• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP RT - In Remembrance (Finished, Results Soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Attention contestants: The stories involved in this contest are A Perfect Shave, Into the Darkness, Tournament, Tagged, and Jorge. Please judge those. Do not judge Dexter Morgan's Immortality Never Meant Dying, it was plagiarized.

In Remembrance- Write a story in which a character does something to achieve immortality.

---

Hello everyone, and welcome to the next Write With Your Power contest. This contest is going to be a break from what we've had going so far, in that we are going to use Jam Stunna's idea of the Round Table system. Basically, we all write a piece and we all read and critique everyone else's' finished work, no exceptions. This system was recommended when we opted to use Scav and Virgilijus' "Scurvy" system, though their system didn't work very well (because judges have to judge...). So we're going to try our hand at this system.

We want everyone to benefit as much as possible from the contest experience, and with that in mind, we are going to take a step away from contest and towards collaboration. The greater goal is to become a better writer, and we believe that should be kept in mind.

Step one, obviously, will be for you to write and submit your piece. Just make a topic in this WWYP forum called "[WWYP RT] Title" and include your story. Thats it! No signing up necessary. You can receive comments and critiques on your story, and you can edit your story as much as you want.

Step two starts after the deadline hits. Every topic will be closed by our favorite Virgilijus, and everyone will receive a PM reminding them of their obligation to read and critique everyone else's stories. You should be thorough in your critique; give the kind of feedback that you would like to receive in turn.

Jam Stunna and I will be judges, though our job will be to provide the most thorough critique we can. I will then compile all of the critiqued scores and announce the winners. It is important to know that if you do not critique the other stories, then your piece will receive last place and you may possibly be banned from further Round Table contests. The weakest link sensibility truly applies here, gentlemen, so please try to further the contest by putting some work into your critiques.

I want to assure you that your pieces will be judged on time. Jam's great reputation in the Creative Minds board and my track record on judging should attest to this. Below is the prompt, rules, deadlines, and the judging rubric that you should follow.

In Remembrance- A character in the story does something to achieve immortality. It can either be literal (finds a genie, collects the seven magic kittens, etc.), or it can be figurative (they achieve some great or terrible feat). Either approach is perfectly acceptable, so just get thinking.

Due Date: The midnight morning of Monday, June 2nd, 2008, Central time.
Word Limit: 6000
Judges: Jam Stunna, Tom, everyone!
Prizes:
1st - Writers group access, custom title, custom avatar
2nd - Writers group access, custom title
3rd - Writers group access

Judging:
A possible five (5) points into each category, creating a perfect score of 20. Please remember that you may use half points.

Adherence to Prompt
-5 points
Virgilijus - How interwoven is your story to the guidelines? If the prompt were a genre, could some one read it and instantly know the prompt was fantasy or satire? If they can, you followed it well. If not, you avoided it too much. Also, the prompt should be well utilized: a story that requires a mythical object should use it for all its potential worth, not merely mention it and check it off the list.

Matt - These points should be easy to earn. How well did you engage the guidelines? Did you engage them creatively? Did you engage them with your power? If I ask you to use a gun in your story, will you give me knife? Take risks, but don't disregard our basic expectations.

Tone - 5 pts
Virgilijus - The overall mood of the story; the feeling that you get when you read it. This is made up by the setting, characters, dialogue, and the imagery. Unless it is directed by the prompt, the tone for each story should be different, but they should all impact the reader. A good tone should get the reader immersed in the story, whether or not it is from blissful country sides or horrifying mad men. How real is your story in the readers mind?

Scav - Tone is made up of character (do your characters seem real? do they talk real? are they interesting), setting (Does your story have a sense of place? Of time? Are we always oriented?) and imagery (can we see what's going on?)

Style - 5 pts
Virgilijus - This is what separates your story from others of the same plot. How do you describe people, actions, and places? What rhythm do your words have? How quickly do you move the plot? Style is your paintbrush to show why your painting of little girl is different and more powerful than some one else’s.

Scav - The most technical of the categories. Did you use proper spelling and grammar? Did you try to push the envelope with your sentence structure? Did you construct the plot in a significant manner? This category relies heavily on phrasing and specifics.

Enjoyment - 5 pts
Virgilijus - Enjoyment is the immediate and long lasting appeal of your story. While we were reading it, was it a page turner? After we finished, did we sit and think about the theme or the final scene? Is your story an accomplishment, or just words with a beginning, middle and end?

Matt
- An enjoyable story brings plot elements and theme and, frankly, everything listed above together in a way that is both memorable and engaging. We're talking about the WOW factor here, and these types of points aren't easy to earn.

To everyone: using half points is encouraged!

RULES:

* Story must not exceed 6000 words (penalty for going over or under will be whatever each judge deems fit, taken from Adherence to Prompt)
* Contest begins now and ends on June 2nd at midnight central time.
* No need to sign up! Simply create a new topic with the tagline [WWYP RT] in front of it. For example: [WWYP RT] - The Story of why Scav Sucks
* You have until the deadline to edit the story as you see fit, but your topic will be locked at midnight on June 2nd to prevent last minute changes.
* Profanity is allowed! If you don't know how to censor dodge, pm one of the judges and he'll explain it to you.
* Everyone has two weeks to judge everyone else's work. Please be advised that judging may take longer than you expect. When you have compiled your results, PM them to Tom. You may want to do your judging in Word and then copy and paste it into one or two PMs.
* No plagiarizing, of course. If you do, you may be banned as well as disqualified.
* You can only submit stories that have not already been published and even those that are unpublished. The idea is to write something new!
* One entry allowed per person.
* Judges cannot enter the contest.
* ABSOLUTELY NO FAN FICS unless you are Eor.
* Write with your power.

---​

Feel free to post any questions or concerns that you may have.

• To clear up any confusion, the deadline is set for the Monday so that the writers can have that weekend to work as well.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Two questions, I have a piece I wanted critiqued but it's been done for some time. Also, the piece just hints at the idea of immortality by trying to continue the legacy of a character related to the narrator of the story, is that passable? Ie. the character is sharing the wisdom of their mother.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Two questions, I have a piece I wanted critiqued but it's been done for some time. Also, the piece just hints at the idea of immortality by trying to continue the legacy of a character related to the narrator of the story, is that passable? Ie. the character is sharing the wisdom of their mother.
My question still remains.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Tom and I discussed it last night, and we decided that we'd allow it. CM is a graveyard of unreviewed pieces, and at least in WWYP, someone will read it. As for Adherence to Prompt, some other readers may dock you points for not following the prompt exactly, but I don't see it as a problem.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sounds good then. I'll post it shortly. I really just need some good feedback on this piece because I'd like to submit it soon as possible.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Please tell me the future WWYPs aren't going to have such a terrible system

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wait, do you put WWYP RT or OT? I thought it was RT then I looked at the title.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Wait, do you put WWYP RT or OT? I thought it was RT then I looked at the title.
The rules say RT, so I would go with that. I'll also talk to Tom about clarifying some of the other things in the rules.

Eor, are you referring to this system as terrible? I'd be more than willing to hear any suggestions about finding something that works.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Honestly, I'd rather have a judging panel over have people posting stuff judge as well. Writing here will be personal, so any one who gives a critique or bad score to someone will probably get a retaliation post, where they will be even more nitpicky.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Honestly, I'd rather have a judging panel over have people posting stuff judge as well. Writing here will be personal, so any one who gives a critique or bad score to someone will probably get a retaliation post, where they will be even more nitpicky.
It's a possibility for sure. But anything has to be better than simply not receiving a score or critique at all. I hope that we can all be adults about this.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I don't think we'll have to worry about "retaliation judging" too much if nobody sees anyone else's comments until they're all submitted. Although people could be influenced by posts made during the contest.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
sorry i was out of contact today

big project, ya dig? ill be on aim when the sun moves around

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I don't understand this concept. If three people can't judge on time, then obviously 10 can?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Hey, you finally changed the OT to RT!

And yeah, Eor's got a point. Take my BRoom Brawl tournament for example. People just don't have time to do things, and it drags on forever.

If this is going to work, then you're going to need to make a deadline for people to get their judging done, or suffer a DQ.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Hey, you finally changed the OT to RT!

And yeah, Eor's got a point. Take my BRoom Brawl tournament for example. People just don't have time to do things, and it drags on forever.

If this is going to work, then you're going to need to make a deadline for people to get their judging done, or suffer a DQ.
That's exactly what will happen.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I don't understand this concept. If three people can't judge on time, then obviously 10 can?
I think it's more like, this way, everyone gets mad feedback on their story.

Also, if after the deadline, people are going to crap out and not judge, they should say so right away, rather than have everyone waste their time on your story.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Taken from the first post: Jam Stunna and I will be judges, though our job will be to provide the most thorough critique we can. I will then compile all of the critiqued scores and announce the winners. It is important to know that if you do not critique the other stories, then your piece will receive last place and you may possibly be banned from further Round Table contests. The weakest link sensibility truly applies here, gentlemen, so please try to further the contest by putting some work into your critiques.

--

Note that the rules say everyone has two weeks to critique/judge!

redcell had the right idea about this approach, i really do think that those who put time into their stories will also put time into critiquing other stories. before, we had judges who were incredibly separated from the system until it came to the end of the contest. in that manner, judges had an incredibly easy job for a long period of time and then were expected to get off their butts and do a good amount of work in (an initially appropriate, but after procrastinating...) a small about of time. it is really illogical.

this way, judges will be a part of the contest from the beginning, which i believe will alleviate the problem of waiting until the last minute to get work done because nothing had really tied you to the system.

Also, this is just common sense, but don't submit a piece if you are unwilling to critique other pieces.

I would rather have a handful of entrants who are not confident in their writing abilities but are willing to spend the time critiquing others than a fair amount of great writers who would just submit pieces and then lie to themselves and cheat the system by not judging their fair share. I would also kill all of you if that happened. nyaa nya~

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Huh, never noticed SmashBoards' writer's corner. My interest is enhanced greatly.

I'm storming into this like Space Marines.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I wouldn't mind allowing an extension, but yeah, it is a little weird to need one more than a month in advance. Oh well, it's better than asking the weekend before it's due.

I haven't started writing yet due to school, but when I do, I plan to make up for "Dawn" with this story.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I was thinking I'd probably not enter this one.
Then I saw the due date, holy smokes batman, I still have a month!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Excellent! This contest really needs to be pushed because after going through his story, it really helps you see what others are doing and how to reflect on your own work.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Excellent! This contest really needs to be pushed because after going through his story, it really helps you see what others are doing and how to reflect on your own work.
Very true. I hope we get more entries so that we have more people reviewing.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Only one question from me -- though I myself wasn't planning to do this, I'm slightly offended at the fact that only Eor is allowed to write fanfictions for the contest.

As an experienced fanfiction writer I take offense to the fact that I would be banned from using a fanfiction as an entry in the contest.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Only one question from me -- though I myself wasn't planning to do this, I'm slightly offended at the fact that only Eor is allowed to write fanfictions for the contest.

As an experienced fanfiction writer I take offense to the fact that I would be banned from using a fanfiction as an entry in the contest.
I'm sorry if that rule offended you SkylerOcon, though please listen to my explanation before you take offense.

In the past, fan fictions have been banned from our writing contests in general. This is because we want to see you create fully rounded characters on your own instead of borrowing from familiar characters and solely focusing on plot or action.

The rule, that "Fanfictions are not allowed unless you are Eor," is actually a joke; while fanfictions are still not allowed, the inclusion of Eor is just taunting him. From time to time, Eor writes thoroughly enjoyable fiction about our favorite wizard or our very own Matt, and the exception to that rule was just poking at that fact.

I hope you'll still enter the contest; as an experienced fanfic writer, I'm sure you have characters of your own brewing in your imagination.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I may enter this. Looks like I'll have quite a bit of free-time in a few weeks due to GRADUATING COLLEGE WOOHOO!

But seriously, I've got ideas a-brewin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom