• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Tricksies

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Trela said:
I love you. (LOL) PLZ tell me more..
So, it might be bad to make this stuff public knowledge, but here are some of the tricks I use that come in handy at random times.

• On any level with a wall you should pull out nanas with your back to the wall, the banana will just fall straight to your feat, saving you precious moments for picking them up (RC/Cornaria/Delfino/etc).
  • On Delfino characters like Kirby/MK/D3 will try and go benieth the platform (that flies around the island) and camp you because of their multiple jumps. BIG MISTAKE! Your Up-B is a spike and it *****, learn to predict the approaches/to time your Up B as best you can, them going benieth the stage against any character except Diddy puts them in an advantage, against Diddy, they are at a disadvantage thanks to the near instantly activated Up B..
  • Just found this out the other day, but Diddy's Up B ***** D3's recovery. If D3 if falling into the stage (coming down from his own Up B), UpB right into his butt, it'll do I think like 16-18% damage, has high KO potential, and you will only receive 5% damage I believe (and be sent strait into the ground for a quicker recovery). This tactic single handedly made my Diddy go from 7-3 to 6-4 (I still don't know why NL thinks Diddy has the advantage against D3, but maybe I'll figure it out eventually).
  • On RC: Diddy ***** the flat parts and use your barrels on the part in the top left if the person is standing on the falling blocks (and you are below them), you can score kills around 90-100%. Using the upB and its explosion also works well on PS1/Luigi/Corneria/misc levels.
  • On Cornaria: grab a lead and camp under fin, this is a pretty solid counter pick against heavy characters because you can kill them over the top/the right side at fairly low percent (conversely, you can be killed at around 80% instead of 120%ish, but thats a loss of 40%, in comparison against DK you can KO around 100-120% instead of 180-200%). Up B up to the fin (<3 instant edge hogging), come down with Bairs/Nairs, then Up B again, its a decent stall (though somewhat vulnerable). To make this even better have nanas beneath you, pick them up/use them whenever, Up B into the fin, z drop nana, nair, stuff like that.
  • View this:
    Stale Moves and Decay Prevention
    Excerpt from article:
    MLG Get Better Fast said:
    Characters with projectiles have almost a built-in remedy for dealing with move decay. Observe how Diddy Kong can keep his S-Smash fresh by throwing three bananas between each use.

Attack 1 - S-Smash: 18%
    Attack 2 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 8% = 26%
    Attack 3 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 5% = 31%
    Attack 4 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 6% = 37%
    Attack 5 - S-Smash: + 16% = 53%
    Attack 6 – Smash Thrown Banana: + 6% = 59%
    Attack 7 – Smash Thrown Banana: + 4% = 63%
    Attack 8 – Smash Thrown Banana: + 4% = 67%
    Attack 9 - S-Smash: + 16% = 83%
    Attack 10 – Smash Thrown Banana: + 5% = 88%
    Attack 11 – Smash Thrown Banana: + 3% = 91%
    Attack 12 – Smash Thrown Banana: + 3% = 94%
    Attack 13 - S-Smash: + 17% = 111%

Similarly, keeping 3 bananas between each Smash attack and alternating between the D-Smash and S-Smash keeps those two KO moves even fresher.

Attack 1: D-Smash: 16%
    Attack 2 - Smash Thrown Banana: +6% = 22%
    Attack 3 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 5% = 27%
    Attack 4 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 4% = 31%
    Attack 5 - S-Smash: + 19% = 50%
    Attack 6 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 6% = 56%
    Attack 7 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 5% = 61%
    Attack 8 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 4% = 65%
    Attack 9 - D-Smash: + 16% = 81%
    Attack 10 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 3% = 84%
    Attack 11 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 4% = 87%
    Attack 12 - Smash Thrown Banana: + 4% = 91%
    Attack 13 - S-Smash: + 17% = 108%

