• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheikah Survival Guide: A Sheik Match-up Thread

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think so.
air release > DACUS i think may work on him.
there's also a ground release chain grab that she has to run slightly after to regrab him, i think.
ness and lucas get grab released by a lot of people, unfortunately :(
blame sakurai.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You can't SDI out of the tilt lock and your recovery is terrible when compared to ours. Couple your horrible recovery with the fact that Sheik excels at offstage play and forcing her opponents off the stage and I think that is what truly gives her the advantage in this matchup.

I don't feel that it's too much of an advantage for Sheik though......bthrow kills SHeik at like 110% and Ness can wall Sheik fairly effectively with his aerials. I also have had Ness players nair out of ftilt but it may have just been eror on my part or ftilt not being decayed.

Also Uffe why are you in a matchup discussion if you haven't played the game in 4 months?

Uffe

Smash Hero
i think so.
air release > DACUS i think may work on him.
there's also a ground release chain grab that she has to run slightly after to regrab him, i think.
ness and lucas get grab released by a lot of people, unfortunately :(
blame sakurai.
Well there are some flaws that Ness doesn't have that Lucas does have. I'm happy to know that Ness has better match ups, too. Anyway, if it's an air release > DACUS, I'm not too sure I should be as worried since I'd assume by then Shiek's u-smash is staled. That ground one sounds like it'd be annoying, though.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i don't know of any sheiks that stale usmash.
dsmash is more used.
usmash is one of her most reliable kills moves so it should be kept fresh.
and the tip can kill snake with DI at around 100% i think?

Uffe

Smash Hero
You can't SDI out of the tilt lock and your recovery is terrible when compared to ours. Couple your horrible recovery with the fact that Sheik excels at offstage play and forcing her opponents off the stage and I think that is what truly gives her the advantage in this matchup.

I don't feel that it's too much of an advantage for Sheik though......bthrow kills SHeik at like 110% and Ness can wall Sheik fairly effectively with his aerials. I also have had Ness players nair out of ftilt but it may have just been eror on my part or ftilt not being decayed.

Also Uffe why are you in a matchup discussion if you haven't played the game in 4 months?
Our recovery is only terrible when we're below stage, otherwise we can make it back just fine. As for me being here, I'm simply bringing up what I can remember. Just because I haven't played for four months doesn't mean that I suddenly forget everything. If it were a year, then yeah, I could see why you'd ask.

Judo777

Smash Master
Ok concerning grab release options firstly ness and lucas are curse with getting out of ground break animations slow than everyone else in the game. So everyone with a reasonably quick move with a little range can grab release ness and lucas so they break out of the ground and get a free hit.

As for sheik, sheik does not have a grab release to DACUS on ness he air releases much higher than lucas and too high for a DACUS . Lucas however can be grab released to DACUS. The aerial relase to regrab again only works on lucas not ness. Sheik however can aerial release ness to a fair,nair and uair and maybe bair if like super buffered but that isnt that important. Most importantly ness can be grabbed near the edge and faired which hits at a downward angle which will generally put him at or below stage lvl. Another useful trick is grab release forcing a ground break can be followed up with ftilt which is extremely useful but i do not believe it combos into another grab i could be wrong but things dont always have to be combos to work.

And sheiks tether is how she should be recovering most of the time so our recovery is quite a bit better than yours. We have several options of killing you offstage including hitting u out of your second jump, edgehogging with or without the chain and also we can disrupt your pk thunder by either hitting it with an attack(even a needle tho its hard) or we can just fall above you and get hit by the pk thunder and then u die.

I'm not actually sure about the matchup but we do have grab release options on ness and we do **** him off stage.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm pretty sure on one of those japanese grab release videos sheik did ground release to regrab a ness... :|

Uffe

Smash Hero
And sheiks tether is how she should be recovering most of the time so our recovery is quite a bit better than yours. We have several options of killing you offstage including hitting u out of your second jump, edgehogging with or without the chain and also we can disrupt your pk thunder by either hitting it with an attack(even a needle tho its hard) or we can just fall above you and get hit by the pk thunder and then u die.

I'm not actually sure about the matchup but we do have grab release options on ness and we do **** him off stage.
Don't think that Ness won't use any aerials or dodge when he uses his second jump. As for this match up, it can't be just a GR and edge guarding/hogging that makes the match up, because that's not exactly how it works. Anyway, I'll be back probably tomorrow. Good night. :)

Snakeee

Smash Master
everyone? xD

her DACUS is pretty unpredictable, it covers at least half of FD.
and if you get grabbed released into it there's no way to escape.

her reappearance on vanish has wind, but does no damage.
we also have a tether to recover with.
Eh, the DACUS on it's own is a poor choice to me unless occasionally as a landing punish (which is nice). You can literally stop it with anything, but the grab release is just spectacular and works on a lot of characters.
The quicker players stop the solo DACUS on reaction, sometimes punishing really hard.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The grab release into ftilt is a situational. Sheik doesn't pummel fast enough to force a ground release every time.

Judo777

Smash Master
Ankoku is right they can air release if timed right but the good news is that regardless of whether they ground break or air break we always have a follow up option of some kind so if ness gets grabbed hes gonna have some problems.

Uffe ness has a nice fair coming back on stage but if ness can make it back on with a second jump then that give him many options and gimping wont be as easy then. The part where you have trouble is when youre knocked so far from the stage that a second jump wont be enough and u have to pkt2. Then we have ways of stopping u and we have a nice setup to that situation via grab release to fair at the higher percents. Again i dont have enough experience with the ness matchup to say whos favor its in but i am quite sure that sheik ***** ness offstage. But sheik ***** alot of ppl off stage.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I smell Ness underestimation.
Ness has an amazing air game, and a decent ground game. I think the match is in our favor, but it isn't an easy match up if the Ness can keep up pressure with spaced fair and not leave room for needles. yeah we have tons of strengths, edge guarding, grab release. but you guys are completely ignoring ness strengths.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I do believe your f-tilt lock only works on Ness at 20% and I think ends around 50%. And Sheik has a grab release on Ness? I mean, ****! Is Ness turning into Wario or something? Who else has a grab release on him? Anyway, if I do recall correctly, your f-tilt lock can be SDI'd out of, right? You've got your Needle Storm, but it's only really useful on the ground and attempting to gimp us. Our fair I do believe pretty much out-prioritizes most of your attacks. Feel free to correct me at any point as I haven't played this game for about four months now.

Sheik has a good DACUS, but it may be stopped by Ness' Yo-yo and surely PK Fire if timed right. Surprisingly PK Fire has fairly good range. As for your guys' recovery, I can't say it's any better than ours. Does the reappearance of Sheik's Up B harm her enemies or does that only work when she disappears? The reason I ask is because if you're put in a bad spot, you're bound to get edge guarded just as bad as Lucario.

The thing about both our recoveries is that it isn't over until you can get us at least below stage level. And just like Ness', your recovery is just as predictable as Zelda's, which means for us Ness mains, if we really wanted to PKT2 into you when you returned or use PK Flash on you, we could if we predict you correctly. What else? Well I can't really think of anything else at this point. But I can't agree with Snakeee that the match up is that high. If you guys do have the advantage, I'd at least say 55:45, Sheik or a possible even, who knows?
Our f-tilt lock is just that, a lock. If it was anything else we would call it f-tilt set ourselves up or punishment.

We have a AR better recovery than you.
We have a tether (you don't).
We both have good second jumps (yours is better).
We use our Vanish which when close to the ledge we auto grab it. We also have a big hit box.
You however, have to float there while others can attack your PK Thunder/time a ledge hog easily.

TBH, you have two edge guarding options.
#1 PK Fire/Thunder/Flash
We can simply counter this by using our Chain and instantly teleporting to the ledge.

#2 Edge hog
This limits you even worse IMO.
Unless our Vanish falls hort of the stage we will recover.

I seriously don't see us getting ledge hogged though.
Ness's attack send you diagnol and if not diagnol it can be DI'd/SDI'd to make it diagnol.
That means we can safely make it back without getting edge hogged.

ps Our chain reach is farther than your PK Fire reach I believe.
Yeah, the reason I had asked was because I've been finding a few other characters who could grab release him. :( But does Sheik really have one on Ness? I never knew about this. :urg:
Everything that you have heard about grab release is true.

I believe every character in the game has a ground grab release CG on you.
Well there are some flaws that Ness doesn't have that Lucas does have. I'm happy to know that Ness has better match ups, too. Anyway, if it's an air release > DACUS, I'm not too sure I should be as worried since I'd assume by then Shiek's u-smash is staled. That ground one sounds like it'd be annoying, though.
You are wrong.
Air release DACUS is legit and something to be feared.
On top of that, it is a KO.
i don't know of any sheiks that stale usmash.
dsmash is more used.
usmash is one of her most reliable kills moves so it should be kept fresh.
and the tip can kill snake with DI at around 100% i think?
I know some people who.
I am one of them.

DSmash for a KO?
That is more of a "**** off dude" move. Use it when you feel pressure or as a f-tilt lock ender/combo.

USmash, Nair, Vanish and maybe FSmash are your KO moves.
(Yes FSmash is useful... when spaces right.)
Ankoku is right they can air release if timed right but the good news is that regardless of whether they ground break or air break we always have a follow up option of some kind so if ness gets grabbed hes gonna have some problems.

Uffe ness has a nice fair coming back on stage but if ness can make it back on with a second jump then that give him many options and gimping wont be as easy then. The part where you have trouble is when youre knocked so far from the stage that a second jump wont be enough and u have to pkt2. Then we have ways of stopping u and we have a nice setup to that situation via grab release to fair at the higher percents. Again i dont have enough experience with the ness matchup to say whos favor its in but i am quite sure that sheik ***** ness offstage. But sheik ***** alot of ppl off stage.
I second this mans statement.

K, this is what I think is important in this match up.

Spacing:
Bair is to legit for spacing.
Spam it is you must. It out ranges this dude.
Just fear PK Fire.

Approaching:
Use Bair to approach.
If you can FF Nair that is also a good idea.
Fair is a semi good spacing idea, but it lacks a large range. Still use it to get decay, that is if the likely hood of punishment is low.

F-tilt:
lol, good shiz right here.
Try and grab him early on by using Bair/Fair/Nair.
From there get in your FULL f-tilt lock.
After that grab release him> f-tilt> regrab for more damage. If something happen and you mess up owell. Just throw Needle's.
When he is at KO perents, bring the heat.

Needle's:
Needle's are good against Ness since his only options are, get hit, reflect with Bat (lol), shield (and that jazz) and jump.
IMO, Needle him on his landing.

Chain:
Bad idea to chain camp this dude.
The better option is a chain guard.
He lack range to get you out of your chain when he is recovering. Just throw it out and keep the dude away. Eventually you set him up for you to ledge hog or you make him PK Thunder and his Thunder will hit the lip.

Some bullet points about Ness:

Avoid getting grabbed.
You really don't want to get grabbed.

If he uses PK Thunder you simply ask yourself "is he close?" or "is he right next to me?"
Ness's like to be skillful and flashy with PK Thunder.
If he is far away just throw Needle's.
If he is close get worried. They will try and hit you with that PK Thunder tail.
Your best option is to roll out of there. If you can dash before you roll since it increase's your roll distance. When you are safe and away from him, throw Needle's before he tries anything clever.

Don't get to cocky about your grabs release's K?
Remember that you still have to play on your toes. Grabs release's are only there as a little bit of extra support.

If the dude starts to raise his Hand over his head I want you to hit the L/R button ASAP!
He is gonna shoot the **** Fire at you. So just shield, jump and go from there (if he goes for another Fire roll back and throw Needle's).

His best KO option is FSmash.
It has some start up lag so just watch what you are doing. If you are in close you should be grabbing or f-tilting. If you are close to being close you should be SPACING with Bair. Spacing involves watching what they are doing. So watch and see if he is gonna hit you with the FSmash. If the answer is yes then avoid it and punish with a dash grab.

If he use's his double jump I want you to throw Needle's at him.
This stops him from continuing to recover and makes him use PK Thunder.
Read about the Chain if you want to know what happens next.

IMO, the match up is 60 - 40 Sheik.

:EDIT:
I smell Ness underestimation.
Ness has an amazing air game, and a decent ground game. I think the match is in our favor, but it isn't an easy match up if the Ness can keep up pressure with spaced fair and not leave room for needles. yeah we have tons of strengths, edge guarding, grab release. but you guys are completely ignoring ness strengths.
K, lets go over his strengths.
Fair
Nair
Bair
Good air movement and thus good spacing.
A sweet yo-yo.
A really good throw.

I match your spacing and raise you a shield grab.
I match your yo-yo with f-tilt.
I pray I don't get grabbed.....

He will try and take this match to the air.
Which is why spacing with Bair is soooooo important. You need to make sure that the very tip of your foot is in his face. Any closer and your are in the danger zone. Which is why shield grabbing is so important. If he is getting to close you need to stop jumping, land, hold L/R and hit A.

Besides, we have about what, 30 free damage in f-tilt lock + grab release games + an awesome gimp game + KO set ups.
A good Ness will give us a run for our money by spacing like a pro, but once we get a f-tilt lock (which leads into a grab) he can kiss low and mid percents (if played right) good bye.
They will be playing the match at the ledge, at high percents and when they have no damage to little damage.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea, that's what i was trying to say, <3. ness' air game is really something to watch out for.

his fair creates a huge barrier in front of him and forces sheik to just stand there and wait to see if he spaced it wrong. cuz if he short hops and fairs, and fades back afterwards, theres not much we can do, not even dacus or dash attack cuz if he spaces it right we can still block it. so we're forced into that position where we just have to kinda stand there and reset spacing cuz we can't punish it. his nair has more priority than you'd expect and will beat out our aerials. autocancel dair is also strangely hard to space against because his movement is awkward (you'd probably fight against it better if you knew how to play ness and memorized the way he moves ;))

sheik has the advantage but guys don't just say that because of all the gay stuff sheik can do to him. you have to take into account stuff like ness' really great air movement, honestly he can beat even characters like metaknight in the air. his problem is that his spacing game is slow and if we actually do manage to get close, there's not much he can do to our amazing frame data lol (kinda like toon link.) but like toon link, if he is spacing, it is hard to find the correct openings where u can punish him.

