• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic 'Self improvement' thread, plus your questions answered! FAQ

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
It's been kind of depressing seeing these boards go down hill again so I thought I'd make this.

Now this isn't a rate a my 'Sonic thread'. Here you tell people about your issues with your gameplay (with Sonic), style, basics, match ups, stages ect. And if anyone knows how to solve your problem and help you they can provide links to informaton (videos, topics, quotes ect) and advice. In as much detail as possible. More then one person can contribute to one persons issuse so feel free.

And now this is a question and answer thread. Newbes and people from other boards. Ask your questions here. Please always use the search button and don't troll. Creating question threads outside of this will not be torrarated. You've been warned. Here's Boxob's post but edited:

We don't need thousands of threads about the same crap, ask me a question and I'm sure that if not me, Tenki, or someone else cool should be able to help you out.

FAQ:

What is Steak all about?

Steak is among many /S/ Memes. The origin of which is through one of our past regular posters. KirbyAndSonicRock14 (referenced to as KASR) who exclaimed that we should go on a winning streak with Sonic to boost his Tier position. Either he took English as a second language or he had really poor motor skills because that guy had a typo every other word. He wrote 'winning steak', instead of streak. Being that he was amazing, we take heed of his wise words and try to win as much steak as possible. Some people are jealous and may express anger about steak being stupid and unproductive, or repetitive. They're just jealous that they can't understand the steak like some us do. Learn to steak, and the win is yours. Please do not bring steak up in this thread, do not talk about it, don't think about it.

What is the difference in the SideB and the DownB? And what are all those crazy acronyms about?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170844 That. It isn't a simple answer, so I'm sorry. But there's too much for me to explain, that thread covers every known detail about both moves, go there.

How do I fight character X with Sonic?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161598 We're working on it.

What's with some people putting Pokemon after their post?

Well, Weepinbell's just sexy, it's kinda almost caught on here on the boards, I just started posting Weepinbell after everything and some (few) people followed suit. It'd be cool if all you noobs could do it too, just try to make it so no one uses the same one as another person.

That's all for now, with time, after I see questions being asked over and over again, I will add things to this FAQ page.

:071:

Rules:

1) When ever addressing someone it would be helpfull if you used quotes, you don't have too, but just for clarity thanks.

2) If you make this into a meme feast or spam this topic I will report you.

3) No flaming thanks

4) Don't ask a question that has already been addressed in the FAQ area

That's all for now....

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I can't approach. Seriously, I CANNOT approach effectively for the life of me. It's not down to my predictability, because all other elements of my game don't suffer from predictability. I mix it up, but I always seem to pick the wrong option because it just gets countered a lot of the time.
I know it's really vague and general, but...

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I can't approach. Seriously, I CANNOT approach effectively for the life of me. It's not down to my predictability, because all other elements of my game don't suffer from predictability. I mix it up, but I always seem to pick the wrong option because it just gets countered a lot of the time.
try using the studder dash attack

idk if you were around when that first came up, but you can DA during the animation where sonic is stopping from a run. it always throws people off

approaching with a fairly good timed upsmash, connecting at the apex of the jump works awesome to. you can studder that with a DAC also.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I can't land grabs on my opponent, they manage to run away, dodge or roll, and then give me a (hard) pat in the back. Most annoying is when Pit does that and taunts "youre not ready yet!"
btw i think this great is gonna be a great help

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Spacing? Maybe from a distance, walking woukld help. If the projectile spam you, you can just power shield it. Also delayed dash attacks/DAC works well. What about the 'super roll'? Where you start the runing animation and do a sheild canceled spin dash or some thing (does anyone remeber that?)

I can't land grabs on my opponent, they manage to run away, dodge or roll, and then give me a (hard) pat in the back. Most annoying is when Pit does that and taunts "youre not ready yet!"
btw i think this great is gonna be a great help
Are you doing dash grabs? Shield cancel a spinspin dash (SCSD because I'm getting tired of typing like that) SCSD your dash then shield grab. Now you wont go into the laggly grap if you miss, and you'll be punished less. That's what you ment right?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
your not gonna side taunt when an ike is front of you charging a f-smash
You roll behind him and side taunt. :)
Seriously, go shield or roll behind and grab.
If you shield, punish after move.
If you roll behind, grab, pummel at higher percents, and throw. :O

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Thanks Memphis.

And I grab waaaay too much. I don't just run in and grab and expect to profit. Use it to punish, like camp landing spots from recoveries or whatever.
If you suspect they're going to roll away if you plan to grab just don't do it. Dsmash, it kinda covers you if they spotdodge or roll behind you.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Are you doing dash grabs? Shield cancel a spinspin dash (SCSD because I'm getting tired of typing like that) SCSD your dash then shield grab. Now you wont go into the laggly grap if you miss, and you'll be punished less. That's what you ment right?
I have no clue what this SCSD is :p

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Double post?

How do I make Sonic more powerful his attacks need more power anybody got any suggestions?
There's no way to make them more powerfull without hacking. If you are having trouble killing try not using Fsmash or Bair so they're not stale when you're trying to kill.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
you cant make sonic more powerful, you can however put his power to better use.

and chis, i know what it means, but not how to execute it
Click side-B, then click shield.
You can roll from a run this way and you'll actually cover more distance with it.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

Charge Sonic's side B. Before it's fully charged press the shield button. Sonic wil stop his side B and will now shield. Do this really quickly and you will only hear the spin charge sound. Now sheild grab. Does this help?

Edit: I'm too slow... ;_;

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Start your side B, then hit L or R (or whatever you've got as shield >_>) as it's still 'charging' in it's ball state before the hop and he'll go straight into shield without SDRing. (SpinDash Rolling)
lol acronyms.

I'm too slow!

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Double post?

There's no way to make them more powerfull without hacking. If you are having trouble killing try not using Fsmash or Bair so they're not stale when you're trying to kill.
Thanks Chis for the advice I've been trying to use the f -smash but it doesn't hit and all try is his d- smash anyways thanks for the advice.

SonicX580

Smash Lord

Thanks for the advice I think I know what you mean is it to some how convert his power into his speed ablility.:confused:

aeghrur

Smash Champion
is there any way around warios bike. I mean can you hit him off
You can hit him off, but he probably will still be able to recover if he has
A- Double Jump
or
B- that giant fart. >_<

At SonicX580. Don't use D-smash as a punisher too much, it's a kill move too. Stick to punishing with aerials, grabs, tilts?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Kay, here's my problems:

1. Meta Knight (the GOOD ONES that DON'T nado spam)
2. Meta Knight's Tornado

That's about all I can think I have a major problem with.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Start your side B, then hit L or R (or whatever you've got as shield >_>) as it's still 'charging' in it's ball state before the hop and he'll go straight into shield without SDRing. (SpinDash Rolling)
lol acronyms.

I'm too slow!
Roooooy thanks for the advice by the way I did that before in traning and I thought that was a glitch thanks for the for letting me know that was a move instead of a glitch.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
is there any way around warios bike. I mean can you hit him off
Bair. Fair. Dair (though I think you take damage too). Fsmash lol. Homing Attack. Spindashes invincibility frames.
Probably more. I'm a little rusty on specifics, I kinda quit Brawl lol.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
You can hit him off, but he probably will still be able to recover if he has
A- Double Jump
or
B- that giant fart. >_<

At SonicX580. Don't use D-smash as a punisher too much, it's a kill move too. Stick to punishing with aerials, grabs, tilts?
Yeah okay it's just Sonic's f-smash it's as acurrate as Sonic's f-smash.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Hey does anybody know how to make Sonic's f-smash it more?
The two kinds of stutter step smashing are
a)left on the control, right on the c-stick
b)right on the control stick, right on the c-stick

lightly tap the control stick right, smash the control stick left, and smash the c-stick right-- all in immediate succession. (smashing the control stick in the first step will result in a dash attack or a stutter step)

Do that. It increases the range of fsmash by quite a distance.

Edit : Infact, here's a video
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g9PRNsTxYqo

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Hey does anybody know how to make Sonic's f-smash hit more?
If they side step alot try charging it for half a second then letting go. Also stutter stepped Fsmash is good for increasing range (stuuter step: Tilt backwards then smash forwards with the control stick and press forward on the C stick very quickly to do it) I'll say more latter.

Edit: On a side note tilting the Fsmash downwards kills earlier.

Top Bottom