• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TGA Ranking Battle #3.4 11-01-08 The retirement of SpicTom/Vigiliante BRAWL TEAMS!!!!

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
I will be retiring from smash because SF4 is just too amazing and it is going to take up most of my time. This will be the last tourney for brawl/melee so no more crazy antics from me so please go nam nam nam for me. WARIO!!!!

I am going to need set-ups for this tourney so please if you can bring any Wii's, tv's, and copies of brawl that would be great.

Time:

2pm for smash tourney

Entry Fee for singles:

$5

Pot split will be determined by the amount of people that show up

Address:

Tokyo Game Action / Playaway Lanes
5 Summer Drive
Winchendon, MA 01475
(978) 297-1295

Store Hours for Sat. the first only.
12pm-12am

TGA Games they will have avaible

BEMANI/Music Games
DDR SuperNOVA 2
DDR Extreme
DDR 5th Mix
In The Groove 2
beatmania IIDX 15 - DJ Troopers
beatmania THE FINAL
Pop'n Music 16 - Party
Pop'n Music 15 - FEVER
DrumMania V5
GuitarFreaks V5
DrumMania V3
Pump It Up New Xenesis 2
DanceManiax 2nd Mix J-Append
Para Para Paradise 2nd Mix
Taiko no Tatsujin 10
Shamisen Brothers

Fighting Games
Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter III Third Strike
Capcom vs SNK 2
Guilty Gear Accent Core
Melty Blood Act Cadenza ver B rev
King of Fighters XI
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Super Street Fighter II X
Street Fighter Zero 3
Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection

Other Games
Initial D4 (2 Player)
Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 (4 Player)
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Konami Windy Cabinet)
Mr Driller G (NeoGeo Candy 29 cabinet)
Gradius 4 (Astro City cabinet)
Espgaluda (Astro City cabinet)
Ultracade (Astro City cabinet)
Battle Gear 2
Mrs. Pacman
Air Hockey

These games will be avaible at the tourney if you want to play all of them all day then you pay $26. If you only want to play the fighters you only pay $20 for the day. How awesome are those deals there a steal. I will be trying to get a smash only fee which will be cheaper but I think you should go for the all day deals.

Brawl ruleset (Borrowed from Cort :])

-> General

Double Elimination
All matches are best of 3, winners'/losers' finals best of 5, finals best out of 7
3 stock, 7 minute limit
Ties broken by lives/percentage
Items OFF Smash Balls OFF

-> Stages

Neutral Stages: These will be on random.
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Brawl Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks available:
Delphino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Anything that is not mentioned is banned

Teams will be using the same rules as singles except friendly fire is on. NOOBS!!

General:

- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you.
- No controller mods allowed aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons allowed.
- No pausing during a match....also, please have respect for your opponent and do not do answer your phone, text, blast your iPOD, etc.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Jigglypuff's rising pound, Peach’s wall bomber, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 3 minutes...to keep things running smoothly.

Match rules:

- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit.
- All Items are OFF.
.- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing the stage has already won on that stage, unless both players agree to use that stage.
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate two of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Double blind character pick (may be called for the first game): A double blind pick is when each player secretly tells a neutral third-party what character they will use. The third party then announces the character choices, and the players must stick with their character choices.
- Advanced Slob Picks (for the second or later game in a set): For a given game, the loser of the previous game may either choose the next stage or elect to go to a random stage. The winner of the previous game may then either change character, or stay as their current character. The loser may then either change character, or stay as their current character.
-Wobbling is allowed

-> Other

Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set
if the player choosing already won on that stage.

Random Knock-Out: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the random
stages to be chosen at the beginning of the set.

Stage Banning: Each player may choose to eliminate 2 of the stages available for counterpicking.

Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go
random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may
change characters.

Double blind for character selection may be used if a player wants to.

MM DQ Rule:

1 Minutes Late – Warning
2 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
3 Minutes Late – Loss of set

-> Other Rules & Special Issues

Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc),
except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are
banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be
disqualified from the tournament.

Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use
third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you
are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to
use that controller any longer.

Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character
or indefinitely freezing them, or any glitch or trick that freezes the match
or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the
immediate forfeit of the match.

Tactics such as Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or
to manuever around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively
stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath,
is banned. Judges will be on the tournament floor can be called in at any time to
enforce this rule during a match.

You are responsible to bring your own controller. Any controller is suitable
for this tournament (wii mote/nun chuck/classic), just make sure people around
you are not also syncing at the same time as you.