The most efficient way to keep a character fresh who has two KO moves and a projectile is to alternate between those two moves and use just two projectiles between them (not three as shown above).
  • Against Peach: learn to use Short hop peanuts/reverse peanuts to annoy her float, get in the habit of predicting her float and hitting it with Bairs/Fairs, learn to force floats by throwing bananas just in front/behind her or even right at her.
  • Toss bananas Up when an opponent is recovering. I don't know how many times I've messed up a person just because the bananas were falling down as they were rolling/attacking up from the edge. The other reason for doing this is that it keeps your bananas from degenerating! Doing this during the lulls in fighting keeps the bananas under your control and creates a hazardous zone that the opponent must avoid.
  • Hazardous zone? WTF? Okay, start thinking of bananas as having their own zone, this "hazardous zone" can either be stationary (just leaving the banana on the ground) or mobile (throwing it up, throwing it at a person, or z dropping for example). Know that when the opponent is near the hazardous zone their responses are LIMITED! Predict dash attacks for banana pick ups, or walking A pick ups, or aerial pick ups. Against advanced opponents 90% of the time the reaction is the pick up near immediately and with a dash/air attack, know this and use it to your advantage.
  • Against non-projectile characters grab a lead (not very hard, just be aggro briefly) then camp under plat forms/sides of stage until you are around 80-90%, after which switch your positioning to the center of the stage to survive longer.
  • Your best camping position is one banana at your feet and one in the hand, with peanuts for harassment. This is idea against almost all non-projectile characters. The banana at your feet will create a forced response (say the opponent tries to dash attack pick it up), for which your best reaction is usually just dribbling once away, then glide tossing toward/into the opponent and grabbing/hitting with another banana/whatever.
  • Glidetoss nana > Fsmash does about 22-23%, same thing but with Dsmash does about 20-21%, alternate. Learning to chain your bananas and then getting the DSmash/Fsmash in will just add onto how effective this is.
  • On Norfair notes: Side B to catch the platforms (say someone is camping top right, go mid plat then side B to edge). Peanut trajectory is PERFECT for this level. Smash banana throws have great arc. Shuffled air's ****. UP B when people are over /under platforms, this catches people off guard so often, espcially if they just reacted to a peanut/banana. After you get a lead camp bottom center, keep one banana directly center and the other in hand, use your peanut gun to bait approaches. This level/this stuff doesn't really work against Pit. Stupid Pit's arrows/mobility.
  • If you and the opponent are at high percent and you are recovering, be aware that you can suicide KO them by charging your barrels and intentionally hitting the side of the stage (instead of trying to grab on). Very situational where this is a positive outcome, but usually if you have a stock lead this is a good idea. KO's opponents around 150%.
  • More to come!

