• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AT: A real Waveland in brawl.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I troll a lot.

We need to figure this out. This isnt that useless Hill Sliding.

Heres what I did.

09/19/08 Hyrule Temple
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axcElEkSZGs

10/09/08 Recreated on Yoshi's Island Pipes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTbyj2UqHTI

And I havent seen a vid of someone moving like this. I know that it is know you get a slide from a slope in brawl. If this is worthless sorry but if this is new and we can figure it out it seems good.

It appears to be a true waveland like in melee, just only useable on slopes.
I know what buttons I was hitting, but after like a hour or two of testing with Hydro Kirby we werent able to fully emulate it like I slide in the vid.

I was Holding the control stick diagonally down and to the left.
I hit Z to shield when I landed after I input a Up Air on the C-Stick.
And then I believe I hit A or the C-Stick as I was sliding.

If you watch you see my Up Air doesnt come out all the way, also you hear the click like a smash is being charged.

Browny

Smash Hater
I knew id seen that before in brawl, only once though. Although i also did it with wolf on battlefield, so are you sure its only slopes?

Miles.

Smash Champion
I knew id seen that before in brawl, only once though. Although i also did it with wolf on battlefield, so are you sure its only slopes?
In our testing we couldnt perfectly copy it.

When we got close we could only do it on slopes.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
It's called hilldashing and it has been known about for a while, and yes it only works on slopes.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Yeah that looks nothing like what I did.

He is just sliding.
This was different.
Watch my vid and tell me they are the same.

I instantly slid very fast to a grab out of a Up Air.
The animation on the ground looked like the startup of raptor boost, you might of done something different but it looks very similar to hilldashing.

Miles.

Smash Champion
The animation on the ground looked like the startup of raptor boost, you might of done something different but it looks very similar to hilldashing.
I wasnt touching B, and there is no Raptor Boost noise.
Hilldashing looks useless.
This seems explorable and useful.

Or if they are one of the same, this method/way seems really good, as in ACTUALLY practical in competitive play.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I wasnt touching B, and there is no Raptor Boost noise.
Hilldashing looks useless.
This seems explorable and useful.

Or if they are one of the same, this method/way seems really good, as in ACTUALLY practical in competitive play.
If it works in places other than slopes then it might have some merit, but try to recreate it first and find out how to do it.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Hilldashing isnt useful.
This is something else.
And are you joking? Over half of the legal levels have tons of slopes.

He doesnt show any application of Hilldashing.

I did it in a match on accident and it was pretty **** hot if I do say so myself.

No we just need to figure it out. I have video proof so you all know I am not making **** up.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Hilldashing isnt useful.
This is something else.
And are you joking? Over half of the legal levels have tons of slopes.

He doesnt show any application of Hilldashing.

I did it in a match on accident and it was pretty **** hot if I do say so myself.

No we just need to figure it out. I have video proof so you all know I am not making **** up.
There's a bunch of stage that are considered tourney legal, still there's always going to be some controversy and you'll never know if one such stage is banned at a tourney for such reasons. Example, although PKM Stadium 2 is considered neutral every now and then you'll find a tourney that has banned it for whatever reason. Anyway, hilldashing is useful and before you begin arguing you need to at least recreate what you did and know how you did it. Before you can start making any claims you have to at least know how to do it.

Rat

Smash Lord
I hope this becomes something sweet.

Anyways...
The click of a smash was from metaknight.

It might have to do with the little lip that you landed on.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It does.

That little step that he landed on isn't a 'step' as much as it is a small hill.

I think it has to do with fall speed and landing lag.

Like, Ike's Aether on Brinstar's bottom level = Ike sliding all over the place, or just fastfall landing on those hills will make you slide around for the most part.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Yea, this ^ There's a small little step in Hyrule Temple right where you landed.

On another note, I get a lot of wavelanding-type slide-age when I'm being Captain Falcon and it's never really in the same situation. Falcon is just generally slide-y when he lands on the ground and some things you do can bring that out at random times. That's jsut my observation.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Yea, this ^ There's a small little step in Hyrule Temple right where you landed.

On another note, I get a lot of wavelanding-type slide-age when I'm being Captain Falcon and it's never really in the same situation. Falcon is just generally slide-y when he lands on the ground and some things you do can bring that out at random times. That's jsut my observation.
I agree.

And it was never in question if the little step is part of the equation.
I say so in the first post that it can only be done on slopes.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Find out what action causes him to make the sound you hear in the video, unless all that audio was from MK which I'm thinking it wasn't.

there was a recent pseudo Wave land that has been on the CF forums for about a week now where you raptor boost from the air into a slope and you get a pretty good slide when done correctly.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Find out what action causes him to make the sound you hear in the video, unless all that audio was from MK which I'm thinking it wasn't.

there was a recent pseudo Wave land that has been on the CF forums for about a week now where you raptor boost from the air into a slope and you get a pretty good slide when done correctly.
And I will go check this out.

I am pretty sure tho that I didnt touch B.
There was no Raptor Boost Sound Affect.
Also you see me do an UP Air and it doesnt even finish before I hit the ground so I dont see how I could have done a Raptor Boost.

Didn't lucien find this awhile back with link, there still should be a thread on it somewhere.
If you could show me this, it might really help testing.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Captain Falcon slides when he does half of his stuff.
Its nothing.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Its probably just that little step thing.

ADHD

Smash Hero
It kinda looks like falcon does a uair before he lands but it seems irrelevant

Miles.

Smash Champion
It kinda looks like falcon does a uair before he lands but it seems irrelevant
When we were testing it it seems not finishing your Aerial made you slide, when you fast fell to the slope.

We would get better slides when we used aerials, than without.

We also tested on other levels like Corneria, Lylatt, and Green Hill Zone.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Hmmm... okay, so the slide... whatever, looks nice.

But what about the fact that he cancelled the uair? Z-cancel? Or am I just grasping at straws.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Hmmm... okay, so the slide... whatever, looks nice.

But what about the fact that he cancelled the uair? Z-cancel? Or am I just grasping at straws.
The Slope cancels your aerial into a slide.
But test it and lemme know what you find.
This thread was to get some creative thinking going.

The video evidence should give you all some hope I would think.

Roager

Smash Ace
Interesting.

Could you only do it on Skyworld tho?

What about on stages like Green Hill Zone?
I think Green Hill Zone, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, and any other slopes that exist would still do this. The cool thing about the video is that it doesn't LOOK like theres a slope. If he had done this on, say, that warp pipe in Yoshi's Island Melee, we'd all have immediately attributed it to that slope. Not to say that this is useless. It's still a lagless slide, if the aerial is ACed, (unless my analysis is wrong) And that is cool.

Right, for those who care about my opinion, here's what i think happened

Brawl's momentum is kinda buggy, and comes into play at weird times.
Example, Aether. Hits a slope, and slides down, while in lag.
I think Falcon did the same kind of thing. autocancelled his uair, but kept his momentum from the fastfall.
Result: Aether style slide with out aether style lag. Pretty cool.

Denzi

Smash Master
I think Green Hill Zone, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, and any other slopes that exist would still do this. The cool thing about the video is that it doesn't LOOK like theres a slope. If he had done this on, say, that warp pipe in Yoshi's Island Melee, we'd all have immediately attributed it to that slope. Not to say that this is useless. It's still a lagless slide, if the aerial is ACed, (unless my analysis is wrong) And that is cool.
So get someone to do the same thing on the warp pipe in Yoshi's island. Then post a vid. Then link us to the vid. Then we discuss.

Miles.

Smash Champion

Right, for those who care about my opinion, here's what i think happened

Brawl's momentum is kinda buggy, and comes into play at weird times.
Example, Aether. Hits a slope, and slides down, while in lag.
I think Falcon did the same kind of thing. autocancelled his uair, but kept his momentum from the fastfall.
Result: Aether style slide with out aether style lag. Pretty cool.
It wasnt Auto Canceled, the timing is different and I Fast Fell.

AND IT HAS TO DO WITH THE SMALL SLOPE.
I am 100% sure.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
After some brief thinking, and some previous talk about momentum off of "slopes"... or rather, maybe ledges

I use Captain Falcon a lot.. and sometimes, i cancel aerials by landing on the very edge of a platform and sliding off. (say for example.. land a Bair right on the edge of the platform of battlefield and it results in captain falcon sliding off). Im not sure how to recreate this either... I haven;t realy tried it much though.
Made me wonder if that "slope" in the temple stage is actually a very small ledge..
After thinking of al this, maybe captain falcon canceled his aerial by sliding off of the "ledge" and imediately fell to the ground (since its such a slight elevation) and kept his momentum, resulting in a slide.
Just food for thought :/
I;m not sre if any one else has ever experienced canceling the lag from an aerial by sliding off of a platform.. or if this is widely known, lol, but yea.

Top Bottom