• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tired of the camping in Brawl? A way to deal with it.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I see so many thread around here about camping. And its pissing alot of people off. To a point its killing the fun of the game. I dont like it. I'm Peach.....yea, you know Peach players cant stand it nor this much we can do about it. This game is turnip out to be a war game more than a fighting one. But here I have a method of dealing with campers. First a look at Why camping affects us and people lose to it.

- Gets people annoyed. Spam and run. And if your character is slow..your gonna have a hard time landing a good hit.

- It gets on peoples nerves that people just rush. All they care about is hitting the camper. While not even thinking clearly on how to go about it. And you just get hit by everything. And you get more pissed or, and it gets worst.

- Campers know it annoys people. And thats what some want to do. Cause they wanna win. You really think they care you get pissed off. They will do what they have to to win. Tournament they most. they wont care.

- They wanna rack up damage from a distance to play it safe. cause they may not wanna get close to you. You may just **** them in thier faces (not always the case)

The biggest strong point camping has is that it pisses people off. You dont play right when pissed off. Your blind to some things in matches. Well here is the lil method I made for dealing with it. And it has hepled me. So maybe it can help others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You just cant let the camping get to you. believe me, that what you will see in brawl. Camping. Our character get it the worst against campy players. So know this I really dont care for losing to one. Cause my character has a hard time with it.

But one way to beat a campy is to piss them off in a fight. I fight a few campers in brawl. So what I did? I let nothing touch m and just played the wierdest mindgames. Camping did not get them very far at all. And I beat them. A campers weakness is getting inside him. Since they depend on that alot, you get inside, just **** them. And if they know how to fight, you just go at it with them and beat thier azzes.

Trust me, I am Peach, I get and see this camping crap all the time. times I lose nerves to even deal with it so I get owned. But when I am on point, I know what to do to get at one, I've beating campy foxes and Falcos in melee. same with Both links.

Toy with thier heads. The great Mike G himself (for thoses that dont know, one of the best Peach players in melee, he dont play much anymore) Told me how to beat one. And it works with Peach.

Inside a camper that is a pattern. Look closely, it may even be obvious. And abuse it when you get inside. But first fight out how to get inside with out getting hit. toy with the guy. Dance around all that is comming at you. Till you can hardly get touched. Then once you cleared mission one, go for mission 2. Dance around the stuff comming at you and get inside. Once you do watch how he reacts. DONT ATTACK. Look at him while being ready to move out the way and all. Also expect him to switch up his reaction.

Once you got that down you around know what to expect. Now mission 3. You find a way to punish him. Mix up mission 1 and 2. Expect anything, him to roll, grab you, or attack you once you get close. Or he may just run away and spam again. Most common from campers. And once you got that down DONT lose your cool no matter what and just **** them up. Repeat mission 1,2, and three till you win. dont matter how long the match last. Go on till you win.

Hope this helps :)

Ampleforth

Smash Cadet
A good player that camps isn't going to be that predictable either and can toy with you just as easily (probably more easily) than you can with him/her. And my biggest issue with camping is just that it makes the game not fun. Even winning against campers is boring as hell.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I never said it was gonna be easy. And Yes a good player will make this ever harder. But there is always something you can do. And your job in that Match is to figure what what that is. And campers do have ways to get away from you. You have to figure things out.

And yea it does make the game boring. But what can you do. Let people play as they want. Nothing cant be done but going FTW

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
As I said in some other thread.

If you got past Falco's SHL in melee, you shouldn't feel as annoyed.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
As I said in some other thread.

If you got past Falco's SHL in melee, you shouldn't feel as annoyed.
Basiclly. The common problem is people getting annoyed. Thats why people really cant handle camping.I ts not an unbeatable tactic. It can be beating.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Here's why people camp: In every fighting or strategy game ever, camping is the easiest strategy to learn initially. Unless the game sucks in such a way that all you need to do is mash A and walk forward and your opponent can't do anything against it.

How to beat it: Learn how to approach well. If you need help in that, play against a character that's hard to camp against with someone that has no reflector and a mediocre projectile game at best. Is it better to let your % "magically" reach over 150 then run into a truck, or learn to approach all along, and not let that happen to you?

Boon :o

Smash Journeyman
In tourneys there's tons of campers, but after the first few rounds they're pretty much gone.
And especially if I ever play Ike and im going against a Pit in a tourney -_-, so much to the point where I refrain from using Ike in R1 of tourneys.
Thanks for the tips on how to deal with campers, I'll try and see how my Ike is against campers now :D

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Brawl rewards camping to an extent that makes it the most viable option for victory. If you want to lose a match, attack more than you shield. Eventually, everyone will realize that, and camping will be the norm.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Brawl rewards camping to an extent that makes it the most viable option for victory. If you want to lose a match, attack more than you shield. Eventually, everyone will realize that, and camping will be the norm.
I was just thinking about this. I was fooling around with Toon Link today, and found out how much all of his projectiles reward you, even if they don't hit, by exposing your opponent to your much more powerful sword. A lot of characters are like this, with highly versatile projectiles that control your opponent's actions, and punish poor positioning.

However, there are still other characters that have the ability to manage campers, like Marth and Luigi. It's all about knowing how to get past the spam.

Eten

Smash Ace
Yeah camping isn't going to dominate. Really. I like what ph00tbag said, characters can manage campers, like marth and luigi.

It's all about knowing how to get past the spam. Like, heck, luigi can repeat tornado and clang with projectiles to approach an opponent, and that takes little more than repeated use of a down-B move. All you gotta do is know how to get past the spam.

Vice Lord

Smash Apprentice
Scarborough, Ontario (Scarberian barbarians)
i played a match online today against my first true hardcore camper/projectile spammer (a falco), his movements were pretty much this. roll-roll-roll-roll(to side of stage) laser-laser-laser-laser-laser-laser x 30,(when near) Fsmash-Fsmash-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-Fsmash-Fsmash... well you get the picture. He wasn't that good so i was able to beat him with my marth most times, but i had to work hard and i got down to my last stock, and infact lost a few times too (unless we played on battlefield or luigi's mansion) to this simple and very predictable strategy. Another problem i feel is rolls are too good, i knew when he was going to roll but i couldn't manage to punish it at all most times because there isn't much of a gap between roll invulnerability (slight lag didn't help either) So i understand peoples frustration now.

So yeah, back on topic i agree with you dark.pch, keeping your cool and trying to predict your opponent does help alot, but you are still at a disadvantage, even if just a slight one. Jam Stunna, i really hope it doesnt become the norm, i'm hoping for some crazy new method of approaching to be discovered (like running with a shield on =D.) Crazy dreams of mine =/

Finch

Smash Lord
Everyone who hates camping should just stop playing a game whose mechanics support it over any other strategy.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Apparently camping IS beatable but it is VERY DIFFICULT to get through making it almost literally pointless to even try getting through their defense. It's like trying to defeat your opponent (armed with a gun) with a knife.

Ugh I say we just ban camping or something =/

I know camping is a legit strategy in pretty much any fighting game but if it's getting THIS annoying then it would be a better idea to ban camping.

nitnit

Smash Cadet
So what you're saying is we should try to adapt to the enemy's strategy. Oh wait, that's what you should do against all players, so how is your point any different?

Gerbil

Smash Champion
The merest MENTION of Mike G makes this thread completely awesome. ;) Mike G didn't take that camping crap at Final Round, and he won't take it anywhere else lol.

Much <3 to Mike.

Great thread Dark, I'm glad there are more of us taking the initiative to explain in detail on how to get around things.

KillaOR

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
Kila#697
This isn't going to heolp us against pro campers.
well if you need ADVICE on how to be a pro chances are the "pro campers" you are talking about you wont encounter for it to matter in the first place and if you do it wasn't like you were going to win in the first place.

I think your tips were great peach :)

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
So what you're saying is we should try to adapt to the enemy's strategy. Oh wait, that's what you should do against all players, so how is your point any different?
Dont get freaking pissed off with a camper or you get owned worst then just fighting someone who was not camping and get pissed. Seriously, think. Camping is really a pain but not unbeatable. and this is a method on how to tell with it since it seems to be a really big problem in brawl.

well if you need ADVICE on how to be a pro chances are the "pro campers" you are talking about you wont encounter for it to matter in the first place and if you do it wasn't like you were going to win in the first place.

I think your tips were great peach :)
Thanks. Next time we meet at a smashfest or something, we'll get some games in.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
camping is starting to make me hate brawl because it seems so much easier than in melee. It really takes no skill to camp, but is very hard to play against. I know that, when we play FFAs I can normally count on at least one of my opponents to camp, and another one to be just dumb enough to get in my way so that I can never catch the camper.

Legend Blade

Smash Cadet
I " psuedo-camp " with Lucario. I hit the with long distance attacks when they are not near, but I'll play short range when they get close.

Kel

Smash Master
Camping is just annoying.
In melee, when someone camped, you would just be like "awww, isn't that cute. He's CAMPING!" and then mindgame them with speed in order to hit them. In Melee you could beat camping just by being good.
In Brawl the speed is very reduced so you can't get inside as easy. This means that the game is dulled down and boring.
You could play 2-3 space animal matches in melee for the time it takes to do ONE camping match in Brawl. (even with 4 stock melee and 3 stock Brawl)

At the last big Midwest event only, maybe, 10% watched the finals and the semi-finals because it was boring. And that's why I think people are hating Brawl. Not because of how it feels, or plays. It's because the game is so freakin' boring now that no one is interested. Melee finals were amazing (whenever there wasn't a split) but Brawl finals are boring to watch.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
theres a difference between smart projectile useage and straight up spamming.camping. doing the first one makes u better

DwaynBibad

Smash Cadet
I like this thread so

Best Anti-camping Strategy?

Turn on Smashballs. Problem solved.

Or Team Brawl Matches should replace the boring one-on-one campfests.
Is there such a thing as team camping? I doubt it.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I have a feeling that turning on smash balls might make the problem worse. Why bother approaching your opponent when you can wait for the magic ball that gives you free KOs?

Eten

Smash Ace
I agree, Smash balls would likely just make it worse. Especially since certain characters with projectiles and can camp can also break open that smash ball from afar. Someone like Falco, for example, would not only try to stall for ridiculous amounts of time with SHL camping, he'd also laser the smashball open on you, then go as far as potentially take two stocks from you in a single final smash.

It would only make the problem worse.

However, I have to agree with the last part:
TEAM MATCHES ARE ABOUT IN EVERY WAY MORE BALANCED IN GAME MECHANICS THAN 1v1
Infinites, Chain Grabs, Stalling, Excessive Camping all become much, much less of an issue in teams.

uremog

Smash Ace
by avoiding everything but not approaching, you'll only beat impatient campers. you're really not forcing the camper to approach you.

nitnit

Smash Cadet
Dont get freaking pissed off with a camper or you get owned worst then just fighting someone who was not camping and get pissed. Seriously, think. Camping is really a pain but not unbeatable. and this is a method on how to tell with it since it seems to be a really big problem in brawl.
You didn't answer my original statement at all... I was saying that the advice you give is common sense against any enemy not just a camper. You say to keep your cool, think like they do, and outstrategize them. I'd imagine you should do that against everyone, not just campers, and it's practically common sense.

A technique to beat "campers" would be a technique that allows you to get close to them and beat them on equal terms, not "use mindgames!!!"

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys tried the PAL version yet? There could be some differences in Brawl like there was in Melee (such as a nerfed Ganondorf and Sheik)
lol, PAL version doesnt even have a release date
if you meant that as a rethorical question, you want everyone to wait about 2-6 months for the PAL version before dealing with this problem?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You didn't answer my original statement at all... I was saying that the advice you give is common sense against any enemy not just a camper. You say to keep your cool, think like they do, and outstrategize them. I'd imagine you should do that against everyone, not just campers, and it's practically common sense.

A technique to beat "campers" would be a technique that allows you to get close to them and beat them on equal terms, not "use mindgames!!!"
-____- '

I explained a method to deal with a camper on the first page. Its not ONLY mindgames. Look, if it does not help you then just let it go.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I play Pit and this is what I do to solve the problem. If my opponent starts to camp, then I'm like, "Two can play that game" and I start spamming arrows. And with a reflector shield and spamming arrows, its pretty nice. Granted, it is not the way I like to play, but if they camp, I'll camp. If they go aggressive, I'll go aggressive. Sorry for all those characters that don't have projectiles.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
Maybe franklin badge can be turned on. xD

It's like one of those uber deadly items now is it? Well of course, if it came with a capsule....

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
Maybe...
Characters who can crawl can crawl approach the camper.
OR
You just over their projectiles to approach them. Most projectiles campers use can't go up.

DwaynBibad

Smash Cadet
You guys gotta let go of this "Smash Balls is automatic KO" stuff.
I'll be honest in saying I don't like Smashballs because of the randomness, but the fact is that it simply awards people that take risks.
Campers aren't good at taking risks, that's why they camp.
The randomness is what makes it work, as a camping Falco is not guaranteed to get a Smash Ball even if they spam lasers at it. Even if they do get it, they can still have it knocked out of them, and if he does get off his Landmaster, it's very dangerous but not an Auto KO. Finally if the player did let all that stuff go through and lost 2 stocks, said person was simply outplayed, and would have lost regardless of camping.

The truth is that a lot of characters just auto-lose to campers in Brawl. Getting inside is not the problem, outthinking the opponent is not the problem. The problem is that once inside most of the cast members don't have the speed or combo ability to keep the pressure on the camper. The purpose of Smashballs is NOT to autoKO anybody, it's simply to get the players to stop camping, and don't say that Smashballs can be camped because they are too random to be camped. Waiting all day for the Smashball will not guarantee that you'll get it, or that you will even win with it.

You could argue that a Smash Ball centered metagame isn't much better than a camping centered metagame, but don't tell me it can be any worse. Right now our metagame is comprised of tossing bananas and arrows at each other for 6 and 1/2 minutes. Is this really the kind of high level play you want in your favorite fighting game?

All that said, I would definitely prefer's Brawl 2vs2 style no items battles overall. I'm betting there will be a lot of frustrated players that are sick of the current dull 1v1 metagame, but still want to play competitively that are willing to team up and enjoy the game once again.
Let's make it happen :).

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I'll be honest in saying I don't like Smashballs because of the randomness, but the fact is that it simply awards people that take risks.
The randomness is what makes it work, as a camping Falco is not guaranteed to get a Smash Ball even if they spam lasers at it. Even if they do get it, they can still have it knocked out of them, and if he does get off his Landmaster, it's very dangerous but not an Auto KO. Finally if the player did let all that stuff go through and lost 2 stocks, said person was simply outplayed, and would have lost regardless of camping.

The truth is that a lot of characters just auto-lose to campers in Brawl. Getting inside is not the problem, outthinking the opponent is not the problem. The problem is that once inside most of the cast members don't have the speed or combo ability to keep the pressure on the camper. The purpose of Smashballs is NOT to autoKO anybody, it's simply to get the players to stop camping, and don't say that Smashballs can be camped because they are too random to be camped. Waiting all day for the Smashball will not guarantee that you'll get it, or that you will even win with it.

You could argue that a Smash Ball centered metagame isn't much better than a camping centered metagame, but don't tell me it can be any worse. Right now our metagame is comprised of tossing bananas and arrows at each other for 6 and 1/2 minutes. Is this really the kind of high level play you want in your favorite fighting game?

All that said, I would definitely prefer's Brawl 2vs2 style no items battles overall. I'm betting there will be a lot of frustrated players that are sick of the current dull 1v1 metagame, but still want to play competitively that are willing to team up and enjoy the game once again.
Marry me. I share your thoughts quite well.
I think Brawl will probably exist more as a team battle game because 1v1 is extremely dull.
Camping is too effective a strategy and unless you have speed and combo ability it will be tough to get at a camper. in a 2v2 you can ahve a partner who makes up your weaknesses.
i.e. Sonic and Ike make a good team sicne Sonic's speed means he can constantly pester the opponent while Ike mves in for the kill.
Camping would be difficult since Sonic has massive priority during a spin dash and can approach his opponents relatively easy and make it easy for Ike to approach as well.

I would prefer a smash ball centered metagame since with the current game thats bee going on, I really hate having to play 6 and 1/2 minutes with a camping wolf.

Eten

Smash Ace

That's not true. Nabbing the smashball is easier to do by camping with projectiles than it is to go for it. Trying to physically go and hit the smash ball puts yourself at risk. If I'm camping as someone like zelda vs. bowser, the bowser will never get a chance as he goes to jump for it, I detonate a Din's Fire. I either nab it, or knock it away and can follow up with just another Din's Fire. You might say then that bowser should interrupt me first- but I'm camping, remember? If he's approaching me we're right back to square one.

Not to mention, literally the landmaster's, especially Falco's, can quite possibly get two KOs in one final smash. Get someone above the landmaster and move horizontally with their attempts to get off it while you hover off the stage. Since people start "above" on the return platform, after getting one KO from the landmaster in any way, having the ability to take out a second stock drastically supports a mindset of "run away and camp until the smashball comes around". Camping at a distance with a projectile is THE safest and most reliable way to get a smashball, and smashballs dominate stock, why would anyone do anything else?

Lastly, you say "most of the cast doesn't have the speed or the combo ability to keep pressure on the camper" and that they auto-lose. That's just wrong. Every character can deal with campers. Maybe there isn't the combos, but the ability to pressure is certainly there.

Top Bottom