, and translating that into a much larger model with higher poly count would just look ugly. I could certainly do it, but it would look like crap no matter what.

If you can tell me the difference between Melee Kirby and Brawl Kirby in terms of color, I'll do it.

EDIT: What's that? An Ocarina of Time Link that doesn't just fill in every texture flat green and white?

So...who should I do next?

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Too late, already done.

Looking at how much more dull and colorless the Brawl characters are, I may very well do Jigglypuff and Ness. But not Pikachu. Yellow can only get so bright.

(and his textures are all weirded out when you extract them)

I've never seen a texture thread with this many textures that consistently impressed me. Fine work

I'd honestly like to see Melee Mario, if just because Melee Mario is one of the most fun characters in the smash series for me. >.>

But don't trouble yourself if you don't want to. >.>

Wander

Smash Journeyman
You know, I'll probably get bored some day and do all those last characters I passed over at first. Including Mario.

I try to use as many colors straight from the Melee textures as a I can, but really, when you do side-by-side comparisons, the original characters look like zombies next to the Melee recolors. Even Kirby.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I don't know what's wrong with DK. I tried making his textures again, it actually compressed into the PCS this time, but now it freezes on the stage select screen. I'm really getting tired of making him over and over, so I may very well never finish him.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Seeing as most of the changes follow a similar trend of lightening, brightening, simplifying etc. (as you pointed out), are you going to do Melee versions of Brawl newcomers?

:p

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I certainly could. I'm pretty much done with the veterans, so...any first requests?

Wander

Smash Journeyman
^You're in luck, that's the one I happened to be working on.

For Sonic, I actually ripped some of the textures and colors directly from the Sonic Advance texture sheet. For example, the bottom of Sonic's shoes - they're dark grey, and with a completely different pattern now. It's not like many people pay attention to stuff like that, but it still counts.

I tried at Snake for a little while, but he has so many more textures than the other characters, and his face is actually one whole piece instead of half a mirrored face like everyone else. I promise I'll try at Meleeifying him, but it's going to take time.

Any other requests?

EDIT: DK still isn't working. If someone else has a reliable DK system set up, I'd be glad to show you how I was making mine and let you try it.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Haha that's good to hear :chuckle: Other requests though... I'm curious what you'd do with Ganondorf. If it has to be a newcomer though, I wouldn't mind seeing a Melee-fied Wolf

Edit: Ahh I see. I already knew about the Ganondorf ones that are out there, I was just curious if you would end up doing them any differently, since to me you did some of the ones that were already previously done in a more appealing way. Ah well, I'll just wait and see how the newcomers turn out haha

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I won't be doing Ganondorf (or Young Link) because there's already at least one extremely good Melee texture of him out there that I can link you to that basically looks like how I would do it. Making my own would essentially be a copy of that, and there's no point.

I just started on Pit, and once I'm finished I'll try Wolf.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying these so much. I always knew there were some people (myself included) who would have fun playing with Melee-like characters in the Brawl engine. Or who liked their Melee colors better than their Brawl ones. It just makes me angry that DK won't work, his was a pretty big color change.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Can you give a link to the melee ganon texture?

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Sure, one second.

EDIT: Okay, here it is. I don't know the original author, but I'm sure you could find it by looking around in the Texture Database thread.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Bump, and: I need to get some sleep now, but I ought to be back in a few hours. So far, I have these left to do:

Wario
Diddy
ZSS
Lucas
Lucario
Ike
Olimar
ROB
Snake

I might do PT, but like some of the others I mentioned before, they're already so basic in their coloring that there really isn't much I could change about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom