• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ann Arbor - Rofa's Biweekly Smashfest/Tournament - Returns after ROFAS CIRCUIT EVENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
Yo, this event is now officially ON HOLD until after ROFAS MIDWEST CIRCUIT EVENT (August 15-16th). Use this thread for random conversations if you like, but everything relating to the MIDWEST CIRCUIT EVENT belongs in the other thread. KK THNX

Rofa's Biweekly Smashfest/Tournament - Ann Arbor

Next Biweekly = RB6 = MIDWEST CIRCUIT EVENT!!

This is a 2 day event!!! Aug 15-16th. Friday will be a SMASHFEST with a $5 singles side tournament starting around 9-10 PM. On Saturday $20 doubles starts at 1 PM followed by $15 singles at 4-5 PM.

This is an overnight event, and players are welcome to bring their SLEEPING BAGS and overnight gear to stay on Friday night!!!

Agenda

Friday, August 15th

5 PM - Smashfest begins!

8 PM - Registration for side tournament starts

9 PM - Side tournament begins

12-1 AM - Crew Battle! Get your crews together! Crews of 3-5 members, 15 stocks per crew. $5-10 per crew depending upon voting.

Saturday, August 16th

1 PM - $20 brawl doubles (10 per person)

4-5 PM - $15 brawl singles

The Location

1534 Hill Street
Ann Arbor Michigan

This is a building owned by the company that owns the coop where I live on the U of M Campus. This is NOT at the same location as the biweeklies were. It is in a building about 1/4 of a mile away! Please note! I will post maps later

So how will this work?

Glad you asked. Basically, this is divided into TWO different events.

First, there will be a Smashfest on the Friday. The Smashfest will begin at 5 PM and go until people decide to go to sleep (late late late). At the Smashfest there will be a $5 side tourney that players can choose to participate in or not. Along with a 3-5 man, 15 stock CREW BATTLE!!

The next day (Saturday) there will be $20 doubles and $15 singles (Circuit tournaments). Warm-ups for the tournament start in the morning but Doubles won't start until 1 PM. Singles should start around 4-5 PM.

The cost for the tournament will be (PLEASE NOTE CHANGE IN PRICING!)

$20 per doubles team
$15 per singles player

We are in need of both Wiis and TVs, so if you are one of the first 3 people to bring a setup you will get $5 off!

The Smashfest

The point of the Smashfest is to allow midwest players a chance to play a large variety of people casually rather than being forced to gamble money. The Smashfest will have a relaxed atmosphere and anyone is welcome to attend, free of charge.

Because the Smashfest will go on until the wee hours of the night, and most (if not all) the players attending will be participating in the tournament the following day, attendees are invited to bring their SLEEPING BAGS with them. There is plenty of room for people to crash at my house and that will save you a trip back and forth the next day (assuming you are attending the Saturday tournament).

The Saturday Circuit Tournaments

Please note that the Saturday Tournaments are drug and alchohol free

The rules for the Saturday Tournaments will feature the new STRIKE OUT stage selection system. I will add more explanation/details later.

Rules and Format
  • Three stock
  • Eight minute time limit
  • Double elimination bracket
  • Winner of best two out of three advances
  • Best three out of five in winner's bracket and loser's bracket finals

General Rules
  • No items
  • Team attack on
  • Life stealing allowed in teams
  • Coaching allowed only between matches
  • Ask the other player to pause if you need to pause for whatever reason. Be mature about this. "Accidental" pauses while being chaingrabbed or guarding against a Ness's up+b recovery will not be tolerated.

Stages

Neutral

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick

Luigi'sMansion
Green Greens
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Battleship Halberd
Pictochat - Yes, that's right, Pictochat.

Counterpicking

• As a general rule, the player that puts his controller in first, should chose his character first
  • Before the first game, either player may request a double blind character selection.
  • First stage is agreed upon or selected randomly from the Neutral Stage list.
  • The loser of a game may select a stage from the Neutral OR Counterpick stage lists as long as it is not a stage that has been previously played on in the set or a stage that was banned by either player at the beginning of the set.
  • The winner may select a new character and the loser may select a new character after the winner does.

Prizes

1st - 60%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%
5th - $1

Players are encouraged to attend both events (Friday and Saturday), but if you would just like to come to one or the other, by all means, please do.

--------
Agenda

Friday, August 15th

5 PM - Smashfest begins!

8 PM - Registration for side tournament starts

9 PM - Side tournament begins

12-1 AM - Crew Battle! Get your crews together! Crews of 3-5 members, 15 stocks per crew. $5-10 per crew depending upon voting.

Saturday, August 16th

1 PM - $20 brawl doubles (10 per person)

4-5 PM - $15 brawl singles

Remember, our goal is to train together and advance Smash in the Midwest.

I look forward to seeing you all at the CIRCUIT EVENT,

Rofa

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
You know whats not a neutral stage? Its called Pokemon stadium. And it sucks.

Balls.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My latest stage list, with possible list changes denoted. Do what you will with it.

+ means could be considered for counterpick
- means could be considered to be banned
* means could be considered neutral

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island +
Lylat Cruise +
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 2 -
Castle Siege -
Pictochat
Hanenbow -
Onett -
Corneria -
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens -
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium *

Banned:
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Pirate Ship +
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Drive
WarioWare, Inc.
Distant Planet +
New Pork City
The Summit
Skyworld
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes +
Big Blue

rofa

Smash Journeyman
thank you tony. that is a really good list.

and yeah, I'm a tad iffy about pokemon stadium being neutral the more I think about it. . .

can anyone give me a compelling reason why it shouldn't be considered neutral other than it "sucks balls?" :-p

the other issue that I have with the stage list is pokemon stadium 2. personally, I'm leaning towards allowing it as a counterpick. but, I don't know.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I think I'm going to ban PS 2 in my tournament because of snake's mines and stuff on treadmills. I guess game and watch ***** like no other on the wind part too.

On PS 1, the worst thing is the fan. If it didn't have the fan, it'd be neutral.

lain

Smash Master
PS1 - windmill is hugely annoying. edges are ****ed up, but it's still neutral.
ps2- sucks
i'd throw out hanenbrow and castle siege

having smash stuff two days in a row sounds a bit much, but it could open up time for more smashers to at least come to 1. *shrugs* have to wait and see i s'pose.

we need to make brownies again LOL

rofa

Smash Journeyman
lol yeah we do. i will have all the supplies ready.

also, i've been experimenting with PS1 and i'm starting to realize it might not be neutral. the edges and the windmill might be enough to classify it as CP. i'll try and decide soon but any input would be greatly appreciated

lain

Smash Master
well, it's just that it can be a disadvantage to any character. just don't be dumb (like me) and get caught under it.

but i don't care. it's teetering, really.

lol sweet. thanks a lot, last time we totally forgot LOL. i'm bringing some stuff that i would gladly share with ya (and perhaps vayseth and solon? LOL and anyone else of course).

rofa

Smash Journeyman
we are currently in need of wiis and/or gamecubes (for melee). if you have copies of melee, gamecubes, wiis or even TVs, bring them!

remember, if you are one of the first 3 people to bring a setup, you get $5 off your entry to one of the tournaments!! omg so awesome.

lain

Smash Master
i'm too scrubby to bring a tv. I can however bring a wii, and maybe my gamecube. with brawl and melee respectively.

Piratey_Critter

Smash Apprentice
I can bring a Wii, and a TV if you really need one.

My house is close enough that there's no reason for me to sleep there, but if you promise to watch my gear Rofa, I'd trust you and leave it there 'till Saturday.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
that would be awesome!! if you could do that I'd appreciate it veeery much.

anyone else want to step up to the plate like piratey_critter (solon) or what? comon people!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Melee side tournament? Ewww! :p

Leave me a Brawl setup ;)

I should be going to this.

lain

Smash Master
LOL i met overswarm at FC:D. i beat him in friendlies hurrayyyy! he taught me stuff though, it was cool.

i am officially super excited.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
LOL i met overswarm at FC:D. i beat him in friendlies hurrayyyy! he taught me stuff though, it was cool.

i am officially super excited.
Too bad I don't remember you.

OHHHHHHHH! BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I'll take MM in advance, btw. I'll be the guy in the Nintendo hat laughing maniacally whilst shooting lasers.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
lol. who wouldn't remember lain? that just doesn't make sense...

we are still in need of setups, so be a G and step up to the plate people! I command you: bring your setups, bring your setups!!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I can probably bring a TV or 2, along with a Wii. And Epic_Proportions can bring a TV + Wii as well. But the downside is that I sincerely doubt I can stay for Saturday :/

Btw, if I sleep there on Friday, I call a couch :D

rofa

Smash Journeyman
if i end up going to this i'll mm you overswarm, in both melee and brawl!
u and dope better make it!

also, wtf overswarm, your name magically turned purple all of the sudden. :eek: how'd u do that!? lol

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Its about **** time you found out how to make your name purple.

Honestly, not looking forward to playing against a ROB. I hate playing ROBs. But I can't pass up the opportunity to knock OS down a few notches :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
if i end up going to this i'll mm you overswarm, in both melee and brawl!
I don't play Melee sir. Like a captain, I look ever forward.

Haha.... good luck Panda! I go into every tournament as cocky as I can be. I play for first. Second sucks, so I'm always gonna keep trying as hard as I can.

As for my name being purple.... that took longer than anticipated. :(

lain

Smash Master
i'll be getting first thank you very much ;)

i'll mm ANYONE in melee. except shaeden. cause he still plays regularly and he's angry about it LOL.

i'll mm probably anyone in brawl too.

:D

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman

i'll mm ANYONE in melee. except shaeden. cause he still plays regularly and he's angry about it LOL.

aite lain if I go to this i'll be the first person u can mm in both games

EpicProportions

Smash Rookie
I can probably bring a TV or 2, along with a Wii. And Epic_Proportions can bring a TV + Wii as well. But the downside is that I sincerely doubt I can stay for Saturday :/

Btw, if I sleep there on Friday, I call a couch :D
Yeah, I can bring up a TV/wii. Only downside is I have to unlock stages/characters :s
...not that anyone plays jiggles anyway... *cough bowyer *cough

rofa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I can bring up a TV/wii. Only downside is I have to unlock stages/characters :s
...not that anyone plays jiggles anyway... *cough bowyer *cough
lol. just do 1v1 on 1 stock and suicide over and over again. each match takes 2 seconds. u can unlock every single character in brawl using this method in like < 1 hour. while ur doing it, make sure to play melee stages, pokemon stadium 2, etc so u get the stage unlocks at the same time. however, if u really don't want to just bring it here and i'll do it.

thanks mucho bro

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Psh.

Special Melee.

Stamina mode.

Flowers on your head.

Change your stamina to one, opponent stays at default.

Disable pause.

Put in a movie and keep pressing start on your controller. Turn off movie, go back to game. Defeat several new challengers in a row.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
wow, you really are elite...

stamina mode w/o pause you say? interrresting idea. did you come up with that on your own? cuz if you did, I must say: u smart

Shaeden

Smash Journeyman

ello thar douche nuts, i don't play melee regularly.. as a matter of fact all i really play is counter-strike.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
wow, you really are elite...

stamina mode w/o pause you say? interrresting idea. did you come up with that on your own? cuz if you did, I must say: u smart
I did, but I'm probably like one of a million :p

lain

Smash Master
LOL i wasn't insulting you shaeden. i thought you still played melee.

random smash at rofa's is tooooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom