• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP7: The Stuff of Legends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Write a story in which another story is central to the plot or characters.

Thank you, Wobbles, for a wonderful prompt. So, now that you all have read the good news, here is some more good news:

WWYP7 begins now

Due date: Black Sunday, 11:59, 2/10/08
Word limit: 6000
Judges: Virgilijus, Scav, Cort
Prizes:
1st - Writers group access, custom title, custom avatar, Broom access
2nd - Writers group access, custom title
3rd - Writers group access

You read that right. First place now gets Broom access. No decision yet on if this is a permanent addition, but I thought it'd be a fun thing to add for this round.

And yep, you read that right. Scav is judging again. That's the "bad news." But, Virg is under strict orders to do some... unpleasant things to me if I miss the deadline. So either way, everybody wins!

-----
THE PROMPT

Write a story that involves another story. This can be a legend, a myth, a tale as old as time passed down from generation to generation. Or, it could be a piece of gossip that leads to murder amongst sexy college co-eds. It can be a prophesy, a history, a tragedy, or a lie.

Stripped to its bone, this prompt lies at the heart of every story. Each and every one of your characters should have a story behind them that guides their action. Why did they get up the morning before they heard about the Maltese Falcon? This is your chance to truly dig into your characters' past.

I'd tell you to read up on Motive Backstory, but apparently no material exists about it. Motive Backstory uses a dual plotline to reveal two stories at once. There's the "top level" plot (A man is arguing with his divorced wife over taking his son to a baseball game during school) and a slowly revealed "sub level" plot (The man's own father was killed in a tragic 7th Inning Stretch incident). This is hard to pull off. You must keep both plotlines going simultaneously, switching between the two, and end up tying them together at the end.

As always, there are infinitely many ways to tackle this. Maybe you'd rather write about a traveling vagabond about to have his hand cut off for stealing, who was once, unbeknownst to the captors, a legendary warrior. Why isn't he fighting back? (Hmm, sounds a bit like a certain Bluezaft's story, now that I think about it.)

What the judges are looking for: two distinct stories, intertwined. How you intertwine them is up to you.

---

JUDGING SYSTEM

The grand debut of Scurvy.

In effect, there is only one change. And it's a doozy.

No more public numeric scores.

1) Judges will provide a critique of every story.
2) Each judge will select 5 favorites, and rank them according to the following:
* Adherence to Prompt
* Style
* Mechanics
* Enjoyment

The head judge (Virgilijus) will tally the scores. The top 3 will be ranked, followed by the remaining honorable mentions (likely between 2 and 4, determined by who each judge's 5 favorites are.)

There are more details to come. For now, I'll let Virgilijus add his thoughts, and we'll answer any questions. Expect more detailed writeups of what judges are looking for in the coming days.

Good luck! (And everyone congratulate Virg on his modship!)

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I really like the prompt this time: Wobbles picked a good one.

Also, I'd like to point out I'm offering a free custom avatar for the winner: hand painted or inked. You don't have to take it, but the offer stands! Hopefully that's incentive for some of you guys.

Right now it's a little too early in the morning to post what I'm looking for in the stories, so I'll just edit it in later.

Good Luck everyone! And if Scav doesn't get his scores in on time...:)

First post as a Mod and SWF makes me double post :urg:

Blackadder

Smash Master
Write a story in which another story is central to the plot or characters.
Awesome prompt. So much freedom! Squee!
I'm going to enter this one. And I god**** mean it! :)

Also, that BRoomer access thing is an interesting lure to make people push harder for winning...but I actually would rather like to have a free avatar from Virg. That's awesome.

First post as a Mod and SWF makes me double post :urg:
That made my day. XD
But uh...congrats on your modship! Hope you do a good job.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Virj, are you only modding the WWYP room? The staff link on the top of the page dissapeared. =/

I'd love to enter this one, but like every other WWYP, I generally can't find the time. I'll see what I can do with this one, though.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Virj, are you only modding the WWYP room? The staff link on the top of the page dissapeared. =/
I believe I am only modding the WWYP room...Scav?

And you better enter! Write a story about sail boats or somehting of the like ;)

Matt's entering!? Ah, this may be th ebest WWYP yet!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Yup, just the WWYP room. Thank you (and everyone, Tom, Jam, and others) for all of your hard work in keeping WWYP alive.

You know what I would like to see? Matt and Evil Eye collaborate on a joint story. Since the prompt requires dual plot lines, they can decide on a premise in advance, and one writes the story from one perspective, the other from the other. I hope it involves a grizzled noir detective who loves poetry and death cab for cutie.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Congratulations, Stretch.

Regarding the prompt: Do we need to use a real legend/myth/etc or can we create our own legend to use? I just want to be clear on the rules before I enter.
It doesn't have to be a myth or a legend. It can be any story in a story, which would mean you can create your own. Not everything has to be about legends, raul. :D

I will definitely be entering this.
This will be our tiebreaker, friend. Don't let me down!

Matt

Banned via Administration
Yup, just the WWYP room. Thank you (and everyone, Tom, Jam, and others) for all of your hard work in keeping WWYP alive.

You know what I would like to see? Matt and Evil Eye collaborate on a joint story. Since the prompt requires dual plot lines, they can decide on a premise in advance, and one writes the story from one perspective, the other from the other. I hope it involves a grizzled noir detective who loves poetry and death cab for cutie.
I lol'd.

But it would be so much better if we could make it a three-way collaboration with you so that we can add another dimension to our fruity detective: It turns out he's not too smitten with his significant other and frequently engages in some socially frowned upon sexual indulgence. Probably strippers or buttsex with men in drag or the like.

=P

EDIT: On a related note (semi-dual narrative), I recently read Breakfast at Tiffany's and watched the movie. The novella is good (not great, but valuable enough with its commentary on particular American ideals), but the movie just SUCKED. They turned it into this sappy cliché romance with a (literally) kiss-in-the-rain ending!

Also, if Capote (zomg greatness?) can blatantly insert himself into his fictional roles, then I suppose it's okay if little ole we all do the same. Yes, Scav, we know all about your sexual deviancies!

But for serious, have you been writing at all lately? Share something! IOU one rave.

Cort

Apple Head
Dear Virgy,

After -actually- reading the first post, I wouldn't mind judging if you still need another.

Sincerely,
Cortles

Also, I don't think I could possibly find time to enter this WWYP. The prompt looks a little challenging... hehe.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'll see if I can enter this one. There'll be some rather stressful things filling up my time for the next days...
Also, I'm going to try to apply to a university class on creative writing, which I'll need a 20-page portfolio for... and I don't really have anything yet.
I'll see if I'll rather put my time into writing specifically for the portfolio, or if I can use this contest for practice... Actually, the latter might be advisable. Experience and criticism can't be bad.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I'm glad I got to pick the prompt and write in it.

Unfortunately, I have no story yet. But it will still be fun. Best of luck to everyone.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Oh look it's a new contest already.

The prompt isn't really a prompt. Like it isn't something that will give you an idea that you can go off on. It's just "write a story...with this particular story device thing in it." It doesn't, you know, prompt you.

And it's due in 13 days! So let's say I can scrounge something up in a week that fits the prompt/restriction whatever (generous!). Then I spend all of my free time the following week writing and re-writing the story. Oh wait, I have a test and a paper that week. Things are looking grim. But I guess that's the luck of the draw?

:(

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
From what I've seen, the other prompts haven't been "prompts" as you define them. Write a story in which a mental illness is prominent, write about a character who never appears... they don't give you premises per se. Did you immediately start thinking of your story once you heard "mental illness?"

We're all busy, but maybe this will encourage folks not to try and cram the story. Do a little bit in your free time here and there and it'll add up before you know it.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Okay, let's look at the prompts of the 2 contests I've entered: pointing a gun at someone and the mental illness. For the gun, you imagine a scene where one character is aiming at another. How did they get there? What else is going on in that scene? Or for the mental disorder, you go through a list of illnesses and think how that would affect the character or surrounding characters and get a story from that. Those give you specific, concrete things to think about.

And compare it to this prompt. "Intertwine 2 stories" is a totally abstract idea. There is nothing to go on. You can't build on anything there, all you can do is pull a bunch of stories out of thin air and hope there's a way you can apply one of them to the "2 story" rule. You see how it goes in an opposite direction than the other prompts? A prompt gives you a place to start, and this is more like a mechanic you apply to your story AFTER coming up with it.

Which is fine by me. I honestly really couldn't care less if a story idea is harder than normal to think up. But NOT when combined with a drastically shortened deadline. I COULD try writing the story this week when I'm not busy and coming up with an idea for the story next week when I am busy. That should work.

But really I'm not even going to attempt to enter unless lightning happens to strike in the next day or two, and I'll just hope my schedule has better luck next contest.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I agree that the prompt is pretty iffy. All I ask is that judges take that into consideration when judging the various entries.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Every one has to write concerning the same prompt and every one will be ranked against each other fairly. No one has an unfair advantage when it comes to this and the judges are as unbiased when they judge as they can be. Don't worry Jam; it'll be fair. Just try to adhere to the prompt as well as you can :)

Matt

Banned via Administration
One week later, I'm only about 1/5 done. Hmm. If I do get this done on time, it's gonna be super sloppy (double dare).

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
God I'm so effing busy. On top of this I have to do a poster for a graphic design scholarship contest, work on my animation portfolio, and write a stupid practice paper for my senior research project. And probably about a million other things I'm forgetting. In other words, it's gonna be another halfassed entry from me.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I decided to post 1/3 of my story.
The internet really is my largest distraction. So I turned it off and wow, I managed to pen 900 words in one sitting. Wobbles advice is definitely one to adhere to.

I'm taking a year's break before going to university to work as a System Administrator at my old high school, so I don't have an excuse not to enter as my work doesn't follow me home (At least not yet). Although it will soon because its a traineeship that I'll have to complete work for in my own time.

If I don't finish my story on time, I give the judges permission to beat me with a stick.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I've been working on this prompt just to have something to do, but i've hit a creative wall. Dunno if I'll make the deadline. If I'm late would anyone be willing to critique me for the sake of improvement? I'm going to be more active in the CM as my schedule is finally more conducive to writing again.

This is my first WWYP >_<

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't know why the hell I was thinking the deadline was today. Now I'll be able to actually finish my story.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
my post was doomed as the last of the page. Essentially I will not make the deadline, but was interested in someone critiquing my piece just for the sake of development. If anyone would be kind enough to help out an aspiring writer I would be most grateful.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
my post was doomed as the last of the page. Essentially I will not make the deadline, but was interested in someone critiquing my piece just for the sake of development. If anyone would be kind enough to help out an aspiring writer I would be most grateful.
Send it over and I'll help you out.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
So how is everyone's progress coming along? Everyone waiting for the weekend, I take it? ;)
Praying for deadline extension. And if I were going to submit it to my class on time, it would also be done by now. Then again it would also be started by now, so...

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I may be in that boat, too.

Yesterday was a snow day! I actually spent the bulk of it writing. I'll get this thing done on time yet. =D
Find your own way to thwart the will of the judges! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom