• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's your Secondary?

Denti

Smash Master
I'll do whatever i want

and what type of person are you to say that? like what is a big font size really doing to you? hurting your eyes? or am i anoying you? either or i dont care, so if you have somthing to say dont ridicule me about it :psycho: makes me think you have an ego because your good at a game. lol, and if you think i'm a noob i really don't care, because i know i'm not and my skills as an olimar main are somthing

and just so you know, i know ganon sucks. I'm just being goofy. why ya gota be a buzz kill?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
First warning before I close this thread. Infractions have been given where they're deserved, but if this thread is only going to turn into a an argument about every petty thing, there's no reason for it to exist. If you want to talk about who is good as a secondary for Olimar and why, so be it, by all means do so. If you want to call people dumb for their explanations and reasonings, and get into pointless matchup arguments, and spam the thread, there's no reason for this to exist.

I'll start.

:D
I side DDD. For me, I feel Olimar's bad matchups are Marth, Luigi, Peach, MK, and I have a bit of a wolf problem, personally. Not as bad as I use to, but still lol. DDD goes Even with Peach and has an advantage on Marth, which works great for me. He doesn't do that well against MK but ***** Wolf and Luigi. Also, he does better in a few other matchups that I feel Olimar goes even in, such as Rob. I'm not saying those are necessarily Olimar's bad matchups, but Hilt's bad matchups, although the two could coexist. But yeah. I feel DDD covers Olimar great and is definitely one of his best secondaries, behind MK and Marth, of course. I definitely feel he's better of a secondary for us than GW, though, if only because of the Marth Matchup.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I'll go into detail for characters I use.

I main Olimar. I think his worst match-ups are Marth, Luigi, Meta Knight and Peach. I have fun with all my alternates, and I don't use anyone just for match-ups.

My first alternate is Luigi, but I don't use him much in tournaments; I use him for fun.. I have used him a few times, like against Diddy Kong. He doesn't really cover anything Olimar has trouble with. Luigi goes even with himself and Peach, and gets beaten pretty badly by Marth and Meta Knight.

Falco's one of my secondaries that I use in tournaments, if I'm not going all Olimar. He beats Luigi, and goes even with Meta Knight. He has a slight advantage over Luigi and Peach. I'm more comfortable with Falco than I am Marth.

Marth destroys Luigi and Peach, and has a slight disadvantage against Meta Knight. 'Nuff said.

Here's the summary:

Luigi: Marth
Marth: Marth
Meta Knight: Falco
Peach: Marth

Infinite Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I main Olimar, and I use G&W for friendlies!!! I also use Lucas, and Yoshi. I don't pick alternates for matchups. I choose them because I like them, and they are just awesome... I am thinking about picking up Snake. I forgot to mention he is for friendlies too, and is cool.... I like all my secondaries, and no one forget it!!!!

Also here is a cool song a friend of mine showed me.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1MiOtBupJc

Olimar: :olimar:
Lucas: :lucas:
Yoshi: :yoshi2:

And Maybe....
Snake:
:snake:

In melee I main Roy, and Shiek.........

PSIQuasi

Smash Cadet
I'd appreciate it if you stopped using stupid fonts and sizes.

Also, Quasi, are you serious...?
I only do Dorf in friendlies, and I also seem to have a sort of interest in Low Tiers (except Link, I can't seem to look past him, strangely), so i tend to mess around with them. the only reason I would note Ganondorf of all characters is because I have the most fun playing him out of everyone, and find it very, very satisfying to land that spike, whether it kills or not (especially if it kills). and I think Gerudo might have possibly burned its animation right into my brain, so it gives me the satisfaction of doing it.

(I did not intend this to be a speech, so pardon the wall of text)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
OU secondaries: Dedede, Kirby
UU secondaries: Ike, Jiggs

Hilt is so right about Dedede covering Oli. >>

DarkPikmin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zDecoy
Why is this thread?
:olimar: :toonlink:

Also I'm learning :diddy: :wolf: :007: :037:

Toon Link is for when I want to be epic, then fail at it.

Noa.

Smash Master
I only use Olimar in tourney. But in friendlies I play tons and tons of different characters.

:rob: :falco: :ness: :zelda: and recently :pt:

Johnny Citrus

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is my main, I do however use secondaries though I usually go olimar if I'm really trying to win no matter the matchup. I enjoy having to overcome matchups and outplaying opponents more so than I would have to if I was using an advantageous secondary. Also I don't think Olimar is a character that requires a secondary but obviously it helps for some players.

As for secondaries, I switch it up a lot :p

I mainly use DeDeDe and Snake. The mk matchup is tons more fun as Snake.
I use DeDeDe on wolf, and sometimes Luigi. I don't often use DeDeDe on Marth I enjoy that matchup as oli.

MK is also great for a weegee counter.

Pikachu I discovered is fun to use as well, he definitely doesn't cover matchups for oli as well as other characters, but he does make the Falco matchup much easier (even though that's a pretty even matchup for Oli >_>) and pikachu does better against MK than Olimar from what I've seen.

Noa.

Smash Master
I hate threads about secondaries. They stay active forever cause every few days some random person comes in and posts about their secondary. Then it keeps popping up under my subscriptions list and it annoys me. Especially since within the first few posts the topic is answered, and the question isn't even worth while of a whole thread. I wish threads like this got closed.

This is not aimed at anyone who's posted in this thread by the way. And I guess I'm kind off a hypocrite. >.>

Beefster

Smash Rookie
I second Ness. I haven't really picked up a third, but I've only recently gotten into the competitive smash scene. Thus the small amount of posts.

Fino

Smash Master
I hate threads about secondaries. They stay active forever cause every few days some random person comes in and posts about their secondary. Then it keeps popping up under my subscriptions list and it annoys me. Especially since within the first few posts the topic is answered, and the question isn't even worth while of a whole thread. I wish threads like this got closed.
This is not aimed at anyone who's posted in this thread by the way. And I guess I'm kind off a hypocrite. >.>
I second Ness. I haven't really picked up a third, but I've only recently gotten into the competitive smash scene. Thus the small amount of posts.

L

M

A

O

if the account wasn't made in september I would accuse someone of an alt account, but still... ahahahahahahahaha!

~Fino

Noa.

Smash Master

L

M

A

O

if the account wasn't made in september I would accuse someone of an alt account, but still... ahahahahahahahaha!

~Fino
And that'll keep happening for a while. Secondary threads that just ask who you use as a secondary are pretty straightforward and pointless imo. Now, a thread that compares Oli's matchups with other characters' matchups and that factors in how hard it is to pickup a secondary, that's a much more acceptable thread.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
And that'll keep happening for a while. Secondary threads that just ask who you use as a secondary are pretty straightforward and pointless imo. Now, a thread that compares Oli's matchups with other characters' matchups and that factors in how hard it is to pickup a secondary, that's a much more acceptable thread.
Maybe you or someone should get to work on said thread :p

Zori

Smash Champion
lol you guys shun olimar mains when they don't listen to your self-proclaimed amazing knowledge, you guys pretty much degrade anyone that's new and discourage anyone with new ideas because your just oh-so right all the time, a lot of you act like elitist with out even having anything to back it up.....

AND THEN

you wonder why its the same 5 people discussing in the all the threads over and over again

all i can do is laugh

Fino

Smash Master
lol you guys shun olimar mains when they don't listen to your self-proclaimed amazing knowledge, you guys pretty much degrade anyone that's new and discourage anyone with new ideas because your just oh-so right all the time, a lot of you act like elitist with out even having anything to back it up.....

AND THEN

you wonder why its the same 5 people discussing in the all the threads over and over again

all i can do is laugh
A lot of my ideas get discouraged/degraded... and I've been here almost since day 1. That's why I don't bother anymore (most days).
Tbh, I would rather be corrected on my ideas through debate, or at least have them expanded (see: pluck cancelling / other ATs and tricks)... but usually when I post something "out there" instead of intelligent arguments I get mindlessly trolled. Why bother?

~Fino

Llumys

Smash Champion
Pfft. I'll assume that comment was somewhat directed toward me.

I'm mean to people who post stupid threads before reading stickies or searching. Also, I'd like to point out what Fino said. Whenever I post ideas or thoughts, the same happens to me.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
and I've been here almost since day 1. That's why I don't bother anymore (most days).

~Fino
Ha! I joined Smashboards a day before you!
When I first came to oli boards, the only people who are still here are like...Me (barely), Zori (barely), skank (barely), Rich (barely), and Fino. Good job sticking through Fino!
Anyway, I don't it was your ideas were ever shot down. Personally, I just never liked the style you would present them. You used to be insanely argumentative (in a bad, ignorant way)...as of late, your ideas always seemed to fly fine.
Anyway, I was being all nostalgic...and OMG!!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160005&page=2
I remember when this was posted...but I didn;t remember Dan being the one to respond here! You used to type so silly lmfao!
This is so offtopic, moving my nostalgia to general.

On topic....I don't even know who my secondary is anymore. I don't play smash much anymore, and I never feel like I have a flat out secondary when I do play. :/

Fino

Smash Master
I remember when this was posted...but I didn;t remember Dan being the one to respond here! You used to type so silly lmfao!
Yeah, I totally remember dan being a huge cunt a long time ago......... things do change over time =D

I also used to type like a dumbass <.<'' I still do sometimes. fuck, I'm probably doing it right now

~Fino

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
mk as a secondary covers pretty much all bad matchups, the only problem being that most top players have a metaknight "plan" similar to that of a spacies "plan" in melee

for a more ambiguous secondary, dan's got the right ideas with the IC's

however, sticking to olimar seems to be the best option I have. All of Olimar's bad matchups are do-able. I don't think switching to another character is as smart as advancing the metagame for yourself.

MK wouldn't be considered the top character if people (M2k for example) hadn't started winning and advancing the metagame with him starting early on.

If as many smart players decided to do the same with Olimar or any other character, he'd most likely be in the same position (with tons of other variables to be taken into consideration).

Look at Japan, Fox as top tier? haha japan is brave

Llumys

Smash Champion
Japan plays with an honour system; they're bad. That's the only reason Fox is top tier.

I don't think Olimar has enough potential to ever be in that position.

Noa.

Smash Master
Japan doesn't play with honor. I've heard their Yoshis ledgecamp with eggs. And have you seen Masashi play? He's a pit player who only spams arrows and kill with dash attack at like 170. They practically endorse planking. lol They don't have any rules against it. At least, that's what Kel said when he went to Japan.

Top Bottom