• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B reversal lasers (With video)

forward

Smash Champion
Some of you may know about this trick that's been going around lately called B reversals. It's where you use certain B moves to change your aerial momentum. Anyways it can be done w/ Falco's lasers and I think that in time it will be extremely useful and even necessary for Falco to play at a high level.

As of right now the best use I have found is SH out B reversal in NBx2. It's used in almost the same way dash dancing was used in melee, you make a quick retreat then come back w/ an attack.

There is a way you can do this w/ out changing directions. I want to be able to SH in and B reversal out while shooting lasers in.

This video was made by Redgreenblue and Exousia, showing off the reversal lasers in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBulOwIs7g

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
It's really weird. The double turn around B is very, very technical, even more so than wave shining. It's a turn around B like you know from Melee paired with the B-reversal. It has a very tight timing and it has to be done quickly or you do a side B or hit the floor. This is a typical B-stick technique that is insanely hard to do without setting the C-Stick to special. :-/ Wish it was easier.

Forward, you picking up Falco for Brawl just like in Melee?

forward

Smash Champion
Dude I'm loving Falco right now. I'm in training mode as I type this trying to do this double turn laser, it's crazy difficult. I don't like changing my buttons that much, especially not the c stick, so I gotta do this the old fashioned way of monk-training-in-the-mountains style.

Aw man and one more thing. If once you shoot the lasers it's best to hold backwards to push yourself further back. So the command goes like this:

Run, jump forward, tap backwards, NB, tap forward, tap backwards

Trying to do all that in a short hop is LOL

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Forward! How nice to see that you're still involved in the Falco metagame. You're the reason I started playing falco.

Anyways, b-reversals or wavebouncing as some people call it I find is a good trick with his lasers at close range. Double reversals could help but I had never thought of using them with lasers... hmm. To anyone that is curious, double reversal is melee b reversal (pressing opposite direction BEFORE b), then press b, then brawl b reversal (pressing opposite direction AFTER b). Practice the timing on ganon or falcon then graduate to other characters.

I gotta try using this double reversal from now on.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Its too fast for me to try to want to practice it. I wouldn't want to try to do it in tournament and mess up and side-B off of the ledge.

Btw Forward, loved your Melee Falco. And yes...Falco is very amazing. XD

Check this out, I'm working on something technical that might be a sick mindgame. I haven't put it on the Tactical boards, yet. It extends grab ranges, stalls and waits for shields, rolls, and dodges.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/tommy090888/?action=view&current=GrabRange.jpg

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I practiced a bit, the timing isn't that hard once you get used to it. It's just kind of just a rush of button presses. It flows quite well, like a SHFFL did. I still need to work on speeding it up so I can do two lasers, but I am able to do it at least. It helps so much! It functions like a wavedash! This will be really helpful.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
So you're able to jump towards your enemy then retreat with a laser, or jump away from your enemy then approach with a laser, both options sound good to me. I practiced for a few minutes an got the timing down, if you're able to SHFFL in Melee then this shouldn't be any problem.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Oh yeah ! Finally a really hard technique for Falco ! I'm definitly gonna use this :D (Once i'm used to ^^")

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... I smell the biggest test in my Falco training now.

But I really dont want to change my control style JUST to do this technique. :(

What can be done?

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Okay, well I have mastered it, I think. No changes in control settings needed. Perform double reversal like so:

SH forward
Press the opposite direction you're facing (aka backward)
Quickly Press B
Quickly press the new opposite direction you're facing (aka forward)
Quickly Press B again

and that's the SHDRDL. :laugh: We need a new name. How about DRL (double reversal lasers)?

Blad01

Smash Lord
Don't go too fast with the names, RGB.

Actually, i see 4-5 different uses, which could have different names... We'll see soon for the names, for the moment let's practice and find uses.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Don't go too fast with the names, RGB.

Actually, i see 4-5 different uses, which could have different names... We'll see soon for the names, for the moment let's practice and find uses.
Well the different uses could all have different names I guess... but the most defining name should be used. Which is why i suggest DRL, because you do a double reversal with falco's lasers. But names don't really matter haha.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Technique looks really good, awesome o_o Just kinda hard to get the timing down. And might hurt your hands after practicing for a while, lol

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I can do a replay of it and then send the replay to someone who has a capture card (I had to sell my gamebridge because it didn't work with my pc ;__;). I'll go do it now.

What are the variations, anyways? B reversal, b reversal double laser, double b reversal, double b reversal double laser? Sure I'll go do it now.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
This just keeps proving that the b reverse lasers are ninja skills. xD

Especially if you have a black falco. xD

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Okay, I have the replays if anyone is willing to capture them (I split them into four so I wouldn't make too many errors; reversal laser, reversal double laser, double reversal laser, double reversal double laser). The last one is going to help the most, I think. A lot of the lack of momentum is due to the fact that I'm still not sure exactly WHEN I should do the melee reversal to stop my forward momentum (the brawl reversal momentum is dependent on your previous momentum). Also I phantasmed twice in the third replay and was too lazy to make another one lol. Just ask for the replays so you can capture them.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
I guess I should put some time into learning this.

I accidentally b-stick'd with Snake the other day, I was in the air and I dropped some C4, and Snake flew backwards <_<

edit: and yeah some replays of what exactly this looks like would be pretty helpful

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Holy crap this sounds hard as hell! This is like moonwalking (melee style) in the air+lasers! *Brain asplodes*

Quick question: How much momentum is gained from this? It would be lame if you couldn't tell the difference...

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Holy crap this sounds hard as hell! This is like moonwalking (melee style) in the air+lasers! *Brain asplodes*

Quick question: How much momentum is gained from this? It would be lame if you couldn't tell the difference...
It depends on when you do the melee reversal. The double reversal makes you move backwards for some reason, so it functions as kind of a mind game. If you do the reversal right before the laser, like immediately before (so as to not cancel your jumping momentum), then you gain an equal amount of momentum backwards. I am actually still confused why it moves you backwards... it's quite odd. You think it would that after the melee reversal, it would make you move forward... but the melee reversal doesn't affect your momentum at all.

The way I see it is... the momentum should move like this.

SH forward -> forward momentum starts
Melee reversal -> forward momentum retained
Neutral b -> forward momentum retained
Brawl reversal -> forward momentum increased

However, the reversal code in the game does not alter your momentum based on the direction you are facing, it seems, it alters it based on the direction you are moving. Hence, you move backwards after the double laser reversal. Perfect for rushing in with lasers without getting hit.

Oh, another thing. The timing for this double reversal makes it hard to NOT do the frame skip laser. :)

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see the replays if you have them

I don't have an yway to record them unfortunately, but I'm interested in seeing how effective this is.

pm me or something of you wouldn't mind exchanging wii codes and sending them

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I decided it would be too strenuous to send the replays individually to people... here's the rapidshare link.

http://rapidshare.com/files/117726179/replays.zip.html

I still feel bad about my double reversal single lasers :laugh:. I side+b'd twice.

I'll write what I'm doing in each of them:

Reversal single:

Dash
SH
Neutral B
Quickly press opposite direction

Reversal double:

Dash
SH
Neutral B
Quickly press opposite direction
Neutral B

Double reversal single:

Dash
SH
Press opposite direction (backward)
Neutral B
Quickly press new opposite direction (forward)

Double reversal double:

Dash
SH
Press opposite direction
Neutral B
Quickly press new opposite direction
Neutral B

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
I'll check the out right now I got an SD card

I just have to finish some last minute emergency training.

EDIT: Ok I'll try to record these ASAP, just know that I'm going to record them on to my video cam because I dont got a capture card.

Top Bottom