not to mention his KO moves are extremely strong. bthrow will kill us at around 110 or maybe lower, uair will kill around 90 if you are in a bad spot (like coming down from the air and he reads an air dodge or jump). watch out for rising uair, it's really unexpected. he is also good at edgeguarding with rising aerials like rising fair, rising nair, rising dair. he can also recover with rising aerials, or a rising air dodge. pretty much guys, memorize the way he can move with his jumps, especially his weird double jump. if u play ness u will understand much better

u have to manage to get close first before u can do all that gay stuff

savior, u just did exactly what <3 said and ignored ness' strengths. well, u talked about his grabs, but maybe you just dont know his strengths.

imo 55:45 if ness knows how to space really well. 60:40 usually, not many nesses are that good honestly :p but if i was to play Colin or Fow i would be scared as hell

saviorslegacy

yea, that's what i was trying to say, <3. ness' air game is really something to watch out for.

his fair creates a huge barrier in front of him and forces sheik to just stand there and wait to see if he spaced it wrong. cuz if he short hops and fairs, and fades back afterwards, theres not much we can do, not even dacus or dash attack cuz if he spaces it right we can still block it. so we're forced into that position where we just have to kinda stand there and reset spacing cuz we can't punish it. his nair has more priority than you'd expect and will beat out our aerials. autocancel dair is also strangely hard to space against because his movement is awkward (you'd probably fight against it better if you knew how to play ness and memorized the way he moves ;))

sheik has the advantage but guys don't just say that because of all the gay stuff sheik can do to him. you have to take into account stuff like ness' really great air movement, honestly he can beat even characters like metaknight in the air. his problem is that his spacing game is slow and if we actually do manage to get close, there's not much he can do to our amazing frame data lol (kinda like toon link.) but like toon link, if he is spacing, it is hard to find the correct openings where u can punish him.

not to mention his KO moves are extremely strong. bthrow will kill us at around 110 or maybe lower, uair will kill around 90 if you are in a bad spot (like coming down from the air and he reads an air dodge or jump). watch out for rising uair, it's really unexpected. he is also good at edgeguarding with rising aerials like rising fair, rising nair, rising dair. he can also recover with rising aerials, or a rising air dodge. pretty much guys, memorize the way he can move with his jumps, especially his weird double jump. if u play ness u will understand much better

u have to manage to get close first before u can do all that gay stuff

savior, u just did exactly what <3 said and ignored ness' strengths. well, u talked about his grabs, but maybe you just dont know his strengths.

imo 55:45 if ness knows how to space really well. 60:40 usually, not many nesses are that good honestly :p but if i was to play Colin or Fow i would be scared as hell
lol I just refreshed and saw this.
I edited in his strengths when I saw <3's post.

I used to play a Ness main. He won most of the time cuz he spaced like a *****.
Bair gives him some trouble, but his spacing game is scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfg9OaGAHiw&feature=related
This vid shows good Sheik spacing... but VERY poor use of the grab release.
Now implement grab release into this video, tell him to not throw the needle on the recovring Ness so early, use the chain at the ledge and what do you get?
If you notice he did stop Ness's second jump with a Needle at the very end.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i thought it was common sense ness' air game is awesome.
that's why you try to stay grounded

Snakeee

Smash Master
I do think Ness is a very underrated character...but so is Sheik (well Sheik is better than Ness I'm pretty positive).
So, I'm definitely not just saying things because I think Ness is bad or something. He's not at all.

saviorslegacy

I do think Ness is a very underrated character...but so is Sheik (well Sheik is better than Ness I'm pretty positive).
So, I'm definitely not just saying things because I think Ness is bad or something. He's not at all.
Difference is that we have more options.
If it wasn't for the stupid 40 frame grab release they have I bet they would be mid middle tier.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Our f-tilt lock is just that, a lock. If it was anything else we would call it f-tilt set ourselves up or punishment.

We have a AR better recovery than you.
We have a tether (you don't).
We both have good second jumps (yours is better).
We use our Vanish which when close to the ledge we auto grab it. We also have a big hit box.
You however, have to float there while others can attack your PK Thunder/time a ledge hog easily.
What the hell is an AR? Having a tether doesn't necessarily mean safer return, or Ivysaur, Olimar and Link would make it back most of the time. Also, if we're above or at stage level, chances are Ness will make it back the majority of the time. If we're below the stage, there is a possibility we can also make it back. After all, we don't always aim for the edge.

TBH, you have two edge guarding options.
#1 PK Fire/Thunder/Flash
We can simply counter this by using our Chain and instantly teleporting to the ledge.
Again, this will only happen if we're below stage level, otherwise we make it back. As for PK Thunder, there is a chance we can stage spike you with it. But most of the time it's just to harass you while you try and recover.

I seriously don't see us getting ledge hogged though.
Ness's attack send you diagnol and if not diagnol it can be DI'd/SDI'd to make it diagnol.
That means we can safely make it back without getting edge hogged.
If Sheik can do that, then can't everybody else? I'm talking about though DI and SDI part.

ps Our chain reach is farther than your PK Fire reach I believe.
But it also leaves you open for a PK Fire. Even if you escape it, we can still get some damage on you.

Everything that you have heard about grab release is true.

I believe every character in the game has a ground grab release CG on you.
I don't really think so. I know Lucas doesn't. I'm sure there are a few others that don't. Even so, this doesn't stop a character like Wario from doing good against characters that can GR him.

You are wrong.
Air release DACUS is legit and something to be feared.
On top of that, it is a KO.
I still don't fear it, but yeah, I'm wrong about the u-smash staling because the f-tilt will most likely refresh that. Anyway, GRs and gimping doesn't make a match up alone. I'm still going with 55:45, Sheik or dead even. And where the heck are the other Ness mains? :S

Judo777

Smash Master
SL grab air release to DACUS is not guarenteed on ness. ness releases way too high.

Uffe u are making some good points but im not sure you are following some of the stuff of what we are saying like the pk fire chain comment doesnt make much sense. SL was saying we can chain the stage further than u can pk fire when we are recovering so pk fire wont hit us. Also ivysaur, olimar, both have required tethers which means they have no options but that and links recovery just sucks. Sheik has the best tether in the game cause i dont think you can be hit while she is going up(if you can its still very hard cause of how fast we move) and most importantly we dont have to use the tether we can just recover normal if we want. that choice is HUGE.

Im not saying the matchup is largely in our favor cause ness has many strengths that can cope with his weakness off stage (firstly cause we have a grab re;lease option that will hit u below the stage). These strengths are an excellent aerial game that is better than ours IMO and hes has a freaking kill throw and a solid projectile game. But we have our advantages too like crippling speed, a good projectile game if we use it right, we can combo and we **** off stage combine this with the gay grab game we have on you id say its actually 60/40 maybe even better but thats just IMO

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
55:45 sheik agreed???????

judo777, i'm pretty sure he was talking about using the pk fire on our ground chain, not our tether

lol you people saying sheik has a HUGE advantage reallllly need to learn how to play ness and play to his strengths. he's a really good character and honestly i would prefer to use him over sheik in matchups like MK or IC's, maybe even DDD since it's less stressful

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'd rather use sheik vs MK.
she can camp better.
aka be better (gayer) at brawl in general.
lol at people who take this post srsly.

saviorslegacy

What the hell is an AR? Having a tether doesn't necessarily mean safer return, or Ivysaur, Olimar and Link would make it back most of the time. Also, if we're above or at stage level, chances are Ness will make it back the majority of the time. If we're below the stage, there is a possibility we can also make it back. After all, we don't always aim for the edge.

Again, this will only happen if we're below stage level, otherwise we make it back. As for PK Thunder, there is a chance we can stage spike you with it. But most of the time it's just to harass you while you try and recover.

If Sheik can do that, then can't everybody else? I'm talking about though DI and SDI part.

But it also leaves you open for a PK Fire. Even if you escape it, we can still get some damage on you.

I don't really think so. I know Lucas doesn't. I'm sure there are a few others that don't. Even so, this doesn't stop a character like Wario from doing good against characters that can GR him.

I still don't fear it, but yeah, I'm wrong about the u-smash staling because the f-tilt will most likely refresh that. Anyway, GRs and gimping doesn't make a match up alone. I'm still going with 55:45, Sheik or dead even. And where the heck are the other Ness mains? :S
#1 Uhhh... I don't remember what AR is. I went to answer your question and forgot it. -_-
My brain is fryed. I had 2 hours of Spanish today + 6 hours of Spanish lab work. My brain is like half foreign right now. I tried to carry a conversation at dinner... didn't happen. <,<
When I remember what an AR is I'll tell ya.

Link= poor up B
Ivy= lol
Olimar= lol
Sheik= pretty good up B + a tether
When you edge guard Link or the other two you just kinda auto go for the ledge. It goes without saying.
With Sheik, she has the best of both worlds. That makes it more of a guessing game. Thus, a higher chance to get the tether.

The way I am looking at it.
We can throw Needle's to stop your jump and **** you when you attempt to come in to use your up B.
If you come in low and we can't use Needle's to stop you than I guess you don't have a reason to use up B and you shouldn't be over the ledge yet. If you try and go straight up your gonna get chain hogged.

#2 You miss read my post. Those options where for you to keep us off of the ledge.

#3 Yes you can.
However, our Fair kinda puts you in a worse shape then what you can put us in.
Also, you can't stop our second jump. We can stop yours.

#4 How, we either fall below the stage, then warp or just warp in the first place. If you try and pursue we roll onto the stage.
PK Fire= scary if we go with Vanish as a recovery.

#5 Wario can out space like Jiggly did in Melee.
Also, people don't have as many options on Wario as they do on you.
Most rely footstools which are hard to get every time.

Yes, everyone does.
Your release fame count is 40. Everyone else has 30 frames, except for Bowser, his is 20.
That means EVERY character in the game has a 10 frame advantage on you.
unless that person has something like a 11 frame grab you are not safe.

This is the equivalent of a CG at every percent you are at including 999. The only character that has something like that is Dedede.

#6 The way I look at it is you have a superior spacing game and that is it. You can still get shield grabbed though.
We have GR CG's (BTW, we can take the GR> f-tilt to your death), a spacing game that can compete with you, better ground movement, a projectile that you can only either shield it or hit it with your bat (I don't see a problem here since you will be jumping around a lot and we can Needle you when you land to remove ALL of your options), a KO option that kills you before 100% (add that to the 30% for the f-tilt lock, 21% from 1 Needle Storm and a bunch of GR options that could run maybe 30-40%), a really good gimp game and better recovery options.

I am only saying it is a contest because getting a full Needle Storm and one f-tilt on you may not happen, that and you might be able to escape once or twice.

Here is something that we could do to you:
full Needle storm (21%)> Bair (which combo's into f-tilt)> f-tilt lock> grab> pummel (each pummel does three percent)> grab release> f-tilt (repeat 4 times)> f-tilt> USmash for a KO.
In that combo your only fighting is between the Needle's and the Bair.

How can you say this match up is even?
If we mess up on a grab release we can Fair you can more than likely get a gimp if we play like we aren't high.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Man, I am so glad I stopped caring about stuff in this thread lol.

saviorslegacy

i'd rather use sheik vs MK.
she can camp better.
aka be better (gayer) at brawl in general.
lol at people who take this post srsly.
Wait did you just say camp?
Camping with Sheik= a no no
She has way to much cool down to do that.

Instead use Needle's to do this:
combo
to gimp
as an anti camp tool (like for Pikmin)
to take out Snakes mines (use it in the air)
to force an approach (different than camping)

Camping= sitting in one spot and keeping people from reaching you
Pit can do this with his arrows.
Man, I am so glad I stopped caring about stuff in this thread lol.
I usually try not to post in here since there is ALWAYS an argument unless everyone votes for even.
I usually compare options and find a strategy to take care of most match ups to give us an advantage or even.
So I usually cause the arguments. lol

Uffe

Smash Hero
The way I am looking at it.
We can throw Needle's to stop your jump and **** you when you attempt to come in to use your up B.
If you come in low and we can't use Needle's to stop you than I guess you don't have a reason to use up B and you shouldn't be over the ledge yet. If you try and go straight up your gonna get chain hogged.
Keep in mind that Ness will not always land below stage level. You're making it sound easier than it really is. Also, Ness can still air dodge when he's recovering. As for Sheik's chain, if Ness gets hit, he'll go back into regular falling animation and he'll be able to use his PKT2 again.

#2 You miss read my post. Those options where for you to keep us off of the ledge.
I thought you were talking about on the ground.

#3 Yes you can.
However, our Fair kinda puts you in a worse shape then what you can put us in.
Also, you can't stop our second jump. We can stop yours.
Your fair is also short ranged and not as powerful as it was in Melee. And your second jump can be stopped. At least I'm pretty sure it can. I've canceled my opponents' second jumps with the tail of PKT before. It doesn't happen often, but I'm sure that it can cancel second jumps. Unless something else happened all of those times. :confused:

#5 Wario can out space like Jiggly did in Melee.
Also, people don't have as many options on Wario as they do on you.
Most rely footstools which are hard to get every time.
Wario spaces better, but his fair doesn't have a disjointed hitbox. Ness' does and he can retreat his fair.

Yes, everyone does.
Your release fame count is 40. Everyone else has 30 frames, except for Bowser, his is 20.
That means EVERY character in the game has a 10 frame advantage on you.
unless that person has something like a 11 frame grab you are not safe.

This is the equivalent of a CG at every percent you are at including 999. The only character that has something like that is Dedede.
Nah, I don't really think that every character has a grab release on Ness. I know Sonic, Wario, I guess Sheik now, Pit, ZSS, possibly Wolf, I'm not sure yet, Bowser and Donkey Kong do have a grab release on Ness. I'm missing a few others, but not every character. Someone brought up Lucas having a grab release on Ness, I didn't believe it and sure enough he doesn't. So no, not everybody has a grab release on him.

#6 The way I look at it is you have a superior spacing game and that is it. You can still get shield grabbed though.
We have GR CG's (BTW, we can take the GR> f-tilt to your death), a spacing game that can compete with you, better ground movement, a projectile that you can only either shield it or hit it with your bat (I don't see a problem here since you will be jumping around a lot and we can Needle you when you land to remove ALL of your options), a KO option that kills you before 100% (add that to the 30% for the f-tilt lock, 21% from 1 Needle Storm and a bunch of GR options that could run maybe 30-40%), a really good gimp game and better recovery options.
Sheik won't stay on the ground throughout the whole match. You only have one projectile and once you're in the air, we can continuously use PKT to rack up damage. You can air dodge all you want, we'll just tail whip it and make sure it hits. As for your Needles, I'm sure that has some sort of start up lag or ending lag, I can't quite remember. So unless you can figure out a way to Needle > something else, I don't really see your Needles being much of a problem.

Ness can rack up damage just as quick as Sheik. Also, again, your f-tilt only works on Ness at 20% - about 50%. At least the last time I had tested it. I don't think that sort of info would ever change unless you somehow managed to find a new technique with that.

Here is something that we could do to you:
full Needle storm (21%)> Bair (which combo's into f-tilt)> f-tilt lock> grab> pummel (each pummel does three percent)> grab release> f-tilt (repeat 4 times)> f-tilt> USmash for a KO.
In that combo your only fighting is between the Needle's and the Bair.
Chances are you're not going to get a 0% death in.

How can you say this match up is even?
If we mess up on a grab release we can Fair you can more than likely get a gimp if we play like we aren't high.
I never said this match was even. I said either 55:45, Sheik or even. I never said this match was 50:50. And enough with the gimp. You're making a huge exaggeration. By the way, I want you to do something for me since I lack a working Wii at the moment. Someone came in here, I'm not sure if it was you or not and said that they've had Ness nair out of Sheik's f-tilt. With Sheik, f-tilt a human player offline that's using Ness and see if nair can cancel it. I'm not saying it'll ever happen, but someone said they were doing their lock on Ness before and got nair'd out of it. I also recall doing this before against a Sheik main. I want to see if Ness is able to do that.

saviorslegacy

Keep in mind that Ness will not always land below stage level. You're making it sound easier than it really is. Also, Ness can still air dodge when he's recovering. As for Sheik's chain, if Ness gets hit, he'll go back into regular falling animation and he'll be able to use his PKT2 again.

I thought you were talking about on the ground.

Your fair is also short ranged and not as powerful as it was in Melee. And your second jump can be stopped. At least I'm pretty sure it can. I've canceled my opponents' second jumps with the tail of PKT before. It doesn't happen often, but I'm sure that it can cancel second jumps. Unless something else happened all of those times. :confused:

Wario spaces better, but his fair doesn't have a disjointed hitbox. Ness' does and he can retreat his fair.

Nah, I don't really think that every character has a grab release on Ness. I know Sonic, Wario, I guess Sheik now, Pit, ZSS, possibly Wolf, I'm not sure yet, Bowser and Donkey Kong do have a grab release on Ness. I'm missing a few others, but not every character. Someone brought up Lucas having a grab release on Ness, I didn't believe it and sure enough he doesn't. So no, not everybody has a grab release on him.

Sheik won't stay on the ground throughout the whole match. You only have one projectile and once you're in the air, we can continuously use PKT to rack up damage. You can air dodge all you want, we'll just tail whip it and make sure it hits. As for your Needles, I'm sure that has some sort of start up lag or ending lag, I can't quite remember. So unless you can figure out a way to Needle > something else, I don't really see your Needles being much of a problem.

Ness can rack up damage just as quick as Sheik. Also, again, your f-tilt only works on Ness at 20% - about 50%. At least the last time I had tested it. I don't think that sort of info would ever change unless you somehow managed to find a new technique with that.

Chances are you're not going to get a 0% death in.

I never said this match was even. I said either 55:45, Sheik or even. I never said this match was 50:50. And enough with the gimp. You're making a huge exaggeration. By the way, I want you to do something for me since I lack a working Wii at the moment. Someone came in here, I'm not sure if it was you or not and said that they've had Ness nair out of Sheik's f-tilt. With Sheik, f-tilt a human player offline that's using Ness and see if nair can cancel it. I'm not saying it'll ever happen, but someone said they were doing their lock on Ness before and got nair'd out of it. I also recall doing this before against a Sheik main. I want to see if Ness is able to do that.
#1 Yep, and you'll keep on using PK 2 again and again and again.
We have to technically let you up at 300% don't we though?

#2 both
When I mentioned edge guarding that is what I meant.
When I mentioned ground fighting moves like f-tilt, ground is what I meant.

#3 Yes but our f-tilt is better and combo's into Fair.

#4 What does disjointed hit boes have you do with spacing. That deals with priority.

#5 data doesn't lie

#6 Bair= an airial move that I have mentioned often

#7 4-5 chances to be exact

#8 "or even"= 50 50
54 - 45 is still to close counting we have a possible 20ish damage+ to death combo on you.
What combo's do you plan on whipping out?

#9 I am unable to fulfill request. If I could I would be working on my crouching thread.
However, I did not say that and who ever did did not know what they are talking about.
You can ONLY escape the f-tilt lock when you are out of the range of f-tilt. You could Nair out of it, if the Sheik messed up that is.
Frame data tell us this.
So unless Ness takes less hit stun than everyone else, you are gonna eat the f-tilt.

ps I'm sorry if I seem short with you.
I don't mean too, but I will argue my point. No offense to you though.

Uffe

Smash Hero
The thing about combos, Saviorlegacy, this isn't 64 or Melee, there is no hitstun. In other words, if you try to combo with your fair or bair, the other player can DI/SDI, therefore your combo isn't exactly going to always go as planned. As for what combos we can dish out, it doesn't matter because you're bound to get hit one way or another. Ness doesn't need a combo to beat his opponents. As for me bringing up Ness' fair and spacing, it's basically a wall compared to most of your attacks. And when I said "or even", I didn't blatantly state that this match up was even. I technically said this or that.

saviorslegacy

hey check it out... my avy!
The thing about combos, Saviorlegacy, this isn't 64 or Melee, there is no hitstun. In other words, if you try to combo with your fair or bair, the other player can DI/SDI, therefore your combo isn't exactly going to always go as planned. As for what combos we can dish out, it doesn't matter because you're bound to get hit one way or another. Ness doesn't need a combo to beat his opponents. As for me bringing up Ness' fair and spacing, it's basically a wall compared to most of your attacks. And when I said "or even", I didn't blatantly state that this match up was even. I technically said this or that.
Sheik has more combo's than anyone else in SSBB.
Fair and Bair both combo into stuff like f-tilt which combo's into more stuff including GR.
F-tillt leads into MANY MANY things.
Fair can combo into Fair.
Bair can combo into Bair.
Weak Nair at high percents can combo into f-tilt.
F-tilt can into USmash for a KO.

We have tones and tons of combo's compared to everyone else.
If we had just a little more hit stun we would be broken.

I still say 60 - 40 despite having deadly combo's on Ness.

:EDIT:
*Looks at front page*
:mad088: :mad::mad::mad: ****** up ratios......

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
did u notice that Uffe said ness' fair is a wall to our attacks? it's true lol.

savior u need to play a good ness or learn how to play ness

it's harder to approach him than u think

saviorslegacy

did u notice that Uffe said ness' fair is a wall to our attacks? it's true lol.

savior u need to play a good ness or learn how to play ness

it's harder to approach him than u think
I have played a good Ness. He beat me, a lot.

Are you saying that his Fair will keep us from grabbing him?
I know Fair is a wall, and a tough one.
Needle's can go through it though, and so can chain.
On top of that. A well timed Vanish could help as well.
Then we can catch them, Needle's and get a grab.

There is no way Ness is going to get around that grab. He lacks range.
We could play gay and get him to come to us by using Needle's and then shield grab.
Walls onlt work when you are trying to get through them, we don't need to go through this one.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you are kinda forced to cuz ness can spam spaced fair on u

u are listing a bunch of solutions that wont necessarily work lol

of course u can shoot needles when he fairs, but if he spaces the fair right on u and disallows u to do anything but block or roll away, its not like u can hit him with needles

and ness is just gonna shoot pk fire if u pull the chain out

anyway

u have to think of matchups more than just certain situations but an overall fight.

cuz the certain situations are easy to talk about and easy to list down. it just comes down to the flow of the match IMO... or maybe thats just how i play

saviorslegacy

you are kinda forced to cuz ness can spam spaced fair on u

u are listing a bunch of solutions that wont necessarily work lol

of course u can shoot needles when he fairs, but if he spaces the fair right on u and disallows u to do anything but block or roll away, its not like u can hit him with needles

and ness is just gonna shoot pk fire if u pull the chain out

anyway

u have to think of matchups more than just certain situations but an overall fight.

cuz the certain situations are easy to talk about and easy to list down. it just comes down to the flow of the match IMO... or maybe thats just how i play
Why the heck would you pull out the chain when he is away.
Pull it out after you have performed a small pivot to make him fall short.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I have played a good Ness. He beat me, a lot.

Are you saying that his Fair will keep us from grabbing him?
I know Fair is a wall, and a tough one.
Needle's can go through it though, and so can chain.
On top of that. A well timed Vanish could help as well.
Then we can catch them, Needle's and get a grab.

There is no way Ness is going to get around that grab. He lacks range.
We could play gay and get him to come to us by using Needle's and then shield grab.
Walls onlt work when you are trying to get through them, we don't need to go through this one.
Fair won't always keep him from getting grabbed. But if he retreats it, it lowers the chances of getting grabbed. It's spacing. And doesn't the Needle Storm have some sort of ending lag? I can't imagine you can go Needle > grab, unless I'm thinking Melee Sheik and they changed that in Brawl. Anyway, like I said before, Sheik isn't always going to stay grounded. If you really want to do your fair or bair to set up a combo, you're going to have to get by his aerials first.

Top Bottom