• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone Underestimates Ike

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What about cpu? he was an instant pro and even beat ken.
Why you...you aren't making things easy for me, just who is CPU and how long did he have Brawl? (I bet if anything by instant pro you mean he got the Japanese version of Brawl.)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ugh...good grief... then he was probably "naturally" good at Brawl or something.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I would not say that simply maining the character makes you a scrub, no. It's just that users of Ike and Pit are more likely to be scrubs than other characters. Just take a look at 'With Anyone' mode.
Yeah, I know what you’re sayin’.
lol ike is horrible in competitive play. he's awesome in casuals though. I'm sure you guys haven't seen a ike win a major tournament lately.
Actually, I’ve seen an Ike finishing in third place in a major tournament (for Brazilian standards), and that really propelled me to keep fighting for my friends. Or maybe I just can’t let go of Ike.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
South America has a competitive Smash community? How long has Brawl been down there and how long after did tournaments start to come to play?

I'm rather interested.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
This is what I know about the Brazilian competitive scene:

• We are small, our “Smash Boards” currently has… 1,816 members. Most of us live around São Paulo and tournaments are held monthly;

• Our Brawl character and player ranking hasn’t even started appropriately, but our top player nowadays is Kovarish (who mains Olimar). Our top Ike player (Doctor Luigi?!) is placed high as well;

• EVO promotes tournaments in an annual event called Animecon, and the winner is invited to join the EVO tournament. Kovarish refused to join due to his lack of money, and is currently kicking *** nationally;

• If you want to know more, check our website: http://s8.zetaboards.com/1UP_Smash_Board/site/

If you’re still interested and have some problems reading Portuguese, I can ask a moderator (who is a friend of mine) for a more detailed description.

Ok… That was a little off topic. Sorry.

Edit: Play competitively since Melee and there were Brawl tournaments since the game launched.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Ike is just a fun character to play. The only reason I'm even maining him is because of FE9 and FE10, anyways.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Eh...

I've never actually truly said that Ike sucked or that Ike wasn't really much of anything. I knew he would be problematic from the start, and lo and behold, he can be a problem. I fought Rykoshet and he confirmed this.

Gothic Zelda

Smash Apprentice
^

Thats the fun of it all. No one really expects Ike to win :D then one day..BAM!
Fsmashes for lunch, amirite?

At first I didn't like him (thought he was cheap) then, once I brought a new brawl (my first was scratched up, not lettingme play him OR kirby) I picked him up and started my sweet love with him.

xion07

Smash Apprentice
Fsmashes for lunch, amirite?

At first I didn't like him (thought he was cheap) then, once I brought a new brawl (my first was scratched up, not lettingme play him OR kirby) I picked him up and started my sweet love with him.
lol I'll only do fsmashes for fun. :D But yeah, I got 2nd with him on the midnight release of Brawl. :)

•Col•

Smash Champion
Gyahh.... -__- Gettin the feeling again....

I just went to the Pokemon Trainer boards; they're discussing the Ike matchup right now... Bleh...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Don't worry about it. In cases like these, you can only really convince people by showing it yourself. Words have never mattered much when it came to match-ups.

EDIT: Huh... since when did I become a Smash Apprentice? Woot, I guess.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I don't think they particularly listened to what we had to say, but that's no worry. It's all subjective anyways.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
everyone is bias lol..lesson of life.

we like ike!! "No you don't! I'll kill you!...Like someone else!" (From Guitermaster's credit video)

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Apparentely, the Smash Back Room is discussing Ike this week. Should be interesting to see if they realize the potential of Ike based on what this board has achieved for his metagame. I hope it's not too negative or too brief since there are few, if any Ike mains contributing to the write-up.

Onxy

Smash Lord
If your character isn't top tier, chances are they are underestimated.
I disagree. At one time, everyone thought their main had an advantage vs Snake for some reason. Wasn't really underrating him, but something similar to it.

PT is probably the most underrated, although Ike is underrated too much. Would you believe that some people think that you have to average all of our pokemon's matchups for a character? (Like saying that if Squirtle had a neutral vs someone, Ivysaur had a 6/4 on someone, and Charizard had a 4/6 on someone, the matchup would be 50/50 instead of 55/45.)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Apparentely, the Smash Back Room is discussing Ike this week. Should be interesting to see if they realize the potential of Ike based on what this board has achieved for his metagame. I hope it's not too negative or too brief since there are few, if any Ike mains contributing to the write-up.
There are Ike mains in SBR? The only person I can see advocating Ike as a good character is UmbreonMow, and he seems to think Ike can destroy the majority of the cast.

I remember going to a local tournament in IL and actually had to fight someone in a 1-stock battle because the timer ran out and we had the exact same %. When I beat the MK user with jab -> jab -> pivot grab -> BThrow -> dash attack -> edgehog (he was DI'ing away, so dash attack pretty much finished him), people were like "wtf Ike can combo" :laugh:.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I went to my first tourney.
When I got there, somebody was playing Ike horribly (but he was a good Mario, I'll give him that).
He johned that Ike was slow and that he sucked, and everyone around him agreed.
Since I was early and this was friendlies, I asked if I could join.
They said yes, so I picked Ike.
GAME.
I won, easy (and I wasn't n00bish at all).
They said I was the fastest Ike they'd ever seen.
I felt so proud of myself.
I felt even better when I got through my first match with ease, which JUST SO HAPPENED to be a MK vs. my Ike.

And after that tourney (I came in third because I choked in the semi-finals), I was in a team tourney.
I rocked hard.
Until I went against someone on my skill level, and I was paired with a Luigi that didn't KO very well.
We lost, and it was so horrible because I know that if he had thought about his actions, we would've plowed through them quickly.

Next time I go, I'm taking Jiggz, Ike, Ness, and Wolf.
Most don't care about tiers, but just what they've seen.
Maining "innocent" characters and destroying with them will "prove" to them that "anyone" can be "good" in "Brawl". (Yes, I'm fully aware that Brawl didn't need quotation marks around it)

But seriously, peoples' underestimation WILL lead to their downfall.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Lol about underestimating Ike hear this:

I was doing teams and normally I didn't normally use Ike in teams but I was missing him so I used him in my next tournament match. I went against two good players and it was Ike/MK vs Falco/Shiek (My teammate is a tier *****). So yea i score an early fsmash killing shiek at 40% and that kept my team in the lead the whole match. Shiek dies first then I died but I share stocked with my teammate (Who was ready to die 147%) and Falco was at 130%. He kills of MK and then I finish of Falco with a run off fair.

They said that I was better off leaving my partner alone so that he could have finished off Falco. (Probably was but I wanted 2vs1 instead of 1vs1) Then they said Falco could have taken the win much more easily on Ike than MK, and well I said this "Don't underestimate Ike!" ;0 my story of the day. (Ike is sooo fun to use in teams)

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
If more Ike players played intelligently and used things like dair and uair, as well as other stuff other than smashes, then we might be a higher tier. Unfortunately, noobs prevent us from achieving this.

Top Bottom