• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Go! Come Back! Pokemon Change Guidelines and Tips

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
This was mentioned in some other thread, but I think it would be a good addition to this guide. During a switch you can buffer an up B and the pokemon coming out performs that attack right away. It works really well when switching to Charizard, ok with Squirtle, and not so good with Ivysaur. I think someone said that this gets rid of the vulnerability (frames) of the change. Flying with Charizard out of a switch won a very close match for me, where my opponent was under the impression he could smash me as I switched, but Zard's up B KO'd him. Good times, good times.
Yeah it was me!!! :D, althought im not very sure about the "all vulnerability frames gone" thing, but until now i havent been punished for that, may someone try it against a jabbing falco? that would be the best way to know......

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
This was mentioned in some other thread, but I think it would be a good addition to this guide. During a switch you can buffer an up B and the pokemon coming out performs that attack right away. It works really well when switching to Charizard, ok with Squirtle, and not so good with Ivysaur. I think someone said that this gets rid of the vulnerability (frames) of the change. Flying with Charizard out of a switch won a very close match for me, where my opponent was under the impression he could smash me as I switched, but Zard's up B KO'd him. Good times, good times.
Does it really work? Can someone video/ tell me how fast to do it? I didn't mess around with it that long, but its an option.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Anything that helps with switching has to be awesome. Especially considering SUPER ARMOR.

Seriously, the better we can get around the stupid PT mechanics, the easier it will be to use them.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah the up b sounds really interesting...

i'll add that when i make the next update Crow, thanks for pointing out something important i left out

retro what i was referring to in my last post on page 2 was something you'd said around that time in a different thread...but it's been a month so i've forgotten what it was about :p

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
So this buffering thing is just using the move as soon as possible after the Pokeball animation is over right? So basically not that useful like when you die in the middle of your Up-B?

yeah the up b sounds really interesting...

i'll add that when i make the next update Crow, thanks for pointing out something important i left out

retro what i was referring to in my last post on page 2 was something you'd said around that time in a different thread...but it's been a month so i've forgotten what it was about :p
When a Pokemon is knocked-out, all of it's stamina is restored.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Retro, i think that the right time to do the upB(and maybe another move, i dont know exactly) is after you hit downB, but before the current pokemon comes back to his pokeball, and aggrogahu, im happy that my idea made you win a match in such an epic way :D
Anyway, if this is considered to be usefull, and worth to put on the advanced tecniches, i would like to call it Batton Pass, because its related to the pokemon change, and it was "discovered" with the UPB, which are the initials of Batton Pass Use reverted.... lol

zeta

Smash Journeyman
so we all know the catle seige glitch right? funny story about that. it was during the second part of the stage in transition to the third part i went all the way to the right of the screen. and used pokemon change. my opponent literally sat there waiting for me to come back out. so when the stage switched he accidently nuetraled and fell to his doom while i jumped and recovered.

lulz.

Onxy

Smash Lord
*Looks at Zeta's sig*

I would love for PT to be in high tier, but there is far too much PT hate, so I doubt that he will ever leave the bottom of low area.

I still main PT.... I can't leave him.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah retro that might've been it. anyway i'll update with the information you guys have posted soon.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I have news for you PT mains.... the "batton pass" or "buffering" and attack while switching actually works pretty well, its not perfect, but its a goodthing to keep in mind, so ill post my findings
1. Every pokemon has an animation when it returns to its pokeball or comes out on the stages, and some of those frames are invicible (there are vulnerabilty frames on the last part of the coming out animation, that is one of the reasons the change is easily punished, you cannot control your pokemon until that animation finishes)
2. When your pokemon is on the "returning to its pokeball" animation you can input "any" attack (it havent worked with smashes or grabs, but my z button is bad, so i always try to shield-then-grab, and that does work), the pokemon returning to the pokeball wont do it, but the good thing is that the coming out pokemon will perform the attack cutting the comeout animation's time to something like the half.
3. When the animation finishes the pokemon is vulnerable, but able to do the attack you did input to the returning pokemon, that means you can get punished if your coming out attack:
*Is slow(rock smash does not work well when the oponent is near to punish you soon, but its great if they are far and runing to you to punish, then get rocksmashed)
*Is outprioritized(ikes charged fsmash still punishes squirtles ftilt out of pokeball, and it HURTS.... lol)
*Has a strange hitbox which allows te enemy to punish(vine whip)
*The very few knockback and laggy combination ( yeah im looking at you, razor leaf)
4. There are some moves wich are incredbly handy on this tecniche, to name some:
*Charizards utilt,dtilt,flamethrower,upb
*Ivysaurs dtilt,ftilt,utilt, and hell does bullet seed works wonders
*Squirtles utilt,dtilt,jab
5. You can also press x or y tojump out of the pokeball,nad go for an aerial
6. Its hard to smash, because of the little time to input an attack, and if you charge the smash some weird thing happens and it doesnt come out, i think smashes hardly will be usefull to prevent the punishing because of this
7. If you wanna learn to do it, do it with the ivysaur-to-charizard change, it works good because ivysaur has the most noticeable coming back animation( input the attack when you see the flower alone on the ground); and then move on learning the time to do it on the other changes.
Hope that helps every PT main out there :D
Sorry for no vid but i dont have any way to get one :(

Griffard

Smash Ace
this is quite useful information. I find that it's most helpful to start with Ivy for most matchups, either kill with ivy for first stock and switch in their second stock or finish the first stock with Charizard. Then switch to Squirtle so you can get some quick damage on the opponent before you die so you can restart with the best damage racker, Ivysaur! Marvelous

zeta

Smash Journeyman
does anyone know if the switch is fast enough to change during ddd chainthrow?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
unless they screw up the timing. i like to just tap b as ivysaur in case they mess up the timing by a little bit.

Slurpee

Smash Rookie
Hey ah, I can't help but feel extremely ******** for asking this, but I have a problem with pokemon change, and was wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Normally Pokemon Change is pretty fast, right? Like, squirtle gets sucked up and Ivysaur comes shooting out. But sometimes - most of the times - I'll KO my friend or knock him away, and I immediately down B.

And then sometimes the pokeball just sits there for what seems like at least five seconds, or at least long enough for Marth to fully charge three Fsmashes on me (The last of which usually connects). So I don't know how I'm making pokemon change so slow.

Any help?
Yes, I believe that i has to do with loading a new character, so sometimes it will take a while. There was a thread on this somewhere, and if you pause the game while the pokeball is there, then unpause it a couple seconds later, you will come out faster. Hope that helps!

Kith

Smash Ace
What Castle Siege glitch? I'm still kinda new here, so I must have missed it.

Toby.

Smash Master
Mmm old discussion :)

The Castle Siege glitch refers to when you use the pokemon change while the stage is transitioning between levels. The pokemon will stay in their ball for the entirety of the stage change, rather than the normal second or so.

TKD

Smash Lord
I started playing Pokemon Trainer recently, and this guide was just what I needed. I hadn't thought about Charizard as a character that can tank, I just thought of him as a lesser Squirtle that has an easier time dealing knockback to allow switches.

This is the best guide I've ever read for Brawl, just because it's at least good, but it's much better than "good", it's awesome. Pokemon Trainer is sooo good...my only problem is having the wrong monster out at some times. But I'll get used to it.

Again, "AMAZING JOB"!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
thanks TKD. nice to see that my thread is helping people out although it's a bit old. :)

TheLake

Smash Master
WOW to this O_O

Thats all thats needed to be said ^_^

Steeler36 is still the man

Helping them trainers one step at a time

CNightmare072

Smash Rookie
NNID
DMatts
thanks a lot, this thread is really helpful for PT users. Switching in & out can be a huge hassle for him. Charizard's & Squirtle's Bair actually helps send the opponent away enough for a safe switch at certian percentages

Top Bottom