• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Release to Spike Against Thirteen Characters (Including MetaKnight AND Snake!)

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yep, More Grab Release good news for Yoshi. Yoshi can Grab Release to Fair spike Multiple characters, but most importantly, MetaKnight! All you need to do is just grab them when their near the ledge (Or Chaingrab them there), on release, Run off the ledge or Shorthop depending on the character and do an Fair (Dair on Lucas/Ike) as soon as you leave the edge. The closer you are to the ledge, the better the result.

Old Video of the Original Six (MetaKnight, Sheik, Fox, Wolf, Squirtle, Ganondorf):
http://files.filefront.com/YoshiSpikewmv/;11540443;/fileinfo.html

Inescapeables

MetaKnight: MetaKnight is probably the hardest of the 6, but it's MetaKnight, so who cares! If you time the Fair perfectly (A few frames after as soon as you leave the edge), then he'll be spiked, no matter what he does.

Vid: http://files.filefront.com/YshMKFairwmv/;11567549;/fileinfo.html

Note: A Fair attempt from right on the Edge is rather hard to do and is limited depending on MetaKnight does, but if you don't want to risk it, then you can just fall, and then follow it up with a Rising Nair. It can kill fresh and Sweetspoted at about 85%, and is 4 Times easier to do!

Snake! Yep, Snake can be gimped extremely well also! First of all, here's a Video: http://files.filefront.com/SSBBYoshiSnakewmv/;11626596;/fileinfo.html

First thing first:
DO NOT CHEW! Chewing gives him back his UpB. Anyways, first thing is to get him on the Ledge, which can be done easily with ChainGrabbing. Now as soon as you release him, he can do one of 4 things. Here's a Rough estimate of his options:

Yellow: The Release from Yoshi to the point where Snake Recovers
Red: Double Jumping right away, will only reach the ledge and any interruption by you or himself with force to use his Cypher
Pink: Double Jump and using Cypher, Can be interupted by an Nair or Fair to make him go back and lower
Green: Delaying the Jump. Will never reach the ledge even with the Double Jump, and forced to use Cypher.
White: Cypher as soon as he recovers, will only reach the ledge, which can be snagged easily. If he fights back or Airdodge's, he dies

He can still C4 his way back (But it's very hard to do from a release!), but be ready to grab when he gets back up. It also does heavy damage to himself, and sometimes he'll be at over 150% before he can make it back safely! (If he makes it back at all, that is >_>)

Also, you can grab him before he can cancel and grab the ledge, which results in a Cypher Grab Break and killing him!

Ganondorf: First of all, if he tries anything (Fight back, Airdodge), he is dead, as demonstrated in the first part with him. He can still get away if he Double Jumps it, but only if your timing is alittle off.

Wolf: Wolf is pretty tricky because it requires Delayed timing. However once you get that down, it's pretty easy to do. Also just like Ganondorf, if he tries anything to defend himself, he's basically dead (Unless he has wicked control on his UpB)

Remember Delay the runoff by a bit, or else you'll do it too soon.

Squirtle: Pretty easy, but you need to react right away. Also pretty hard to sweetspot.

Sheik: Sheik is almost perfect for this. Only problem is that you can't Chaingrab Her (Or him >_>). Also it's alittle hard to sweetspot her than the others.

Fox: Same thing as Sheik, but easier.

Falco: *Update!* Yep! Falco's Fair Spike is indeed inescapeable! Just like MetaKnight and the others, If Yoshi reacts perfectly (Which is only possible offline), Yoshi can hit Falco exactly 1 Frame after he recovers from the release. What makes this better is that if you cancel out his Double Jump, he dies at ANY PERCENT!

Effective Mentions

Link: *Update* Fair doesn't really work that well anymore, but Dair does. Only problem is that unless you are quick to Edgehog, it will rarely kill him.

Diddy: Diddy is also one that puts him into a rough position. A Short Hop Fair is almost very Likely to Spike him, but he can go low. Only problem for Diddy as it makes it more likely for him to be Edgehog. He can also take him with you with his SideB, but Fair can usually beat it out.

Bowser: While he has some options, they all make him very vulnerable, and any type of ShortHop spike is almost certain death. He is also Bowser, and thus a Huge Target

Lucas: From Release, you can Short Hop Dair him, which is inescapeable. He will have a Tough UpB back to the stage though, which is still quite possible to do

*Update* Turns out it's not escapeable :( . Still effective though

Ike: I Spike for my Friends! Just like Lucas, you Dair instead of Fair, and relying on his poor recovery for the kill, you can also follow it up with a Footstool! Just look out for his Aether though

--------------------

The "Sweetspot"

There is a sweetspot on the stage, which you will have 100% Hitrate on MetaKnight, Wolf, Ganondorf, and Squirtle. The ideal spot is just near the edge, but not on it. Basically it's where the final "Arrow" Point is on Final Destination.

The Red Arrows mark the sweetspot.

What it does is that it makes Yoshi the perfect timing, distance, and height when he reaches his opponent at perfect. They can't do anything to react in time if Yoshi is in this spot.

--------------------

Spiking Chart KO Percents, for your enjoyment.

All Stages for Non-MetaKnight's:
Sheik: 21%
Ganondorf: 32%
Fox: 7%
Wolf: 17%
Squirtle: 10%
Link: 30%
Falco: 0% :D
Bowser: 30%

KO %'s for MetaKnight (Average is 48%):
Final Destination: 47%
Battlefield: 48%
Delfino Plaza - Main Platform: 48%
Delfino Plaza - Shine Spire: 48%
Delfino Plaza - Building: ???
Yoshi's Island (Brawl): 49%
Halberd - Platform: 51%
Halberd - Deck: 51%
Lylat Cruise: 46% (When Ship is Levelled)
Pokemon Stadium 2: 48%
Castle Siege - Left Side Tower: 48%
Castle Siege - Right Side Tower: ???
Castle Siege - Underground: 48% (Levelled)
Distant Planet - Right Side: ???
Smashville: 47%
Pictochat: 46%
Corneria - Left Side: 53% (It even kills him on a Non-Sweetspot. How cool is that!)
Corneria - Right Side: 48%
Pokemon Stadium 1: 48%

Anyways, Enjoy.

