• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Kirby Matchup Thread, now discussing: LUCAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
Smashville is okay as a stage CP. You'll be able to space easier like Final Destination and Lucario cannot wall-cling here, that way it'll be easy to gimp Lucario.
learn to grammar.

I suspect you meant to say that it's easier to space on Smashv, than on FD and that lucario cannot wall cling on Smashv

Kirby gimps Lucario too well... Lucario has a harder time killing Kirby than viceversa. And if Lucario's recovering from low or from the stage's height, then it shouldn't be hard telegraphing his upB recovery and landing a dair (if he survives, jump after the dair and fastfall another dair, that should do it for him).
lol, it's not like Lucario is Link. I find it highly unlikely you'll gimp a lucario more than twice in a set. I doubt you'd get more than 1 gimp if the lucario already knows the matchup very well.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Kirby's strategy against Lucario:

Air camp over Lucario and space B-air's carefully, or wall of pain with F-air. Also when Lucario is off stage, he'll usually toss a AS at you while you approach to edge guard, you can use side b hammer off stage for an early KO. Watch how Lucario rolls, see if you can predict where he will roll next, and prepare to f-smash or use aerial hammer. Taking Lucario's power is useful, especially since AS isn't that hard to connect land a hit with. Usually if you have a hard time landing a KO move on a defensive Lucario, using AS on Lucario is easier to hit with. You especially want to use it when Lucario is already at KO %. A fully charged AS should KO Lucario at 125% at most stages. Try forcing Lucario off the stage. D-air is a great gimping tool, since it stays out for so long and has multiple hits. Try counterpicking Pokemon Stadium 1 or 2, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Distant Planet, or Rainbow Cruise.

Lucario's strategy vs Kirby: Make sure to recover high otherwise the Kirby will just D-air you. D-air beats Kirby's spammable up-tilt and up-air. Watch out for Stone as you try to juggle Kirby up in the air. B-air helps alot in this match since it beats most of Kirby's aerial attacks. Be careful that your not too predictable with AS, Kirby can actually air camp over your AS. F-air to D-air works great! Be careful with how you position yourself with F-air as it easily puts you in range for Kirby's aerial hammer. It's best to do retreating F-air because of that reason. When Kirby steals your power use D-air immediately to hit Kirby. If you have to go against Kirby's D-air while getting edge guarded, its best to use Lucario's Rising Up-air, it will beat it in range. Try counterpicking Luigi Mansion, Final Destination, Norfair or Frigate Orpheon.

I used to think it was 60:40 in Lucario's favor, but now I think it's 55:45 in Lucario's favor, mostly because Kirby has alot of gimping tools. But a smart Lucario player would play campy and would be great at spacing.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Pointing out ppls grammar isn't cool bro.

As said previously, a good cario won't have to be using his Extreme Speed. However, good lucarios are hard to find, and most looming around are decent, but easily killable, thus making the Crap Recovery Insta Gimp Cario everyone knows and loves to kill.

Oh and this was proved by Lee. Lucario can "scale" the bottom of SV with Fair's and then a Up-B. But, your average lucario won't be doing this/know about it. (Until now)

Touching up on Up-tilt.
As a kirby player, you shouldn't worry too much about Up-smash, and more so Up-tilt. Up-tilt covers more area then upsmash (figures unknown due to upsmashes hitboxes unknown) and comes out much sooner.
And it juggles. And juggles.

And im not sure on numbers... But maybe lucario's f-smash comes out sooner then kirbs f-smash?

Aura doesn't clank (minus a said few moves, like aura sphere). So a hand on hand battle is won quickly by aura.

What helps kirby the most in this fight is Bair and Dair. I am personally a huge Kirby dair lover (back in the day when I used kirby to win money) and when arc'd right, can wreck lucario.

Do note though, trying it early game might not work. As soon as the frames stop, lucario can ES and possibly make it back to the stage after a spike. I've seen it done, and done it.
-t2

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I learned about that and posted it on the Brainstorm thread.
I now likey SV a little more :D
Apparently, someone said you could go from one side to the other on FD, but it's supposed to be like, waaaay harder.
BF also can be trans versed from underneath.
Oh yeah, and Lylat as well, but you have to do it while it's sloping down towards the ending side and it's ridiculously hard.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
As said previously, a good cario won't have to be using his Extreme Speed. However, good lucarios are hard to find, and most looming around are decent, but easily killable, thus making the Crap Recovery Insta Gimp Cario everyone knows and loves to kill.
As sad as it may sound... Still, high level Lucs will also be forced to use it if they're in bad positions offstage.

Touching up on Up-tilt.
As a kirby player, you shouldn't worry too much about Up-smash, and more so Up-tilt. Up-tilt covers more area then upsmash (figures unknown due to upsmashes hitboxes unknown) and comes out much sooner.
And it juggles. And juggles.
Meh, I find his utilt easier to evade than his usmash. I don't get near Lucario from above when I see him starting one, but when he's using utilt, the hitbox isn't active for as long as usmash, so I can fall with a well-timed dair > ftilt and send you away from me, leaving me to land in peace... Or I just land somewhere else, preferably a ledge for a good ledgehop fair (> grab depending on your %).

And im not sure on numbers... But maybe lucario's f-smash comes out sooner then kirbs f-smash?
Nah, Lucario's fsmash comes out after Kirby's fsmash... But it ends faster and is less punishable, I assure you.

Aura doesn't clank (minus a said few moves, like aura sphere). So a hand on hand battle is won quickly by aura.
Yep. Kirby's best hand-on-hand tactics are grab tactics, INCLUDING dthrow (the one option average kirbies avoid since Lucario dairs avter a dthrow)... Just make sure you're shielding in case he dairs, and if he does, regrab and dthrow again... Kirby's ftilt has more range than Luc's jab, and starts out faster than any other hand-to-hand moves Lucario has, making it a safe choice for spacing while Kirby is grounded, ESPECIALLY cancelling an fsmash that you're going to eat but are still deciding whether you should shield or not.

What helps kirby the most in this fight is Bair and Dair. I am personally a huge Kirby dair lover (back in the day when I used kirby to win money) and when arc'd right, can wreck lucario.
Hmm... Yep, just like every other matchup. ;)

Do note though, trying it early game might not work. As soon as the frames stop, lucario can ES and possibly make it back to the stage after a spike. I've seen it done, and done it.
Not if Kirby dairs, then jumps and dairs again where Lucario's going to ES through. Lucario ends up lower than before, and Kirby still has his other jumps, which he will be counting for when you're low enough to die from an edgehog if you fall into that position.

lol, it's not like Lucario is Link. I find it highly unlikely you'll gimp a lucario more than twice in a set. I doubt you'd get more than 1 gimp if the lucario already knows the matchup very well.
Vertical recovery is handled the same way: dair on top of him and he'll be sent lower each time, then edgehog. And yeah, footstools obviously after the dairs, but most of the time Lucario will be mashing upB after each of our dairs, so footstools won't be effective... Stick to dair > dair then edgehogs as kirby... And gimping Lucario twice in a set? Sadly, unless Lucario is recovering from high, our bair assures us that you don't reach the stage unless you use upB. We'll obviously be careful of your fair: you normally don't do two fairs in a single jump offstage when near to the stage's height level, so we watch for 1 fair then jump in... Otherwise the 2nd fair will put you in an uncomfortable position where Kirby can dair you easily thanks to your upB's startup and telegraphed recovery direction (ledge).

Oh, and to whoever are saying aerial hammer (sideB) is a pretty good option for Kirby... Try not to rely much on it, Lucario can fair you before you hit him, just like in the Ness MU.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
We're like falco, if we're below the stage without a jump, we're going to get yiffed.

Too bad the chances of that are pretty low at %s that would be considered a "gimp".

The only times I find myself in the positions are around the times I should be dying anyway.

Oh yeah and an obvious tip:

Please do not use your UpB to recover, thats like.... giving us a free AuraSphere.

For the love of god, try to kill us early, having Lucario at 180 and dying from Fsmash at 80% as kirby is NOT cool.

And some not so obvious:

from my kirby POV Fthrow-> UpAir -> Angled Ftilt seems to be the optimum low % chain. Never once had a DI out of it.

SH Autocanceled Fairs jump right over BAS [uncharged Aurasphere].

Browny

Smash Hater
From a Lucario point of view...