---NEW STUFF 10/27/2008

• MK matches in the highest level really seem to devolve into MK spamming air approaches (usually D-air) and you spacing away/running around on the ground. Some things that help against this: U-tilt will beat D-Air most (or always?) of the time. Forward dribble > U-tilt is awesome because they usually don't expect it. Platform stages also reduce the effectiveness of MK's air game against you. You can also try and predict (like against Peach) the approach and hit MK with F-airs, but this is dangerous, most likely scenario is that you trade hits OR MK hits you (if you trade its a good thing, but I would say the trade happens 1/3 of the time and MK wins 2/3 of the time, obviously with good prediction you can win 100% of the time).
  • Norfair! I was trying to figure out how to get around Pit's edge camping (ON FD, please let me know how to beat it if you can), and I decided to go with other stages. To my surprise, Norfair is actually is a good stage (despite my previous comments, above, about it sucking). Go to this stage and spend some time just side-Bing from lower platforms to upper platforms, peanuting (short hopped/reversed), and seeing where bananas (smash/unsmashed) go from lower to upper platforms. You can encroach upon any position the opponent (pit or otherwise) is in simply by leapfrogging from one edge to the next).
  • Against Snake your bananas blow up his grenades. Often Snakes will pull a nade, drop it, then roll back if you approach them (or just shield). Dash toward them and dribble back to gage their response, if they roll then hit the nade with a nana and dash grab/dash attack. If they stay shielding then dash grab.If the Snake throws the grenade at you try and dash attack catch it and throw it back, followed by a barrage of nanas.
  • On Brinstar if you drop a banana on those cylinder blocks that break the stage apart, then the banana will continually pop up and down breaking blocks. Its fun.
  • If you've sent a person in the air and are juggling them (u-airs), and they go above you just out of reach, don't forget that you can use your Up-B as an attack to get that extra distance.
  • Against MK, if you can, you want to go HIGH. If that doesn't work, then drop low, jump, and try and side B into the edge (if you get hit, Side-B again, duh). Also, the proper DI against most of MK's attacks is simply into the stage and up. You should be able to survive just about every attack of MK's until 140%ish, the only exception being if you don't DI the shuttle loop well (again, up and in).
  • If you get grabbed my MK (or a few other characters), at the edge of the stage, set your DI AWAY from the stage, remember you have your jump and side B (try to go high), and return to the stage. It is better to be conservative here, because what the MK wants you to do is (after the grab release), simply jump straight at him and try to attack (allowing easy F-air/shuttle loop/nair edge guarding).
  • A little trick I like to do is simply dash > dribble back, repeat. This is similar to dash > wavedash back, from Melee. This works especially well against non-projectile characters who are hanging on the edge, where you can dash in (forcing a response), and dribble safely away.
  • Consider mapping the A button to one of your triggers. You can then dribble > attack (with banana in hand) easily. The input being: Shield (for me, L), back on control stick, down on C-stick, press and hold R (A mapped to R) to pick up nana and be able to perform F-Smash with nana in hand, and forward on the C-stick to F-Smash.
  • I've done tilts with nanas in hand before (d-tilt), does anyone know how I did this?

More to come today probably.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Just found this out the other day, but Diddy's Up B ***** D3's recovery. If D3 if falling into the stage (coming down from his own Up B), UpB right into his butt, it'll do I think like 16-18% damage, has high KO potential, and you will only receive 5% damage I believe (and be sent strait into the ground for a quicker recovery). This tactic single handedly made my Diddy go from 7-3 to 6-4 (I still don't know why NL thinks Diddy has the advantage against D3, but maybe I'll figure it out eventually).
EXACTLY. I knew about this for a lo0ong time and it adds damage really well, and sometimes knocks them back off the stage again. And I do agree with you I definitely do not think that Diddy has the advantage vs Dedede. I play a really good Dedede quite often (Seibrik) and we both think that the match up is even. Its like Chain grabs and effective edge guarding vs banana combos.... IDK lolz.

The Delfino Up-B spike doesnt work any more though. I used to do that so much that everyone is now scared to camp under the stage against me :( Oh wellz.

Good Stuff on this thread.

-advent-

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Don't worry, it's going in.
Nuggets of wisdom like this are necessary.

AZ, I wouldn't worry much at all about making this info public knowledge. It's a necessary thing to ensure Diddy's steady growth. If people catch on, it gives us something more to work towards.

Hylian's metagame development philosophy is one I hold to as well.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
And what would that philosophy be?

-advent-
Not keeping any secrets. Making every effective piece of information regarding the entire metagame as public as possible in an effort to make it evolve. The more people find ways to counter Diddy, the more we as Diddy players, are forced to evolve and become better players.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what Hylian has said in the past (Well, something like that anyway).

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
That's just NinjaLink's way.
The onus isn't on him, nor is he obligated to share all of his Diddy wisdom.

In the end, there is only so much that you can learn from reading a forum afterall. It doesn't beat raw play experience. I am sad to admit that I *may* never reach a level of play that is comparable to American smashers because of the level of play found in my country.

(That is in no way in offence to players in my area, but the fact of the matter is America >>> The world).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Not keeping any secrets. Making every effective piece of information regarding the entire metagame as public as possible in an effort to make it evolve. The more people find ways to counter Diddy, the more we as Diddy players, are forced to evolve and become better players.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what Hylian has said in the past (Well, something like that anyway).
This is what I think :).

Mizar

Smash Ace
I don't know if this is like way old though, but on FD you can walljump and lay a banana on the edge right after the walljump. But you would be easy to gimp when you're fighting against a samus, marth, D3 etc. But if they stay on the ledge while you walljump you can lay a banana on the edge to clear the edge.

get what im saying? lol

I can make vid to clear it out.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I have never KO'd an opponent missing the ledge with my barrels. I think it takes more than 150% tbh.

Good stuff in this thread.

pastaboy

Smash Champion
this stuff is rly helpful, one question, bout the short hop peunut gun? shooting a peanut on the ground is more effective isnt it, still inturupts her float.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
nice tips :bigthumbu. only thing though is whenever i do the suicide barrel thing i get powersheilded :\

Luigi player

Smash Master
I have never KO'd an opponent missing the ledge with my barrels. I think it takes more than 150% tbh.

Good stuff in this thread.
This. It happens rarely, but when it happens I just die and the enemy will still live. But their damage was probably not that high... just 120 %, but I don't know. Maybe they will die at 150... trying it out would probably answer this ^^ (but I don't have access to my Brawl right now)

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
AlphaZealot - I've been executing your instant wall-jumped B-airs off of ledge-hops a lot more frequently as of late. Have you figured out how to recreate them on command yet? - They're sexy as hell.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not really, if I try like 20 times in a row I'll get it once or twice, I know the basic process, but man, sometimes by complete accident I do it flawlessly and hit the opponent with a Bair and land on the stage (which is the part people always forget, having the right trajectory to land on the stage) and I just...stare usually, unable to figure out what I did.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Everyone, ask P1, because I think he can do it, the only difference is that when I've seen you do it you usually don't land on the stage after the B-air, you usually either go straight up or away from the stage, but you can definably get the instant effect for the wall jump, which I can't do at all consistently.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Everyone, ask P1, because I think he can do it, the only difference is that when I've seen you do it you usually don't land on the stage after the B-air, you usually either go straight up or away from the stage, but you can definably get the instant effect for the wall jump, which I can't do at all consistently.

I put up 2 vids on youtube, one of me just wall jumping the 2nd video I put up puts you on to the stage after you wall jump, but you said it was more instantaneous.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm bumping this thread after AntiPyroShyGuy's rampage >.>

I think we should all take a look at wall jumped bairs and see what we can come up with.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
IRT your question in the updates, AZ:

How to do a dtilt with banana in hand:

C-stick down and forward, or down and backward (in the 45 angle niche).

That or put the control stick in one of those positions and press A. This is useful because you can use dtilt while crawling forward or backward. C-stick if you want to perform it in place.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
You do not have to be crawling, only crouching. If you use the C-Stick you don't need to crawl to do it. If you use the analog stick then yes you do have to be crawling.

BTW Dojo I've never heard of Ftilt while holding a banana, do you have a replay of it?

Dojo

Smash Champion
When I crouch and c-stick he still throws the nana down.

And no. I only recall it happening once against Santi's TL.
I may have just mistaken it for a ftilt as well. I'm not completely sure.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
It isn't C-Stick down.

It's diagonal down (forward or backwards doesn't really matter).

If you labelled the places which the sticks could go as North, South, East, West, and all the in betweens, the two C-Stick positions that allow you to dtilt while holding a banana are Southeast and Southwest (same with analog, but you have to press A).

Count

Smash Champion
It really isn't that hard to do, just mess around with it for a second and you will get it down. It really is pretty useful, I need to incorporate it into my game.

Top Bottom