• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thunder + Nair

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Another mystery solved by Mister_E was a joke, learn to smile...

But seriously, my DI'ing theory is probably the best theory out there. Know of any better explanations?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
How about thunder doesn't have immediate knockback, has a little histun (like samus's beam) and before they flew away, the nair hit them.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the thing is the thunder holds them in place for some weird reason (maybe DI, maybe not) and the consecutive hits keep them in place. it actually hits pretty frequently, a few times per second, so the hitstun doesnt matter. the thunder hiting them slows down the thunder animation, but not you, so you get out a little earlier relative to the thunder,making the nair seem to come out quickly.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
hey, I just pulled off the Thunder + Nair Combo~

it was near the middle of the stage, and my opponent (metaknight) was just under me. I just happened to KO him with it ^_^

Zylar

Smash Ace
Hey, did anybody else notice how the knockback from the nair/thunder or whatever occurs during the final animation of the thunder, NOT during the actual spinning of the nair.
I could be wrong but...
It looks like the sideways flipping animation is finishing while the player is hurt, and then pika spins nair when the opponent is nowhere near!
Even if I'm wrong with that maybe the nair was a kind of redirecting the di of the oppenent being hit by thunder? Like bouncing off a wall?!?!?
I've also seen something like this during my games, when a weak killing move KOs right after a kickbutt killing move was landed. An (bad) example: Ganondorf neutralbs a jigglypuff. Said jigglypuff goes diaganol, but say pika's nair/fox's reflector/ falco's forward A hits (Notice the weak killer move must be ariel because jigglypuff is in the air. DUH Zylar!!!) and the jigglypuff diaganolly flys the opposite way.
Even this, which is more broad, seems situational. I dunno, gotta try it out and see sometime.
Just another theory.
But the Thunair is hands down Pikachu's new kickbutt coolest way to KO. AWESOMEST FIND BESIDES QAC!!!!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
it is. ive known about this for a long time lol i jsut never got the chance to study it extensivly. i know pretty much all that muhz knows atm. something about the tip of the thunder causes it, but idk why.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Thunder has a crazy hitbox. An intense vertical hitbox but a deceptive horizontal hitbox. Its horizontal hitbox has been known to send the opponent in angles ranging 0-45 degrees (directly up to up-forward) and 135-180 degrees (forward-down to directly down).

Zylar

Smash Ace
Maybe the tip doesn't refresh the hitbox, but they are three separate hitboxes (Cloud, thunder, floor/pika explosion.)
This would make sense since if the programmers didn't envision the possibility of multiple hits from this move.

I dunno, it's all theory crafting for someone without a capturing device.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
but the cloud is never near you. look at my first vid of thunair, the last kill shows me doing a thunder which hits 3 times for about 30 damage then i hit with a nair right after the third hit. lol might want to take this to muhz thread. i was bumping this for reference.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
but the cloud is never near you. look at my first vid of thunair, the last kill shows me doing a thunder which hits 3 times for about 30 damage then i hit with a nair right after the third hit. lol might want to take this to muhz thread. i was bumping this for reference.
I have noticed that often when the ending part of the thunder hitbox connects with the opponent, they get sent directly upwards. Your toon link opponent got struck by the hitbox twice. First time was sent straight up and then at a 45 degree angle.
It's hard to recreate this. It requires almost inhuman planning to pull off, or just plain luck.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Hard to tell since the thunder comes out of it, instead of hitting something then ending, like thunair and aftershock.

Maybe multiple rows of hitboxes in the thunder???? Naw

The thunder on the first vid did 32% that's without the nair. So a three hit thunder + nair = 44%

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I saw it hitting twice.
I stopped the vid at just the right time, before the nair hit at 0:04.
The first part of the thunder hit Toon Link from 93 to 102%, then hit again instantly from 102 to 111%. Then the nair brought him from 111 to 124%.

Zylar

Smash Ace
So twice hit thunder does 18% + nair = 31%

We've got a 13% difference between twice hit and three hit thunder.

The first hit in the three hit thunder did 11%, the second and third did 21% too fast to see in between.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yeah, I was looking at the wrong vid.

I think whenever thunair happens the first hit from the thunder sends them straight up.
It really shows that thunder has a deceptive horizontal hitbox.

Top Bottom