Lucario can camp majorly hard in this matchup... when kirby is forced to approach Lucario at any decent %, its gonna be trouble. Focus 100% on not getting hit by Kirby's fsmash, which is not that hard with Lucario and dair stalling etc, and kirby's KO options take a hit. If you are ever on the ground near him, just GTFO of there. you cant outspeed his fsmash with anything or outprioritise it reliably. roll dodge backwards. if you shield camp against the fsmash you get grabbed... no big deal, kirbys throws dont exactly put lucario is very comprimising positions or KO until very high %. btw after a dthrow DONT DAIR immediately, it makes you fast fall, which will get re-grabbed. wait until hitstun goes or just jump away...

I literally run away the entire match. every second not spent charging an aura sphere is better spent charging an aura sphere... make kirby take a large risk every time he tries to approach.

moral of the story, DONT GET FSMASHED and you live to 130%+ regularly.

Im not going to go into what Kirby can do, you guys know that lol. IMO ranges between 52.5:47.5 Lucario to 57.5:42.5 :)

uhhh lol flamey interesting choice of terminology for lucario getting gimped :p

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Also watch out for BAS offstage, it works if the lucario knows which plane of recovery he's going for, and also watch out for the occasional BAS turnabout -> bair (made famous by Lee Martin). Not a very consistant option, but good to watch for.
Honestly if the lucario knows how to DI the only time I see a probable and good chance of gimping is if you do kirby up-angled fsmash which sends on that low trajectory. Then he's much more susceptible to easier edgeguarding. Otherwise, ES will hardly be needed until late percents. It's that simple.
Edit: and I guess the aerial second swing of the hammer sends on a very nasty angle as well, although like people have been saying, fair helps stop hammer stuff.
If he's never connecting with utilt, he's doin' it wrong. Utilt is our fastest ground move (frame 5) overall and is one of lucario's only decent ooS moves besides grab stuff and SH aerials. It's also a good move after fsmash's IASA frames if he's expecting a retaliation from the air.
Kirby grabs and smart use of tilts and bairs defensively are going to make this match a lot easier for Kirby.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
To those saying Aurasphere isnt a problem, It actually is if your fighting a lucario who knows how to use it right. Kirby's aerials will no longer protect him from AS after lucario hits 80% and he can use it to control the aerial space, which we know is bad for Kirby. Some lucario's also use it to edgeguard, or as a powerful Guardbreak.

On the subject of Dairing him, Your gonna have to space right. Im not very sure on this, but i think Dair is the only move of kirby's that can send him downwards right? If so, don't expect him to recover from below. an offstage lucario admittedly is in a bad position, but be aware he can do stuff to hamper edgeguarding Kirby's or even stagespike them if your not careful. (especially since ALL our aerials have aura properties. ) This matchup to me is even, or close to it. You just have to be aware about your spacing, and of course to avoid Fsmash. Also feel free to absorb lucario, but ONLY if both fighters are on low damage. You WILL get dair'ed but Kirby having AS just makes him a bit more formidable imo.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
This.

IF we can get an inhale at low percentages, meaning your d-air won't kill us, we can camp back. But then again...IF
speaking of that.

If You grab our aurasphere, this match turns into a gayer version of the Lucario ditto for us.

ffffffffffffffffff

I'd say the match-up shifts like 60-40 Kirby with the Aurasphere from both having to deal with it and using it myself.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
This.

IF we can get an inhale at low percentages, meaning your d-air won't kill us, we can camp back. But then again...IF
when Lucario is at low % this is can be a viable solution. At later %, Lucario's aura modifiers make his AS eat right through Kirby's AS.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Just a quick tidbit, Kirby's lucario hat assumes the static 100% aura multiplier.
Edit: someone beat me to it. I actually would say this helps kirby, but it's a stretch to say that it becomes a "gayer" version of a luc ditto. Lucario has the right tools that go well with AS, like fair and that autocancel nair. Kirby's ftilt and maaaybe bair are probably the only thing making AS camping better than stand alone AS firing, which we all know is a pretty terrible form of camping in itself.
Edit: How about stage discussion, eh?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
To those saying Aurasphere isnt a problem, It actually is if your fighting a lucario who knows how to use it right. Kirby's aerials will no longer protect him from AS after lucario hits 80% and he can use it to control the aerial space, which we know is bad for Kirby. Some lucario's also use it to edgeguard, or as a powerful Guardbreak.
AS isn't a hard projectile to powershield against... And if you're a character with multiple jumps and light enough to not fall at a fast speed towards the stage (like DDD), we can easily hover above any and all AS attempts. And if you're waiting for us to land so you can frame trap us, we can sideB/upB/downB stall safely, or attack you with a bair while landing, which will be easy for us to do since you'll be busy shooting the AS.

