• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone Underestimates Ike

•Col•

Smash Champion
Yeah... =/

I've been seeing a lot of this lately.... Nearly every other character board out there underrates Ike and don't give him enough credit. Granted, it's hard to take him seriously after all the n00bs that flocked to him when Brawl was first released...

Yes, he's not even a "great" character.... But he's not THAT bad... :urg:

It makes me sad ;__;

Anyway... Just expressing some of my thoughts...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ike is probably the most underrated character on SWF.

But I don't mind that. That just means the element of surprise is in my favor.

(In fact, that's how all my mains are... Mario, Link, and Ike...)

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Here is my match-up guide for Anyone versus Ike:

Ike is a slow character. His attacks are powerful. Don't get hit. Gimp the Side B by jumping in front of it. You have a 7-3 advantage.

Seriously, every ****ING board has that as their match-up guide. "Don't get hit" is only like the best advice ever.

(And Ike is actually a good, solid character, and it hurts on the inside when people put him in low-mid/low)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pt is way more underrated. for one, he's actually bottom tier. ;)

the thing with ike is that he's really limited when it comes to approaching, and characters with good grabs and range can take advantage of that. and defensively he's a little short handed, since he lacks a variety of quick reactive attacks.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
um... he IS low-mid tier at best. He is not the worst in the game, but he is clearly not the best.

Edit: I agree, PT is the MOST underrated character on the boards.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I know, it pisses me off too, but that's just the thing.

Ike was thought to be top tier because of his power, then when people grew a brain and actually start to DODGE, then Ike suddenly became bad. That just means that Ike's metagame needs to grow, but not a lot of people who use Ike actually bother trying to do anything other than:

-Get to 40%
-F-Smash
-F-Smash
-F-Smash "Come on, it has to hit someday!"
-F-Smash

You get my drift. The good players just has to be more known.

EDIT: PT is underrated? I NEVER got that feeling anywhere.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Here is my match-up guide for Anyone versus Ike:

Ike is a slow character. His attacks are powerful. Don't get hit. Gimp the Side B by jumping in front of it. You have a 7-3 advantage.

Seriously, every ****ING board has that as their match-up guide. "Don't get hit" is only like the best advice ever.

(And Ike is actually a good, solid character, and it hurts on the inside when people put him in low-mid/low)
Lol, so true.... D: And I still think he's pretty good in Mid tier... Maybe move up a little bit, but certainly not down to low tier... -_-

pt is way more underrated. for one, he's actually bottom tier. ;)

the thing with ike is that he's really limited when it comes to approaching, and characters with good grabs and range can take advantage of that. and defensively he's a little short handed, since he lacks a variety of quick reactive attacks.
Eh? Ike's bad at approaching? o-o And not defensive? I've always felt Ike was more of a defensive character with his crazy range and strength...

But yeah, Pokemon Trainer is pretty underrated... Personally, I think he should be in mid-tier as well... Ike is still definitely more underrated though... Proof: Many people's reactions to Ike being in mid-tier ("Wtf!?! Ikez is 2 hi in the list!! He shuld be in bottm!!")

Yeah... -_-

EDIT: At least people have a different mindset with Pokemon trainer... <_< Like Light said, people just give like one sentence ("His attacks are slow and easy to dodge") while at least with Pokemon trainer, you know each one has it's own special little tricks and "schtuff"...

Hoser

Smash Ace
He is extremely underrated. But the main reason for this is the lack of good Ike players around, and the obscene amount of noobs F-smashing everything. Go to just about any other forum, and you'll find like 10+ people who are really good with that character. But who do we have whose names bring recognition? Silven, Kirk, and Empy are pretty much the only widely known ones (though we do have other good Ike players as well, but they're not as widely known).

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ike is a lot better at defensive than offensive I told steeler this in the PT vs Ike thread.

Anyways this thread is probably as bad as those Ike is broken threads. We either have an under rated character (which is actually awesome because when they come across an Ike who can actually play they don't know what to do) or an over rated character.

I'd take underestimated over overrated any day.

Hoser

Smash Ace
I second that. It does give us an element of surprise over those who think Ike is only OMFG F-SMASH!!!!!!11111oneoneone.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ike is terrible and you should feel terrible for even considering playing as him.
Why Kirk, WHY?! :(

Ike is a lot better at defensive than offensive I told steeler this in the PT vs Ike thread.

Anyways this thread is probably as bad as those Ike is broken threads. We either have an under rated character (which is actually awesome because when they come across an Ike who can actually play they don't know what to do) or an over rated character.

Having just a little bit more smart mains would be nice, but the Ike community is alright as it is, at least we have it better than others *cough C.Falcon cough*.

As for people emphasizing the F-smash, I actually don't mind it as long as I mindgamed them into it, oh the feeling of pushing them off the stage and how they frantically airdodge but I wait for it to wear off and then BOOM HEADSHOT!!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ike does have one thing going for him.

Well...

I'll tell you when I find it >_>.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Nearly every other character board out there underrates Ike and don't give him enough credit. Granted, it's hard to take him seriously after all the n00bs that flocked to him when Brawl was first released...
Here's why:

No one is going to think they have problems against Ike for these reasons. They'll probably never run into a good one. After playing a bunch of terrible Ikes, even ones that look like they might be OK but still suck, they're going to think "must be my character." (whether the character has an advantage or not is irrelevant) For the people who play against good Ikes a lot, they'll never have trouble with anyone else who plays the character. It's kind of hard for a lot of people to take him seriously when everyone they've run into with the character absolutely sucks.

Same thing could be said for almost anyone in the lower mid and bottom tiers, to be honest. You'd find one good one for every 20+ who suck.

So the matchup advice from random people tends to read something to the effect of: 1. don't get hit, 2. gimp him (usually good advice, but not many good players just let people gimp them over and over to quite the extent that people make it out to be), 3. any piece of advice that even a barely competent player won't fall for more than once in a great while.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ike is certainly not underrated - on the contrary! Just look at his position on the tier list...an entire tier higher thanb Mario, despite being clearly the worse character...

Kirk

Smash Champion
Here's why:

No one is going to think they have problems against Ike for these reasons. They'll probably never run into a good one. After playing a bunch of terrible Ikes, even ones that look like they might be OK but still suck, they're going to think "must be my character." (whether the character has an advantage or not is irrelevant) For the people who play against good Ikes a lot, they'll never have trouble with anyone else who plays the character. It's kind of hard for a lot of people to take him seriously when everyone they've run into with the character absolutely sucks.

Same thing could be said for almost anyone in the lower mid and bottom tiers, to be honest. You'd find one good one for every 20+ who suck.

So the matchup advice from random people tends to read something to the effect of: 1. don't get hit, 2. gimp him (usually good advice, but not many good players just let people gimp them over and over to quite the extent that people make it out to be), 3. any piece of advice that even a barely competent player won't fall for more than once in a great while.
That.

And This...

Ike is terrible and you should feel terrible for even considering playing as him.
You know who you people are...

Stealth309

Smash Apprentice
Colaya, your sig and your avatar are full of pwnage and win. Vyse is one of the greatest video game characters known to man.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ike is certainly not underrated - on the contrary! Just look at his position on the tier list...an entire tier higher thanb Mario, despite being clearly the worse character...
^ These kinds post is exactly what this thread is about. Too bad I can't tell if it's meant as sarcasm or not though... :dizzy:

Colaya, your sig and your avatar are full of pwnage and win. Vyse is one of the greatest video game characters known to man.
Wow, what a relevant and totally not off topic statement! /sarcasm :chuckle:

Anyway, yes-- Vyse is pretty much the epitome of awesome

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Here's why:

This is almost entirely correct, but the thing is as follows: Ike (And Pit) are two of the characters who have a terrible reputation for being scrub magnets. One of them has a spammable projectile, the other is just super powerful. For other mid/lower characters, usually you'll see a better ratio of skilled to unskilled, as it takes some degree of game understanding to use said character (Take Ness, for example). For those, you won't find nearly as high of an amount of new players as Ike, so you wouldn't base your opinions on that.

Are you joking? Mario is terrible. Ike is good. There's quite a difference.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah, arturo pointed out to me that ike is a defensive player in the ike v pt thread, which is good because i don't think ike has much of an approach.

i can kinda understand his defense due to ike's strength and range but...it's not that hard to get around for really quick and agile characters.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
You're barking up my alley, Light...

Don't play the hypocrite.
I guess you do have a fair point. No need to insult other characters in any case.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that he's actually decent in edgeguarding, so I guess if you like caping recoveries and laughing at them, Mario is your guy.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Ike is slightly underrated. But really, why complain? Use this to your advantage.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Ike is bad and you should feel bad :( Kirk took my advice.

For the record, every matchup thread that mentions Ike automatically assumes that the character is incapable of shielding or dodging and will run headfirst into every move imaginable.

Honestly only the people who take ike seriously should talk **** about him, I have yet to find a person who goes "I'll **** on an ike" without a second thought that I havent taken or havent gone toe to toe with. It's the people who like the character or who realize that it isn't an easy matchup that I suddenly find trouble with.

And "defensive ability" isn't governed completely by owning a projectile, you try to get in on ike to land a killshot when he's playing defensive and by all means I hope you have a fun time doing it because the **** is NOT easy.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Mario has more than just the cape...

But this isn't the topic to discuss it in.
Yes... I wasn't trying to imply that Ike was better than Mario in my last post... I was just explaining how ignorant some people are...

He stated that Mario was much better than Ike as if it was some solid fact. It's clearly not, and it's most certainly debatable... He said it like it was a definite fact, when it was just his personal opinion.

Oh noooooooo... D:

I'm sorry, Kirk... ;_;

Ugh... Actually, I have a confession to make... Dx Recently, I've been more interested in Marth... I really do like Ike's playstyle, but I just don't feel confident with him anymore... Plus, Brawl Marth actually feels more like Roy was in Melee (Except with tippering, obviously...) Anyway, yeah... I did want to try and become serious with Ike, but now I just don't know anymore... :urg:

Junahu

Smash Ace
I can't use Ike, but I certainly don't underestimate him either. A good Ike will eat my stock for breakfast, because it doesn't matter how long I projectile spam him, I'll eventually have to approach to get the KO. And good Ikes will always out mindgame me

By-the-way, Vyse is awsome, but Vyze is better. "Cutlass Wrath!" ftw

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ugh... Actually, I have a confession to make... Dx Recently, I've been more interested in Marth... I really do like Ike's playstyle, but I just don't feel confident with him anymore... Plus, Brawl Marth actually feels more like Roy was in Melee (Except with tippering, obviously...) Anyway, yeah... I did want to try and become serious with Ike, but now I just don't know anymore... :urg:

No! Martha does need another fanboy following her! We need you!!

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord

This, Ike as a defensive works alot better too bad no one plays like this lol, I'm in the process of, hes underestimated yea, but hes pretty bad too

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
lol ike is horrible in competitive play. he's awesome in casuals though. I'm sure you guys haven't seen a ike win a major tournament lately.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
lol ike is horrible in competitive play. he's awesome in casuals though. I'm sure you guys haven't seen a ike win a major tournament lately.
Same could be said about any character other than MK these days though. Arguably Snake, DDD, GW too but that's all most people see ever.

•Col•

Smash Champion
By-the-way, Vyse is awsome, but Vyze is better. "Cutlass Wrath!" ftw
His name is Vize. And he's the main reason I got the game. >_> Once I fought against him though, he wasn't nearly as cool as I thought he'd be... xD

Same could be said about any character other than MK these days though. Arguably Snake, DDD, GW too but that's all most people see ever.
Very true... I mean... If Link can place in a tournament though.... Link.... LINK... The character that's towards the bottom of the low tier list... If he can place, than Ike certainly should be able to as well... >_>

(Also, I'm not trying to discredit Link or anything. He's an awesome character... And he has a very good moveset/AT's... His recovery is.... Yeah.... When you can be gimped by Captain Falcon, you know something's wrong... xD )

Not trying to discredit Cpt. Falcon either. He's awesome. :p

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Scrub magnet huh?

This is almost entirely correct, but the thing is as follows: Ike (And Pit) are two of the characters who have a terrible reputation for being scrub magnets. One of them has a spammable projectile, the other is just super powerful. For other mid/lower characters, usually you'll see a better ratio of skilled to unskilled, as it takes some degree of game understanding to use said character (Take Ness, for example). For those, you won't find nearly as high of an amount of new players as Ike, so you wouldn't base your opinions on that.
I used to main Pit when I bought the game, sometime later, I’ve migrated to Ike. Was I scrub and I didn’t know?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, nobody was an instant pro when they first got Brawl, of course we were all newbs back then...some of us might STILL be newbies. XD

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
One good thing about Ike is that Lucario mains seem to love him!:chuckle:

Idk, he's got some really good punishers for predictable enemies. Rollers get owned by usmash. Retreating fair is good for SH approachers, eruption is good coming down.:chuckle: Ike is not a noob character himself *glances at Pit* but he is an awesome noob-killer. Plus he's so fun to play.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I used to main Pit when I bought the game, sometime later, I’ve migrated to Ike. Was I scrub and I didn’t know?
I would not say that simply maining the character makes you a scrub, no. It's just that users of Ike and Pit are more likely to be scrubs than other characters. Just take a look at 'With Anyone' mode.

Top Bottom