• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OH SNAP! v4.0 - Sexcellente Southwest ROYAL RUMBLE! [11-22-2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord

Please constantly check this first post as I will be frequently updating it with new participants, side tournament propositions, crew battle status, OOS housing assignments, and money matches!

Date:
Saturday, 22 November 2oo8 *

Time:
  • Registration - 1o:oo am
  • Tournament - 12:3o pm
University of Oklahoma, The Heritage Room in the Oklahoma Memorial Union

Address:
900 Asp Ave. #428
Norman, OK 73069

Registration Fees:
All-Purpose Venue Fee - $5.oo
  • Brawl Singles - $1o.oo
  • Brawl Doubles - $1o.oo (per team)
  • Brawl Singles Low Tier Face-Off - $5.oo
  • Melee Singles - $5.oo
  • Melee Doubles - $5.oo (per team)
  • Brawl State Crew Battle - $???
Player Requirements & Requests:
  • all ages (toddlers and the elderly will not be sandbagged and will be 3-stocked with wild abandon)
  • please bring your own controller
  • players who supply the tournament with setups (Wii, TV, game) will be eligible to void their entry fee
  • players with recording capabilities are encouraged to bring the necessary gear to make sure their pwnage-dishing gets immortalized on YouTube
Rules:
For the sake of consistency, the SBR Recommended Rule Set will be observed for the Brawl portion of this event. Here are the basics:

• 3-stock
  • 8-minute timer
  • double elimination
  • items are set to "Off" and "None"
  • all sets will be determined in Best of 3 matches; Best of 5 will be used to determine the victor in Winner's, Loser's and Grand Finals
  • in the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • no player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players
  • in team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage
  • stalling is banned
Stage List:

Neutral Stages
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokémon Stadium #1
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island
Counter-Pick Stages
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Corneria
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Jungle Japes
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Norfair
  • Pictochat
  • Pirate Ship
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Rainbow Cruise
Out-of-State Arrangements:
In the interest of reviving state crew battles, Texas will be our main focus, although players from other states are absolutely welcome to participate as well. Whether you decide to fly, drive, carpool, or take the bus, we want to at least quell the dent that a trip like this will make in your wallets by offering free housing for the weekend. We want as many of you guys as possible to come up and play with us, and we are more than willing to work with you guys in whatever other way possible to make the endeavor as smooth and pleasant for everyone.

...and in the event that we get enough out-of-state representation from Texas (or any other state in attendance), we will commence with crew battles immediately following the tournament(s). I just need confirmation from enough of you guys so that I can go ahead and tack on crew battle rules and make this whole thing legit.

Hanson Le
(214) 929-4497

You can also find me (or most of my other compatriots) milling around the Oklahoma thread or pretty much any of the other Texas threads, as well.

A Brief Explanation on the Fees:
This event will be hosted by one of my student organizations on campus, the Vietnamese Student Association. A portion of this tournament's proceeds will go towards club funds and recouping venue rental costs ($75-100). The venue will be renting out to us four TVs (two outfitted with VCRs), at $15 each. We are expecting to exceed well over 40 participants, and after much deliberation we have decided that the $5 all-purpose venue fee should be more than enough to cover these expenses.

This also means that neither I or VSA will be taking any money whatsoever out of the pot of any of the three events. As previously stated, the absolute minimum amount of participants will be 40 people (for Brawl Singles), so that will be at least $400 in the pot for Top 3 (but even more likely for Top 5, since I'm determined to crush the participation rate of my last tournament by a landslide). I believe a total of $15 to play for a chance to win up to $250+ in cash is a fair deal for all parties involved.

Mission Statement:
I hosted my first ever tournament at the beginning of August, and managed to yield a modest but successful 30-man turnout. Now that school's back in session, I'm aiming for double that amount. Oklahoma's been bursting at the seams with tournament activity these last several months, and we want the entire country to know that we are well on our way to becoming a serious competitive state. To neighboring states in the Southwest: please come out and support our fledgling state with your participation. I fathom you all will be very surprised with the competition, and I promise that you will not leave unfulfilled.

I'm determined to make this the biggest Super Smash Bros.: Brawl Tournament the state has ever seen. Currently, the number to beat is 57 people, and I think that's a reasonably attainable goal to meet.