Kirby stays aerial when you shoot AS's of any size, and the problem's solved... As well as powershielding, since it IS a verrrry slow projectile.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Same thing can be said about pretty much any given smash, AS/BAS isn't just fired for the sake of control if the lucario knows it isn't going to work. He'll use it to provoke a response, or to punish (since AS comes out faster than fsmash and can be used in the air, it's a good high damage punisher especially against rolls/dodges). If lucario can get you to shield his AS/BAS, due to the speed (or lack thereof) of the projectile, it allows for "cover fire" options, which means he'll be able to follow up based on what you do in reaction.
When someone says it's going to be used for something, it doesn't mean there aren't options/responses a character has to it. It just means it adds a slight depth of tactical advantage in the MU.
Most of the options you've mentioned will only work if the lucario doesn't know the mechanics of AS/BAS.
I will admit that it will be harder than normal, but it isn't out of reach, especially if Kirby attempts to launch an offense of some sort, which he'll have to do in this MU. (not to be confused with a poorly spaced "beatdown" attempt, which some people think is what people mean when one says "offensive".

P.S. I'm sure you're aware that ZSS also uses a slow projectile that I'm sure gets PS'd often, but that doesn't stop it entirely from doing what it's meant to do when you use it properly knowing full well that that could be the outcome. PSing stuff is kind of a fallible argument considering that A: That applies to practically every move in the game, and B: If the lucario is going to use it as an option, he's going to make sure it's well invested when firing an AS, and the SideB/upB/downB seem somewhat situational/not wholly safe.

Edit: Where's t1mmy? He's played CLU7CH, who's prolly better than I am lol. He should know the MU. I want to play you again t1mmy, I was close the last time and I didn't know peanuts about the MU the last time we played.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Same thing can be said about pretty much any given smash, AS/BAS isn't just fired for the sake of control if the lucario knows it isn't going to work. He'll use it to provoke a response, or to punish (since AS comes out faster than fsmash and can be used in the air, it's a good high damage punisher especially against rolls/dodges). If lucario can get you to shield his AS/BAS, due to the speed (or lack thereof) of the projectile, it allows for "cover fire" options, which means he'll be able to follow up based on what you do in reaction.
Awright... What if Kirby shields, then counters with an ftilt while Lucario is using the AS as coverfire? Ftilt has more range than any of Lucario's grabs and ends fast enough to give Kirby a chance to roll backwards/shorthop airdodge away from danger.

When someone says it's going to be used for something, it doesn't mean there aren't options/responses a character has to it. It just means it adds a slight depth of tactical advantage in the MU.
I know, dontcha worry... I was just pointing out that Kirby can get around that tool way easier than most other character, even though he would most likely also die faster than any other character.

Most of the options you've mentioned will only work if the lucario doesn't know the mechanics of AS/BAS.
Most of the options in the game won't work if the player doesn't know their mechanics... Point is, I've seen AS's used to follow opponents offstage and make their recovery harder, as well as punish airdodges and camping between many other options. Kirby has enough jumps to avoid any AS's thrown at him offtstage, onstage AND over the stage... As well as powershield, of course, which is bane for both ZSS (projectile or no) and Lucario's projectile.

P.S. I'm sure you're aware that ZSS also uses a slow projectile that I'm sure gets PS'd often, but that doesn't stop it entirely from doing what it's meant to do when you use it properly knowing full well that that could be the outcome. PSing stuff is kind of a fallible argument considering that A: That applies to practically every move in the game, and B: If the lucario is going to use it as an option, he's going to make sure it's well invested when firing an AS, and the SideB/upB/downB seem somewhat situational/not wholly safe.
PS'ing his projectile is different than PS'ing smashes. His projectile can be seen coming from a mile away, and if you use it close range, the startup time in the move is enough for the opponent to see it coming and jump+airdodge away from Lucario... To me, it's yet another move in Lucario's arsenal, nothing special at all, no different than other spacing moves to keep the opponent from taking an offensive stance (unless Kirby shields > ftilt at the right distance).

And about the sideB/upB/downB... I'm sure any Kirby would decide on doing those rather than eating an AS when they're at kill %, especially downB. Luc would either charge an fsmash/AS, where Kirby will just stay still until your hitbox comes in contact with stone, then transform back and do whatever... Or you'll grab Kirby while he's downB'd, which is WAY better than eating a fully-charged AS for us.

Edit: Where's t1mmy? He's played CLU7CH, who's prolly better than I am lol. He should know the MU. I want to play you again t1mmy, I was close the last time and I didn't know peanuts about the MU the last time we played.
Man, everyone always calls out t!mmy and other smashers when discussing MUs... I'm a good Kirby player...! :(

I wanna go to Pound4 already and beat down a couple of people so they'll call ME out in MU discussions... :(

Browny

Smash Hater
ugh you guys dont get it do you... Full charge aura sphere is not some move you can simply avoid when you want, you have to be paying a lot of attention to it at all times if you want to avoid it. Its like snakes grenades in a way. You can be thinking in your head 'ok ill run up to him and rar bair to approach' but then as soon as lucario SH's in anticipation, then what? Do you continue the approach, hoping he doesnt fire the AS which will rip right through your bair at decent %'s or simply outlast an airdodge, or cancel the approach because the risk is not worth the reward, and now Lucario can continue charging up another one.

AS is not just any old projectile you cant ever compare it to something like a turnip. it does far too much damage, outlasts airdodges and is a legitimate KO attack at reasonable %'s. you really dont want to be pushing your luck thinking you can simply PS every one he throws at you, when Lucario simply waits for you to make the move, then acts accordingly. Kirby is not exactly quick enough to cancel an approach or get out of the way every time

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
ugh you guys dont get it do you... Full charge aura sphere is not some move you can simply avoid when you want, you have to be paying a lot of attention to it at all times if you want to avoid it. Its like snakes grenades in a way. You can be thinking in your head 'ok ill run up to him and rar bair to approach' but then as soon as lucario SH's in anticipation, then what? Do you continue the approach, hoping he doesnt fire the AS which will rip right through your bair at decent %'s or simply outlast an airdodge, or cancel the approach because the risk is not worth the reward, and now Lucario can continue charging up another one.

AS is not just any old projectile you cant ever compare it to something like a turnip. it does far too much damage, outlasts airdodges and is a legitimate KO attack at reasonable %'s. you really dont want to be pushing your luck thinking you can simply PS every one he throws at you, when Lucario simply waits for you to make the move, then acts accordingly. Kirby is not exactly quick enough to cancel an approach or get out of the way every time
AS isn't to the point where we will be second guessing our approaches. I've actually said before that this is a match of patience that Kirby has to play defensively. No Kirby is gonna just try to poke Lucario when he has an AS ready. There are also ways to make Lucario prematurely ejaculate his AS anyways. Empty jump ->, bair/fair -> DJ, and even sometimes just running at him (not so much that one). Just because he has an AS doesn't mean we're automatically spaced. We can still approach safely and space away back to safety. The only char that just blatantly outspaces us with little effort is Martha, but that's a different story.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
AS isn't a hard projectile to powershield against... And if you're a character with multiple jumps and light enough to not fall at a fast speed towards the stage (like DDD), we can easily hover above any and all AS attempts. And if you're waiting for us to land so you can frame trap us, we can sideB/upB/downB stall safely, or attack you with a bair while landing, which will be easy for us to do since you'll be busy shooting the AS.

Kirby stays aerial when you shoot AS's of any size, and the problem's solved... As well as powershielding, since it IS a verrrry slow projectile.
Actually the hovering above AS with Kirby's multiple jumps can sometimes be a stupid thing to do. Sometimes, it's what he wants, Since it's uber sloow, It controls the aerial space where kirby could be attacking him. instead he's floating a useless 10 ft above him, And Lucario charges AS very fast. he can easily fire another to force Kirby back, Or go on the offensive with Kirby in a position with not many escape options. Aura has transcendant priority, and effectively goes through Kirby's aerials if spaced well. Kirby's bair also isn't a good idea to a firing lucario. 2 things will happen if you try to attack with bair, 1. You'll get hit by AS, 2. Lucario will avoid getting the bair since AS doesnt have much end lag
. All AS attempts aren't confined to the ground. And no matter how much he can fly even Kirby will drop, to the waiting lucario below.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think I get the confusion. The problem with only looking at AS is that obviously it's worth the investment in avoiding. Jumping over that fat blue ball is clearly a waste of lucario's time spent charging it, and therefore, Kirby would win in that sense.
BAS is another story. While a very crude camping tool (seriously, you can only fire like 2 BAS at most before they are on you from across the stage), it is an excellent pressure tool that luckily is a much lower commitment to lucario and makes for forcing behavior much easier, lucario wins in investing time using BAS even if they PS/jump, because he hasn't taken any risks while in the charging process. It pretty much has the same slow speed and frame trap properties that AS has, meaning it's good for following up based on reaction and it still will eat dodges/rolls decently (maybe not as well as AS, but still), but without the hassle. AS/BAS overall will be mixed in with other moves (like aerials) if the lucario intends to have any success with it.
tl;dr AS is going to be hard to nail, but for the same purposes, BAS is a good alternative for controlling/pressure, although it is a pretty crappy camp tool. AS is also not just for trying to land %. Thinking so is setting yourself up for failure, especially if you plan to play with a slow projectile.
Oh yeah, Kirby should watch out for lucario uair. Since Kirby won't be juggled easily, it'll usually be fresh in this MU and can kill really well off the top (it gets decent killability against most mid weight chars once lucario hits the ~70% mark), and it outlasts AD many times, so be wary and space appropriately and FF bair off the side to punish.
Imo, Kirby ftilt will be really, really useful in the MU, especially if you can catch them landing (kind of like Bowser ftilt) and knock them, it'll make lucario wary and all that.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I think I get the confusion. The problem with only looking at AS is that obviously it's worth the investment in avoiding. Jumping over that fat blue ball is clearly a waste of lucario's time spent charging it, and therefore, Kirby would win in that sense.
BAS is another story. While a very crude camping tool (seriously, you can only fire like 2 BAS at most before they are on you from across the stage), it is an excellent pressure tool that luckily is a much lower commitment to lucario and makes for forcing behavior much easier, lucario wins in investing time using BAS even if they PS/jump, because he hasn't taken any risks while in the charging process. It pretty much has the same slow speed and frame trap properties that AS has, meaning it's good for following up based on reaction and it still will eat dodges/rolls decently (maybe not as well as AS, but still), but without the hassle. AS/BAS overall will be mixed in with other moves (like aerials) if the lucario intends to have any success with it.
tl;dr AS is going to be hard to nail, but for the same purposes, BAS is a good alternative for controlling/pressure, although it is a pretty crappy camp tool. AS is also not just for trying to land %. Thinking so is setting yourself up for failure, especially if you plan to play with a slow projectile.
Oh yeah, Kirby should watch out for lucario uair. Since Kirby won't be juggled easily, it'll usually be fresh in this MU and can kill really well off the top (it gets decent killability against most mid weight chars once lucario hits the ~70% mark), and it outlasts AD many times, so be wary and space appropriately and FF bair off the side to punish.
Imo, Kirby ftilt will be really, really useful in the MU, especially if you can catch them landing (kind of like Bowser ftilt) and knock them, it'll make lucario wary and all that.
tl,bir

uair is pretty sexy especially when u get hit with a shff uair when u try to bair him because u thought that u were gonna trade with his fair or nair. Though Wario can get in quicker, i still think this one is more dangerous since its a bit more unexpected.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I haven't heard stage picks, but then again, Kirby will probably want to pick RC or possibly Picto if they want to do some of that dumb stuff. Lucario can easily be gayed on RC by chars like Kirby. I think Smashville and BF would be good neutrals for Kirby, allows a lot of holes that make it easier to sneak in/gain control.
I think YI, FD, and possibly Frigate will be good lucario stages, so ban/strike them, particularly YI.
I still stand by my 45:55 opinion, after having played the MU a bit.
btw, yes, wario is faster, (comes out on frame 8, as opposed to lucario's on 10). Also watch out as it's stringable after fair, although in most circumstances, uair shouldn't kill anyways (unless lucario behind in stock and is at a lower % or something like that). Watch out for uthrow, it's launch distance vertically doesn't change much despite buffs, and sets up beautifully for uair/nair to be stringed/going for the kill.
Like I said, bair, ftilt, up-angled fsmash, and throws will do good, and play smarter than lucario offstage and punish him for bad DI from being knocked offstage ALWAYS, otherwise you'll miss your chance for a gimp and he'll get all RAWWWWR! on you and on your case lol.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
This just in: our ftilt clashes with Lucario's fsmash (not the aura part, the hands)... So kirbies shouldn't be afraid of approaching an fsmash-charging Lucario from the ground.

And I still think Kirby gets around AS/BAS amazingly easy.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh no doubt, I just want to emphasize that lucario won't be using it for the sake of merely % gain, be aware that it'll be a pressure tool. I'm aware that connecting is going to be hard on a hurtbox as small and airborne as Kirby. Another thing to watch out for, some lucarios will try fair-> AS or do it after autocanceling nair, because the first reaction for most is air dodge. You'll be better off jumping.
And yes, anything can clank with paws, it's why good lucario space fsmash at the tip (plus it has tipper properties, like more damage and killing earlier) and "salmon smash" it (for those who don't know what that means, there are a few frames prior to dashing that register as "regular movement", which some characters like C. Falcon and a bunch can use to give their forward smashes a little more movement either forward or backward. It's also called "strutterstepped smashing", I think Kirby might be able to use it too).
You'll also want to watch out for lucario ftilt, it's like fsmash's younger brother with less killability but compensates with good shield pressure, speed, angling, and two lingering hitboxes. It's a good anti-air move.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Something came up in a discussion of Lucario on the DK boards that I hadn't seen discussed here. Would Wave-bounced AS cancels effect the MU at all in terms of Lucario's camp game?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Something came up in a discussion of Lucario on the DK boards that I hadn't seen discussed here. Would Wave-bounced AS cancels effect the MU at all in terms of Lucario's camp game?
What advantages does Lucario gain from wavebouncing his AS? If it's just like Snake's wavebouncing grenades, then the MU would remain pretty much the same, IMO.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I don't follow entirely. It's an option if the lucario wants to make AS much less telegraphed (it works much more than it should on paper), and to escape juggling that dair/AD can't handle, and it hasn't been tested, but it could work similarly to the new fox/zelda AT that acts as a bucket brake. I would hold off on calling it that though until we've actually tested it.
Like I said, explain what that would do besides "mindgames"? I guess it makes AS slightly more viable out of fair/bair aerial walls, but it's kinda flashy.
Edit: I can kind of see where you are going with this, but it still doesn't make his projectile camp game falco/TL tier. Lucario's don't really use it like snake where they use it to attempt to escape juggling, it's really more of an alternate movement since it's cancelable by AD and it's slightly more usable for attacking.
We already force an approach in this MU, which I think is enough for AS's purpose against someone as small and mobile as Kirby, although it will still be used now and then to control near ground level spacing/zones.

Browny

Smash Hater
This just in: our ftilt clashes with Lucario's fsmash (not the aura part, the hands)... So kirbies shouldn't be afraid of approaching an fsmash-charging Lucario from the ground.

And I still think Kirby gets around AS/BAS amazingly easy.
:urg:

What is this?

Are you basing this off any legitimate experience or is it pure theory? why on earth would anyone ever stand still charging an fsmash unless you are on the ledge and you cant exactly punish it. If thats the case, you could probably get away with spamming dash attack on the same lucario player and win, its quicker to get in the fsmash range.

