• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Posting Intelligently: A Guide To Not Being An Idiot

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Posting Intelligently: A Guide To Not Being An Idiot

Good evening Smashboards, although it's still morning on the East Coast of the US. Today I'm here to talk about something that plagues these boards. It's a large problem that can often engulf intelligent conversation, swallowing it into an abyss. Not only that, but once found, it replicates and passes from person to person. Basically, it screws us over. What is it?
Stupidity.

Excuse me for the annoying introduction. Anyways, let me put it this way. Stupidity is plaguing the boards. It's not a 'now more than ever' thing; it's been there for quite some time. Unfortunately, stupidity will probably never be solved by a thread since stupidity generally caused by people who lack the common sense to follow the guidelines I'm about to provide. However, I do hope that there is some decrease in the number of spam posts.

Kirby King said:
SPAM (Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages) is a problem at every message board, and Smash World Forums are no exception. It's the crap that gets closed, and doesn't enrich the topics. Intentional or not, don't make posts that are lame, go for substance. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you shouldn't be on these boards.
-------------------------------------------------------

The most annoying form of spam that exists(in my opinion) are pointless threads. I'm going to address creating threads, since this is often one of the best ways to alleviate spam and make the boards Much cleaner.

Making a Thread

Step 1: Read the stickies
All forums tend to have stickies. I find it hard to understand why the first thing people do when visiting a board they don't generally post in isn't to read the stickies. Stickies are there because something important is being said, and you should probably be aware of it before you make a new thread. If you go to a new character board, read the stickies. It may seem overwhelming to go through four or five threads of information, but glance through at least and see if you're questioned will be answered. You can even search individual threads for key words! Do it and you will be ridiculed 75% less when you make the post.

Step 2: Check the first page
This seems like an obvious one that I think generally people tend to follow. Make sure that a thread doesn't exist with the same question or purpose as the thread you intend to make. Not only that, but also check to make sure if a quick question thread exists! Quick question threads are amazing and on most character boards that have them, questions are answered relatively quickly, and people are much more tolerant of ignorance in them. So check the first page.

Step 3: Use the search function
Brawl has been out since March of 2008. From the writing of this post and beyond, that's more than seven months. There's a very good chance that someone has asked about the same question you have or discovered the same thing as you did. About two days ago someone posted a new thread claiming they just discovered this new infinite grab release on ness/lucas. Sad, I know, but you never know. Your discovery may be very well known. Use the search function two or three times searching for key words. If nothing comes up, it's fine.

Step 4: The Post! Picking a topic title
So you're Finally ready to press that beautiful new topic button since you've already completed steps 1-3. But now you have to decide a name for your topic. People will form opinions about your topic before they even click the link. Unless the thread differs vastly from their expectations, the topic title you decide upon will influence the mind-set they read your thread with and even the manner in which they post. Often times, newbies are rather puzzled as to why they received so much flaming for posting a simple question. Often enough, they name their threads "a quick question" while a quick question->answer thread is on the first page. Pick a title that shows some degree of knowledge and that you've actually put some time and thought into the thread. If you're really excited about how awesomely intelligent your thread is, use capitalization the same way I've used it in mine(The First Letter Of Each Word). Colons are a nice touch as well and usually indicate that it's some sort of in depth analysis or important thread.

-------------------------------------------------------

Good Job! If you're posting a new thread and you've followed the simple four steps above, you're highly unlikely to get flamed. But there's still some issues that remain uncovered. The posts themselves.

Making a Post
The Really Important Part

Step 1) Think about what you're about to say
If you're message resembles one of the following, rethink if you really need to post:
-LOLOLOLOLOL
-^This 10This
-BRAWL/MELEE SUCKS! YOU'RE A NOOB
-Bowser fsmash(unless you're Gimpyfish or a mod)
-In before lock!
-*Completely unrelated topic*
-*Insert flame war here*
-:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::rocket::chainsaw::sniper::teleportg:smiliegor:uzi
(scroll down if you find that last one annoying, I know I can't stand to look at it):
Oh god my eyes...
Basically, if you're message resembles Any of those, don't post it. You still have time to save your reputation and not be eternally hated by the boards you're about to post on. Joke posts are just fine! But realize where the limit is and don't go beyond it.
Also, while going over your post, as levitas aptly pointed out in a reply, you should back up your claims with facts if it's being/going to be questioned. I'm not saying you need to prove the existence of mario in brawl, but if you're responding to someone, respond with evidence whenever possible. Avoiding the question and saying "I'm not going to dignify that with a response" will just annoy people and, eventually, make the doubt your ability to reply to an argument.
Another side-note: not all members are equal. I'm sorry but it's just the facts. Some members have earned the respect of the community and will get away with things that you just won't. When an admin or mod comes by and warns you/locks your thread, the excuse "but he/she did the same thing!" generally won't work. If you want to make joke posts without getting flamed, earn the respect of the community first, Then feel free to talk about your awesome Shaya Combo.

Step 2) Read the Other Posts
There's one thing I can't stand: when one person will respond to a thread saying something, followed by 320742034 other people saying the exact same thing. You're not a parrot. If you are, please get off these forums as I have a fear of parrots that can type. But if you're not a parrot, don't post what's already been said. I don't care if you were about to say something amazingly intelligent that would make you look reputable to the entire community, only someone else said it five minutes before you. Just don't post it unless it contributes something new. Usually, people will either ignore you entirely since you're just repeating what someone else said and they'll give you little or no credit for thinking of the idea yourself(this is also often referred to as meatriding), or someone like me will come along and declare war upon your parrot imitating ways. That's right, you're imitating a parrot. How's that for irony? Now stop it; think of the typing parrots.

Step 3) Emphasizing
I understand you may be super excited to make a post about how awesome you think *insert role model here* is or how amazingly epic that falcon punch was, but capitalizing every letter in every word is not necessary. There are actually a lot of ways you can put emphasis on things. Here are a few examples:
-Capitalize the first letter in each word
-Exclamation marks(I will shoot you if you put more than 5)
-Italics, underlining, and bold'ing
-Use epic words, like epic
-Capitalizing ONE key letter(o i c wat u did thar)
Do not be the person who uses fifty exclamation marks and tries to capitalize 90% of your post. When you post like a nub, you're viewed as a nub. The moment you try and pull stuff like that(unless you've been posting on the board long enough and are well known enough to be known as an intelligent poster) you lose all credibility and will almost certainly get flamed, ridiculed, infracted or ignored.

Step 4) Reread Your Post
I'd like to quote a web-comic called xkcd for putting it better than I ever could.
this poor fellow[/URL].

So keep it civil. If they're being stupid, the best counter is to post intelligently. I don't mean to pretend like you're more intelligent than the rest of the world and to act snobish. I mean to actually post intelligently and not blatantly pick a fight with them. Subtle jabs at a person(such as politely linking them to a thread for the uninformed, not using obvious sarcasm such as "You must place really well in *random country* don't you?") are acceptable.

------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to ask questions. I'd be happy to answer intelligent ones.
Oh wait! There's this here guide that shows you how to post those! =D
Questions & Answers Section

Are colors allowed, Mr. Feardragon Sir? =)
Colors are very much welcome! You caught me before I gave color to my title(and soon to be rest of the article). Just remember not to use blinding colors that hurt peoples eyes or you've already antagonized them.

Good read.

^ I hope that doesn't fall into the category of "unintelligent posts." =P

Because I often will post to praise someone for a thread, or a video, or some sort of discovery they've made.
Some things are meant to be posted for praise. If I have this amazing video where I do amazingly well against some top level player in a tournament match I'm probably going to post it with the expectation to wow people. I want those kinds of posts, and replies will most likely be MADE for that purpose. Sometimes just saying, that's awesome, or something along the lines is in line with what the thread expects and warrants. The important thing is to realize when the thread warrants that, and when it doesn't. =]

are you ****ing kidding me

WE GET AT LEAST 3 ****ING THREADS LIKE THIS A ****ING WEEK WHAT THE ****

LOOK AT THE GOD **** MO ****ING STICKIES NEXT TIME OR ILL FREEZE UR **** AND KICK IT OFF

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

**** son

stickies the ****

TOMOYO DOES NOT APPROVE
Thank you steel. I couldn't have put it better myself.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039

feardragon64

Smash Champion
You people respond fast. lol

Colors are very much welcome! You caught me before I gave color to my title(and soon to be rest of the article). Just remember not to use blinding colors that hurt peoples eyes or you've already antagonized them.

Step 1 : Use common Sense.
Step 2 : Profit.
Common sense is not as common as one would hope. =[

Levitas

the moon
I'm mildly surprised that you didn't say something like "back up your claims with facts" or "think logically about things"

I really hope this works, and enough people see this to make a difference.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I'm mildly surprised that you didn't say something like "back up your claims with facts" or "think logically about things"

I really hope this works, and enough people see this to make a difference.
*Stalking topic because I have another hour before class*

You have a good point. The only reason I hesitate to put that in is because not all posts will be about making a claim that needs to be defended unless questioned. A blatant, exaggerated example would be to say something about sonic and then provide proof that sonic is in brawl. A more realistic example though, would be something along the lines of speaking about a particular match-up on a character's discussion board and throwing out a number that's in the actual match-up thread. I don't think it's necessary to explain it unless asked about it, even if it is a "claim." But I see your point. I'll make note of it in the OP.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Good stuff, but as always, the people who need to read this will be the ones that don't.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
It's common.

It's just that, in fear of looking like an idiot, people fool themselves into trying to look superior than the others.
I think you're correct in many situations. I just wish they would use their common sense in trying to make themselves look good.

Good stuff, but as always, the people who need to read this will be the ones that don't.
Sad but true. I suppose it's just been too long that it hasn't been refreshed in people's minds though. Besides, if one person doesn't make an unintelligent spam post because I spent a bit of time writing instead of refreshing character boards until someone posted on them, then I'm satisfied with having made this thread.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
:chainsaw::rocket::teleportg:enforcer::ouch::uzi::burst::laser::colorgame:nes:
wayt s0 i shOuld 0r ShOuLd n0t PoSt things liek dis me r confuzzled hao i p0st rite?

Lol sorry but it had to be done. I completely agree with this thread. This thread is a great post and deserves a sticky.

Geist

Smash Master
There isn't really a thread in the Brawl section like this that is stickied is there?
That would be good, because that whole metaknight banning thing is going to bury this thread and no one will end up noticing it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I like the presentation, but there was a thread on this before:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=127270

;l

it's in the Meet&Greet section, but almost noone ever goes there/reads threads because they assume they're autoforumsmart.

With the advent of some... frustrating people, I think I'm going to be linking to this thread quite a bit.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
This is true, I hate when people respond to a post as "OMG LULLZZ?!".
Good read.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Sad how that works.
Maybe you should change the title to some troll bait, that way some of them might see this. =p
You make a very tempting point but I can't very well go and violate the rules outlined in the thread In The Same Thread. lol

I like the presentation, but there was a thread on this before:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=127270

;l

it's in the Meet&Greet section, but almost noone ever goes there/reads threads because they assume they're autoforumsmart.

With the advent of some... frustrating people, I think I'm going to be linking to this thread quite a bit.
That's pretty much why I posted this here. There's nothing like this that I could find in the brawl section. In an incredibly futile attempt to reach the appropriate audience, I figure even though this has nothing to do with the tactical aspects of brawl, this is the location that might need it the most.

And I appreciate the support for this thread. I too will be linking this to frustrating people so I don't get caught up in thinking of witty ways to flame people I hate.

Also, a very sad truth is that this thread will die and will rarely be seen without people spam posting it unnecessarily, resulting in a bump.
Oh the irony. *Goes into a corner and cries*

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, did you know that this topic is considered spam because it's in the wrong forum?

[EDIT] Terios beat me to it =/

Fino

Smash Master
Lol, did you know that this topic is considered spam because it's in the wrong forum?
Pish Posh.... this forum is one that's plagued by it. This should be here, as well as in other forums. I only say that because the sad fact is, people wouldn't read it otherwise.
Why do you torment us Stupidity?!?

~Fino

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The problem with common sense is that many of the people who lack it do not know that they lack it. They assume everyone else is wrong and they are right and will never listen to when people tell them about common sense.

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
The problem with common sense is that many of the people who lack it do not know that they lack it. They assume everyone else is wrong and they are right and will never listen to when people tell them about common sense.
Sounds like the brawl community :) :)

Also why do you people insist on makin these topics? There was one about arguing about mk intelligently. I mean if you people cant read past the spam posts why are you even on a forum? :dizzy:

smaci92

Smash Lord
Nice guide...do you mind if I post the link in the Ice Climber boards?? cause there's a lot of idiots there, and mods don't seem to pay attention to the Ice Climber boards, cause there's like 3 threads that should be stickied (and they haven't been stickied for like a month) :(

feardragon64

Smash Champion
<3 this topic. ALTHOUGH it doesn't have much to do with Brawl and it's tactical discussion does it? :3
Fino answered it, and I think I addressed it somewhere in my wall of text that even I am too lazy to reread. Re being the key part. You all shouldn't be lazy. Read it at least once, least being the key word there. >>

True enough. The world is always a depressing place isn't it yuna? Or at least smashboards is.

Also why do you people insist on makin these topics? There was one about arguing about mk intelligently. I mean if you people cant read past the spam posts why are you even on a forum? :dizzy:
Is it too much to hope for that during the shifting through spam for intelligent posts, over time more and more people will make intelligent posts, at least one of them because they read this thread and made sense to them so they consciously started doing it?
Probably, but it's a no risk, any degree of reward scenario. Besides, the last one I could find on this was in another section that's basically dead and was a year old.

Nice guide...do you mind if I post the link in the Ice Climber boards?? cause there's a lot of idiots there, and mods don't seem to pay attention to the Ice Climber boards, cause there's like 3 threads that should be stickied (and they haven't been stickied for like a month) :(
Go for it. I should be thanking you for it. Hell, maybe it'll catch on if enough people do it. *Getting hopes much higher than I should*
And mods are busy shifting through spam lol. I wouldn't be too hard on em. It's not easy being a mod.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Step 2 of Makin a Post is what I see a lot in many posts these days. However, the info here is useful and should really be mention in the Meet & Greet section.

Obvious good post is obvious. :3

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
man, that part about the parrot was hilarious, im seriously siging that, to bad the people that need to read this won't and the people who don't need to wil and just do parrot posts lol

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Too good, Fear, nice job... I really hope people do read this, I mean the ones that need to, to help clean up the Boards.

My one question is why is this in the Tactical Discussion? It would be more helpful in the GBD, that's where more spam comes from.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
"Post because you have something to say, not because you have to say something."

^This is what I follow.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
=]

Perhaps this needs a sticky. And not a sticky in the Brawl Discussion Forums, but rather somewhere where every smasher may easily locate it.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well the title intrigued me, and it was a nice read. *re-reads own post* ;3
Good job.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Firstly, I'm going to address creating threads, since this is often the most annoying form of spam that exists on the boards. Pointless threads.

Sorry, I couldn't help but notice this little mistake. "Firstly" isn't that strong of a transition into an essay. The word "firstly" should be used for objective listing primarily in speech, not in formal writing. This random tidbit is something I picked up from one of my English teachers...

It's a great post, don't get me wrong, just a miniscule error. You don't need to change it, the word "firstly" just doesn't allow the essay to flow well. Keep it in the post if you wish, it really isn't a big deal.

*Re-reads post*

It all checks out ok. I vouche for a sticky.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Too good, Fear, nice job... I really hope people do read this, I mean the ones that need to, to help clean up the Boards.

My one question is why is this in the Tactical Discussion? It would be more helpful in the GBD, that's where more spam comes from.
That forum is beyond help. I don't even know what constitutes as spam in that board anymore. Besides, the thread would be buried in 2 minutes flat.

Well the title intrigued me, and it was a nice read. *re-reads own post* ;3
Good job.
Yay! Mission accomplished! =]

Sorry, I couldn't help but notice this little mistake. "Firstly" isn't that strong of a transition into an essay. The word "firstly" should be used for objective listing primarily in speech, not in formal writing. This random tidbit is something I picked up from one of my English teachers...

It's a great post, don't get me wrong, just a miniscule error. You don't need to change it, the word "firstly" just doesn't allow the essay to flow well. Keep it in the post if you wish, it really isn't a big deal.

*Re-reads post*

It all checks out ok. I vouche for a sticky.
You're like, my hero. Thank you <3

I should probably be conservative with my bumps...

OK'Ssuka?

Smash Cadet
I read the original post and can't help but subscribe to the thread if only to bring it up when the occasion calls for it. Thank you very much.

Also, isn't the correct methodology for posting in soon-to-be locked threads, "inb4lock"?

Hah hah, no need to answer that. I understand the gist. Hah hah!

Once again, thank you. Hopefully people will benefit to your contribution to the community, and hopefully this will get stickied or referred to in one of those stickies already present in these boards.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
this is a good read and all but i don't think rules should be too strict b/c this is just a video game forum and we're here to have fun mainly, express ourselves, interact with and learn from others etc.

i can see why its important though especially in tactical forum with serious discussion

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Man this shouldn't be stickied. It should be made an announcement on all of the boards.

Actually, where do you think this will get read the most? It will most likely go down a few pages under Mk threads, then never seen again here. Heck, this could even be linked to in the rules and be better than in here, to be honest.

Still, even if this thread didn't say all of the awesome stuff that everyone should listen to in it, it still is epic due to the xkcd comic posted. I love that webcomic...

feardragon64

Smash Champion
this is a good read and all but i don't think rules should be too strict b/c this is just a video game forum and we're here to have fun mainly, express ourselves, interact with and learn from others etc.

i can see why its important though especially in tactical forum with serious discussion
I have no qualms with having fun with your post. Hell, if you look at a lot of my posts, they're maybe two or three lines that just respond without actually shedding knowledge on the meaning of life, much less Brawl's meta game. A huge part of what I was saying is that establishing yourself as someone respected in the community is posting intelligently Before you post jokingly. Almost everyone breaks these rules at some point. I do for sure. But what's important is that if you don't want to be looked at as a noob poster, unless you're some kind of god at smash already, you need to learn to post intelligently to get any respect at first.

Man this shouldn't be stickied. It should be made an announcement on all of the boards.

Actually, where do you think this will get read the most? It will most likely go down a few pages under Mk threads, then never seen again here. Heck, this could even be linked to in the rules and be better than in here, to be honest.

Still, even if this thread didn't say all of the awesome stuff that everyone should listen to in it, it still is epic due to the xkcd comic posted. I love that webcomic...
How often do people look at announcements? Probably even less than the stickies by ten fold. What percent of the time that you're on smashboards do you actually pay attention to the announcements?

Not to mention I don't think is god tier enough for Kirby King to want to do that. =b

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Bump for not getting nearly enough reads for its lifespan.

It would also be nice to have this as a place to think of ways to get the correct audiences to read these kinds of topics but meh.

Top Bottom