Other tourneys that will be going on.( These rules will only apply to these tourneys)

Tournament Schedule & Games:

- November 1st, 2008 (Saturday)
- Store hours are 12pm-12am
- 12pm sign ups will begin
- 2:45pm sign ups will end
- 3pm we will begin with the following games:

3 pm start:

- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
- Super Street Fighter II X
- Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core
- Capcom vs SNK 2 - Waseda Style (Tag) 2v2

7 pm start:

- Marvel vs Capcom 2
- Melty Blood: Act Cadenza
- Street Fighter IV

EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE!

Venue fee details:
*******$20 Flat rate fee.
SFIV, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and BlazBlue kit donations are welcome but Andy wants you to know that just showing up to the ranbats are helpful enough.
********^------ Now, i know its tough times with the economy BUT..... as some of you guys know Andy is a very promising guy. SFIV was delivered as promised and with many more games are coming out soon and hes putting down payments on the Tatsunoko and Blazblue kits. Support him, and he'll give you guys what you deserve!!

-The Flat rate charge will let you play for FREE the ENTIRE night, including the tournament and casual matches later on. This way people can have a lot more matches in and be able to enter every tournament without worry about expenses (except the entry fee).

-All the flat rate money made from these ranbats will be put towards: paying off and buying more cabinets+games and keep these cabinets in the BEST condition they can be in.

Entry fee & prize structure:

$5 entry fee for SFIII:3S singles , GGXX:AC
$2 entry fee for every other game
*Game entry fees are subject to change upon the requests from the community, by the majority rule.

-$5(or more) entry games: 1st place = 70%, 2nd place = 20%, 3rd place = 10% (if less than 16 players 1st = 70%, 2nd = 30%)
-$2 entry games: "WINNER TAKES ALL"

Tournament Rules:
-Seeding will be based on your "TGA Ranking Battle Points". If you do not have any points you will be seeded randomly.
-Minimum number of players needed for each game: 8
-DOUBLE ELIMINATION! Best 2/3. FOR ALL GAMES
-Winners, losers and grand finals will be 3/5
-Team tournaments will be Double elimination, 1 game and 2/3 for grand finals.

Match-up and Game Rules:
-If you lose, you can change your team/character. Winner must stick with the same character until he loses.
-MvC2: You can change your team order, even if you win.
-SF:3S: You can change your SA (super art), even if you win. Judgment In Effect.
-SSF2X: Gouki/Akuma is banned!!!!!
-CvS2: Waseda Style/Tag Team 2v2 Battle - (A1 beats B1, B2 beats A2, A1 has to fight B2) A single player is allowed to enter twice using 2 different teams.
-There are to be NO GAME FREEZING GLITCHES IN ANY GAME. If you do i'm going to kick your *** and make your head EXPLODE! Plain and simple.

Point system details:
1st Place - 10 Points
2nd Place - 7 Points
3rd Place - 5 Points
4th Place - 3 Points
5th Placers - 1 point

About TGA's Arcade:
- TGA is an authentic Japanese Arcade. It has Bemani (music), racing games, Fighting Games..etc ALL fighting games are in Japanese cabinets and in working condition.
- TGA has been home to the SBO (Tougeki) 06/07 east coast qualifiers.
- There are also 12 lanes for bowling.
- Cafe Yamanoi is up and running! YUMMY FOOD! No outside food or drinks allowed please.

- Footage from our previous ranbats:
http://www.youtube.com/Frenzish
http://www.youtube.com/smoothcat

-Results from the last ranbat
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=157289

Hope to see you all there! Bring on the HYPE!

Directions:

Google Maps

From 95 North, take the EXIT towards 495 North.

- From 495 N, take EXIT 29B, then that'll be Rt.2 WEST. (20-30 min drive)

- From Rt. 2 W, take EXIT 24B, then tha'll be Rt.140 NORTH. (10-15 min drive)

- From Rt. 140 N, keep going straight down for about 15 min.

- Eventually you are going to run on a little bridge with a pond on your right, from there take a RIGHT onto Beech Street.

- At the end of Beech St., take a right onto 5 Summer Dr. and you'll see our beloved www.tokyogameaction.com

Hotel Info:

TGA is in Winchendon, MA.
(Approximately 15 mins away from Gardner, MA and 30 mins away from Leominster, MA)

Nearest Motel's:
http://www.super8.com/Super8/control...etSession=true
http://www.motel6.com/reservations/m...=&dDa=&CP=&TA= ---> Closest Motel6 (Leominster)
Nearest Hotel's:
http://www.colonial-hotel.com/
More links via mapquest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/hotels:...::d::25:::::/e

Just so everybody knows I will need set-ups which is Melee,Brawl,Wii's,Cubes,Surge Protectors, TV's, and last but not least a laptop with the tourney maker on it or else I will have to do this by hand which would be horrendous so please help out.

Taken from TokyoGameAction.com

November 1st ranking battle to include side tournaments - DUAL FUNDRAISER FOR BLAZBLUE AND EMPRESS!

The following tournaments will be added to the November 1st Ranking Battle. All games are already included in your venue fee (fighting game or flat rate entry fee). Entry fees for the prize funds are separate and will be updated by Eric and Tom.

Smash Brothers Brawl
Puzzle Fighter
Puzzle Bobble
Mr Driller (Will Chie hop the kitchen counter and enter? :p )

This ranking battle is going to serve as our Blazblue fundraiser AND our first Empress Fundraiser. I will be making a post explaining more later, but I wanted to get the word out asap. If you would like attend this event, we would encourage you to do so. It will be a fun way to help raise funds for our upgrade kits and did I mention SFIV??

As this is a fundraiser and due to our projected attendance, all persons coming to TGA on this day will have to select the $20 or $26 flat rate. There will be no single games available AT ALL for the fighters, Puzzle Fighter, Puzzle Bobble, Driller the Ultracade or Bemani

All persons entering the building will have to pay one of the venue fees as all games including Fighters Bemani and racers will be set to free play

Thanks for your continued support, we are sending out our advance BB payment with our projected income going towards Empress and other upgrade costs, also don't forget Gavin's birthday shindig on Saturday October 25th.

Thanks everyone!

Andy

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
as i told you at mass madness i am very interested in trying out street fighter iv, so i might show

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm planning to attend, I can't miss my last chance to see the most entertaining Wario EVER.

WAH WAH WAH!

(Dazwa posted before. Somehow Maine made it home before I did. That is amazing... or I get distracted easily when going home.)

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Ace, how'd you manage that? We had to take someone home who was 30 minutes in the opposite direction, and then 15 minutes after dropping her off she realized she left her cell phone in the car and we had to take it back to her <_<

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
I will be adding melee to this event because melee is awesome son! This is going to be awesome I will be updating this with more info when get the chance thx.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Ace, how'd you manage that? We had to take someone home who was 30 minutes in the opposite direction, and then 15 minutes after dropping her off she realized she left her cell phone in the car and we had to take it back to her <_<
It might have to do with the fact that I went 15 minutes of of my way on the trip home and then spent about 4 hours at a friends place playing MORE brawl.

I did not do well at MM so I went to his house and destroyed him and his friend(who is extremely cocky and couldn't even take a match off me, except when I played Peach, cause I don't really understand floating and have never EVER played her). Beating people who have no idea what they're getting into made me feel considerably better.

Except when I went Diddy Kong and they literally couldn't understand what to do. Than I felt a little bad, while I giggled maniacally.

:-D

EDIT: Tom are you running just singles for both?

::le sigh:: I really really miss playing Brawl Doubles. Why are there no tourneys in Mass that ever manage to have Brawl Doubles. Riot can't travel outside of Ma for tourneys and he's my teammate. :(

Also, could you please get rid of Corneria. I won't try to change anything else on your stage list if you'll just ditch Corneria.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
I am still trying to get in contact with the owner it's taking a little bit but I should be able to update you soon. If I do teams I won't be able to run melee singles which I will be having trouble with because I am entering other tourneys as well and it will be tight. The bundle packs from what I know of are $26 for everything,$20 for just the fighters, and I am trying to get a smash fee but like I said I need to get in contact with him first.

Thx

**** tom

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Long as I can get a few friendlies in to warm up I've got no problem helping you run and taking over when you neeed to go do whatever other tourney, regardless of what you decide to run.

But here's a vote for Brawl teams, if you're taking votes sit.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Tom seriously...reconsider retiring. You one of the most epic smashers I've ever met. Even baack in the

day when I first met you at cataclysm 2 xD

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
This may sound odd and I posted a thread before about this... but Tom, how old are you?

Back on topic! Uhh... Why is you retiring? Not enough time to play two fighting games competitively? How do you practice street fighter IV anyways? It's not out on consoles yet so you would have to either find someplace nearby you that has it (would cost money) or go to these freeplay things.... Or did you buy the arcade machine?!?!?!?!? I have been dying to play street fighter IV but I can't find it anywhere around me...

What is going to happen once you retire? The only tournaments I go to besides MASS MADNESS are ones that you host...

-_-

Edit: AND didn't MLG just pickup smash so there would be like new and huger tournaments on like a wider scale hopefully eventually?!? (someone explain to me exactly what MLG does?) So your like leaving during the beginning of a new age of smashy-ness.

*Sigh* Curse my young age!!! I feel like I came into the competitive smash scene too late because I was so young when it all started....

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Yup vote goes to brawl doubles!

^ Hey! HEY!! HEY!!! Buu... Why didn't you use Dedede when we were in the tournament... I could have won instead of getting molested by your metaknight...

Buuman

Smash Ace
lol, easier match up. You can fight my dedede next time we play. It's a tough match for D3 thats why I have multiple chars in my arsenal (>^_^)>

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
This may sound odd and I posted a thread before about this... but Tom, how old are you?

Back on topic! Uhh... Why is you retiring? Not enough time to play two fighting games competitively? How do you practice street fighter IV anyways? It's not out on consoles yet so you would have to either find someplace nearby you that has it (would cost money) or go to these freeplay things.... Or did you buy the arcade machine?!?!?!?!? I have been dying to play street fighter IV but I can't find it anywhere around me...

What is going to happen once you retire? The only tournaments I go to besides MASS MADNESS are ones that you host...

-_-

Edit: AND didn't MLG just pickup smash so there would be like new and huger tournaments on like a wider scale hopefully eventually?!? (someone explain to me exactly what MLG does?) So your like leaving during the beginning of a new age of smashy-ness.

*Sigh* Curse my young age!!! I feel like I came into the competitive smash scene too late because I was so young when it all started....
I am 25 yrs old and I am retiring because I see the smash scene dying because of the differences people feel between melee and brawl. I don't see anything too big from MLG except having online tourneys and everybody can understand that the online for brawl is complete garbage. If MLG decides to add brawl or melee back into there lan events then I see this scene surviving but until that happens I only see the death of the community. I was hoping that when I played street fighter 4 I would be convinced to actually take it more seriously than smash and I am. SF4 is amazing and I am not regreting this decsion to quit smash.

I am going to say that I have been talking to the owner and he says that because of the demand for SF4 everybody is going to have to pay the fighter flat rate of $20. This includes all the fighters and smash but just so you know I am going to have a separte tourney fee of $5 for melee singles and brawl singles. I want to run both melee and brawl but if I see no interest in melee singles then I will attempt to run brawl teams. The pot splits will be determined by how many entrants there are for each tourney. I will be changing the start time to 2pm instead of 5pm. I will get back to you with more info at a later date.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
There is a possibility of that happening but that would be a big decsion to make considering the fact that SF4 is coming on console in Feb. of next year and I see many tourneys being run for that game. Something very drastic will have to happen in the smash community for me to want to come back. Only time will be able to tell if I will be coming back.

On another subject I took off Corneria of the neutral stages and banned it and just so everybody knows any level that is not mentioned on the first post is banned.

RushedDown

Smash Rookie
I created an account here just for this

sf4 has toms soul now and there is no fighting it

i suggest u all show up to the event and play sf4 as well
that way u will know why u all need to quit to

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
I created an account here just for this

sf4 has toms soul now and there is no fighting it

i suggest u all show up to the event and play sf4 as well
that way u will know why u all need to quit to
Ralf you are too good son!! Everybody watch out for this mans Abel he is a beast with him.

lol good one dazwa

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
Yo ralf I haven't forgotten our mm the reason why I didn't do it last time is because I had barely any money to eat food. I should be able to do the mm at the ranking battles

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I'm assuming you will be scheduling the Smash to be done before 7 to make room for the Street Fighter IV tournament thats going on. And can you make sure to get back to me to remind me if I should bring my cube and melee (w/o T.V.)?

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
Wish I could make this Tom but I got a wedding in CT to go to
That's cool man do what you gotta do. If you want to make it up to me you must play SF4 when it comes out on console and start winning tourneys son! It seems like there might be brawl doubles instead of melee singles because I see no interest coming from anybody except for Kevin M. I will give it until the middle of next week to make a final annoucement and thx for your patience.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how late I can stay at this one. I might have to bail early on this, so I don't know if I'll have a set up with me or not, sadly.

Top Bottom