same question for AS dodging. You cant evade it forever, and it will KO

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I have seen videos of you, Kewwky, and you have justification in your words: Lucario will need to be smarter than ASing as soon as the opponent is far away for it to do any good, Kirby especially.
But remember what I said, (sorry, edit) a good, high level lucario will sneak it after fair, FF nair, bair, AD, or when you've commited to a move (like aerial hammer or dair). High level lucarios are aware of the easy nature of AS and will not rely heavily on the projectile itself to get anywhere. It works on other characters with possibly more options against it, so I don't see the point in going further on the argument when the biggest thing is that it is a legitimate option and it forces an approach.
I think for the sake of brevity, I'll say AS will be most common in this MU for camping Kirby and pressure. Punishing and mixups are alternatives, but they will be things that come with the classic "arms race" argument, in which will inevitably end up in a long mental flowchart that we shouldn't even into when discussing a MU.
I want to hear what Kirby's think they should do for stages. Frankly, I don't entirely know what Kirbys would like most, but I figured RC is as close as you can get to a really good Kirby vs. Lucario stage in terms of upping Kirby's chances for winning.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I don't follow entirely. It's an option if the lucario wants to make AS much less telegraphed (it works much more than it should on paper), and to escape juggling that dair/AD can't handle, and it hasn't been tested, but it could work similarly to the new fox/zelda AT that acts as a bucket brake. I would hold off on calling it that though until we've actually tested it.
Like I said, explain what that would do besides "mindgames"? I guess it makes AS slightly more viable out of fair/bair aerial walls, but it's kinda flashy.
Edit: I can kind of see where you are going with this, but it still doesn't make his projectile camp game falco/TL tier. Lucario's don't really use it like snake where they use it to attempt to escape juggling, it's really more of an alternate movement since it's cancelable by AD and it's slightly more usable for attacking.
We already force an approach in this MU, which I think is enough for AS's purpose against someone as small and mobile as Kirby, although it will still be used now and then to control near ground level spacing/zones.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. I meant in terms of making Lucario work a bit more like Wario in the air, and making it so that he doesn't have to commit to anything should he decide he wants to play a bit more offensively. I'm aware that AS isn't the greatest projectile in the world for straight out camping, but the disjoint and speed of fair coupled with not having to commit to it and defending Lucario's retreat with the charge makes it very difficult for a character as slow as Kirby to find a way in. Everything you mentioned is great to consider as well so in a way I'm glad that I wasn't specific, but this is primarily what I had in mind.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
:urg:

What is this?

Are you basing this off any legitimate experience or is it pure theory? why on earth would anyone ever stand still charging an fsmash unless you are on the ledge and you cant exactly punish it. If thats the case, you could probably get away with spamming dash attack on the same lucario player and win, its quicker to get in the fsmash range.

same question for AS dodging. You cant evade it forever, and it will KO
It was purely theoretical, I don't really mean a Lucario will be charging a random fsmash anywhere. I meant that if we are on the ground anywhere near a Lucario that is about to use an fsmash, and we see it coming, we can either shield it, jump away, or walk closer and ftilt, since it'll clash or hit Lucario before his attack starts.

I might not have high-level Lucario experience, but I DO have some legit Luc vs Kirby experience, so bear with me on this. :dizzy:

And about the "you'll never be able to avoid AS/BAS forever"... Yeah, same thing applies to "don't get grabbed" in the IC vs anyone MU, or "don't get dsmashed as Fox" in the ZSS vs Fox MU...

Edit: Oh, right, stage selection!

For Kirby's advantage, I'd most probably go with any stage with the least amount of platforms to avoid giving Lucario any aerial advantages... RC shouldn't be a good CP in our favor, since Lucario isn't known for having a bad recovery/aerial movement. Plus, his disjoints allows him to control the area where he's navigating, a good enough reason to not pick a stage chock-full of platforms. Sure, gimping you guys wouldn't be half bad here, but only like in 1/6th of the whole stage will we be able to successfully gimp you, were the other 5/6 would be a stage where you defend yourself properly against gimps.

And a good CP for Lucario... Probably either YI or Frigate. Any stage that gives you a decent wall to stick to, as well as a platform to abuse, that way you survive longer AND control the air much more efficiently.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
But what would be a good stage for YOU, as Kirby? I don't really know, I'd say BF is pretty nice for a neutral for Kirby since platform pressure is actually kinda meh for lucario (it's not bad, but certainly it's not close to marth league), but I haven't looked very much into CPing against Kirby, it seems like not a big issue fighting kirby no matter where it goes unless it has really lopsided advantages in things.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But what would be a good stage for YOU, as Kirby? I don't really know, I'd say BF is pretty nice for a neutral for Kirby since platform pressure is actually kinda meh for lucario (it's not bad, but certainly it's not close to marth league), but I haven't looked very much into CPing against Kirby, it seems like not a big issue fighting kirby no matter where it goes unless it has really lopsided advantages in things.
Kirby doesn't really do bad in any stage, really. He's kinda like MK on this, where he doesn't have bad stages, but has a "worst" out of all the good stages.

I don't really know where a Kirby can take a Lucario... And I believe Lucario can do pretty nice platform pressure with his uair and usmash. I really think FD or SV (maybe even JJ) are good choices for Kirby. In JJ, we can still count on the kirbicide, since instead of getting a footstool, we get you to touch the water and get rushed to the blast zone first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom