• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texture and Vertex Hack Database & How-to Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have literally no idea what you just said, any guide on this? I use Photoshop CS2 so yeah i hope you can explain it a bit better x.x How are the textures anyway?
There are two different kinds of textures, which are the normal textures, and the indexed textures.

Normal textures have the file names, tex#00_00, tex#00_01, tex#00_02, tex#00_03, tex#00_04, tex#00_05, tex#00_06, and tex#00_14.

Indexed textures have the file names, tex#00_08+0, tex#00_08+1, tex#00_08+2, tex#00_09+0, tex#00_09+1, and tex#00_09+2.

To give the indexed textures an indexed palette with Photoshop, go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color.... From there, choose Local (Perceptual), and set the number of colors that the texture will use. Remember that the texture must not have more colors than what its palette has.

On a side note, TarGA Images (.tga) lose their Alpha Channel when indexed. Therefore, you need to fill the transparent areas with perfect magenta (#ff00ff) when using ASH to create your textures.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Here you go. BlazingKatakiri made it.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ytwgymjbmxy

Kata's work was on Kittycorp, before it went down, lol.
Thank you so much, and props to Kata its a great texture, when i saw it i said I had to have it lol. Someone should post this link someone other people can find it.

(for searching reason for other people I will put the works Final Destination Melee Texture in this post in hopes they can find it this way)

D.B.K.

Smash Ace
NNID
tinyfuses
Not bad at all for your first hacks Chileno. I really like Meta Knights mask.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Not bad at all for your first hacks Chileno. I really like Meta Knights mask.
Thanks man, i really appreciate it. The mask is awesome indeed :D

There are two different kinds of textures, which are the normal textures, and the indexed textures.

Normal textures have the file names, tex#00_00, tex#00_01, tex#00_02, tex#00_03, tex#00_04, tex#00_05, tex#00_06, and tex#00_14.

Indexed textures have the file names, tex#00_08+0, tex#00_08+1, tex#00_08+2, tex#00_09+0, tex#00_09+1, and tex#00_09+2.

To give the indexed textures an indexed palette with Photoshop, go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color.... From there, choose Local (Perceptual), and set the number of colors that the texture will use. Remember that the texture must not have more colors than what its palette has.

On a side note, TarGA Images (.tga) lose their Alpha Channel when indexed. Therefore, you need to fill the transparent areas with perfect magenta (#ff00ff) when using ASH to create your textures.
Now this explains it better, thanks a lot The_Mario_&_Sonic_Guy :D

Mathys

Smash Rookie
i am having problems with this indexing pallette thing im trying to do a donkey kong texture and almost all of his tga's are indexed textures and i tried to do Image > Mode > Indexed Color... perceptual but when i ran the second step create it still showed errors for all of them even the ones i didnt edit.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
i am having problems with this indexing pallette thing im trying to do a donkey kong texture and almost all of his tga's are indexed textures and i tried to do Image > Mode > Indexed Color... perceptual but when i ran the second step create it still showed errors for all of them even the ones i didnt edit.
You need to use Photoshop when indexing most textures. Also, if you didn't edit any of the indexed textures, just input n to ignore them. Additionally, the indexed textures must not use more colors than the set palette; all of DK's indexed textures use 256 colors, which puts that problem behind.

Some people may still be using an older version of ASH. The latest version (v2.3) works better than the older versions.

Mathys

Smash Rookie
i am using photoshop but im still getting the errors im only recoloring so i dont think that im going over the color limit but im using ash v2.2 so ill see if i can find the next one

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I fail at textures, but I'm sure this isn't right:

I used stash to change the color of "043GrdSamus1Water" in Brinstar to green rather then the default yellow using PS, then saved it. When I went to step2create, it didn't ask me anything about it, as if I hadn't edited it. Then it goes on to ask about a whole bunch of other files, and I say "n" to all of them. It then goes on to add the normal textures, and then says: "file too big".

Wtf? (that's ALL I did, nothing else)

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Ok i made SOnics eye color, not the pupil but his white eye color green. But when i play as him in brawl it comes out Greyish-Black. Why does it do that, and how can i fix?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ok i made SOnics eye color, not the pupil but his white eye color green. But when i play as him in brawl it comes out Greyish-Black. Why does it do that, and how can i fix?
Sonic's eye base texture part only accepts grayscale colors. You need to edit Sonic's eye iris AND Final Smash eye by filling the transparent backgrounds with the eye base color that you want.

Zee-V70

Smash Rookie
Could I get some help? I'm trying to give some characters textures--I have everything in the right places, I have the proper codes, but either one of two things happens:
a) The textures don't show up, or
b) It freezes when you try to go to something that involves using characters (e.g. Brawl, Training, etc.)
I additionally have some of the music on it changed, but I don't see any reason as to why this would interfere.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Check your codes, check your textures and make sure that none of them are corrupted

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
When I download textures from the donkeydas site, it freezes my game when I try to choose the alt. costume I dled. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? (It usually does it fine on other sites)

Alphatron

Smash Champion
That "Hi, I'm Daisy!" strap loader a few pages back doesn't work even if you rename it to StrapEn.pac. The file is also 64 kb for whatever reason.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
You waited after one post to quote yourself? Patience.

I can't imagine a reason why textures from just one site don't work unless the files are corrupted or you're doing it wrong.
Sorry, I've just been stressed lately w/ a lot of homework. Probably why I'm impatient :p.
Could someone check if they can do it now? If it does work, could you give me a step-by-step of how you did it?

Ayen

Smash Apprentice
Someone can send me the Final Destination texture " Final Frontier " by Fit Artifex.

-dUb-

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I've just been stressed lately w/ a lot of homework. Probably why I'm impatient :p.
Could someone check if they can do it now? If it does work, could you give me a step-by-step of how you did it?
Pretty sure they come in .rar files. Did you extract the files inside?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I know that there's at least a few people who wanted this, so here it is. A "patch" for the Ice Climbers so that they can have separate face textures!

I made this patch a few days ago (after Kryal released BrawlBox 0.58b), and I wanted to "fix" Dhragen's Ice Mages skin, since I wasn't too happy with the way it looked beforehand with White Mage Nana's face matching Black Mage Popo's. (Anyone who's played the first Final Fantasy would know that only the Black Mage has that face. Not the White Mage.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nnattglkmdq

This ZIP file has the modified MDL0 files for Popo and Nana, but you'll have to use the new eye textures with them (which are doubled-up horizontally now, so that Popo uses the left half and Nana uses the right half). It also contains the modified version of Dhragen's Ice Mages skin, as seen in the screenshots above. (I hope he doesn't mind me including it.)

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
I know that there's at least a few people who wanted this, so here it is. A "patch" for the Ice Climbers so that they can have separate face textures!

I made this patch a few days ago (after Kryal released BrawlBox 0.58b), and I wanted to "fix" Dhragen's Ice Mages skin, since I wasn't too happy with the way it looked beforehand with White Mage Nana's face matching Black Mage Popo's. (Anyone who's played the first Final Fantasy would know that only the Black Mage has that face. Not the White Mage.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nnattglkmdq

This ZIP file has the modified MDL0 files for Popo and Nana, but you'll have to use the new eye textures with them (which are doubled-up horizontally now, so that Popo uses the left half and Nana uses the right half). It also contains the modified version of Dhragen's Ice Mages skin, as seen in the screenshots above. (I hope he doesn't mind me including it.)
this made me a happy man

iChilla0

Smash Cadet
Broken Texture

Meh, I have nobody else to turn to. People who visit ESH are useless and haven't been able to help at all. So, I'm going to ask all of you guys for a favor. I have a stage that I made on Castle Siege. It looks fine when editing, but upon loading it into the game, some of the textures become distorted. I've tried several things, and nothing seems to be working. Can anyone analyze this and fix the problem? I'll post a link to the pictures below and a download for the PAC files. If anyone can do this for me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Pictures
Download

-L

Steelia

Smash Champion

Ahh, very nice, now THAT is more like it... Though, Melee was fortunate enough to not have the sexist face sharing, so the idea has already been executed.
Still. Very nice. What are the chances of seeing Dhragen's Masked Man have two sides of a face instead of sharing half of one?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
does anyone have a list of stage textures thats been updated in the past 4 months? lol

stage textures are like the coolest ones, but theres no good source to get them all...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Still. Very nice. What are the chances of seeing Dhragen's Masked Man have two sides of a face instead of sharing half of one?
No chance at all.

Just kidding. ;D

I can't test this out at the moment, so let me know if works.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xxw4jwn2izy

(EDIT: It works, but not the one without the backpack, so I've removed that alternate MDL0. Also, the one in-game doesn't have the hair in the front like in the picture above.)

Eldiran

Smash Lord
An experiment with BrawlBox, for those who prefer Fox's moveset but Wolf's appearance -- this is a texture for Fox that changes him to look like Wolf. Glitch-free, the only problem is that he holds his blaster upward, making his Neutral B fire over the heads of most. Also the shield is positioned oddly.

Other than that, works flawlessly!
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ygo4ntjzty0

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Are there any cool textures for DK? I'd like to see Juggernaut, Hulk, and Spark Mandrill. Especially Spark Mandrill.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
There are only three good DK textures. Golden DK(the one that actually shines), Zangief, and Gutsman.

Top Bottom