• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards and memes

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You know, most of those weren't originated from any 'chan' they were just obvious and awesome.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Their popularity was caused largely by the chans, however, which is what I meant when I said they "originated" there. Yes, people recognized, say, the "OBJECTION!" one, but when it was brought to the attention of the chans, it exploded everywhere.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Translation: the chans saw something cool and went nuts with it

tac0

Smash Journeyman
^^^^
Exactly, but it also gayed it up, now I can't say "do a barrel roll!" without being called a new*** :(
Oh and also another meme that came from /b/is whenever someone says "in b4 ..." or "in after..."

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I find myself saying Slippy quotes way more than "Do a barrel roll!" A good portion of what Slippy says in 64 is a big pile of wtf.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Yo I haven't been on The chans for 6 months, did that HEARTLAND thing ever catch?
Because I started that

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Yo I haven't been on The chans for 6 months, did that HEARTLAND thing ever catch?
Because I started that
I think for a while after the great Caturday nap "4chan" was filtered to "THEHOMELAND". That's the closest thing I know to what you're saying.

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
YOU MUST RECOVER! I mean seriously I think we can call this a smash boards meme... and FALCON PAWNCH, and well... I can't remember now

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
"How to turn on your TV/Wii" seems to be a SWF meme. It's the one most people use when coming up with a lame update idea.

"Tires don exits" of course.

"Falcooooon PAAAAAAOOONCH!" needs no explanation.

"<Stupid character> for Brawl" Everyone seems to make threads like that. Well, the n00bs anyways.

"c-c-c-combo breaker" Not sure why, though. Anyone care to explain the proper use of this meme?

"You must recover!" Also needs no explanation.

And, of course, that picture with Snake '******' Ike. That's apparently the cancer that's killing SWF.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
"c-c-c-combo breaker" Not sure why, though. Anyone care to explain the proper use of this meme?
I'm pretty sure combo breaker is used when a lot of people seem to be posting similar things, then you post something drastically different, or simply post to make it so that there is not a continuous string of similar posts. As far as I know, it's not really smash-related.

tac0

Smash Journeyman
It's taken from killer instinct if I'm not mistaken, and yes, it's whenever there are multiple posts saying one thing, then someone just saying something different.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
CRIMSON KING IS A CHRISTIAN NOW :O!!!!!!1111

^That's exactly what it was.^

Also, I started the "Bahamut has hairy palms" thing. Which has out lasted his whole hat thing. We still have yet to see his palms but he had to take off his hat for his wedding, I'm sure he would if he could.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
C-c-c-combo breaker is another chan meme.

Basically, people would post "combos," or strings of posts that, because of the layout of the website, seem to create one larger image or set out of several smaller ones, or make posts that create a certain sequence of text.

People would post "C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!" in order to screw up these strings, so that the larger image or sequence doesn't turn out right. In response, some people predict combo breakers and modify images accordingly, making it seem like the breaker was intended all along.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I know another meme... What is up with everyone posting with "10chars" and all sorts of variations?
Umm.. those are for making so that your post can be input because the boards has a limit on how short your posts can be (I think 10 characters, hence the 10char)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Did somebody say combo breaker?
/plug

I'm pretty sure "no johns" originated in Texas, courtesy of the Crystal City crew. Apparently the group had a friend named John who made lots of excuses, so they called them johns.

Knees are quite definitely a meme.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
one time at space camp a rocket booster hit me in the head and a blacked out for three days

Top Bottom