• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vertical spacing - an overlooked aspect of spacing in Brawl

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
As it so happens, every once in a while, I get a message asking me to delve deeper into a topic regarding this game. Today, it was vertical spacing. As usual, rather than replying only to the person who asked the question, I present this topic to all who wish to learn.

This topic is easier to show, and tricky to explain universally (as opposed to character specifically) so if you are confused at all, feel I have left something out, or have more questions, PLEASE feel free to ask them in the thread. I'm going to suggest that when I post a video, you read the section, then watch the video, then read the section again. The sections accompanied by video are colored.

Before I can properly explain vertical spacing, I must first explain spacing in general. Spacing is properly positioning yourself so that you are at the optimal range to strike at your opponent while remaining as safe as possible. As usually, I will use Marth to demonstrate in my example. Most times, the optimal spacing with Marth while attacking is the tip of the blade. Regardless of it doing the most damage, if blocked or challenged, Marth is at the furthest point away from his opponent so that he is most likely to win the engagement. If you are Falco, trying to Bair a Marth who is spacing properly, Marth will win because he has greater range.

You don't always have to have a lot of range to space, or even more range than your opponent. If Marth is shielding, Falco still needs to space his Bair on his shield properly, else he could easily shield grab him for it. Many attacks are not able to be shield-grabbed when properly spaced.

Spacing also plays a huge role in zoning. Zoning is the act of trying to control a particular area in order to protect yourself from your opponent.

Normally, most players focus exclusively on horizontal spacing. In Brawl, while in the air, you can only control moving forwards or backwards. Aside from jumping, gliding, and a few moves, you can't really adjust moving up and down outside of fast falling, the same way you can decide to move left and right, both on the ground and in mid-air. For this reason, most of the spacing takes place horizontally, because most players will be fighting on same relative vertical plane.

However, even though we cannot freely adjust the amount we move vertically, we can exploit our opponent's lack of this ability as well, to gain an upper-hand, not only by being closer or further to and from our opponent, but by being higher or lower. This is vertical spacing.

Now, to explain vertical spacing, I usually like to use dramatic examples like Wario and Peach to explain, because they do a really good job of showing it. First Peach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqNxzP2uU0g

I lose this match. Normally, I play a much more aggressive style which is far better suited to combat a character like Peach. Her defensive power is simply lower than Marth's offensive power. However, in this match, I wanted to experiment with vertically spacing against Peach, and my opponent is also skilled in this aspect, which is why it's a perfect example for this explanation. Admittingly, I was also slightly nervous and excited to fight a skilled Peach, so I played more defensively, although that's less likely to happen today.

Peach's forward air comes out slowly, but it auto-cancels. This generally means that Peach is likely to use a falling Fair into the ground, as to not have lag when she uses it. It has a lot of range, and packs a lot of power. Normally, Marth isn't very afraid of forward aerials, since he has the best one in the game. However, Peach can also float, which allows her to adjust her horizontal spacing very, very, precisely. For this reason, I resort to vertical spacing. If Peach is aiming to zone me with Fair, she is likely going to be trying to auto-cancel, which means hitting a target on the ground, or near the ground, and she'll be falling. Peach players generally do not use a rising Fair, or approach with a floating fair without canceling, because then they will be punished out of shield in the cooldown of the attack.

Since the nature of this move calls for it to be used while falling, I can find it easier to avoid simply by being above Peach. This is why you frequently see me full-hopping. Trying to hit a Marth above you with a falling auto-cancelled Fair is far less effective, and allows me to crash down on top of Peach. Instead of going to head to head with a character that has better mobility through floating, and comparable range and safety, I simply went around. You'll note that Vanz is quite skilled, and also uses Full Hops against me because Marth's Fair suffers a similar weakness (though it has less start-up and probably less cool-down than Peach's Fair, and Nair definitely suffers this weakness.) I used Nair just to test it, and because it covers Marth for a long time while he's off the ground, while enabling me to catch a turnip and continue through with the attack, or cut through a turnip in a similar fashion.

You'll note throughout the match that Vanz and I try to navigate hits in with full hops, or cutting underneath the opponent. Being closer to the ground and lower can also be an advantage.

Vertical spacing is IMPERATIVE in winning most dittos, since you have identical horizontal range and mobility. Being on the rise or on the fall while launching your attack is generally very important.

