• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only in Niagara II - November 8 - St.Catharines, Ontario #Can be unstickied#

Percon

Smash Lord
Food Notice

NO outside food or drink is allowed in the venue. For lunch, you should have time to slip out to go to Timmy's or Christina's Pizza during pools, plus there are snacks to buy at the venue.

For dinner, the venue is selling burgers and stuff from 5-7. A very good deal.

For breakfast the next morning, the same venue will be holding a breakfast. :p

Niagara Fails Presents:

A (I'm inserting the GTAN logo when Kevin's done with it) Tournament

Only in Niagara II

Many of you have heard me talk a while about this but I've finally got around to making a topic for this. This marks juuust over one year of the birth of the Niagara smash scene, so everyone from Niagara should give themselves a pat on the back for helping the community. So get ready for the biggest Niagara tournament and biggest GTAN Brawl tournament yet...

Anyway, I bet you're all waiting to hear the juicy details so... away we go!

Where?

Club LaSalle

111 Arthur Street
St Catharines, ON L2M 1H8, Canada

My house is conveniently also located on Arthur so anyone who gets housing from me will be in a good spot. :p

When?

November 8th, 2008

Assuming I get the Venue for the ENTIRE day, it's most likely going to run like so:

9:00 : I get there to start setting up

9:30 People should start piling in about now

10:00 : Registration (Singles and Doubles)

11:30 : Doubles bracket start

1:00 : Singles pools Round 1 - 16 Pools (The final doubles matches may still be on, hopefully not)

(POOLS WILL BE SEEDED BY REGION)

4:30: Singles Pools round 2 - 8 Pools of 6

6:30: Singles Bracket - 32 man

Then friendlies and crews.

Who?

I'd ask you to kindly confirm if you can come (and are participating)

So far... (* denotes unconfirmed)

Singles:

1-Percon (GTAN->Niagara)
2-KingAce (GTAN->Sauga)
3-Pyrnight (GTAN->Niagara)
4-PNDMike (Ottawa)
5-Lawlb0t (GTAN ->Niagara)
6-Millar (GTAN ->Niagara)
7-NikoK (GTAN ->Niagara) <- NOT GTA
8-Pastaboy (GTAN ->Niagara)
9-"C"let (Montreal)
10-Michelle (Miller's friend) <- WTF? She's not fat or ugly.
11-Anth0ny (GTAN->GTA)*
12-Ambrose (GTAN ->GTA)
13-JL (GTAN->GTA)
14-McGDynasty (GTAN->Niagara)
15-Xile/Xero (GTAN->Niagara)
16-buenob (Ottawa)
17-Retlaf (Ottawa)
18-Ivan Eva (Ottawa)
19-Fox (Ottawa)
20-Wolfblade (GTAN ->Niagara) <- also not GTA
21-Ayaz18 (GTAN->Niagara)
22-Zaf (Montreal)
23-Fizzi (Montreal)
24-BentoBox (Montreal)
25-Ally (Montreal)
26-Gi (GTAN->GTA)
27-TheDUD (GTAN->GTA)
28-al3x (GTAN->Niagara)
29-Switchblade (GTAN->Sauga)
30-KC (GTAN->Niagara)
31-DeLoRtEd1 (GTAN->GTA)
32-Payne (Oshawa)
33-Raidos (GTAN ->Niagara)
34-Yes! (Michigan)
35-The Answer is No (Michigan)
36-Bloohaha (Michigan)
37-Kage (Montreal)
38-HolyNightmare (Montreal)
39-4:00 (GTAN->Niagara)
40-Divine Haze (Ottawa)
41-Nukls (Ottawa)
42-HiDef (Ottawa)
43-Koka (Hamilton)
44-Conk (Hamilton) <- expect a name change
45-Nasir (GTAN->Niagara)
46-kuenzel (Grimsby)
47-Jon (Grimsby)
48-Richard (Grimsby)
49-Myles (Grimsby)
50-Culex (Hamilton)
51-Kumac (Hamilton)
52-Pyroloserkid (Brampton)
53-Andy (Brampton)
54-AvariceX (Windsor)
55-RION (Oakville)
56-Toronto Joe (Paris)
57-Mikey7 (GTAN->Sauga)
58-jr.lizardking (GTAN->Niagara)
59-nickam (GTAN->Sauga)
60-Zephamarill (GTAN->Sauga)
61-AzN99 (Chatham)
62-badd (Chatham)
63-Uber_Mage (Chatham)
64-Warchamp7 (Fort Erie)*
65-Voidious (Buffalo)
66-Mattdude (Buffalo)
67-Sliq (Sleeq)
68/69/70 - Random Brampton Dudes (Brampton)
71-Cyan (GTAN->GTA)
72- JigglesThePuff
73- SD2

Doubles:

1-Royal Crush (Percon + KingAce)
2-Asian Sensation (Ambrose + JL)
3-Team KingAce (buenob + retlaf)
4-Give it a Naner (pastaboy + Millar)
5-Double Edge (Wolfblade + Switchblade)
6-Stole your Lunch (BentoBox + Fizzi)
7-Sexual Tension (Zaf + Koka) <- lolwtf
8-Unholy Allies (Ally + HolyNightmare)
9-Team Ambrose(PNDMike + Nukls)
10-Team Deedeedeedidditydidit (Haze + HiDef)
11-for the lulz (Andy + Pyroloserkid)*
12-Dazed and Bloo (Toronto Joe + Bloohaha)
13-No name yet (KC + Lawlb0t)
14-Team 4560 (Voidius + Mattdude)
15-Sliq has all the kill moves (NikoK + Sliq)
16-Big Mac Combos (JigglesThePuff + SD2)

What?

Okay, so, we need setups. I'm going on thrusday to further investigate the venue and see how things will be setup. Hopefully they provide a few TVs because Wiis are easy to get and TVs... not so much.

Anyway, current setups:

TVs:

Percon x 2
Lawlb0t x 1
PNDMike x 1
Ambrose x 1
Ayaz18 x 1
Zaf & Crew x 4
Switchblade x 1
Pyroloserkid x 1
Koka x 1
AvariceX x 1
Voidius x 1

Wii + Brawl:

Percon x 1
Pyrnight x 1
Lawlb0t x 1
Millar x 1
PNDMike x 1
Pastaboy x 1
Ambrose x 1
Ayaz18 x 1
Zaf & Crew x 3
Switchblade x 1
Raidos x 1
Pyroloserkid x 2
AvariceX x 1
Voidious x 1

Extension cords/power bards:

Percon x a bunch I guess
Switchblade x a bunch more
Zaf and crew x 2 and 2

Why?

Because you can win some $MONIES$ and eat some #GOODIES# and buy some awesome *TshirtsS*

Prices:

15$ per entrant for singles

20$ per team for doubles

*I will be taking 75 out of the (probably singles) pot to pay for the venue. This is not very much...

Food:

There's a bar where you can bring snacks, pop and booze (if you're old enough)

We'll probably get cooks to come and make stuff between 5 and 6, you can buy burgers and stuff during that period. Also there's a pizzeria and corner store down the street.

T-shirts:

Michelle (TheDUD), GI's GF, will be selling her custom, hand-crafted, brawl-themed TSHIRTS!!

They're really quite awesome, here are the basic designs for the ones she has completed:

They'll be going for 15 bucks, a good deal if you ask me! So be sure to bring some extra cash for a nice souvenir!

How?

Okay, so RULES (mostly copypasta from smash BR):

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* STANDING INFINITES ARE BANNED

This includes DDD's standing CG on the 5 characters (Mario/Luigi/Samus/DK/Bowser) and Marth's CG on Ness/Lucas.

Out of sportsmanship, we encourage you not to use DDD's "walking infinites" on Bowser or DK

You can still:

-CG regularly, any CG where you move forward actually, except the one I mentionned above.

-Hit someone out of a grab release, such as Marth's grab > fsmash on Ness/Lucas

-Use IC chaingrabs, since you actually can mess those up, they're harder to regulate, etc.

-Yoshi's CG on Wario. Yoshi needs to move, you can't just spam gram, and it doesn't work if there's a platform above, so wario just needs use stage striking for Yoshi's or Smashville or anything that's not final D. Also, the matchup is still closer to even than, say, Marth VS Ness. Still winnable for wario.

-Standing CGs that are escapable eventually, ie. Pika on Fox.

-Wall infinite. None of the stages I'm allowing have permanent walls in them.

-Anything really just not the ones I specified

IF SOMEONE IS DOING THIS TO YOU DURING A MATCH, PAUSE THE GAME AND CALL FOR TOURNAMENT STAFF

The staff will monitor the rest of the match or set. You will BOTH receive a warning. Yes, even if you were being infinited. This is in place to keep people from abusing the system. Tournament staff may disqualify someone from a match or the entire tournament if you are caught doing a "standing infinite" or if this is abused. I know it won't be an issue, we've got a great scene with no jerks, but I just want to cover my bases. I will personally see to and heated disputes.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Neutral Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

WE ARE USING THE STAGE STRIKE SYSTEM

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages.
Stages:

Neutral

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter

Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 1
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Banned

Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Flat Zone 2
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

(I really want Port Town at Counter but I doubt anyone would agree with me :p)

BEST OF THREE, FINALS (WINNERS, LOSERS, GRANDS are best of 5)

Final Rule:

No Jean Guys!! (No Johns)

So yeah... that's the gist of it. Leave comments, give feedback on anything (rules, location, stages, etc.), and let me know if you can make it.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Put me down for a complete set up. I will be bringing a bigger TV 20-21"

I would love a Melee tourny, but the divide in the community is bad.

PND

Smash Champion
I can bring a TV and Wii + Brawl

Pools are Bo3 3 stock, right? Or 2 stock? Top 2 from pools advance? Top 4? Top _?
Just curious. Gonna talk to the lads at Friday's smashfest and hopefully give you an early estimation of the turnout from up here.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I would be interested in going, but it's gonna depend on cost, who else is going, what time we are leaving etc.

Percon

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, there ARE pools, I guess I put it in the schedule and nowhere else.

If anyone was wondering.

EDIT:

Changed some stuff in the first post

Also... food details will be added on thursday. Not 100% sure about that. Also costs are still up in the air.

Percon

Smash Lord
Yeah, all that Jazz.... you guys want 7 or 8 minutes? I'm thinking 7.

Pools WILL happen, but number of players and number of advancing players is still not finalized. It's probably gonna be 32 man bracket, but # of pools is dependent on how many people show up.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Put me down for a wii + brawl as well. See everyone there. Gunna wear my amazing new peach shirt :)

Miller

Smash Lord
What if liek OVER 9000 people show up, like my power level? How big will pools be then? Im guessing OVER 9000 amirite?

EDIT: Niko, even though we always get into arguements, lets try not to this time ^_^

KingAce

Smash Ace
i think it should be what most tournaments make you pay , $15 per person for singles and $10 per person for doubles

pools i think should just be 7 minutes so things get done quicker, or maybe even 6 because i remember at montreal all the pool matches wer only 5 minutes 3 stock and things still ran really good despite some matches going unfinished. so yea 6 or 7 minutes for pools and 7-8 minutes for brackets mayb?

PND

Smash Champion
I'd say 6 to 7 minute matches would be optimum for ensuring that all matches finish on time / no crazy hold ups. Perhaps 8 minutes in the later matches (Quarters / Semis?) so that the matches actually finish.

I like 32 man brackets. If the turnout is comparable to ToS5, I'd imagine that would mean top 4 from pools. (Just a reference)

Opinions ftw.

pastaboy

Smash Champion
ppl i wanna see there

bramton guys: 10-20( i know yo u guys only play melee but its a good chance to meet all the other smashers in the area, and compete for the hell of it)
suaga guys:10-20 (most of the casuals plus the knew guys that keep poping up on the threads i wanna see you too.)
gta 10-20( same deal^)
ottawa+montreal 10-20(i rly want to play you guys, especially cuz you have a wide veriety of mains, not just mk.)
niagara 50 (srubs give us ur money, its also a god chance to start coming out and join the scene)
americans 5-10 (its not a far drive, suck it up.)

just an estimate >_>

KingAce

Smash Ace
lol damm thats a pretty **** big attendance if all those people actually come
although ide probably expect 50+ but you never knew this could get more hype
i wanna try out my falco/ddd/kirby in this tourny :p

Anth0ny

Smash Master
ppl i wanna see there

bramton guys: 10-20( i know yo u guys only play melee but its a good chance to meet all the other smashers in the area, and compete for the hell of it)
suaga guys:10-20 (most of the casuals plus the knew guys that keep poping up on the threads i wanna see you too.)
gta 10-20( same deal^)
ottawa+montreal 10-20(i rly want to play you guys, especially cuz you have a wide veriety of mains, not just mk.)
niagara 50 (srubs give us ur money, its also a godo chance to start coming out and join the scene)
americans 5-10 (its not a far drive, suck it up.)

just an estimate >_>
lol 100+ people? We would certainly need a lot of setups for that to run smoothly :laugh:

But it would be awesome.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I'd really like to be there. But so far, it seems highly likely that I'll be taking the bus, which is not a big deal except I would need directions from the terminal and whatnot~ And I might need housing~ Good thing the date was set after most of us are done with midterms too +1.

Percon

Smash Lord
^ I didn't actually plan that but I'm glad it worked out lol

Looks like a lot of people will need housing on this one... any Niagarians wanna help out? I can keep a good # at my place but...

I've got three couches, one bed (for two), and a LOT of floor. But obviously I'd like it if it were split up...

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I can't confirm myself yet. Even if I could get the weekend off (which isn't hard), I would have a rough time with finances.

10:1 ratio is what should happen, for every 10 people 1 setup, i think thats how it works
No no no! Aim for at least a 4:1 ratio, or you will never finish this tournament!

Miller

Smash Lord
im sure other people from Quebec will be going, so you could probably get a ride with them. And yea, the lower the ratio the better. Imagine a 2:1 ratio :D

Top Bottom