• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic 'Self improvement' thread, plus your questions answered! FAQ

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
errm guys. i found a way to give f-smash more range. you press any direction on the control stick, but smash the opposite direction on the c-stick, gives an extra step

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
errm guys. i found a way to give f-smash more range. you press any direction on the control stick, but smash the opposite direction on the c-stick, gives an extra step
This has been already stated by ROOOY, it's called stutter stepping. There's other ways too, which he listed.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
If they side step alot try charging it for half a second then letting go. Also stutter stepped Fsmash is good for increasing range (stuuter step: Tilt backwards then smash forwards with the control stick and press forward on the C stick very quickly to do it) I'll say more latter.

Edit: On a side note tilting the Fsmash downwards kills earlier.
Seriously? I thought tilting it upwards would kill earlier. Well, that's new. :O

SonicX580

Smash Lord
The two kinds of stutter step smashing are
a)left on the control, right on the c-stick
b)right on the control stick, right on the c-stick

lightly tap the control stick right, smash the control stick left, and smash the c-stick right-- all in immediate succession. (smashing the control stick in the first step will result in a dash attack or a stutter step)

Do that. It increases the range of fsmash by quite a distance.

Edit : Infact, here's a video
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g9PRNsTxYqo
Thanks for the movie Rooooy that helped.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
If they side step alot try charging it for half a second then letting go. Also stutter stepped Fsmash is good for increasing range (stuuter step: Tilt backwards then smash forwards with the control stick and press forward on the C stick very quickly to do it) I'll say more latter.

Edit: On a side note tilting the Fsmash downwards kills earlier.
Hmm.. I'll try that thanks.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I haven't played with smash balls for a long time I play with tournament rules most of the time.
Good to know you're competive at least?

So, I've got a problem wall jumping and wall jumping from hanging on a ledge. Help?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Rules:

1) When ever addressing someone it would be helpfull if you used quotes, you don't have too, but just for clarity thanks.

2) If you make this into a meme feast or spam this topic I will report you.

3) No flaming thanks
Cough, cough...

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sonic's walljump kinda sucks. It sends him more outwards and upwards, and isn't really helpful in any conceivable way. Don't use it.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

SonicLykWut

Smash Rookie
Hi. Sonic nub here. Been maining him for just shy of 2 weeks. I've played my friends on and off for a day and they use Ike and Snake mainly and the problem is they've already found a way to counter my spin dash and thats probably my main attack. It's my combo starter and I use to fake people out and get around the stage. Snakes simple running A will take it out. How can I get around this situation? I think I play a decent Sonic but I'm not amazing and am still working on my edge guarding techniques and whatnot seeing as how it's a new concept to me. (Just got brawl/wii 2 weeks ago) I can easily take out lvl 9 cpu's of both characters, sometimes even 3 life them if I have a good run...whatever thats worth. :psycho:

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Hi. Sonic nub here. Been maining him for just shy of 2 weeks. I've played my friends on and off for a day and they use Ike and Snake mainly and the problem is they've already found a way to counter my spin dash and thats probably my main attack. It's my combo starter and I use to fake people out and get around the stage. Snakes simple running A will take it out. How can I get around this situation? I think I play a decent Sonic but I'm not amazing and am still working on my edge guarding techniques and whatnot seeing as how it's a new concept to me. (Just got brawl/wii 2 weeks ago) I can easily take out lvl 9 cpu's of both characters, sometimes even 3 life them if I have a good run...whatever thats worth. :psycho:
no.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Welcome. Always you the search before you make a topic, just saying.

Try to use the ASC as an approach (tell me if you don't know what that means) I'll edit later.

£10 says I'm too slow...

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Lol this one fights back.
GG.

Right, you say you're having problems with spindashes being stopped and approaches and such.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170844
Read that, and all the threads in Teh Umby's stickied thread afterwards at some point in the future.

In that thread I just linked you, it explains that spindashes are shield cancellable, explores combos possible through them, distinguishes Side B from down B, that kinda thing.
It's useful, use it.

Also :

I want that £10 Chis, lol.
:057:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Sonics wall jump too useful on stages like FD. Use is as a spike counter, lolz, and Sonic is extremely hard to spike gimp already. Also very useful against edgehogging.

BTW, Sonics down tilted fsmash kills earlier?!? Huh? Someone test that.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Uh..

I'm not sure why, but I really don't like this thread.

SCSD means Shield Canceled Spin Dash. And yes, my spelling is a little off today...
SCSD!?!24;1o2ir6ftyuhlsdjkl

shield-cancel the charge.

you can't SCSD a SD.

Because you'd be shield cancel spin dashing a spin dash.
Hey does anybody know how to make Sonic's f-smash hit more?
- Become a better player
- You read your opponent's movements, or bait a certain movement that you can counter with a F-smash (practice fighting ledge behavior, or spotdodge/ roll behavior, or punishment behavior)

How come sonic's walljump is virtually worthless?
Because Sonic's acceleration in midair is HORRIBLE, so he can't change direction of his jump well.
Don't practice on computers, unless you're just learning how to get used to his movements or whatever.

Also, stop using the B-button. Practice fighting without pressing B for anything EXCEPT recovery. It'll make you better with his overall moveset.

Then, become a better player - learn how to read and punish their movements and reactions. That only comes with actually playing against people. If you don't have anyone good near you, then practice online. Wins may not necessarily mean anything online, but it gives you valuable experience on player behavior and your expectations.

Seriously, other than the spacing, moveset, and matchup issues, the main issue of improvement is learning how to read and punish opponents, and that's what I have the pop quiz thread for - because it makes you think about your opponent's possible reactions and what you can cover with what movements. The rest of it comes with player experience.

BTW, Sonics down tilted fsmash kills earlier?!? Huh? Someone test that.
no not really.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Tilted Fsmashes kill earlier Tenki. Didn't you post that once? And I also explained that you had to cancel the charge in an eariler post.

And I love this topic :D

Om topic: My wall jump question.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
the wall jump being useless is LIES

LIES I SAY

but yeah, its too good. you people are just stupid.
sonic is the only character that can wall jump after his recovery moves, which opens surprising options.

use the walls to your advantage.

idiots

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Actually, Tenki posted the opposite. Tilting fsmashes does not kill earlier according to his testing. I believe ShadowLink posted eons ago that tilting up killed 5% earlier, and downwards 5% later, and that upwards added one damage while downwards subtracted one. But this seems to be incorrect, and it might not have been him =P.

EDIT: DARN you guys killed my attempt at a double post AGAIN. Geez =P.

Top Bottom