Next, I'll mention Fox and Wario. These characters are far more similar in playstyle than one might originally think, because of the way they utilize vertical spacing to combat other characters. I'll focus more on Wario, since he's a more relevant character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdbdyXapc1I

Wario has great aerial mobility, which you think would make him excellent at horizontal spacing, but his utter lack of range his aerials means that a patient player can often beat him in the air or wall him out. However, Wario players have learned that by full hopping, they can easily drop in above their opponent, almost completely bypassing their main defenses. This is why approaching with Dair has become such a popular tactic with Wario. Note how in this match Malcolm starts off with Dair, and uses it mainly. It's much harder for Ally to use Uair and Utilt to zone out a character as mobile as Wario, and is harder to do, since he's approaching from above, but also approaching from the side. By not putting himself in ftilt's path, he gets to Snake MUCH easier.

Note the use of Uairs whenever applicable, and Nairs are used mainly as a GTFO move, or as a dodge punisher. Fair and Bair are RARELY ever used to approach.

Although I would've loved to feature a good match of me and R00kie to talk about Fox, I could not find a recent video online that I felt applied to the lesson at hand. Instead, you'll just have to listen.

Fox rises and falls very quickly, but has low amounts of priority. This causes him to lose many direct encounters. To avoid this, Fox camps with lasers and forces an approach. Now, Fox has decent grounded options, however, he also has an amazing fall speed. Foxes have learned to fully take advantage of this by full hopping utilizing their fast rising speed to avoid certain options like SHaerial or grab, and still being able to fall fast enough to punish with a devastating Dair->****. I merely await the day when Fox players begin mixing in Illusions away on reaction when their opponent doesn't leave themselves open.

Also, Fox's use shine to give themselves a slight vertical boost and freeze when knocked away to avoid follow-ups and juggles. Skilled Marth's and Mario's use their SideBs in a similar fashion, as to not get punished for a typical airdodge. Some MK players use DownB to escape juggles by readjusting their height and distance simultenously. All of these can be examples of types of vertical spacing.

Please note that vertical spacing is not an alternative to horizontal spacing. You must still horizontally space for your overall spacing to be efficient and effective. Vertical spacing is merely another aspect of it. Also, the same way you can space vertically to avoid a horizontal line of fire, you can space horizontally to avoid a vertical line of fire. When trying to juggle Lucario, I dare not challange their Dair with my Uair directly. Instead, I move to the side of Lucario a bit so that the Dair misses, and I can still connect with a side part of Uair, or a different aerial, like Fair or Bair.

That concludes this brief, but hopefully helpful tutorial on vertical spacing. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, improvements, or criticisms, please feel free to post.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Good read.

I think you should put a list of moves that can be used to help give vertical boosts along with this (a complete list)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Hmmm, I thought Marth's Uair did beat Lucario's dair directly, but not from an angle.

Weird. I need to check that...

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Hmmm, I thought Marth's Uair did beat Lucario's dair directly, but not from an angle.

Weird. I need to check that...
It is very difficult to test the exact range head to head, though I believe Marth's Uair wins slightly. However in the encounter, because the Dair breaks Lucario's falling momentum and stays out longer, he will win this challenge FAR more often, and it is easier to hit him from the side.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I thought this was common knowledge...

JK, it's actually a very good read.
I wish I had your skill to make things look that clear and simple.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've been talking about vertical spacing for a while.

It's a great concept that many Marth's truly ignore, and people often misconceive about their character if they don't have 5 jumps.

A lot of players fall into the habit that full hops are completely useless, generally because of how aerials (i.e. no L cancelling) have changed in brawl, where in general it was always better to be closer to the ground doing aerials in Melee/64.

Marths/Others are starting to learn that characters with slow mobility (Snake, Dedede) are a lot easier to beat with rising FULL HOP aerials, rather than always being in danger of an immediate OoS option whilst being at short hop height. Even landing directly into the ground i.e. "mimimum disadvantage" (for the better aerials in brawl this is -4), it still puts you in danger of superior range/options in the grounded horizontal plane from Snake/D3.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I find it quite funny, that very soon after Brawl's release I was annoyed about how my Fox main friend would just full hop over my Toon Link's bairs (I don't think he even COULD short hop) and punish with dair before I could do anything.

Now I know he was just vertically spacing better than me >.<

Browny

Smash Hater
^^ I think thats more of a case of him simply jumping over your attack and hitting you with one of his own.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's definitely a thing I've wanted to tell Lucarios to use more since half his aerials have a hitbox underneath, and is useful against non-arching attacks in general, but still really useful.
Crouching is another thing that I think some characters could use more. The fact that your hurtbox minimizes or at least changes does a lot of things people forget about.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Vertical and diagonal (vertical and horizontal) are IMPERATIVE to a high-level Kirby playstyle. Without this, Kirby would be outright beat by most characters' attacks or shieldgrabs. I think the concept of "vertical spacing" isn't really well-known around mid-level play, and everyone tends to space fairs and bairs horizontally, making for a different view of the metagame at those lower levels... Which, of course, explains why some people state things like how X character has nothing on Y character due to his moveset being easily shieldgrabbed/beaten by Z attack (vertical spacing talk may not be applicable on all situations, but enough to make such lower-leveled matches' outcomes change at higher levels, like how some characters would go closer to even against MK).

I also thought this was very common sense, like, some of the things you learn while starting to play. It's pretty vital to safe approaches, as well as taking away some of the opponents' options.

EDIT: ****, Pierce has a lot of people reading what he says. He made this post and it ALREADY has over 4000 posts! It won't be long before it's over 9000.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I'm glad you decided to expand this after the Japan thread where your concern seemed to birth lol.

nicely done

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I assume spacing vertically would be better for characters w/ more aerial mobility like horizontal spacing since you're forced to be pulled down eventually no matter how high in the air you go.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Pierce, why are you so good at writing stuff like this?
Lucky for us, he's in the SBR, and SBR people are always wrong! :bee:

/sarcasm_and_trolling_SBR_haters_YOU_KNOW_WHO_YOU_ARE

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
The SBR isn't bad actually. They really try hard to help you guys, and struggle because of the recently acquired bad stigma, combined with the cope of rebuilding PROPERLY after the MLG takeover. You really shouldn't think of the SBR as a collective mind that is just out to be cool, because they're not like that at all. A lot of people wondered why I was so interested in getting in, but I'm happy to find out that the SBR is actually quite what I expected, and if perhaps the community was more willing to give them a bit of time, support, and a second chance, you'll find that we'll come through for you. Trust me, we're working on it. There's good guys back there.

I'm good at writing stuff like this because I read and study a lot, and my mind is just naturally bit for it. Genentics and effort combined I guess.

I'm really pleased to see you all like the guide. While I disapprove of +1, one liners, I really do appreciate the support, and it inspires me to keep writing guides like this.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I just don't like the fact that not all the characters are equally represented.

Who's repping for Lucas?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I just don't like the fact that not all the characters are equally represented.

Who's repping for Lucas?
At least your only "actually uses the character in normal tournaments" rep isn't a complete moron

Eh, probably best for another topic.

Back on topic: so if I'm reading this right...would Ike's Uair be a good vertical spacing tool, due to it's big hitbox, and eating airdodges when combined with Full hops + Fast Falling when the opponent is in the right position?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The SBR isn't bad actually. They really try hard to help you guys, and struggle because of the recently acquired bad stigma, combined with the cope of rebuilding PROPERLY after the MLG takeover. You really shouldn't think of the SBR as a collective mind that is just out to be cool, because they're not like that at all. A lot of people wondered why I was so interested in getting in, but I'm happy to find out that the SBR is actually quite what I expected, and if perhaps the community was more willing to give them a bit of time, support, and a second chance, you'll find that we'll come through for you. Trust me, we're working on it. There's good guys back there.
Heh, I was taking a stab at the number of people who believe what I said to be true. It was supposed to be a humor post, so meh. What's work, if you have no fun while doing it? Just work (but you don't enjoy it).

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm not going to get too far off-topic and talk too much about the SBR tier-list here, but members aren't chosen based off the characters they play. If a player shows the set of qualities the SBR needs, then they will have a greater chance of being added, regardless of main. We do WAY more than just organize the tier list twice a year, so it's not like we need a lot of people in just based off of their character expertise. It's not a character boards collaboration.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

I'm good at writing stuff like this because I read and study a lot, and my mind is just naturally bit for it. Genentics and effort combined I guess.

I'm really pleased to see you all like the guide. While I disapprove of +1, one liners, I really do appreciate the support, and it inspires me to keep writing guides like this.
I appreciate your hard work, Pierce. Thanks. Maybe you can critique me some day, lol, although I doubt you would have time for that.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
We do WAY more than just organize the tier list twice a year, so it's not like we need a lot of people in just based off of their character expertise. It's not a character boards collaboration.
And what, other than Tier Lists and Rule Sets, do you guys actually release?

Haven't really seen anything recently.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Kthanx. Now do walls.

jk, of course. I'm trying to apply this to my main, sheik. So from what I gather fullhopping sheik's fair should work well for this. I wouldn't use nair, because it leaves her to vulnerable when you don't hit the ground imo. More importantly I think sheik has a great tool in her crouch/crawl. I'm having hard time picturing how exactly it would work for vertical spacing, but I feel it would. Any ideas?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Kthanx. Now do walls.

jk, of course. I'm trying to apply this to my main, sheik. So from what I gather fullhopping sheik's fair should work well for this. I wouldn't use nair, because it leaves her to vulnerable when you don't hit the ground imo. More importantly I think sheik has a great tool in her crouch/crawl. I'm having hard time picturing how exactly it would work for vertical spacing, but I feel it would. Any ideas?
Duck when falcos laser camp you.
-lol-

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Yeah originally I didn't want to comment because I figured you didn't want a "+1 one liner", but might as well say that these kind of guides are great. I'd love to see more of these (well there are already a ton, but you can't ever have too many, imo).

I'm surprised you didn't list MK DAir camping. I mean isn't that like a perfect example of vertical spacing?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Zero Suit Samus has the best vertical spacing in the game with her Up-air, and Up+b, good length double jump, aerial mobility and range.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Zero Suit Samus has the best vertical spacing in the game with her Up-air, and Up+b, good length double jump, aerial mobility and range.
She fails miserably when she has to space underneath her.

bobson

Smash Lord
Sheik's vertical spacing is pretty powerful. Her jump > double jump will send her very high very fast, and she's got a decent-range disjointed uair to throw out at the end of it that autocancels out of a shorthop. She can get back down just as fast with her fallspeed, allowing her to airdodge through most of the cast's moves to the ground if they're in the air with her. Her low dash attack, duck, crawl, and semi-low run all give her more options than usual on the ground, too. Also in her arsenal are mix-ups like up-B and dair as well as a downward-launching projectile.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was a bit disappointed to find out that there was no mention of transitioning between spacing vertically and horizontally while still airborne. You covered vertical spacing pretty well, but not its role in using the two in tandem, and adjusting mid-air as a result of how the opponent reacts to either. This can play a major role in the conditioning process. Perhaps that's for another day...

Aside from that, I think more players need to understand what role aerial maneuverability, air speed, and fast fall speed specifically play in vertical spacing, how to use your character's strengths in these categories to your advantage, and how to defend against them properly with the tools you've got at your disposal.

Still, as many have already said, it's a fantastic read and I'd recommend this to anyone.
I'm glad you take the time to write these helpful threads. :)

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
He actually did mention combining the use of both types of spacing when he mentioned Marth's uair vs Lucario's dair.

Yes sheik's jump and double jump are fast, but her dair sucks (unlike fox's) and using dair or airdodging rarely helps me get down safely. Vanish could be helpful if you cancel it I suppose. I do think that her ability to stay low on the ground is useful.

*wonders why DanGR has a little sheik icon next to his name* o.o

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
He actually did mention combining the use of both types of spacing when he mentioned Marth's uair vs Lucario's dair.

Yes sheik's jump and double jump are fast, but her dair sucks (unlike fox's) and using dair or airdodging rarely helps me get down safely. Vanish could be helpful if you cancel it I suppose. I do think that her ability to stay low on the ground is useful.

*wonders why DanGR has a little sheik icon next to his name* o.o
I took that example as a reason to space horizontally against Lucario while he's above you rather than vertically. Marth's upair is an attack reaching more vertically than horizontally, but he described its use as a spacing tool to attack moreso at an angle- not in a way that threatens Lucario from underneath and also from the side, or rather quick transitions between the two to increase your option select. Not that this is a potential problem for Lucario of all characters, but you get the gist. ;P

And I've got the icon because I've been using Sheik some. She's fun... and good.

gantrain05

Smash Master
peaches Dair spacing is very important to get it spaced right vertically, it lets her be safe from most attacks but still shield pressure/combo at the right height.

Top Bottom