Scala

Smash Ace
Whoah, counterpick FD vs a ganon and if you get a grab anywhere at 50% he's dead. Could there possibly be any more ****?

What happens vs the rest of the cast? Would you be able to sh fair right away for a spike?

Mmac

Smash Lord
What happens vs the rest of the cast? Would you be able to sh fair right away for a spike?
You can attempt for a SH Fair against Yoshi's other CG'ables, but they can get back just fine with a DJ+Airdodge. Still good to use though. These ones are spiked no matter what if you do it perfectly.

Also I did a KO Chart. MetaKnight is based on when he gets KO'ed from the Spike, while the other are dead because they can't reach the ledge from their recovery. Not to mention you can easily Edgehog those 5 anyways.

Edit: Oh, I also made a handy KO % Chart!

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Wow good work! I wish the wolf one was more accurate! With him though maybe we should just try and get the neutral B off the edge... It seems a tad more accurate. Wow.. Cant wait to test this.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Wow good work! I wish the wolf one was more accurate! With him though maybe we should just try and get the neutral B off the edge... It seems a tad more accurate. Wow.. Cant wait to test this.
Thank you, and with Wolf, I find it eaisier to just Nair him, but the Fair and Dair work just as well. And the Nair will most likely kill him because he will be too far to recover. But you have too have a good read on your opponent or else he may recover

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL Mmac is too good!

I actually did this at the Buffalo tournament last weekend to a few Meta Knights. Just run off the stage and forward air. It's so YES.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Hey mmac do you mind if I copy and paste this on the CG list thread so it can be stickied
No, I rather not, It's..... different.

what people don't realize is that all 6 of these are inescapeable if you time it right and position yourself on the ledge correctly.

I'll get some pics up what I mean on the ledge thing

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Its used with a grab though so it can be added just to be a finisher or a way to end the grab at the end.

yea its different but it still has to do with a grab.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Are you sure this is inescapable? Did you try making your friend DI up and away from the stage at the release, possibly smash DI as well?
It's a release grab, and just like the Chaingrabs, you can't add DI until you regain control of your character.

By the time most characters are in control, Yoshi will already be next to him, moments before he's spiked

Bwett

Smash Ace
It's a release grab, and just like the Chaingrabs, you can't add DI until you regain control of your character.

By the time most characters are in control, Yoshi will already be next to him, moments before he's spiked
I understand what common sense says. All I'm asking is whether or not you tested it ;) I mean, I've done this before and usually try it once each game, but afterwards, MK's usually DI out of it...unless I'm just timing it wrong lol

Chaco

Never Logs In
Mmac you make my day brighter....

Specially with that tongue post. XD

But awesome research! ^___^

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
The picture is wrong Mmac, the one that states he is too far from the edge, if he SHs he can make it in time. But if you are on the edge, don't SH

Mmac

Smash Lord
Sad News, MetaKnight might beable to escape with tornado as someone pointed out to me. I couldn't test very much, but early test seem to be positive. I'll test more, but I found a temporary solution to it by just waiting and hitting him with a timed Fsmash (Invincibility Frames FTW!)

The picture is wrong Mmac, the one that states he is too far from the edge, if he SHs he can make it in time. But if you are on the edge, don't SH
No, if he's off the ledge alittle bit, then he'll get Full Airspeed as soon as you leave the ledge, and can follow up earlier.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Wow, that's hard against MK. It's easy if you have the few inches of spacing, but that's rarely gonna happen in a real match. It requires really strict timing on the edge or else MK can double jump out, and I'm pretty sure it can put Yoshi in a position to be footstooled if you miss.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to see if he can use any other aerials in this fashion? He might be able to do some similar stuff to other characters.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Timing is Timing. Wario Infinite requires lots of Timing, but people seem to get the hang of it right now.

And I'm an idiot -_ -. The Ledge thing does NOTHING! you have the same Airspeed no matter where you are. I think it just an illusion because it helps you time better

Mmac

Smash Lord
Against Ganondorf and Squirtle, yes

You can't Chaingrab Fox, Wolf, and Sheik, so they will be much tougher to get to the ledge

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Timing is Timing. Wario Infinite requires lots of Timing, but people seem to get the hang of it right now.

And I'm an idiot -_ -. The Ledge thing does NOTHING! you have the same Airspeed no matter where you are. I think it just an illusion because it helps you time better
Told you. :/

Mmac

Smash Lord
Told you. :/
And I'm an idiot again for listening to you. - _-

While it is right that no matter where you are, it doesn't affect the airspeed, it's still important because his running speed is slightly faster than his airspeed. If he's in the sweetspot, it makes the distance, timing, and height all perfect.

d*mn yoshi annoying :grrr:
O_o A Spy!

Edit: I forgot, Tornado doesn't work

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
And I'm an idiot again for listening to you. - _-

While it is right that no matter where you are, it doesn't affect the airspeed, it's still important because his running speed is slightly faster than his airspeed. If he's in the sweetspot, it makes the distance, timing, and height all perfect.

O_o A Spy!

Edit: I forgot, Tornado doesn't work
I don't quite understand how I was wrong then. If his running speed is faster, than if you are alittle farter from the edge than ontop of it, you'd make it at relitivly the same time seeing as how you have to fast fall when you are farther away. =_=

Top Bottom