• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thunder + Nair

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I have been learning something recently about how thunder can combo into nair. I have looked around and have not seen anything so i am posting it here. i have pulled it off vs a few of you, but i recently got a kill with it. look at the last death of this vid.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cY3TzCgRmY. This also leads me into a question about thunder. I have seen thunder hit multiple times, but why does it do that? when are the circumstances? does anyone know?

2nd vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtrdY5-jOw

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
I think thunder hits mulyiple times if they are close enough to you and in the air. The thunder bolt coming down into them pushes them into the shockwave that occurs when the thunder hits you maybe? Unless you mean the bolt hitting more than once.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
well, i have had them where i thunder on the ground, they weakly push me away right as the thunder is coming down, and then the bolt hits 2-3 times. so idk what happens, what causes it.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
I think I can explain that then as it has happened to me. The thunder pushes them into the ground and they bounce off to hit by the thunder once or even twice. It happens very quickly though.
Oh yeah, and I wanna rematch someday, when I can actually play a good game.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
i think you just are crazy stealth lolol but this deserves some testing i 'll help u once i get internet <_<

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
well, if the 2nd hit didn't hit then it would have killed i believe. from watching the video, i think jeds held on the ledge to long and got hit into the stage thus allowing him to be hit again by a waning thunder that nair out of.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yes it would have been a quick kill. generaly the nair is there to add damage, which is all it has ever done for me, just this time it was a spectacular kill.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
Nice kill. About thunder hitting twice, I dunno (too late for me to think about it, maybe tommorow).

gallax

Smash Hero
i looked at this very closely and i have figured it out. if you guyts watch, the red pika gets hit by the bottom of the thunder while he is hangin on the ledge. once the red pika gets hit by the thunder the pika gets sent at an angle where the thunder is in its path again. its a simple matter of hitback off the ledge and into the thunder again.

now as for the knockback thing, im gonna go look into that more.

neji32

Smash Lord
In case no one noticed (or maybe im wrong) the thunder hit him in his invincible phases. Unless the pika tried to get up? Even then he would of only been hit by the "second hit"

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
That. Looks... painful. The Red Pika jumped from 102 to 146 damage in what, around a second and a half?

If my calculations are right:
Red Pika was at 102% at the start.
11%? from one of the Thunder hits. Looked like the bottom of the Shockwave. (113)
33% somehow from the remainder. That consists of the second shock and the Nair. Seeing that Nair does around 12% on average for the first hit, that leaves us with an extra 21% for the rest of the Thunder.

....None of it adds up. I mean, I can see it somewhat this way if sticker boosts were available in Wi-Fi, but they normally aren't, are they? This is some crazy **** though...

gallax

Smash Hero
this is an interesting question...does thunder cause more damage below/on the side/of in the electric part? i think below it causes more damage...but how much more?

K 2

Smash Lord
wow, that's really neat. I need to try that out on my friends. That would be another great edgeguarding tool, in addition to pika's already beastly offstage edgeguarding abilities

5ive

Smash Champion
Okay everyone.
I just pulled this off while standing on the ledge.
I thundered just as my opponent did an edge attack, then i mashed a, resulting into a thunair.

We tried this again, and we found out if you get attacked right as you thunder, the thundering animation cancels, and you can do any attack. So far, this can only be canceled into a nair, and a neutral a.

Very situational.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, that has happened to me a few times, but it woudl always be with a ranged attack so i wouldn't be able to retaliate.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
and there is no proof of that as of yet. the guys that were hit were hanging onto the ledge when they got hit, waiting out the thunder.

you seem to think you know a lot mister E.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, for only having 7 posts, you can't have solved much, at least on these boards. Not saying you aren't smart, just saying 7 posts is at most 7 problems.

Top Bottom