• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards and memes

TheFifthMan

Smash Journeyman
A couple blocks away from Purdue University
Have you ever been Rickrolled? Or seen Leekspin? Or perhaps you have HAD it with these motha****ing snakes on this motha****ing plane. In any case, you've been privy to one of the most awesome parts of internet culture: the meme, a unit of cultural information.

Wikipedia said:
Meme-theorists contend that memes evolve by natural selection (similarly to Darwinian biological evolution) through the processes of variation, mutation, competition, and inheritance influencing an individual entity's reproductive success. So with memes, some ideas will propagate less successfully and become extinct, while others will survive, spread, and, for better or for worse, mutate.
It's also known that communities (*chan) have their own memes (don't even get me started). That said, what are some of Smashboards' memes? And what memes have wandered in from everywhere else? Are there any Smashboards memes that have wandered out into the rest of the internet? What is your favorite?

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
"A winrar is you" and "you win x internets" have made their ways here over from the chans.

I know there are others, but I remember these specifically.

TheFifthMan

Smash Journeyman
A couple blocks away from Purdue University
can someone please explain the mudkip thing?
The story behind the meme gets its lulz at the expense of a special education kid in a random high school.

I can't post the link here, it's isn't PG-13. If you want it search for it (or get it off 4chanarchive or ED) I can also PM it to you.

Oh, and what's the story behind "____ with your power?"

Sockpuppet

Smash Cadet
The story behind the meme gets its lulz at the expense of a special education kid in a random high school.

I can't post the link here, it's isn't PG-13. If you want it search for it (or get it off 4chanarchive or ED) I can also PM it to you.
I tried searching and couldn't find it, now I'm really confused...

Edit: Thanks FifthMan!

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
I can post an abridged PG version of the mudkip story here, but for the full copypasta (story), get it off somewhere else.

Anyway, here's the abridged version.

So it was Halloween at this one kid's school. The kid knew about another, special ed kid, who was obsessed with Pokemon. Knowing this, the guy brought in a Mudkip doll on the school's dress-up day (where the special ed kid dressed up as Ash), and asked the kid, "So I heard you like Mudkips?" The kid responded "I LOVE Mudkips!" Now the next part's PG-13, so I can't say it, but suffice it to say that the special ed kid misinterprets something the other guy says and does something hilariously stupid and, to most people, offensive.

A whole riot is caused, and the guy who originally asked the question ducks into the bathroom to avoid the commotion as a result of the whole thing. He comes out later to ask what happened, and finds out that eventually the Mudkip doll he gave the kid was lit on fire, and thrown into the library. The police were called, and the special ed kid's mother comes to the school irate.

The story ends with the guy who started everything saying "So, the question is...so I heard you like Mudkips?"

Then the question was changed to "so i herd u liek mudkipz?" and we're here today.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Send me the story too, I have no idea about the '___ with your power' meme. I can't imagine what it came from though.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer

I wasn't here for the bottle rocket one, but I've seen it. I demand informatin

Edit: Wow, that mudkip story was lame. I'm disappointed.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
The rocket booster one is from some really old thread. If I remember right, it was a lame thread here in the PRoom about "worst accidents" or something. In one of ye olde SWF AIM Chats, Crono asked for a really lame accident story to post, and I gave him that line. Then all uf us in the chat, and I guess some other people not in the chat, also posted it in the thread. I'm not sure, but I think that the thread actually just kept going after a few WTF comments. And, as you can see, the typo I made in that sentence resonates to this day.

Though I don't think that one's nearly as funny as when the SWF Chat crew all changed our avatars and signatures to match Yoshi-lord's and started defending pokemon everywhere.

As for Ask With Your Power, it's from some poorly (awesomely) translated fighting game. Matt can explain it.

Matt

Banned via Administration
TAKS

I'd say superimposing Kiki's face onto ridiculous bodies with some variation of "NO KIDDING!" would be a great meme if more had been done with it. Hint, hint.

Does me being anally ***** constantly in iSketch count as a meme?

For that matter, JoshCube? I guess I'm unclear on the meaning of "meme."

EDIT: "ASK FOR HER WITH YOUR POWER!" comes from the SNES game Art of Fighting. That game changed my life. These days, I'm sure to do everything with my power. Exercising. Shopping. Womanizing. It's just not done right unless its done in ridiculously violent excess.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Oh god, TAKS is great and everyone should use it.

TAKS stands for That Are Knee Slapper. You'd say it when someone makes a really stupid joke, or when you want to look stupid after someone makes a really good joke. It's another one that started on AIM. Me and Amorasaki were in a chat with some other people. One guy made an obviously trite joke, and then it was followed by a string of like five people saying lol. So Amo comes in with THAT ARE KNEESLAPPER GUYS and I laughed for like ten minutes, trust me, it was perfect. Then for like the next three days I would just burst out laughing whenever I thought of it.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I find myself wanting to say TAKS in real conversations, but I've managed to resist. I do say "no johns" and the great thing is, people always figure out what it means by the context. TAKS would take too much explaining, though. But yes, I'll always have a special place in my heart for TAKS.

So in Art of Fighting you're just some dude named Ryo looking for his kidnapped sister, and this douchebag Todoh gets in your way. You simply ask where you're sister's at, then he attacks you! And says the following:

After you give the crazy old man a hearty whoopin' using your special "Haoken" attack, he admits:

What an *******!

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
You can all STOP DISCUSSING MEMES NOW =O !!!!!!1111.

No. No I did not do that correctly. Because, quite frankly, it sucked hard when all the back room wannabes started using it like desu. It originated (if I'm not mistaken) from some Broomer's sig. Some other Broomers used it a few times and then people like Foxpower+ got a hold of it. Commence suckage.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Actually, I think Duke started it, and we copied it in a jest because he was claiming to have converted Eric. I think, I just remember it after it became big.

wwyp has Eorlingash, though that means nothing as none of the people who haven't turned in stories have been banned yet.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, it was something like CRIMSON KING IS A CHRISTIAN NOW:O!!!11!!11!!ectectoneonefive

Does *Doesmannerism* count? No? Okay then...

tac0

Smash Journeyman
Some memes on the boards are the use of pheonix wright, the pokemon theme song version of "WHEN I WAS...." and quotes from starfox 64.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Some memes on the boards are the use of pheonix wright, the pokemon theme song version of "WHEN I WAS...." and quotes from starfox 64.
So basically all of these originated from the chans.

PW was originally on the chans as "OBJECTION!"
Then you have "WHEN I WAS" attributed to Pokemon
And if you're telling me that "Do a barrel roll!" didn't start on the chans...then wow.

Top Bottom