Confirmed Participants:
If any of you posting in this thread will either make it known in future posts or comb through your previous posts and edit them, I can start compiling a list of people attending so that others looking at this invitation can get a quick head count of who is already coming. Also, it will be easy for others to get a glance at any brand-name exports possibly making an appearance from other states.

I guess I should also mention that this is not a tier list. =)

Oklahoma
  1. Le THieN (bananas)
  2. King GT (Snake, Marth, Sonic)
  3. PhLo (Snake, Game & Watch)
  4. SARS Pirate (Wario, Snake)
  5. Gravity (ROB)
  6. TypEX (Falco, Ganondorf)
  7. Vegafuse (Captain Falcon)
  8. Zinth (Marth, Meta Knight)
  9. Young Deezy (Marth)
  10. Smores (Kirby)
  11. Pipp (Toon Link)
  12. Chuck Nasty (Pokémon Trainer, Meta Knight)
  13. LionHeart (Yoshi, Bowser)
  14. J0S3 (Pit)
  15. Walrus (Fox)
  16. Zorgon (Ike)
  17. Yamz (Ike)
  18. wut? (Snake)
  19. Shade (Wolf, Falco, Zelda)
  20. KOS-MOS (Peach, Zero Suit Samus)
  21. Po Pimpus (Luigi)
  22. Marc Madness (Kirby, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer)
  23. PwT (Link)
  24. Immo (Toon Link)
  25. Scud (Pikachu)
  26. Hazygoose (Ike)
  27. Monshou no Nazo (Marth)
  28. KP (Marth, Ike, Toon Link)
  29. DAM (Wario, Marth)
  30. GMo (Falco, Donkey Kong)
  31. Bwamp (Meta Knight, ROB, Olimar, Donkey Kong)
  32. Pay$ (Mario, Meta Knight)
  33. Rasta Imposta (Jigglypuff)
  34. Tatsuman (Sonic, King Dedede)
  35. Auddy (Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Samus)
  36. The Deadman (Lucario, Ganondorf, Meta Knight)
  37. D-Rey (Link, Meta Knight)
  38. Akasuna no Sasori (Random)
  39. Count Chocula (Wario)
  40. Pooky Panorama (Game & Watch)
Texas
  1. Hylian (Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Falco)
  2. Xyro (Samus)
  3. Sethlon (Falco)
  4. Bwett (Yoshi, Falco)
  5. Fogo (King Dedede)
  6. d4Ba (Falco, Meta Knight, Snake)
  7. Shuz (Wolf, Kirby)
  8. Dojo (Meta Knight)
  9. Santi (Toon Link)
  10. Ice (Snake)
  11. Infinity (Meta Knight)
  12. BadNewsBears (Pikachu)
  13. Foursaken (Wario)
  14. Wotts (Zero Suit Samus)
  15. Cake (Fox, Game & Watch)
  16. Roy_R (Marth)
  17. Phoenix Alpha (Lucas)
  18. DallasPhat (Marth)
  19. Sei (Lucario)
  20. SABER (Marth)
  21. Joose (Pokémon Trainer)
  22. Waka (Game & Watch, ROB)
  23. Angel (Snake, Falco)
  24. HonKY (Donkey Kong)
  25. KeiTH (Sheik)
  26. Arikado (Falco, Game & Watch)
  27. greatness_007 (Kirby)
  28. Kown (Pit)
  29. Furbs (Yoshi)
  30. Melee1 (Ice Climbers)
  31. Ultimate Razer (Snake)
  32. Nefarious (Toon Link)
  33. Jimbo (Pit)
  34. T-Rex (Snake)
  35. Mr. 3000 (Sonic, Ike)
  36. JoWii (Random)
  37. JoWii #2 (Random)
  38. OmegaKoopa (Bowser)
Kansas
  1. Affinity (Meta Knight, D3)
  2. Attackstorm (Falco)
  3. Domo (Meta Knight)
  4. KY (Pit, Marth, Peach)
  5. Royal Nynja (Diddy)
  6. Clel (Marth)
  7. Stealth Raptor (Pikachu)
  8. InfernoRage (Random)
  9. Steeler (Pokémon Trainer)
  10. ChaosTheory (Lucas)
  11. Zeton (Fox)
  12. Lil' Azen (Lucario)
  13. Zhao (Random)
  14. Holms (Kirby)
  15. The Irish Guy (Ice Climbers)
  16. Artik (Snake)
  17. Duck (ROB)
  18. Jace (Falco, Pit)
Utah
  1. X (Sonic)
  2. X2 (Random)
  3. X3 (Random)
  4. X4 (Random)
Colorado
  1. Timotee (Ness, Wario)
  2. Nite$ (Random)
  3. Ryyudo (Falco, Lucas)
Arizona
  1. South Paw (HollaBack, Young'n)
Money Matches!:
  1. Le THieN vs. Xyro ($5)
  2. Le THieN vs. Shuz ($5)
  3. Le THieN vs. Infinity ($5)
  4. Hylian vs. Oklahoma (26 players * $10 = $260)
  5. Dojo vs. Oklahoma ([26 players * $10] + [$10 from Hylian for every player that wins] = $520)
  6. Fogo vs. Heathens Who Have Strayed from the Righteous Path of Fogo Magic (their souls)
  7. SARS Pirate vs. Hylian (RCMM; $5)
  8. SARS Pirate vs. TGM/Xyro ($5)
  9. SARS Pirate vs. Dr. Mario Guy ($5)
  10. Gravity vs. SARS Pirate ($5)
  11. Gravity vs. TGM/Xyro ($5)
  12. Gravity vs. Fogo ($10)
  13. Gravity vs. Shuz ($5)
  14. Gravity vs. Lee Harris ($5)
  15. Gravity vs. Foursaken ($5)
  16. Foursaken vs. Po Pimpus ($5)
  17. Shade vs. Hylian (Mega/Curry/Fast/Light/Metal/Items On/No Final Smash/Tiny/20-stock/2.0 damage/Big Blue/Captain Falcon ditto; $50)
Misc. Money Matches:
  1. Hylian vs. SARS Pirate ($20 amateur wrestling MM)
  2. Hylian vs. SARS Pirate ($20 swimming MM)
  3. Hylian vs. SARS Pirate ($20 football, 30-yard length field MM)
OH SNAP! 2008 Arm-Wrestling Rematch Grand Finals:
  • Le THieN vs. Bwett (for all the marbles, and sweet vengeance for this unfortunate defeat)

Out-of-State Housing Assignments:

Le THieN
2900 Oak Tree Ave. #4303
Norman, OK 73072
(214) 929-4497

1. Hylian
  2. Xyro
  3. Roy_R
  4. Sethlon
  5. Tyle
  6. DugFinn
  7. T-Rex
  8. Mr. 3000
  9. Ultimate Razer
  10. Kown
  11. Furbs
  12. Nefarious
  13. greatness_007
  14. Cesar
  15. Kalo
SARS Pirate
2900 Oak Tree Ave. #5301
Norman, OK 73072
(504) 231-6099

1. ???
  2. ???
  3. ???
Scud
(405) 274-9440

Friday Night:
  1. Affinity
  2. BadNewsBear
  3. Light
  4. Wotts
  5. Sei
  6. SABER
  7. Joose
  8. Waka
  9. Angel
  10. KeiTH
  11. d4Ba
  12. Melee1
Saturday Night:
  1. DPhat
  2. d4Ba
  3. Melee1
  4. Fogo
  5. Bwett
  6. Phoenix Alpha
  7. UTD Zac
  8. Foresaken
  9. Kado
  10. Infinity
  11. Shuz
  12. Ice
  13. Dojo
  14. Santi
  15. Cake
Hazygoose
108 Willow Branch Rd.
Norman, OK 73072
(405) 476-1737

1. DekaR
  2. Kash
  3. Ax
  4. JT!
  5. HIV
  6. Random Kid
GMo
510 S. University Blvd. #35
Norman, OK 73069
(405) 474-3123

1. ???
  2. ???
  3. ???
DAM
  1. ???
  2. ???
  3. ???
Zinth & Shade
1400 Asp Ave.
Norman, OK 73072
(405) 641-8496 / (405) 397-1082

1. ???
  2. ???
  3. ???
  4. ???
Equipment Tracking List:

Televisions
  1. Oklahoma Memorial Union [Wii/Brawl by TypEX!]
  2. Oklahoma Memorial Union [Wii/Brawl by Foursaken!]
  3. Oklahoma Memorial Union [Wii/Brawl by Hazygoose!]
  4. Oklahoma Memorial Union [Wii/Brawl by Tatsuman!]
  5. DallasPhat [w/Full Setup!]
  6. DallasPhat [Wii/Brawl by Phoenix Alpha!]
  7. Inferno Rage [w/Full Setup!]
  8. Inferno Rage [w/Full Setup!]
  9. Inferno Rage [w/Full Setup!]
  10. Hylian [w/Full Setup!]
  11. Hylian [w/Full Setup!]
  12. Jamie Nguyen [Wii/Brawl by KOS-MOS!]
  13. Jamie Nguyen [Wii/Brawl by GMo!]
  14. DugFinn w/Full Setup!]
  15. DugFinn w/Full Setup!]
  16. TramAnh Lai [Wii/Brawl by Sethlon!]
  17. Diane Wang [Wii/Brawl by Kalo!]
  18. BadNewsBear [w/Full Setup!]
  19. SARS Pirate [Wii/Brawl by Infinity!]
  20. Kalo [w/Full Setup!]
  21. Zinth [w/Full Setup!]
  22. King GT [w/Full Setup!]
  23. Stealth Raptor [w/Full Setup!]
  24. Angel [w/Full Setup!]
  25. Sei [w/Full Setup!]
  26. Furbs [w/Full Setup!]
  27. Po Pimpus [w/Full Setup!]
Miscellaneous
  1. Oklahoma Memorial Union Catering (2 VCRs)
    [*Le THieN (VCR, 2 power strips)
  2. Smores (VCR)
  3. Xyro (recording equipment)
  4. Tatsuman (recording equipment)
A Taste of Things to Come:
Please constantly check this first post as I will be frequently updating it with new participants, side tournament propositions, crew battle status, OOS housing assignments, and money matches!

* This date is officially finalized. Mark your calendars!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hopefully I can make this.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely going to this...
Green Hill as a counter pick!
That's like an automatic "I'm coming"

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I will help offer housing for I guess three people!

Hanson, you should put on the first post info about us housing.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Only some of the entry fees are going to the club and then 2nd and 3rd (and maybe more if they're cool but probably not) also get money...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dr. DD, the university is huge man (well, not TX huge, but you know). We're bound to get in curious on lookers to sign in. There will be a large enough turnout to draw in crowds of people especially if Thien and I PR as well as we think we will. We will spam the **** out of facebook, put up fliers, and lose to random people in the university in order to bolster their confidence only to **** them afterwards.

This will be beautiful. And I'm sure kids from outside of OU will come as well.

We're going to make sure this tourney is more than worth your time. We chose this date specifically because TX players requested it. This tourney is designed to benefit TX, and that's the long and short of it. All OU students that are going to this are sacrificing something pretty important in order to make it. We'll make it big man.

spades

Smash Cadet
OSU's campus will also be advertised fairly heavily.

Speaking of which, hanson, when you get the fliers, could you email me a copy so i can post them here in Stillwater?

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
give me this weekend, hanson, and i'll revamp your graphic, or make a completely new one.

also...i might make this since i'll most likely be home >.>;

edit: to whoever's wondering, OU has 30k people so it's nothing to gawk at. college kids+video games=huge turnout if it's advertised well and in advance. again, hanson, if you want me to make a flyer i'll do that this weekend too with my old photoshop skills ^.^ just pm me or AIM me what all you want on there and i'll design it.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Needless to say i have terminated my plans to go to Va for this weekend. I will buy my bus ticket on october 1st to OKC. If i could be picked up i would pay you gas money or buy you lunch!!!!!

Crew Battles sound tasty!!!!! If not enough tx people show up, how about it be OK vs THE WORLD(all the other states). Now that would be awesome

Also, areyou gonna do the stage strike rule thingy where each player strikes a stage until there only one neutral left? if so you need to add one more stage to neutral. Oh and port town is banned!?!?!?!?!?!? no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May i recommend something? Increase 1vs1 brawl to 15$ or give ONLY the entry fee to the club thats running it. If you take away from pot, the turn out WILL be lower.

Gravity

Smash Ace
as i said before, i can give you a ride tgm.

but i cant provide housing, so depending on when you fly in well see how this works.

i just saw this
Lastly, I suck at Photoshop, if you guys can't tell (thank God Andy is colorblind). If anyone is willing an able to revise the above graphic, please lend me your expertise.
as such i demand this rule to be in effect

Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
it already is at smashfests but you know.

also hanson, if you so desire(i dont see why you wouldnt), i can add some of my own money to the pot. it wont be much, but whatever helps draw in oos.

Xyro77

yea ill try and leave on friday around 7ish or later so that way ill be in OK around 5 6 or 7am. is this ok?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
If OoS players can bring recording equipment, that would be awesome as well.

And Hanson, if you can, get a VCR from your parents <_<

We have a capture card, but I need a VCR before anything else. We also have two laptops that can record matches as well as 2 on hand cameras i think (including mine).

Accommodations will be made so long as they're sent out early! If all else fails, I'll help put up money to pay for a cab. Please travel together in groups also so we can more easily help you guys out.

Xyro77

If OoS players can bring recording equipment, that would be awesome as well.

And Hanson, if you can, get a VCR from your parents <_<

We have a capture card, but I need a VCR before anything else. We also have two laptops that can record matches as well as 2 on hand cameras i think (including mine).

Accommodations will be made so long as they're sent out early! If all else fails, I'll help put up money to pay for a cab. Please travel together in groups also so we can more easily help you guys out.
I have a laptop with pinnacle(video record progm) but i need a S video cable for it to work at its fullest. And from what i know now, me and kalo will be going to OHSNAPY4. we will ride together on the bus(GreyHound) we are buying tix in the next few days to get good deals. Last time i check round trip is like 200$....no big deal

Gravity

Smash Ace
i guess i can pick you up that early if theres somewhere we can chill in norman until the tourny starts.

yawara/brett?

if worse comes to worse call me and ill wake up and be there in like 25 minutes, the citys not that far from me.

but i should be there anyway, so yeah.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Only $100 for first place?
Updated. Sorry, my math is terrible, and I was still operating under the $5 constraints of my first tournament from weeks ago.

Speaking of which, hanson, when you get the fliers, could you email me a copy so i can post them here in Stillwater?
Count on it, as soon as I get something awesome and bad-*** from Hazygoose. =) Speakin' of which...

edit: to whoever's wondering, OU has 30k people so it's nothing to gawk at. college kids+video games=huge turnout if it's advertised well and in advance. again, hanson, if you want me to make a flyer i'll do that this weekend too with my old photoshop skills ^.^ just pm me or AIM me what all you want on there and i'll design it.
Thanks, man. My only stipulations are that it's big and red with some really bold-looking font (similar to the one I used; the font of the main title is called Showcard Gothic). I don't care what you do with the subtitle spelling out the acronym. A Smash related graphic would also be nice too. =) I'm leaving the rest in your hands.

May i recommend something? Increase 1vs1 brawl to 15$ or give ONLY the entry fee to the club thats running it. If you take away from pot, the turn out WILL be lower.
I'm afraid of making this more then $10 because I want as many people to play as possible. I'll have to disuss this further with you though because you seem to know more about entry fee mentality than I do. Also, you have first dibs at crashing at my place, so don't worry about your housing arrangements.

Gravity

Smash Ace
well, history dictates it stands for

"Oklahoma Hosts Smash, Need A Pummeling?"

but whatever.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

Unnecessary confusion aside... If I'm on a team as Sonic, it's just plain required that I be blue...

Oh and we might wanna post this in OKGamers...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dude, you should get rid of the University of Oklahoma thing.

Just put Oklahoma presents or something just to make it easier.

Smores

Smash Rookie
I am going to this for sure, I will try and get Pipp to go too.

If you want any help with 3d models for the flyer I am decent at Maya and ZBrush.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
There are enough ladies coming in from TX to give us their money!!! </me making fun of TX today>

Anyways, yeah. Hanson, you should also on the first page write down everyone who's bringing a system/tv/recording equipment just so we can get a clear idea of what will take place.

Put me down for TV/Cube.

Gravity

Smash Ace
dont know how much you care about the melee side of things, but if i were you id mention the melee rules as well. otherwise ill assume standard mlg rules. like always.

also tgm, how many people are coming with you?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
dont know how much you care about the melee side of things, but if i were you id mention the melee rules as well. otherwise ill assume standard mlg rules. like always.
Yeah, forgot about that. I'm on it.

Also, will the great, legendary Dr. Drew be attendance as well? =)

Man. I just got hella ****in' excited for this. It's going to be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom