• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'd like to share some of my knowledge. G&W advice.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So I have been working on my game a lot recently, and I have found some pretty cool tricks that I would like to share. I enjoy contributing to the community.

1. If you already knew about this stuff..thrn good job :). I am not claiming that I found anything...these are just strategies.

2. If you have anything to contribute, feel free.

3. If you have questions, make sure and search the forums before asking them.

4. This stuff is not going to make you amazing. It's just advice. You only need to rely on yourself to become better.

5. I am typing all of this on my Wii, so sorry if it isn't very organized.

----------------

I probably didn't need to write all of that as I am not really presenting that much information heh.

Lets start with G&W's up B. This is the reason I picked up GW. I love it sooo much. Anyways, here is some cool stuff dealing with Up-B:

-Something that I recently discovered, is that up-B can kill at very low %'s off the edge. I first found this while playing a wario player. I had just fair'ed him off the edge, and was falling under him. He was about 2 or 3 character lengths above me. I jumped and used up b. The draft made him rise, but I was rising faster and I hit him. He flew almost straight right, into the deathzone. He was at 34% when he died. The angle was perfect, and I was amazed. I evaluated what happened, and figured out how it works and how to do it.

Basically, what happened was that when I up b'ed I pushed wario up, and since I was rising faster then him, instead of just hitting him up and to the right like it usually would, he hit the lower portion of the hitbox since I was almost above him when we met, and it sent him at a pretty much perfect angle. Since then, I have gotten the distance down pretty well and I have done this several times. It is soooo good for getting low % kills off the edge. Try it out.

-- When using up B, attackin at the peak makes you auto fastfall. It seems like B moves make you fall faster then A moves. I was messing around with this and got two useful things from it. You can up B into someone and if you immiediatly hammer, it will combo at certain lower %'s. I like to set this up with nair. It usually sends them the perfect distance for this combo. If you are behind in a stock, this could win the game for you. It has for me. Up-B into 9. It actually combos if you find the right %. Also, you can also up B into B(frying pan) and it will combo as well. On battlefield I was over 100% vs a marth on my last stock, and I did nair --> up B --> FF nair from up B onto platform --> up B ---> 9. My opponent didn't have the chance to airdodge, and I won. Being creative will get you a long way.
Edgeguarding:

Just a few edgeguarding tricks.

I already mentioned the amazing up B one of course.
You can run off the side of pretty much any stage, dair immediatly and still be able to make it back up. If you want to feel safer, you can jump first. This is great for stage spiking people. Especially Marth and teather recoveries.

If you run off and fair someone who is recovering, you can often jump and fair them again, and then up B them and still make it back easily. Don't be afraid to stay out there. GW is amazing at getting back.

Approaching

GW is simply amazing at approaching. And not just because of his Bair. In fact, I rarely approach with bair anymore. If your opponent knows what they are doing, they will punish you.

Now, check this out. Frying Pan is amazing for approaching and baiting. The sausage stays out for soooo long. If you are near your opponent, jump backwards and hit B twice. Now you can Sh towards them again, and two sausages will be there completly covering you. This isn't the best idea vs people with fast projectiles, but works sooo well vs all the other characters. You can almost always keep sausage out and it will give your opponent hell. Oh, and if the sausage hits them, it stuns them long enough for you to hit them with almost any move if you react fast enough. Sausage ---> 9 is sooo good.

Ok, I have some more stuff, but I am getting tired of this Wii-mote, so I am going to end this with one last bit of advice.

This is probably the most important advice I could give a GW player.

GW is light. Very very light. This is by far his biggest weakness, as most characters live to very high %'s in brawl. With that in mind:

Know your opponents sweetspots. Know what move they typically kill with, learn when they like to use that move/moves and where on the stage they like to use it most. Then punish them. Make them think that using that move or killing strategy doesn't work. If you can make your opponent doubt thier ability to kill the 2nd lightest character in the game tnen things will go much easier for you. They will start focusing on what they are doing rather then you. Learn from your deaths. Nothing is meaningless.

-Hylian

Edit: I forgot to mention the Nair ---> up B approach >_<.
Nair to up B. You won't hit the ground. If they try to grab your nair or up B will hit them. Also, full hopped nair to key racks up great % if you can get it off.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow, great info and stuff.

Honestly I don't think G&W's weight is what I'd call his biggest weakness. That only means one thing, and that he technically gets killed at lower percents than other characters when hit by the same attacks. And mind you, he's a small target that is extremely mobile that almost never gets gimped. Offsetting his low weight is how G&W actually kills many characters at lower percents than he gets killed at.

Honestly, I think his biggest weakness, which is still kinda minor, is having slightly low attack speed. G&W doesn't have a whole ton of attacks that can be said to come out instantly (well, Jab, U-tilt, D-tilt, Up-B, N-air, and U-air are cool I guess). While he does have very good priority, his aerial attacks persay also sorta leave him open from a specific direction, which can turn the duration of his attacks into a disadvantage. Err...something like that. Hence why I think characters like MK and TL are rather hard to deal with. *shrug*

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hylian you could have just skipped all of this and said "G&W is awesome" lol. But this detailed information is nice too. I knew about most of this already but I didn't know that Upb canceled with Hammer would actually register as a combo. This is pretty neat, good job Hylian.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
very nice summary there.

I've been noticing that most gw players i've been watching online haven't really been putting enough effort into edgeguarding, more specifically they don't stay off the edge long enough, and they don't use the up b in an offensive manner at all. good points brought up here.

i've found that the key spiking off the stage has little uses, if at all. I rarely get it off because i feel as though there is almost no room to use it without me being punished for it. Do you get a lot of these off?

overall good stuff

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
yawn

old news!!!!

lol, JK good job Hylian, im sure this will help alot of GW users!!

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Up +B --> 9 Combos? I've never seen this. I must try this.

Also, I like this sausage strategy. I will also try this.

*Gishnak's G&W levels up!*

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Approaching

GW is simply amazing at approaching. And not just because of his Bair. In fact, I rarely approach with bair anymore. If your opponent knows what they are doing, they will punish you.

Wait, wait, wait. I would like to see some videos of your G&W winning when you rarely approach with bair. I'm not calling you out, just merely interested in seeing a successful G&W that doesn't rely on the turtle approach (because I know that I sure as hell do...)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Honestly, I feel as if you and I are on the same page. A lot of the points you brought up are things I try to do, and some things I've noticed myself. I havent ever done UpB to Judge, I dont think, but I certainly don't stop with just an offensive upB. Hylian, you're awesome :D

Gishnak, I've been approaching with the chef for some time, and it's certainly a good approach. They follow predictable patterns to get past the food, whether it be jumping over, rolling, or replying with a projectile. It's a good way to mix it from the constant turtling.

Awesome job Hylian!

doodmahn

Smash Journeyman
I usually don't approach with the turtle. I don't know why, but I think the imput of -> <- Y A-> takes too long, and no, I will NOT B-Stick. I love my smash stick too much.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
I usually don't approach with the turtle. I don't know why, but I think the imput of -> <- Y A-> takes too long, and no, I will NOT B-Stick. I love my smash stick too much.

It only takes too long if you are so close to your opponent that they can hit you before you turtle comes out. Just get better spacing, and I promise you it will not take too long.

napZzz

Smash Hero
1. never b-stick
2.its not that hard if you know how to move your fingers with decent momentum. Or you can set up your controls like mine where L is jump and I use the c stick for airs, it works very well because you can di better out of your attacks and you can throw them out faster. The bair is one of the hardest moves in the game to punish, abuse its godly abilities!

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
Wait, wait, wait. I would like to see some videos of your G&W winning when you rarely approach with bair. I'm not calling you out, just merely interested in seeing a successful G&W that doesn't rely on the turtle approach (because I know that I sure as hell do...)
Perfect shield it. No need for a video :)

mzink*

Smash Ace
Thanks alot man, been using these techniques frequently since I first read your post, definitely has added to my game.

TheFast

Smash Lord
suprised turtle hopping isnt in here (do a full jump and u do the start of a turtle right when u land so u get two out) just jump then turtle twice and ull do it if u mix this up with short hop turtles then ur opoint will not want to advance on u works great against characters with normaly long range such as dk and helps with marth alot two as it takes away the ability to be punished while landing if u do it right

TheFast

Smash Lord
yeah thats pretty much the truth as well. i hear alot of chatter no still no video :(

i have some new vids out to BTW some are with smashballs tho and some arent ill try to post them
all you have to do is get them above u up b and di towards the stage and you can stage spike them thus being an egdgaurding tactic

Top Bottom