• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Go! Come Back! Pokemon Change Guidelines and Tips

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
This is quite clearly the most important move for any Pokemon Trainer, and how you use it greatly determines your ability and success in battle. Too often, I see PT matches where Pokemon Change is rarely or NEVER used. Some players, in a standard 3 stock match, play as if they had one stock to each Pokemon. Don't do this; it is a gross ignorance of PT's greatest strength: versatility.

I seriously felt that the lack of a thread dedicated to PT's most important move was a
serious detriment to the (still) budding PT metagame. I'm not B.S.ing when I say this is the most crucial move to use correctly for ANY character in Brawl. Aside from the obvious obstacle of maining three characters at once, I think it is the main reason PT is currently in bottom tier and not in middle (or higher but now I'm just being crazy).

First, before I get into the strategy behind the move, we'll cover some basic facts and how to use it in the first place.

The Basics​

So basically, the point of Pokemon Change is to force you to use all three Pokemon. The two main reasons are the fact that you switch after every time a Pokemon is KOed and the issue of stamina and fatigue.

The order of switch is Squirtle to Ivysaur to Charizard and back to Squirtle, and this is set in stone. You cannot, for example, switch directly from Squirtle to Charizard, regardless of how useful this would be! You must switch to Ivysaur, even for a split second. Unfortunately, switching twice will usually leave you incredible vulnerable to attack, so this is usually not a smart thing to do.

They all share the same damage meter and stock/KO count.

You cannot switch in the air, you must be standing on the ground to switch.

You can choose which Pokemon you'd like to start the match with by clicking on that Pokemon in the character select box. It's pretty simple, but smart leads are very important to your success as a Pokemon Trainer.

Stamina​

Stamina is an effect unique to Pokemon Trainer. Basically, each Pokemon has a 2:00 minute stamina counter that starts ticking down when it switches in. Any attack that isn't a jab or throw will decrease this counter by 0:01 seconds. Once this timer reaches 0:00, the Pokemon will start to show signs of fatigue in their default stance. Squirtle will hunch over, Ivy's bulb wilts, and Charizard's wings droop. Once each Pokemon is fatigued, all attacks suffer in both knockback and damage. It's still quite possible to continue battling when fatigued, and is actually desireable in some cases if the Pokemon has a strong natural advantage against the opponent. All fatigue really does is make it harder for that Pokemon to KO, which can be solved by switching to the next Pokemon.

Luuuuckily, Pokemon can recover stamina by waiting in its Pokeball with the Trainer. It takes 1:00 to recover all stamina, regardless of whether the Pokemon was fatigued after 2:00 or 5:00. Also, when a Pokemon is KO'd, its stamina is immediately refreshed.

Stamina affects Squirtle the most due to the nature of its attacks and playstyle, and the fact that it lacks many quality KO moves.

Also, keep in mind that switching nullifies diminishing returns and stale moves.

Using Pokemon Change Effectively

I'm not completely sure since it's 5 AM and I'm too lazy to fire up the Wii at the moment, but it takes roughly 4 seconds to complete a Pokemon Change, and a split second longer to be able to shield and all that good stuff (particularly shield). So let's say you need 5 seconds of solitude to be able to Pokemon Change without getting KO'd in the process. There are 3 ways to really effectively switch in battle. They are ordered by both how often they are used and how easy it is to use them:

1. Losing a stock.

2. KOing the opponent and switching while they respawn.

3. Knocking the opponent away enough to switch safely.

Those are really the only opportunities you get to switch, but it's not as if they are difficult to pull off, aside from perhaps 3 on smaller stages. For this reason, I think Battlefield could be a counterpick to PT as a whole, although all three Pokemon don't really mind battling there. But if you are quick about it, you shouldn't have many problems, even on BF or Yoshi's Island.

As you can tell, you will have trouble changing Pokemon if both you and the opponent have low damage.

General Advantages to Switching

Switching does a few things for you. First, it obviously gives you a completely different character to play with. One Pokemon may be better in a certain situation than another, and this is PT's main strength: versatility. Mastering this is the key to a good PT. Situations include stock tanking with Charizard, camping with Ivysaur, and general match up advantages/disadvantages. Knowing which of your Pokemon perform best against a character is crucial, and you should maximize the best Pokemon's time in battle and minimize the worst's.

The next advantage is improving your KO power (unless its from Charizard to Squirtle!). For one, the switch order naturally increases your power, assuming you start at Squirtle.

In addition, switching cures fatigue/diminished returns for a completely fresh character, complete with fully powered smashes. For this reason, Pokemon Trainer should NOT have any trouble KOing, regardless of situation. All three Pokemon can easily kill at 130% and lower when fresh.

You'll usually want to switch just to avoid fatigue with Squirtle or Ivysaur, unless you really have a dominating match up, where you are still superior even with fatigue accountd for. Fatigue makes it difficult to switch later using methods 2 or 3.

Advantages of Each Method

Losing a stock

ALWAYS keep in mind what Pokemon is next in line, and whether you want them to come in at 0% should you get KO'd. If that Poke matches up poorly with the opponent, it's likely best to switch it in at high percent so it won't be on the field very long. An exception to this is if you lose your stock while the opponent has a high percent, in which case you can quickly kill and then switch.

Clearly, you are forced to switch if you lose your stock. This is usually the most common way PT switches Pokemon, unless you've mastered 2 & 3 and use them often (highly unlikely). The most important part of this switch is the fact that the next Pokemon comes in at 0%. This is both a positive and negative. Squirtle really likes coming in healthy, it wouldn't last long otherwise. Ivysaur likes it too, because with some characters there's always the threat of an edgehog, even at "decent" percents. Charizard at 0%, however, is juggle and chain grab bait for some characters, like Metaknight and Falco, respectively. At times I actually want Zard to come in at 70-80%+ and just tank as much as it can. This is highly match up dependant, so you must be aware of any possible ways your opponent can trap Charizard at low percents.

Squirtle often comes in through this method, due to the fact that it is likely to die quickly if it comes in at high percents, and Charizard usually doesn't want to switch out until it is KO'd anyway.

KOing the Opponent

Coming in after a kill. Obviously, this is the safest way to switch Pokemon by actually using Pokemon Change, as in a 1v1 battle, there is no threat of attack until the opponent respawns, and by then you should have switched.

At times you can actually switch TWICE, on larger stages like Final Destination or something. Usually it's only possible on star kills, by switching as soon as you hit. I've only done it once in an actual match, and haven't tested the time between hitting the opponent away for a star KO (don't wait for them to become a star) and them getting into position to attack you. Tests here would be helpful!

The best thing about this switch is simply the fact that it's totally safe. The reason to switch here is usually because the next Pokemon will be able to kill better than the current one can, since they already killed once. Usually you'll want to switch out after a KO if you are Squirtle, since fatigue really kills Squirtle's KO power. Same goes to Ivysaur, to a lesser extent. But again, if the current Pokemon dominates the opponent, then fatigue will not affect you as much and staying in is recommended. This is a judgment call that only you can make based on your skill and the opponent's skill, so be wary.

If your stock is near its end, consider which Pokemon you want to start the next stock with and decide whether or not to switch accordingly. If you are Ivysaur, switching is usually a good idea just because Charizard will help survive longer, unless you'd like Charizard to play the whole next stock.

Knockback Switch

Usually the least used method of switching, and also the most dangerous yet satisfying...

Example: Squirtle is your best match up against the opponent. Nothing like racking up damage and fairing them off-stage with Squirtle, switching to Ivysaur, fsmashing for the kill, and switching to Zard to tank the rest of that stock, only to begin again when Squirtle comes out. I've yet to see anyone play PT like this, but this seems like the most advanced a PT could possibly get...and mastering the art of switching Pokemon without having to kill the opponent or yourself is crucial. First, the best moves each Pokemon has to space for a switch, assume the opponent has a decent amount of damage; naturally you won't be able to knock them away enough at 0%:

Squirtle

Dthrow
Fsmash
Dsmash
Usmash
Water Gun (only useful if the opponent doesn't have any momentum toward you, but incredibly effective otherwise)
Withdraw (laugh as you knock them off FD and Withdraw away to switch)

Ivysaur

Fsmash
Usmash (will probably kill them anyway if you hit haha)
Fair
Uair
Bthrow (opponent needs to have higher than average percent, i think)
Sweetspotted Vine Whip

Charizard

Any smash attack
Any tilt attack (need to be in 120+ range)
Dthrow
Fthrow
Bthrow
Rock Smash (huge boulder)
Fair (the knockback part of it, of course)
SS Bair
Glide attack
Fly (connect with the last hit with knockback)

Naturally this isn't an all inclusive list, just the most effective ones off the top of my head. Any attack with decent knockback can serve this purpose at high enough percent. Most of this is just each Pokemon's best kill moves...and if they don't KO anyway due to fatigue/diminishing, it'll knock them far enough to switch. In addition, doing a bit of edgeguarding, retreating a bit, and switching can also work. Horizontal knockback is more helpful than vertical, as the opponent can just fastfall. Thanks to Adriel for the tip. I'll likely get around to ordering the moves according to horizontal knockback, if any of you are willing, then be my guest!

If you have any suggestions, go ahead and post them.

There's two things you need to pull this off. The first is the opponent at a decent percent, so the knockback will give you space to change, and the second is a strong enough attack.

There are two different situations here, and they involve whether you have a little damage or a lot of damage. But the point either way is to use a certain Pokemon as little as possible.

Using this at the beginning of your stock basically means you want to start the stock with that Pokemon and then quickly switch it out; while the other situation means you want to switch in the Pokemon and then let it end the stock soon after. Both ways are terrific ways of overcoming inherent matchup disadvantages and minimizing that Pokemon's time in battle.

Specific Tactics/More in Depth

Alright, this is just me going off the diving board, so forgive me if I don't land correctly. But these are some not-obvious (I think) tactics you can use by taking advantage of Pokemon Change.

Smash Abuse/Switching to Kill

It's okay Ivysaur, use Fsmash all you want. Squirtle just Hydroplane your heart out. Because you can just switch anyway. If you plan accordingly and switch when needed, you don't have to give a hoot about "(Pokemon) has only a few kill moves" arguments, because you can just switch and Ivysaur/Charizard can land a quick Smash/Tilt, free of fatigue and staleness. Instead, you can focus on just racking up as much damage as possible and switching for the KO once the opponent reaches a certain threshold. Diminishing returns shouldn't give you much trouble getting a switch in. Ivysaur's Fsmash and Hydroplaning (perhaps Hydroplanting) are really the only attacks that benefit from this tactic since they are the most spammable...but just know that instead of saving these attacks to kill later, you have the option of using them frequently and just switching later.

Charizard doesn't really care, he's THAT strong. :p

The same strategy applies to fatigue. However, chances are that if you are fatigued, you wanted to keep that Pokemon in for a while anyway...if it were at a disadvantage, you'd use a tactic to get it in and out as soon and effectively as possible.

Playing Your Best Matchup Differently

Retro Gaming recently brought to my attention the fact that when a Pokemon is KO'd, its stamina is automatically refreshed, no matter whether a minute has passed or not. Retro said it best as I cannot word it any better no matter how much I try, so here's the quote:

If you put effort into learning all three of the Pokemon, then you should be able to at least get the opponent up to moderate percentages and use your kill move to buy enough time to switch again. The percantage of your opponent doesn't change, so you can still play defensively; chipping away at your opponent until you see an opening to launch them far away enough. Then you're back at the "best" Pokemon, and regardless of how fast you did it, they're at full stamina because knock-outs restore stamina to the Pokmeon knocked out.
What does this mean? It means you can use all three Pokemon during one stock, easily and efficiently. What you do is start the stock with your best character in that situation and rack up enough damage to clear enough room for a safe switch. In this case it is actually not desirable to KO with that best Pokemon, due to the fact that the opponent will be at 0% and safe switching will be very difficult, unless you are KO'd. And that's counterproductive to keeping that Pokemon on the field, obviously.

Let your best Pokemon rack up the damage and let your other Pokemon get the KOs so your best match up can come in again at low percents. This way, that Pokemon is playing the majority of each stock and are playing with your best cards.

This is all in contrast to simply playing your best Pokemon throughout a whole stock and KOing as much as possible while it is out.

Naturally this is only most effective against opponents with a clear disadvantage to one of your 3 Pokemon, but when you have a match up like that...smart play like this will definitely increase your chance to win.

First Slot in your Party?

In the Pokemon games, the Pokemon in the first slot of your party makes a huge difference, as it does in Brawl. Honestly, the decision should come down to match ups. If you have a certain strategy and always start a match off with a particular Pokemon...DON'T. You are ignoring the opponent's character and may be setting your first stock up for slaughter, potentially leaving you to play a stock behind.

Assuming you have two great/okay Pokemon match ups against the opponent (this is the case against most characters), you should start the match in one of two different ways. Y means good match up, N means bad:

Y-Y-N
Y-N-Y

The first basically means you'll likely play the first and majority of second stock without using Pokemon Change, only switching when Pokemon #1 faints. You should switch near the end of Pokemon #2's stock, so Pokemon #1 starts the third stock.

The second means you will likely switch in your "N" Pokemon when Pokemon #1 KOs the opponent or after Pokemon #1 faints and "N" finishes the opponent's first stock. Either way, "N" then switches out and lets Pokemon 3 and 1 to finish out the second and third stocks.

In both scenarios, Pokemon 1 plays almost two stocks, so you are basically starting out with your best hand. This is the best and simplest way (that I know of) to influence which Pokemon plays the most. These are great general guidelines to follow, but should not be rigid rules due to the fact that it doesn't account for all the switches you may make...it only accounts for switching into our out of your worst Pokemon at the end of your stock (into) or the opponent's stock (out of). It doesn't account for switching simply to kill, switching due to fatigue, or to tank with Charizard regardless of whether he's a good match up or not. But it's still a good guideline, particularly for beginning Trainers.

But a good Trainer can start using one of these strategies and, if needed, adjust on the fly. The one thing to be sure of is that if you are near death, your next Pokemon isn't your weak one. It is quite feasible to switch twice in one stock, and thereby both avoiding your weak Poke and starting the next stock with a strong one.

However, the main thing is, don't start with a Pokemon that has a disadvantage, because it won't be able to safely switch until either you or the opponent are close to losing their first stock.

Bolded and italicized, because this touches on the most important part of Pokemon Change. Don't let your weakest Pokemon come in when both PT and the opponent have taken little to no damage. You will not be able to switch until either you lose your stock or manage to knock the opponent away enough or KO. If it's your weakest Pokemon, chances are that you will lose your stock a while before your opponent does. Unless you are an amazing PT and are better than the opponent with all three than they are with their one.

The Pokemon you start with is immensely important to how you fare in each match.

I believe good PTs can switch regularly yet still be aware enough to avoid this situation.

Alright, I've spent way too much time on this and have lost my track of thought multiple times, so there are things I've likely forgotten. All of this is just stuff I've learned and developed in the past, so this likely isn't perfect. Contribute any strategies you've developed yourself! I'll work on summarizing and adding new things to this post once I'm not so burnt out from it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
7/4 - Added Charizard's Dthrow (completely forgot) and tilts to list. Added Specific Tactics section.
7/10 - Added the Basics, Stamina, and "Playing Your Best Matchup Differently" sections.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Good thread.

A lot of the moves you mentioned are kill moves, so people must keep diminishing returns in mind. However, the moves are refreshed whenever they switch.

I must mention that I always find a way to switch to the heavier character at higher percentages. That's obviously a time to use your high knockback moves to get some switching time.

Onxy

Smash Lord
If you are fatigued, the move won't kill anyway... Unless your Charizard.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
All of Charizard's tilts also have enough knockback to give you time to switch. Horizontal knockback is much more effective for switching then vertical because your opponent can fastfall or drop a C4 to asplode on you when your pokemanz come out.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
Very nice guide, Charizards Fthrow with the right amount of damage, (probably about 50%+) will also give you the chance of switching pokemon.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ftilt will not give you enough room. I don't care who you're fighting, it won't. Same goes for Fthrow. Dthrow's the one you want to use for knockback >_<

Mechanine

Smash Rookie
Hey ah, I can't help but feel extremely ******** for asking this, but I have a problem with pokemon change, and was wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Normally Pokemon Change is pretty fast, right? Like, squirtle gets sucked up and Ivysaur comes shooting out. But sometimes - most of the times - I'll KO my friend or knock him away, and I immediately down B.

And then sometimes the pokeball just sits there for what seems like at least five seconds, or at least long enough for Marth to fully charge three Fsmashes on me (The last of which usually connects). So I don't know how I'm making pokemon change so slow.

Any help?

Onxy

Smash Lord
This isn't Wifi right? your character has to load, depending on the port you're on, it might take longer, I believe. Lol, just pause the game if it's that bad :laugh:

Mechanine

Smash Rookie
No, not wifi.

I kinda doubt pausing would help, since everything else moves perfectly fine for the few seconds that the pokeball just sits there.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
no, pausing does help. the game will still be busy loading the character model and the pokemon should come out instantly.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Yeah pausing really helps, and not just if the pokeball stays there longer than usual,it can always reduce the time to switch pokemon, just that your friend wont be very happy with it. XD
Excellent guide, for some unknown reason i always had the worst matchup at the begining XD, this can help a lot of PT players to get better, congratulations, it just so sad that the pokemon with more options to switch safely is the one who wouldnt do it very often( charizard)

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
The game actually seems to have different switch time for each transition.

You forgot a situation for switching, though. Obviously, you want to avoid doing this one at all costs, but sometimes it's for the best...

Just take the hit.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
The second method is essentially what I do! oh, and Steeler36 from Nintendo NSider!, you should set up multiple dex entries to the type chart goes faster.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Squirtle comes out slowest and Charizard comes out fastest was what I thought the consensus on another thread was? I haven't looked at the updates to the first post yet, though.

Anyway, I like that you focused on this. Such a key element to the character can't go unnoticed. I find myself switching between 1-3 additional times per match besides the forced switches on respawn.

Amide

Smash Lord
Wow, that was really good. Not much I can say except that is really helpful.

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
This has changed my mind about Pokemon Change completely. I never thought about it until I read this. One question though: what is stock tanking for Charizard?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Stock tanking is essentially tearing apart your opponent with brute force (or has a similar definition), which we all know Charizard is good at, even among fellow stock tankers.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
It's actually closer to keeping a singular stock for a large amount of time, while, not necesarily scoring a kill, building enough damage to get it easily within the next stock(Squirtle).

Charizard92

Smash Champion
So Stock Tanking is "get as much damage in as you can in one stock", that sounds pretty similar to my definition.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Except your definition wasn't helpful.

Anyway, if this helps, think about bowser in melee. Incredibly easy to combo due to large size and weight, but once it hits 130%+, he is surviving till 200%. Using the same concept, Charizard allows you to maximize your time with that last stock and hopefully rack up some damage in the process.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah that is exactly what stock tanking is. it's getting the most life out of your stock.

whoever stickied this:

cool :p

still haven't gotten around to pokemon specific 'strategies' yet, will do so...eventually

moomoocow123

Smash Cadet
Australia ofc. You know... the Australia with the
Hey ah, I can't help but feel extremely ******** for asking this
My thoughts exactly for what im asking *blush* but i just GOTTA ask this, cause its been bothering me for ages.

WHAT THE HELL ARE FAIRS BAIRS and all that crap?

I have NO IDEA. it's really confusing, i would LOVE to know so that i could actually make sense of some of these combos T_______T thank you! idc if you whisper me or visitor message or w/e. I just wanna knoooowww T______________T

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Fair= forward a in the air
Bair= back a in the air
Dair=down a in the air
Uair= up a in the air
Nair= neutral a in the air

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
updated, i'd like retro's input on the new maximizing potential part or whatever of specific tactics.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Is this what you're saying?

PT vs Marth, for example:

Charizard builds lots of damage but purposely refrains from killing.
Squirtle comes in, get's a kill, get's out.
Ivysaur launches Marth far away enough to switch again.
Charizard is back in?

I think I'm missing something.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Really, how you line up your Pokémon is a complicated matter. Factors to consider:

1. How well each Pokémon does in X match-up.
2. Your current percentage.
3. Fatigue.
4. The position a switch would place your team in later in the match.
5. Something may go wrong.

If I know that Zard does well in a match-up, I'll bring him in after Ivy gets a kill and is around 60% or less. If it's more than that, I'll hold onto Ivy with the purpose of peppering damage, sacrificing it. Zard does much better on a fresh stock, after all.

Let's go with a similar situation. Ivysaur is above the desirable mark for a Zard switch, but Zard does poorly in the given match-up. I'd bring in Zard and hope to set up for Squirtle.

I'll almost always switch out Squirtle because I know fatigue will **** it.

I may refrain from making a given switch because at the rate the current game is going, it would end on a bad match-up.

Just a little insight.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Those are all really good points. A succesful Pokemon Trainer is going to have to be thinking about the future of the match-up and be able to improvise his switching plans in worst case scenarios. I think you should add a small note that, above all else, these are only guidelines, and that the best switches will heavily vary from match to match (Not even match-up, just match).

It's a little confusing.

Toby.

Smash Master
This is a really great thread, thanks for taking the time to put it together. You've clearly put a lot of thought into it all. I don't have anything to add that hasn't been mentioned before, so...good stuff!

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Wow, thanks for adding in what I said.

About horizontal knockback, characters than can glide, specifically Meta Knight, can glide attack you when your pokemanz come out, with some nice timing of course. Characters with horizontal recoveries may be able to get in an attack as well. In addition to fast-falling, if you knock back your opponent vertically, one can also use descending attacks to hit you, like Bowser's and Yoshi's down-b. To prevent taking any damage from these characters, you have to knock back your opponent farther than usual or just knock them off screen altogether.

Just trying to say that it's better to knock up certain character's one way or the other to prevent taking damage or getting KO'ed.

aggrogahu

Smash Cadet
This was mentioned in some other thread, but I think it would be a good addition to this guide. During a switch you can buffer an up B and the pokemon coming out performs that attack right away. It works really well when switching to Charizard, ok with Squirtle, and not so good with Ivysaur. I think someone said that this gets rid of the vulnerability (frames) of the change. Flying with Charizard out of a switch won a very close match for me, where my opponent was under the impression he could smash me as I switched, but Zard's up B KO'd him. Good times, good times.

Crow!

Smash Lord
This guide is long enough that it might as well be thorough.. one thing you never actually SAY in the guide (though obviously imply) is that the opponent has the ability to hit your new pokemon as he comes out of the ball before he can do anything.

As a dabbler in PT, I sometimes find myself in a situation where I've tried a pokemon change at a time when the opponent gets to my location faster than I expected, before I'm done changing. What's the best/fastest action to maximize the chance that the would-be spawn killer will make a mistake and miss the hit?

Top Bottom