• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Latch MAX!!!- Olimar target practice (Update Pit)

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Okay stupid title aside for those who love Eyeshield 21, lol, I was hoping the community could share efficient latches that can be accomplished or have accomplished.

No theoretical ideas please. Just post what you have done of know can be done.

Examples and what I have done since last night.

Latching a fire pikmin on Mario's front, not his face or legs WILL prevent him from actually hitting you with a fireball. The animation happens, the fireball comes out and the red pikmin gladly eats it and continues to chew on Mario.

This same tactic works on Lucas with the Red pikmin and his PK Fire as well.

I don't know if it works for Ness. I do know that if the Red pikmin is walking back to you, saw you missed a throw or a latch unintentionally, >.>, <.<, it will get hit by the PK Fire and just keep heading back to you.

For Ness any Pikmin gimps his recovery as any Olimar should know. The Latch will take the hit of the PK Thunder and Ness will fall to his doom. If you want the latch to stay on longer and on the ground use the yellow one.

Pikachu has to do a non-electric attack to get the yellow pikmin off most of the time from what I've noticed. His down smash didn't shake off the yellow one I latched on him but I don't remember where it was latched.

Share what you know to work out and I'll double check it and test and we'll have a nice little summery for what is efficient against what characters.

Now for the specifics!!!!
For these specifics I'll post where the pikmin latch onto on the character if it's possibly to keeps them on and what moves get them off. Also any special properties I noticed, EVEN IF THEY ARE OBVIOUS TO THE REST OF THE WORLD.

Characters now starting at the beginning of the alphabet which always starts with Snake.

Snake

Latch areas: head, front leg, back leg, and, back

If latched to the _____ will remove the pikmin.

Head: Dash attack, Neutral Air, Forward Air, Up Air, Jabs, Forward Tilt, Down Tilt, Up Tilt

Back: Jabs, Down Tilt

Front Leg: Neutral Air, Forward Air, Back Air, Up Air, Down Air, Jabs, Forward Tilt, Up Tilt

Back Leg: Neutral Air, Forward Air, Back Air, Up Air, Forward smash, Down Tilt

My Recommendation
AIM FOR : Snake's back and back legs, the majority of the attacks are facing you but if you land a pikmin on them, a dash attack won't remove it easily. The options to remove the pikmin become limited to laggy aerials which is really good for you.
Snake's Mortar slide WILL not remove the pikmin on him unless they are on his head.
Up Smash is doesn't kill any pikmin unless the mortar lands next to or on Snake, unless they're red.

BEST Color for the match:
RED- The red pikmin shines bright in this match, able to trip mines, literally and walk through a foward smash from Snake, RPG, without harm. Even able to Explode a mine in the act of grabbing. Note that the act of latching a red pikmin will blow up the nikita missile, which is always good. The little red pikmin earn their spot in this match.

Samus

Latch areas: Front Leg, Back Leg, Canon Arm, Non-Canon Arm, Back, Head

If latch to ______ the attack will remove the pikmin.

Front Leg: Jab, F Tilt, Up Tilt, Up B, D Smash, Nair, Dair, Uair,

Back Leg: Jab, F Tilt, Up Tilt, Up B, F Smash, D Smash, Nair, Dair, Bair, Uair, Fair,

Canon Arm: Jab, F Tilt, Up Tilt, Up B, F Smash, D Smash, Up Smash, Nair, Dair, Uair, Fair,

Non-Canon: Jab, F Tilt, Up Tilt, Up B, D Smash, Nair, Dair, Bair, Uair,

Back: Jab, F Tilt, Up Tilt, Up B, D Smash, Nair, Uair, Fair,

Head: Jab, Up Tilt, Up B, F Smash, D Smash, Up Smash, Fair,

My Recommendation: Any
None of the pikmin have any special resistance to Samus' attacks while latched on. Basically Samus has a wide area to latch onto, not saying she's fat or anything, just don't invite her for ice cream unless you own a Ben and Jerry's factory. She has variations on where something will be latched and avoid the hit once but then the next time she does the same move it will hit. The things to note are if you get in a projectile war, latching a white will force her to attack and get it off since missiles and charge shots don't work. Also if the Samus is Zairing a lot with the grapple beam, latching a pikmin will put a stop to that.

BEST Color for the match:
Red pikmin will beat through missiles and yellow pikmin will take a charge shot for you and laugh on their way back to you. Nothing too special. Basically aim for the head if have a choice in the matter. Getting the upper hand in the match is simple if they want to Zair the entire match latch them and make them come to you.

Zero Suit Samus

Latch areas: Front Leg, Back Leg, Gun Arm, Non-Gun Arm, Back, Head

*EDIT*: IF you see a move highlighted in a color like Yellow or Red That means that the pikmin of that color are immune to the attack.
Front Leg: Jab, D Tilt, Up Tilt, F Tilt, F+B, Up+B, D+B, Fsmash, Dsmash, Nair, Bair, Fair, Dair

Back Leg: D Tilt, Up Tilt, F Tilt, Up+B, D+B, Fsmash, Dsmash, Up Smash, Bair, Fair, Dair, Uair

Gun Arm: Jab, D Tilt, Up Tilt, F Tilt, B, F+B, Up+B, D+B, Fsmash, Dsmash, Nair, Bair, Fair, Dair

Non-Gun Arm: Jab, Up Tilt, F Tilt, F+B, Up+B, Dsmash, Nair, Bair, Fair, Dair

Back: Jab, F Tilt, D+B, Fsmash, Up Smash, Nair, Fair, Dair, Uair

Head: Jab, D Tilt, F Tilt, B, F+B, Up+B, D+B, Fsmash, Dsmash, Up Smash, Nair, Bair, Fair, Dair, Uair

My Recommendation:
Yellow does something in this match, prolonging the Up + B, F + B, Up Smash and Nair attacks while staying on is worth noting. Also if you latch a pikmin on the gun arm or the head when Zamus does her charge shot or whatever shot it will hit the pikmin and sometimes kill it, I didn't double check if it kills at full charge or a fresh pikmin. Also if you end up having Zamus show you her back Latch a pikmin, preferably White, the moves she has to work with that will remove it take time to do, like smashes, or puts her in the air or just give you a free grab chance, Dair.

BEST Color for the match: Obviously Yellow
Latching one on with the right spacing and reading when the opponent will try and shake it off is key to everyone Olimar's game.

Falco
"Personally I prefer the air!!!"
LANDMASTA!!11!

Ok whew got that out of my system and on to business.

Latch Areas: Head, Wing, Breast, Back, Thigh (haha I know just for Falco but come on it makes sense)

Head: F+B, Up+B, A, D Tilt, U Tilt, Nair, Fair, Fsmash, Dsmash

Wing: F+B, Up+B, A, U Tilt, Nair, Fair, Bair, Fsmash, Up Smash

Breast: B, F+B, Up+B, Dash, A, D Tilt, F Tilt, U Tilt, Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Fsmash, Dsmash, Up Smash

Back: F+B, Up+B, Dash, A, D Tilt, U Tilt, Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Fsmash, Up Smash

Thigh: F+B, Up+B, Dash, A, D Tilt, F Tilt, U Tilt, Nair, Bair, Dair, Uair, Fsmash, Dsmash, Up Smash

My Recommendation:

Basically you want to get around the annoying moves with Falco. latching pikmin is only helpful in this match to stop few attacks and leave him open. If a Falco doesn't know what he is doing he could get latched with white and try and down B it off. That is something key to look for when fighting this match. When Falco does a Down B with a pikmin on him rush him, you'll rack up damage and tear off a huge piece of this chicken.

BEST Color for the match: Yellow

Okay while the breast may be the juiciest part of a chicken it is even juicier for a yellow pikmin. They get to munch on Falco until he's well done. This stops lasers, period. There's no reason not to latch yellows onto this fowl foe. The Red pikmin get honorable mention for doing a lot of the cooking in this match but their only real use in the Up+B stall. Latching a red on Falco when he is starting his Up+B will make him an easy target and the more reds that latch onto Falco the longer it take for him to finish his Up+B and damage he takes.

Captain Falcon

Latch Areas: L Arm, R Arm, Head, Leg, Back, Chest

L Arm: F+B, Jab, F Smash, D Smash, Up Smash, D Tilt, B-air

R Arm: B, B reversed, F+B, D+B, Dash, Jab, F Smash, D Smash, D Tilt, D-air, B-air

Head: B, F+B, Dash, Jab, F Smash, D Smash, Up Smash, F Tilt, Up Tilt, N-air, D-air, U-air

Leg: D+B, Jab, D Smash, Up Smash, D Tilt, F Tilt, Up Tilt, N-air, D-air, U-air

Back: B reversed, Jab, F Smash, D Smash, Up Smash, D Tilt, F Tilt, N-air, D-air, U-air, B-air

Chest: B, B reversed, F+B, Dash, Jab, F Smash, D Smash, Up Smash, F Tilt, Up Tilt, N-air, F-air, U-air, B-air

My Recommendation:
Okay the basic latch areas are easy to hit but there's more to this match that latch areas.
The best way to rack up damage is by keeping Falcon off the stage and latch him from there. Captain Falcon will be way too concerned with recovering, be it F+B or UP+B. The F+B will let you have enough latch damage to kill him when he comes back to the stage or will make a predictable path that you can follow him and punish, or edge hog. If he insists on using UP+B he will have just made getting back at least 20% more painful with about two or three pikmin on him. Grab and throw and latch. Then Smash like mad.

BEST Color for the match: Red
Though it will not do the most damage latched it will take a Falcon punch, kick, even the raptor drive or whatever it's called. Even a Forward smash won't knock it off. The best thing about this, well second best, is that the lag on a Forward smash is extended letting you grab and punish easier. THE best thing is the F+B with a red on will stop him in his tracks if not latched to his back or legs. This doesn't stop him in the air but it does make for an easy to punish set up.

Pit

Latch Areas: Head, Front, Back, Legs

Head: Jab, Glide, Dash, Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Forward B, Nair, Fair, Bair, Dair, Uair, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash

Front: Jab, Glide, Dash, Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Forward B, Nair, Fair, Dair, Uair, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash

Back: Jab, Glide, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Forward B, Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash

Legs: Up Tilt, Nair, Forward Smash, Up Smash

My Recommendation:
Okay one latch area should stand out, his legs. Getting a white latched on there means he has to do one of those four moves to get it off. That's well and good but you would need to be mid range to be able to make use of this fact, and I'll tell you how to do it.
At the beginning of the match pit will start using his arrows. Throw a pikmin and pluck a pikmin, don't start the match off just plucking all of them. This will force him to stop the arrows to attack or to try and knock it off, this is where you get mid range.

BEST Color for the match: White
White on the legs forces your Pit opponent to be on the move or die and you can latch it easily on the legs too from a mid to far distance. Latching a white makes the Pit player come to you and if they want to use Forward B, let them, just back up and watch their damage rack up.

MISC. INFO

The latch ... cancels Ike's Side-B. Any Pikmin cancels it and you can either completely cancel it by throwing a Pikmin on him when he is charging his side-B, or throw a Pikmin in his "path"... He will then slash his sword, kill the Pikmin and die if he's off stage.
-Thanks Jarri this does work and to add you what you were saying Ike actually doesn't kill the pikmin if they are white and on the front arm, I've yet to label the latch areas but I wanted to give a somewhat accurate idea of what the pikmin would look like they are attacking

Pikmin stop Captain Falcon's side b. If you have a red latched on, it's immune to the side b and will continue to stop it as long as it's latched.
-Good eye Rapid. It is true that a pikmin ,when not latched to the leg will stop the Forward B on the ground. As far as stopping Falcon in the air he doesn't stop from pikmin and drop. He still gets to recover a little bit of distance.

For Smashes I know that against Wolf if you forward smash a yellow pikmin against his laser you'll stop the laser and get the hit if you are in range. I don't know if the laser makes the smash go shorter maybe its my bad memory. NO the laser doesn't slow or decrease the smashes range at all.

Lucas and Ness' PK Fire are both stop by a red pikmin latch, same goes for Mario's Fire balls if the front hand is latched.

Expect more detailed analysis of characters and latch areas to come.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
so.. we're posting anything special that happens against a certain character? like...yellow>pikachu. :)

-Zelda-
blue gets past nayru's
yellow gets past her electric attacks
fire doesn't get killed by faora's wind.

Like, are you going to make a list later on?

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Hopefully if this thread survives later on I'll list characters and what works best.

For Zelda yes the blue stay on but no, the yellow will fall of to a Neutral Air. For some reason the yellows are iffy for me whether or not they want to stick to Zelda.

I do remember that if you manage to latch Marth on the foot he has a hard time getting the pikmin off. I'm going to test that and post my results.

So basically anything that you know, KNOW, works post on this thread and I'll double check it and add a character list.

And that way the Olimar community will be better informed on what works and what doesn't.

Jarri- I was giving examples. Got anything useful to contribute?

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I do. The latch I love the most of all is the latch that cancels Ike's Side-B. Any Pikmin cancels it and you can either completely cancel it by throwing a Pikmin on him when he is charging his side-B, or throw a Pikmin in his "path" (of radiance lawl). He will then slash his sword, kill the Pikmin and die if he's off stage.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I'll double check this, good stuff.

I finished snakes move set, check the front page.

Edit: I double checked it and yes Ike does die from it. Good stuff, also some pikmin may survive if properly placed.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
If we are speaking of just latch... Pikmin have hitboxes that slow down people who hit them. This means by throwing 3 onto them that some hard-hitting attacks will slow down. Can't remember exact ones besides stuff like G&W bair.

It cancels out grenades and other projectiles. (Grenades explode on contact, I believe)
You can explode down smashes from Snake...

Does Samus' charged B get erased by yellow pikmin?

Always remember if you latch, they will try to get it off. In this instance, you can run to grab, hybhem, pivot grab.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
Ive been having trouble with camping wolfs...... If he just sits there and fires his lazer, each time his lazer shoots it knocks off any pikmin, but ive noticed that sometimes they stay on for a while anyway, i suppose you might have to throw it on a certain spot, seemed to me like it was his head but im not sure. Anyways its impossible to outcamp wolf when his blaster knocks pikmin off!

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
First off I'm pissed right now, you play a campy Wolf just power shield and move close. Big deal.
It's not hard I'll have that dealt with after a bit.

I finished doing Samus and Zero Suit. I'll edit the list once I get my notes from my friend's house.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
First off I'm pissed right now, you play a campy Wolf just power shield and move close. Big deal.
It's not hard I'll have that dealt with after a bit.

I finished doing Samus and Zero Suit. I'll edit the list once I get my notes from my friend's house.
You left those notes at my place btw. I'll write the date for you on aim if you get on later, or just come over again and we can play a few matches.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Finally got those two out of the way, next on the to do list, Zelda and Shiek.

As always any unknown information that you KNOW to work which regards latch, aside from glitches with the stages post and I'll check and it will be shared with the Olimar community.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Ok sorry for being away from my little project, I know I need to finish getting a ton of vids up to date on the new vid thread I started.

Tomorrow I should be able to start and finish Falco and Fox. I know I'm lazy but I have other things I'm working on and I'll promise that this thread will prove to be useful and very informative.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
Good, Stay away from me and jump to the spacies =P. The instant you do do it the more I'll know anyway haha...not like I don't...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've had some recent matches against DK. Basically, you want to aim at his head. Every move that DK has that knocks them off his head has no less lag than his uptilt. It's quite easy to punish with a grab or well spaced fsmash.

DK's...
first jab-doesn't do anything to the pikmen
second jab-knock all pikmen off
bair- doesn't knock pikmen off anywhere but his feet
upair-knocks pikmen off his head
nair-doesn't knock pikmen off his head
downb- doesn't knock pikmen off his head or back
uptilt-knocks pikmen off his head

do what you want with this info. nice thread! keep it up.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Thanks for the info DanGR I'll probably use it when I get around to DK.

I just finished up Falco, get some of these chicken's wings before all the pikmin eat 'em!

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
An Olimar equipped with this knowledge should be a force certainly, but I also see this knowledge giving aid to players struggling against Olimar. Keep up the good work, Hyde! Someone should really sticky this.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I'm trying and I'll get as much as I can done when I can.
I'm for the sticky as well but I think I need more characters up.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Something that I seriously did not notice, and the reason for this double post, when you latch pikmin it helps to test hit boxes. Think, while Snake does a dash attack his back is not able to hit you. So since latching a pikmin back there and on the leg doesn't get knocked of it makes sense to pivot grab after a shielded dash attack, although mortar slide means you have less time and a 2nd hit to watch out for but that's just an example that crossed my mind.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Great job on the falco portion - there really is plenty olly should be doing against falco in a match but latch isn't really one of them...

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
More misc. info:

Pikmin stop Captain Falcon's side b. If you have a red latched on, it's immune to the side b and will continue to stop it as long as it's latched.

Pikmin will gimp Pit's and Ness's up b's.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
sweey info on falcon and pit man. already have ness up I'll double check the info on pit and falcon. I'll get to updating when things get going better for me

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
you forgot lucas' lol, but latching a pikmin on pit will gimp his up-b? I could have sworn it's not gonna work.
I just woke up and am double checking this information. And no, Lucas' PK thunder goes through the pikmin Ness' doesn't.

EDIT:
C. Fail's Forward B does stop in place ON THE GROUND. In the air C.Fail will still recover forward. Also the latch area is dependent on the latch not being on the foot. The head, chest and, arm will cause the forward B to stop on the ground.

EDIT 2: Pit doesn't seem to be phased by the pikmin on his up+B. I latch and then do the up+B on a separate controller but Pit just keeps moving. I'll try and test with friend later this weekend and see if you have to be in the middle of doing the Up+B for the gimp

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
keep up the great work, who's next on the list?

Kingjackal89

Smash Rookie
Wow thnkas for the thread hyde a litttle too much for my little brain to understand but very informative. I MUST PRACTICE NOW!!

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I don't know but now that I have everything off my plate for a day, I'll see who I get, Random seems to work. I think I'll do R.O.B. expect the next update at the end of the week.

BTW I'm sorry if I don't take request but I know that this is helpful for a lot of people, expecially those that aren't Olimar players but there is a reason I made this thread.

I get bored playing Olimar. I mean yes I pay attention to the order of pikmin and everything like that but it gets boring still.

So I made this thread. Once I have pikmin, no I think about what is worth latching and what is not. Furthermore to my interest and fun finding where the pikmin lands and what moves the opponent has to do to get it off is really beneficial to me. Even if the opponent does the wrong move and hit me it frustrates the so much it hampers their playing style.

Ex. I was playing a R.O.B. Saturday, not a good one but it was interesting, once one was on his head he couldn't figure for himself to do an up tilt to get it off. So I latched two white one with flowers off a fresh stock. He Down smashed twice and then I grabbed him with a Purple and up threw him. I got a KO in five seconds of latch because someone didn't know how to get them off.

I'm glad people take an interest in this guide and post their thanks but what I enjoy most is if something happened in a match with latch that I might be able to recreate and see if it can actually do something useful or if your eyes tricked you. So please post anything, ANYTHING, that has to do with a latch incident that seems like a glitch.

Ex. Pikmin gymping Ness' recovery, Ike's Forward B recovery gympt. Or even if it turns out wrong like latching during Pit's recovery (IT DOES NOT GYMP him).

But thanks for the thanks and I'll try and keep this guide up and coming for all players. Because the more people know about Olimar the less likely they will be calling us camping noobs. Well they probably won't but we'll be great camping noobs to them:laugh:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
well said. We can't read all of your sig Dr. Hyde.

Edit: lol sig^

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
well said. We can't read all of your sig Dr. Hyde.
hope you can read it now.

Okay somethings that just made me sad and angry. Jigglypuff and R.O.B. What. The. Hell.

Seriously. R.O.B. Is an interesting match-up for Olimar being he's considered to be the most broken or at least one of the most deadliest gimpers, gimp gymp w/e :p. But on top of that he has an outlandishly large amount of places to latch pikmin on.

Here's a list of reasons why I am not doing R.O.B., as of yet:
Head, Right Clamp, Left Clamp, Back, Front Foot Area (seriously IDK what to call it), Back Foot Area, Neck, and Torso cylinder.

Seriously. 8 frickin parts that a pikmin could latch onto and enough difference to need to test each. Sorry not this week.

Then I pulled out Jiggly.
3 latch areas. :( I tried, honestly, to find more that head, back of head and foot. I tried latching the hands and the other foot. but no. I just had a hard time latching anything but the head.

So in my sadness of one too complicated and one too simple and difficult to latch properly I decided to test 0% grab combos.

Jiggly: D-Thrown, Up+B, D-Throw, Up+B, Up-Throw, Up+B =around 45% keep in mind that this is done if the opponent doesn't want to stay in the air at which point you just up+B from the ground but Down throw and Up+B was pretty consistent and after 30% Up throw proved more useful.

R.O.B. ooh I loved this.
D-Throw, Latch, D-Throw, Latch, Grab, grab attack twice, D-Throw and Up Smash = 56ish%

seriously unless R.O.B. tries to jump away at 0% this is a nice juicy combo.

I think I'm gonna put R.O.B. and Jiggly at the bottom of my to do list after what I've seen.

Top Bottom