• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Kirby Matchup Thread, now discussing: LUCAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
****, this would be a match up I don't know much about despite being on the same state as one of the most well known Pikachu main. I can't help much on this match up. )=

DC

Smash Cadet

Alright finally, another match up I have tons of experience in. lol, It seems my crew has the best players of the weirdest characters (Lucas, Pikachu, ZSS).

I've played many Pikachu's in ATL South, but my crew member and doubles partner is ESAM. Possibly the best Pikachu in the nation (but not one of the most well known, he goes to tournies once in a blue moon really), you might know him from completely breaking Pikachu. Not to brag or anything, I just want you guys to know that I have real experience in the matchup. He's also really good at team killing and SDing in doubles, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOk_Y5bVYBQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04uX1TQTJM

Matchup: 55/45 Pikachu (read below)

Low Percents
Pikachu is almost like a mini Kirby. Small, light and speedy with a great grab game. At low percents, just as we have fthrow>upair (yes, that's it), Pikachu has fthrow>upsmash for a fun 24%. Even with around 5-7%, Pikachu can still do this but we get hit with the weak hit of upsmash instead of the strong hit. Even if you know i'st coming, sometimes it's hard not to get get grabbed at the beginning of a stock. Kirby is a very grabbable character since most of our hitboxes are hurtboxes too. If you can play very carefully and avoid this then great, but sometimes what I like to do is eat a thunderjolt. 6-9% is better than 24%.

The Ground
Not a lot of this particular matchup will take place on the ground. Both Kirby and Pikachu are amazing in the air but I'll get to that in a bit. Pikachu is a lot faster than Kirby, and if not running in for a grab or shieldgrab, most of the time spent will be shorthopping tjolts. Even with a powershield these can be hard to punish.

• [*]Dsmash - If you get too close, be wary of spotdodging because Pika's dsmash is a great GTFO move. If you're in the middle of a spotdodge and Pika starting up this attack (and this will happen), HOLD UP. That's it, hold up and you'll pop up out of Pika's dsmash before the attack ends (and before you get hit with the final hitbox). This can be dangerous though; if you start holding up too late, the attack will be inescapable. If you started holding up too late, immediately start holding left or right. The final hit of dsmash will send you upwards at an angle depending on which direction you were holding, making it harder to get thunderchase'd.
    [*]Upsmash - This move is stupid fast like the rest of Pikachu's smashes, but it's dangerous for another reason. If you get hit with this attack, then one of the following 3 things happens. 1. You die. You're dead. 2. You get hit straight upwards above Pikachu. DO NOT buffer an aerial or an air dodge after getting hit with upsmash! Wait for Pikachu to yell "PIKAA!" and THEN spotdodge. This is probably one of the most important things to remember and train yourself not to do in this matchup. 3. You get hit upwards at an angle. If this happens make sure you watch Pikachu. It is very possible for Pika to QAC under you and thunder if you buffer an aerial or a spotdodge (like I told you not to). #3 This is the best case scenario though, so don't die from that.
    [*]Jab - 1 frame start up means this beats all of our attacks on the ground (speedwise) Hold back and hold shield, not that easy to punish, though.
    [*]Tilts All of Pikachus tilt's are extremely similar to Kirbys. In general, our tilts are faster, so if your not at kill % this is what you'll want to utilize on the ground. For the most part Pika's tilts are nearly equal to ours. It's worth mentioning that ftilt can KO at around 130-140% (?) and at low %s uptilt can combo into footstool, which can set up for an extremely hard to pull off infinite. Read here. Note, if your opponent can some how pull of this infinite, the matchup becomes about 90/10. (Did I mention how hard it is to pull this off?)
In summary both characters are very similar on the ground, great grab game, useful tilts. Be very wary at kill percents because Pika has way more ground kill options than Kirby does.

In the Air
Pika's air game rivals ours for sure, hell I'd even say it's better due to the fact that Pika has some true combos in the air. Let me mention though that if Pika lands on the ground with either dair, nair or bair he will have tons of landing lag. Punish accordingly.

• [*]Fair - This attack eats shields for breakfast. Make sure you tilt your shield in the direction Pika's coming from as not to get poked. If you fail to shield this attack on the ground immediately start holding upwards because this attack (after 2-3 hits I believe) combos directly into uptilt or dsmash (which in turn can combo into thunder if you buffer air dodge/aerial = death) In the air your bair is faster but will trade hits/lose to fair. Not as much landing lag as the other aerials.
  • Upair - This is a stupid fast aerial (2 frame startup) with reasonable range. It has low knock back and low damage, but due to that this attack gives Pikachu true combos in the air. Even with DI upair can combo into itself, or into Nair (read below) which can kill. Be careful if you're directly close above Pikachu because this is faster than all of our aerial attacks. (Including bair)
  • Nair - This move also has 2 frame startup time (wtf Pikachu?) and the initial hit can and will kill you at ~110-120%... if you're near the edge of the stage. This move is also used for edge guarding, along with thunder and upair. (But more about that below)
  • Bair - Seldom used but still has uses. Not much to say about this, I'm not sure if you can DI out of it because I never see it used, but it last hit has decent knockback. Massive landing lag.
  • Dair - Similar to our dair in that there is one last hitbox when Pika hits the ground with it. It's pretty large but make sure to shield this final hit. 40 frames of cooldown lag if Pika hits the ground with it. It doesn't have much priority so if Pika is about to whiff this attack and land on the ground, feel free to fsmash.

Hm, looking back this is getting a bit long so let me quickly summarize some more things...
Edgeguarding Pikachu is a joke. I wouldn't recommend following Pikachu off the stage because QA is nearly unpredictable. You can bair him (strong hit) out of it but good luck. You can try to dair him but he can easily QA to the edge long before you can grab it, and now you are the one attempting to recover. Speaking of recovery, Pika can edgeguard you pretty well for someone with 2 jumps. He can force you to waste more jumps by blocking the edge with thunder, and can also eat your jumps with jab on the edge of the stage.

Shorthop inhale does not work very well in this matchup in my experience. You usually end up eating a tjolt but if your opponent likes to shield(grab) feel free to use it.

Speakin of inhale, a lot of people like to say that taking Pika's power shifts the matchup completely in our favor but I beg to differ. Pika's power is great, giving Kirby a projectile and the inability to get camped, but I'd hardly say it gives us the matchup. Our jump isn't as high as Pika's so we can't shorthop tjolt without hitting the ground, we have to waste 2 jumps in order to sh tjolt correctly, and then another jump for every subsequent tjolt. All this while super speedy Pikachu closes in on us? Now we're in the air with less than 4 jumps against a character who is arguably better (but undeniably faster) than us in the air.... not good. Tjolt is a great power but don't think that you've won the match just because you have it. Work it into your game but don't rely on it, especially since a lot of Pika's attacks are multi-hit (aka more chances to lose said power)

I'm sure there's more I wanted to write... if I remember anything I'll be sure to edit this post. All in all, Kirby and Pikachu at first glance seem to be dead even. But I think with...
  • Pikachu's near-inability to be edgeguarded like some other characters (gimping being one of Kirby's great assets)
  • Pikachu's reasonable weight for a small and speedy character (why can't Kirby have this?)
  • Near equal ground game and grab game, and faster aerial game
  • true combos... ugh
  • Pika's ability to camp us

This matchup slightly shifts into Pikachu's favor making it 55/45 Pika.

Random facts and stuff to remember
- Don't buffer a **** air dodge or aerial after dsmash, upsmash, uptilt or (less likely) upthrow. Watch Pikachu under you and wait for the thunder. ALSO you must move while you airdodge, because correctly timed thunder lasts longer than our airdodge.
- DON'T MISS A TECH. Aka don't land on the ground on your back or stomach, you will get QA locked.
- Regular shielding Pikachu's dair on the ground = enough time to dsmash. Powershield = enough time to fsmash.
- Don't try to Kirbycide. Just don't.
(Some more stuff to remember to be added later)

*waits for someone to call me out on some miniscule detail I got wrong*

God dammit ESAM

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I don't know much about ESAM, but I have to Brawl Anther again to know this match up really. I haven't Brawled him for a while so I never knew this match up when playing Kirby, but I do know the match up with Ness vs Pikachu.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I agree on 55:45 Pika's, but you're talking as if Kirby doesn't have true combos where even if DI'd he can't follow up. Kirby has ways of comboing much like Pika's moves: when his opponent gets to a specific % or higher, combos are much harder to do... I've actually done dair > grab at people over 100%, and they can do NOTHING about it due to their hitstun (which I then follow up with pummels then dthrow/uthrow and juggle/chase accordingly).

Kirby can also gimp Pika easier than it looks. If they're recovering low, doesn't take a genius to grab the ledge, force the pika to land on the stage, then ledgehop airhammer/fair>grab to punish the small landing lag.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wow that was fast. I guess everyone agrees it's 45/55 Pikachu, and 50/50 at best right?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*Agrees with everything DC said*

55/45 definitely. Getting Pikachu's power helps, but it doesn't totally shift the game. With pikachu's speed, you can easily get passed the camping from that end, and you still can't really do it the other way. Also, GL on getting Pikachu's power, its gonna be really difficult. Out of 10 matches, lets say, DC got it like once or twice. 30 stocks, 1-2 inhales...not a good %.

I (basically) wrote a guide from pikachu's standpoint a WHILE ago. Here you go:

ESAM said:
Ahh kirby, the pink fluffball of doom.

THe main thing Kirby players will do at low %s is try to grab combo you. THis combo is F-throw, uair, reverse U-tilt...and idk what passed that. However, because of Pikachu's light-weight nature, it is possible to get out after the uair. If you DI with both sticks up right when they hit you (SDI), you can jump out of it. This will help TREMENDOUSLY seeing as comboing is one of the things that kirby players use to destroy other characters. FOr pikachu, you can still do basic FF Fair u-tilt to uair to whatever. So, while pikachu can get out of kirby's main comboes (Remember, you will still get hit by D-throw to utilt, and F-throw to uair, but that is it) pikachu can still combo decently well.

In this matchup, you should stay away as long as possible. Kirby has no projectile at the start of a match, and you have longer range attacks. Keep kirby at bay with your F-tilt, D-tilt, and T-jolts. The minute he gets into you, the match completely changes. Hell, if kirby gets close, try to QAC away and keep spamming. Just watch out kirby doesn't get your power, because Kirby T-jolts are more effective than pikachu's. With kirby's multiple jumps, it can be VERY irritating to get near him, and even then it is a hard fight. However, it is still much easier for pikachu to get into to kirby's spamming than it is the other way around

Once the fight is in close quarters, your best options are to SHFF fairs to u-tilts and combo him. Do not do many laggy attacks against kirby because he will definitely punish you with his plethora of strong attacks, or get you off the cliff (will elaborate on this a little later) Kirby's like using D-tilt to trip you (It's pretty fast so be watchful of it) and then they can grab you and harass you.

In the air, this matchup all depends on positioning. If you are behind kirby, you will lose, becasue kirby's bair outprioritizes nearly everything you have! If you are in front of kirby, you will most likely win since Pikachu's fair > Kirby's fair, and pikachu's Uair > Kirby's fair. If you are below kirby, be watchful of his Dair. It is a multihit attack and keeps you in stun-time for quite a while, and i don't remember whether or not the kirby can F-smash you afterwards. Kirby's will almost never use their nair, it is pretty bad (Horrible). It had decent range, but ****ty knockback, and they have much better aerials at their disposal. Also, if you are below kirby, always be watchful of his Down-B, the rock attack. It packs a punch and will kill you at around 100-110%.

Off the level, kirby and pikachu both have their fair share of tricks. He can keep you off the level with his Bair, and it can be really troublesome to get around it. Also, if he sees that you are below him, he can FF a dair to footstool, getting him a near guaranteed kill at any %s, so be afraid, be VERY afraid. Remember to not get into a pattern of your QA, or else. Thunder guarding works pretty well against Kirby, so use it when they are off the level, but don't get too predictable with it or they can just wait it out with his multiple jumps. Don't try to hit him out of his up-b, for it has lots of priority and it is extremely hard to do so. Hopefully you will get lucky and hit him with the blue part of thunder when they are off the level, killing them at 60%, but don't get used to killing them like that, its very rare.

In killing, Kirby clearly has the advantage in actual power, but pikachu in practicality. Although both are lightweight, Kirby's feet stole ganondorfs power, and make it insanely strong. F-smash will kill you at 105% or less, D-smash at about 120%, and U-smash at about 120%. Kirby also has his hammer, which when used in the air, swings twice with devastating results. Be very careful when you are at high %s pikachu's, you will need to get all the damage you can get on them. Also, bair will kill you off the level at about 100% fresh, and rock will kill you at no more than 105%. The most reliable way to get a kill on Kirby is FF fair U-tilt thunder, which will kill him at about 80% from the beginning of that little string. F-smash is very hard to hit kirby with, but since kirby has a pretty ****ty spacing game, is still pretty possible to pull of with D-tilt slides and just simple mindgames (Approaching SH Dair autocancel pull back after hitbox comes out F-smash, works alot against DC, a kirby I play against) if it does, it will kill at about the same time kirby's will (if it's sweetspotted). Nair will kill off the level at about 110%, and blue part of thunder will kill at 70%. However, Kirby's killing moves are still consistently stronger, so killing is pretty interesting.

I say this matchup is dead even or 55-45 in pikachu's favor, only because he can camp. Kirby has his advantages, and pikachu has his, and it makes for a very interesting in every aspect.

Keep in mind i wrote this a long ****ing time ago, so if anything is out-dated/wrong, sorry...

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Kirby cide seems to be effective against everyone, the way I mind game with it. Inhale, jump off stage, inhale release, footstool opponent. KO! And Kirby still survives. If you Kirby cide and release with star shot, then yeah it's useless cause Pikachu's recovery is too good.

You get most Kirby cides when you KO your opponent, they get mad, and rush after you while they are in their invincibility, just linger by the edge, and try your best to mind game an inhale off stage. It's a major profit.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Kirby cide seems to be effective against everyone, the way I mind game with it. Inhale, jump off stage, inhale release, footstool opponent. KO! And Kirby still survives. If you Kirby cide and release with star shot, then yeah it's useless cause Pikachu's recovery is too good.

You get most Kirby cides when you KO your opponent, they get mad, and rush after you while they are in their invincibility, just linger by the edge, and try your best to mind game an inhale off stage. It's a major profit.

Is the inhale break -> footstool guaranteed on Pika? I know that in some cases the opponent gets a free footstool depending on character rather than Kirby getting one. Also, as long as Pika has his second jump left, he is getting back from just about ANYWHERE if the player knows what they are doing. QA alone can make it from the bottom blast zone of FD without trouble...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't remember if kirbycide>footstool is guaranteed on Pika... It's been a while since I last played Brawl (excluding randomly playing 3 matches in a day, which was a week ago) due to classes starting for me... I think it worked though. But if the opponent knows how to mash buttons, good luck getting a kill! Might as well try the kirbycide>footstool>dair>footstool... Harder to pull off, but much more effective.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
*Agrees with everything DC said*

55/45 definitely. Getting Pikachu's power helps, but it doesn't totally shift the game. With pikachu's speed, you can easily get passed the camping from that end, and you still can't really do it the other way. Also, GL on getting Pikachu's power, its gonna be really difficult. Out of 10 matches, lets say, DC got it like once or twice. 30 stocks, 1-2 inhales...not a good %.

I (basically) wrote a guide from pikachu's standpoint a WHILE ago. Here you go:

Keep in mind i wrote this a long ****ing time ago, so if anything is out-dated/wrong, sorry...
I agree with the summary except about Kirby having a ****ty spacing game. U may have possibly gotten this from his slow horizontal aerial movement, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's bad at spacing. Kirby's bair is one of the best poke in the game and in a pinch or in a match that u have no clue on how to play, u can put bair pressure on all day without little fear of reprecussion (from most characters anyway). OoS pika has nair or fair but that can be combatted with an utilt from Kirby. I still think that the match is slightly in pika's favor simply because of kill moves. As you stated Pika has the more practical selection. i do however find myself killing with usmash a lot more than fsmash against pika.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Kill options eh. Let's see, Pikachu's best kill options to fear would be F-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, and Down-B. Kirby's would be F-Smash, U-Smash, B-Air, Side-B, Down-B, and Kirbycide. =P

Yea, I don't think kill options is the reason to say it's Pikachu's advantage, it must be something else, I guess it's because Pikachu can camp.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Kill options eh. Let's see, Pikachu's best kill options to fear would be F-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, and Down-B. Kirby's would be F-Smash, U-Smash, B-Air, Side-B, Down-B, and Kirbycide. =P

Yea, I don't think kill options is the reason to say it's Pikachu's advantage, it must be something else, I guess it's because Pikachu can camp.
Dsmash isn't much of an option since its so easy to DI out of, usmash is much more dangerous. Moreso saying ours are more difficult to connect with. Side B is actually incredibly hard to connect with, as is down b. Bair needs to be fresh to kill, but is still a great revenge killer. Basically our smashes are our main weapons for killing. Fsmash and usmash mostly since they trade hits with pika's approaches. Camping isn't that much of an issue, l2holdA.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I see what your saying, our moves need to connect and/or trade in blows for it to connect to kill. Strange though, I never found U-Smash to be a dangerous move, I can only say I died once around 160% + or so, what percent does it normally kill? Sorry for not knowing, there's not a lot of Pikachu mains in MI except maybe two that I know.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I see what your saying, our moves need to connect and/or trade in blows for it to connect to kill. Strange though, I never found U-Smash to be a dangerous move, I can only say I died once around 160% + or so, what percent does it normally kill? Sorry for not knowing, there's not a lot of Pikachu mains in MI except maybe two that I know.
usmash kills ~100% but is more difficult to land than fsmash. Pika has a decent hyphen smash distance so its moreso used if we use a laggy move such a dsmash, and can even capitilize on a whiffed ftilt as well.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Pika has the advantage, cause it's alot faster than Kirby is, and it's much harder to land a hit on Pikachu cause Kirby can't keep up with the rat in the air or on ground. So a defensive Pikachu player would always have the advantage.

ThrillaGorilla: The inhale break + footstool combo does work on all characters. You have to be mashing the jump button rapidly though even before the inhale break happens. And stages like Yoshi Island brawl, there is no way for them to DI the footstool if they inhale break right along the wall, the wall prevents them from DIing in that direction. It's the best trump card Kirby has. Learn to mind game with it to catch good players off guard.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I said killing is in pikachu's advantage because everybody knows when a kirby is gonna go for a kill move. Pikachu has things to help land kill moves, mostly T-jolt, which can set up for a u-smash thunder which will kill around 80 before hit...

Also, speed is a big factor, and pikachu never has to approach so spacing bairs isn't all too great.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Pika has the advantage, cause it's alot faster than Kirby is, and it's much harder to land a hit on Pikachu cause Kirby can't keep up with the rat in the air or on ground. So a defensive Pikachu player would always have the advantage.

ThrillaGorilla: The inhale break + footstool combo does work on all characters. You have to be mashing the jump button rapidly though even before the inhale break happens. And stages like Yoshi Island brawl, there is no way for them to DI the footstool if they inhale break right along the wall, the wall prevents them from DIing in that direction. It's the best trump card Kirby has. Learn to mind game with it to catch good players off guard.
Try doing it to a DK that knows to mash jump. You will die, because DK has a guaranteed footstool out of inhale break. Check Fromundaman's thread, he checked most characters. The only reason I asked is because I didn't want to bother to look for it.

Edit: And Pika is not one of them. Actually, Pika is one of the ones that can't get away if you follow the DI. Go Kirby. :)

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Still though, unless the footstool outright kills pikachu, he will recover from it. The only place on FD that pika CAN'T recover from is the bottom corners of the blastzone...

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I said killing is in pikachu's advantage because everybody knows when a kirby is gonna go for a kill move. Pikachu has things to help land kill moves, mostly T-jolt, which can set up for a u-smash thunder which will kill around 80 before hit...

Also, speed is a big factor, and pikachu never has to approach so spacing bairs isn't all too great.
This isn't entirely true. Basically if pika wants to tjolt camp, our jab cancels it out and pika is always at risk of trading blows when he approaches. IDK, this is a pretty even match but I still think its 55-45 Pika. The whole killing thing tips it in his favor.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Try doing it to a DK that knows to mash jump. You will die, because DK has a guaranteed footstool out of inhale break. Check Fromundaman's thread, he checked most characters. The only reason I asked is because I didn't want to bother to look for it.

Edit: And Pika is not one of them. Actually, Pika is one of the ones that can't get away if you follow the DI. Go Kirby. :)
If you learn how to DI and fall correctly, and if you get the timing right for an inhale break, which isn't hard, you can inhale break + footstool every character in the game. As Kirby, you would want to DI away from your opponent while the inhale break happens, and mash on the jump button, then DI back to your opponent, and you'll get an easy footstool.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Still though, unless the footstool outright kills pikachu, he will recover from it. The only place on FD that pika CAN'T recover from is the bottom corners of the blastzone...
Pikachu can't recover from an inhale > footstool > dair > footstool. Sometimes Kirby doesn't even get the 2nd footstool since they both die before the dair is done, if it's fastfalled accidentally, so in no way at all can Pika save himself if he falls for the appropriate method.

If you learn how to DI and fall correctly, and if you get the timing right for an inhale break, which isn't hard, you can inhale break + footstool every character in the game. As Kirby, you would want to DI away from your opponent while the inhale break happens, and mash on the jump button, then DI back to your opponent, and you'll get an easy footstool.
Actually, Calibur, Thrilla's right... There are some characters that footstool Kirby, instead of the other way around. If you DI away from them then back onto them, they have the chance of starting their upB recoveries which will cancel any foorstools (like Lucario and DK, which I have tried against my competent friends)... And if you don't DI away, they footstool you. If it's a fast character like MK, he doesn't even have to fear the footstool, since all he has to do is uair and he's safe from anything Kirby can do after the inhale break.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
**** internet failure ****ed up my summary.

tl:dr version: This match is very even, sometimes it'll might feel like you're playing a mirror match. Grab smart and take Pikachu's power.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm guessing it's time for another match up huh? I would say Lucario, but let's talk about him later, let's talk Sheik, there's been a few Kirby mains that don't know what to do when they fight her. Some say the match up is more like 55/45 Kirby than 60/40 Kirby. Since I have a great amount of Sheik experience this would be a plus for me.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I'm guessing it's time for another match up huh? I would say Lucario, but let's talk about him later, let's talk Sheik, there's been a few Kirby mains that don't know what to do when they fight her. Some say the match up is more like 55/45 Kirby than 60/40 Kirby. Since I have a great amount of Sheik experience this would be a plus for me.
Agreed, *johns about being in transit since sunday morning*. 55-45 Pika sound good? Lucario it is.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I wanted to talk about Sheik though.... oh well, we see more Lucario's than Sheik's in tourney's anyways. I still believe the match up's the same, some people say it's worst than fighting Ice Climbers, some people say it's easier than fighting Meta Knight, I wouldn't know, I didn't fight any good Lucario's lately so I'll say my part later.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
This is not like Marth, Snake, or Ice Climbers, this is easier for you Kirbies.

I'd rate it as hard as MK, (55:45,60:40 which ever you believe it to be)

I'll post more tonight.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
This is not like Marth, Snake, or Ice Climbers, this is easier for you Kirbies.

I'd rate it as hard as MK, (55:45,60:40 which ever you believe it to be)

I'll post more tonight.
Well there're 2 lucario mains in my area and one happens to be lee martin. Besides being ***** by lee, the other player who happens to be of a more even skill level, seems to go back and forth. Really we have to be VERY PATIENT in this match up. The worst thing u wanna do is be overly aggressive. The best strat I've found is to tack on damage (not that hard despite his aura we trade a lot of hits and bair is very solid) and wait for an opening to launch a f/usmash. I like to CP a lvl with a high platform (read: battlefield) in case i rack him up a lot i can actually manage to kill with an uthrow since grabs are gonna be easier to get in this match than other kill moves. Overall just remember YOU CANNOT PUNISH FSMASH. End of story, its range is too long and we're too slow to do anything about it but pressure. A lot of time I see the classic fsmash -> roll to cover up. I like to press that to the edge and counter his incoming roll/approach. Fsmash is best for the roll and usmash is best with the approach as it trades with fair and nair. Dair will still **** anything except a spaced bair.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Just space properly, look out for an Aurasphere, try not to get under him, Kill him quickly (GIMP HIM) and you should do fine.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I played 2 lucario mains on saturday in a tounrey (i won =D ) so ill write up something tomoz night when i get a chance.

imo, its even, if not in kirbys favour. aura sphere is nothing, kirby can avoid it too well, gimping is easy, and as long as you space right, it doesnt matter how much damage he gets, cos he wont be able to hit you. note to self: cannot spot dodge fsmash lollll

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
note to self: cannot spot dodge fsmash lollll
Lucario's usmash has an even crazier hitbox. I CANNOT believe how long that ****ing thing lasts. Even when it's disappeared completely, the hitbox is still active!

Kirby gimps Lucario too well... Lucario has a harder time killing Kirby than viceversa. And if Lucario's recovering from low or from the stage's height, then it shouldn't be hard telegraphing his upB recovery and landing a dair (if he survives, jump after the dair and fastfall another dair, that should do it for him).

Meh, Lucario's aurasphere has never been a problem for me. It's too slow to actually be anything dangerous, especially with Kirby's ability to jump over the attack thanks to his multiple jumps...

Lucario's fsmash is the only dangerous thing (and his usmash, but only if you're over him), but we can counter it by landing a falling bair during the time he finishes, or shielding it AND NOT SPOTDIDGING (it's like Ness's dair... If you spotdodge it hits, if you retaliate it doesn't)... Or an ftilt, it's fast enough to hit Lucario before he finishes his fsmash.

And we can't inhale>footstool him, he footstools us.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Lucario's usmash has an even crazier hitbox. I CANNOT believe how long that ****ing thing lasts. Even when it's disappeared completely, the hitbox is still active!

Kirby gimps Lucario too well... Lucario has a harder time killing Kirby than viceversa. And if Lucario's recovering from low or from the stage's height, then it shouldn't be hard telegraphing his upB recovery and landing a dair (if he survives, jump after the dair and fastfall another dair, that should do it for him).

Meh, Lucario's aurasphere has never been a problem for me. It's too slow to actually be anything dangerous, especially with Kirby's ability to jump over the attack thanks to his multiple jumps...

Lucario's fsmash is the only dangerous thing (and his usmash, but only if you're over him), but we can counter it by landing a falling bair during the time he finishes, or shielding it AND NOT SPOTDIDGING (it's like Ness's dair... If you spotdodge it hits, if you retaliate it doesn't)... Or an ftilt, it's fast enough to hit Lucario before he finishes his fsmash.

Usmash is meh IMO, once you learn the timing you can always punish it. Not sure if hammer goes through or not. And you have to be pretty close to to shield and counter fsmash. Lucario's stutter step forces him back a lil bit which means you have be right in his face to actually do it. The falling bair does work pretty well however. And when you gimp with Kirby you should be in the habit of doing a footstool after the dair. If they're low enough they will die guaranteed but if not only MK, Kirby, and ROB can recover IIRC.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><

Speaking of this, don't try to linger high in the air without jumps, Kirbs doesn't have the best air movement [horizontal] and I've caught many non-observant kirbies with Usmash. Not something a really good kirby should fall for, but should be noted.

I swear this comes up every match-up discussion. .-. I'll agree with the part that lucario is in a very bad position when below the stage, but it is very rare that you'll see a good lucario in that position. Lucario is floaty, has a stalling move (dair), and a good double jump. He really shouldn't be forced to use UpB.

Its hard tagging people with multijumps with aurasphere, just don't do anything stupid like airdodging into the ground right in front of us and it'll be really difficult to hit you with it.

Honestly if your in the right space to falling bair in response to my fsmash I would rather Uptilt .-. I'm pretty sure if it connects with your shield the pushback would make ftilt impossible, at least at higher %s

This is true.
Responses in bold.

I'll put more later as I use both characters proficiently.

My Lucario side says its slightly in our favor but my kirby side says its even :dizzy:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Utilt is going to be more ickier than usmash if you're against a lucario. Usmash only works if they've commited to a move (so possibly dair?) and are being dumb or if they've never fought a lucario lol. /usmash
ftilt, jab, utilt, and fsmash do some wonders for lucario's anti-air game, along with fair, nair and dair.
If a lucario knows how to DI and use his recovery options you're going to be hard pressed to find an opportunity to see his upB actually need to be used, which by then he should be dead anyways.
45:55 lucario's favor imo. Very even match, kirby good tilts and bair but will be hard pressed for landing a kill, which will mean if lucario isn't gimped zealously in the small window you have, lucario is going to nearly dominate when he gets a foothold in the match again.
AS should not be used when trying to control Kirby when he's going for multijump options, it will only find use in anti-landing "frame traps" and SH stuff. It isn't a falco laser lol.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
Jiovanni's right, Lucario's Fsmash is his safest smash. If we don't powershield it we'll be pushed at a distance that grabs, jabs, ftilt, etc can't hit. Save your regular kill moves till the end, if it's stale it's a **** hard time getting the kill because of his overrated ability to get stronger if he's at a disadvantage on damage or stock. A Fsmash from a aura buffed Lucario hurts so much and can kill you earlier than a fresh Falcon Punch. Lucario has many safe and spammable attacks like his aerials and his again his Fsmash. Lucario's AS is slow and predictable. I'm pretty sure most of Kirby's ground and air based attacks stops it. Since Lucario's UpB doesn't have any attack frames it's relativity easy to gimp him, go for offstage WoP Bairs. Lucario has a great aerial game but so do we, Bairs are your best option but don't get predictable with it otherwise you'll get combo'd by crazy chains.

Smashville is okay as a stage CP. You'll be able to space easier like Final Destination and Lucario cannot wall-cling here, that way it'll be easy to gimp Lucario.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, I love the IASA on fsmash... and good lucarios are going to space this move with struttersteps or "salmon smashes" (this actually affects it more than people give it credit for) and do some slightly charged ones to throw off PSing.
I think the "ninja spike" that kirby has, though very situational, is priceless. It's really weird :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom