• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gimp Project

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Topic Rehaul, Now: The Best Way To Gimp Each Character.

Original topic was about how Reverse Aether *****, but I'm expanding the horizons.

Basically, this is a boardwide project to make a gigantic compilation for how to gimp each character successfully. Just state a character, pick a move or technique, explain and I'll put it right up.

Here's a character list in no particular order:

Marth
Game and Watch
Luigi
Falco
Ganondorf
Wolf
Lucario
Ness
Toon Link
Robot
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Diddy Kong
Pit
Meta Knight
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Snake
King Dedede
Sonic
Wario
Captain Olimar
Lucas
Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Zelda/Sheik
Peach
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Bowser

It seems really barren right now, but you'll get colors and more fun stext and Bold/Underline/Italics soon.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Uh.... What? o_o

Are you talking about ledgedropped reverse Aethers to spike people? >_> I thought doing that was..... Common?

If it's not what you're talking about, then I'm confused.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Uh.... What? o_o

Are you talking about ledgedropped reverse Aethers to spike people? >_> I thought doing that was..... Common?

If it's not what you're talking about, then I'm confused.
That's pretty much it, but most videos or conversations I see lack that.

It's not "uber rare", but I think a list is in order to help people achieve it better.

EDIT: Nice new avatar, Colaya.

•Col•

Smash Champion
That's pretty much it, but most videos or conversations I see lack that.

It's not "uber rare", but I think a list is in order to help people achieve it better.

EDIT: Nice new avatar, Colaya.
About the reverse ledgedropped aether... It's probably not used that much, because a bunch of characters have a way around it...? There are also better options against other characters...

And thanks. Me and my friends rushed to beat the ToS 2 over Thanksgiving break. It's surprisingly hard to find a good picture of Emil when he's not in Ratatosk mode. D: I didn't even want to use this one really, but it's the best I could find.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
About the reverse ledgedropped aether... It's probably not used that much, because a bunch of characters have a way around it...? There are also better options against other characters...

And thanks. Me and my friends rushed to beat the ToS 2 over Thanksgiving break. It's surprisingly hard to find a good picture of Emil when he's not in Ratatosk mode. D: I didn't even want to use this one really, but it's the best I could find.
If I wasn't half asleep, I would change this topic's name to "Best way to gimp each individual character" or something. Actually, I might just do that.

And as for Emil's picture, I'd say his status page image is decent enough:

http://cdimg3.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/07042008/e/5/c/2/e5c2b00eb95fb0_full.jpg

Uber Edit: This topic is now about gimps. Go figure.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I did consider using that pic, and I actually cut it down and had it as my avatar for about 15 minutes. It looked really bad on Smashboards though, because it was really bright and it was kind of faded and hard to see. D: To be honest, I'd really like to get a good quality image of the cut in picture of his face when he uses his Mystic Arte.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You guys fail, Marta > Emil

anyways,

there is speed hugging.... against the bad recoveries.

Speed hugging is like the only thing against Marth.

grabbing Sonic out of spring, if he's stupid enough to get caught in it. (he can AD before getting up there, but that leads to PUNISHMENT if we catch it), you can dair the spring, but good luck timing that too.

Pikachu is pretty much not getting gimped... You can spike skull bash if he is stupid enough to do it that close... Maybe predict QA? Course QA is just crazy and can go in any direction...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Apparently Dtilt can hit Charizard before his Up-B sweet spots. (Maybe it was Yoshi's Island slope tilting thing...)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh here's a witty response:

Meta Knight - You WON'T be gimping him...EVER!

Sory, but I think it's true. :/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't see MKs do the Tornado often if not ever, and not only that, but what's stopping them from the reversing the Shuttle Loop, and then initiating another one right after? That can do some nasty stuff if I'm not mistaken...

Although I admit, you win on the first Tornado statement.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
well, if they reverse shuttle loop and you're in position for a OoS bair, just shield grab... (meaning you back is facing off stage, and you're shielding) so he'll reverse shuttle loop into you

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Okay, that's punishing... still I must admit, that gimping and punishing are two different things, which still doesn't satisfy the statement "MK is going to get killed when he is recovering from a bad situation."

Palpi

Smash Hero
You can land a dtilt if your opponent is really close to ledge and you jab cancel him off the stage then dtilt. Very rare occasion but, I have had success with it...once.

•Col•

Smash Champion
That works better against the floatie characters. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to land against fastfallers, like a Fox.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Uh.... I really don't think so.... I could NEVER get it to work against Fox... Even when setting it up... >_>

•Col•

Smash Champion
Well, she's too small? >_>

I meant against someone like Samus... Or perhaps Lucario?

D

Deleted member

Metaknight is weak from above during all of his recovery moves except down B which is never used. dair spike beats all of them and usually KOs.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Time to add some personal experiences ;p

I've only added the characters that i've played against a decent player with.. <-that sentance isn't good english but oh well xD

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

Marth: Downtilt his upB, eruption works too but timing is tight.

Game and Watch Don't have a clue.. his recovery is to good imo.

Luigi: Dair predict his ->B, or just wait at the edge and downtilt him since he doesn't snap to the edge. ALSO reverse aetherspike pretty much pwns him.

Falco: downtilt his fatasm, it works I've used it. Timing is near impossible though ;p, his firebird needs no gimp..since it never reaches the stage.

Ganondorf: I usually Fair his recovery, it outranges pretty much his entire air game, and when hit right he's done for.

Wolf: I usually Fair him too, but it is possible to stand at the edge and just downtilt, since his moves sometimes 'bug'. He can be Daired, and reverse Aether works nice too.

Lucario: Since his upB does no damage, I usually just hang on the edge ;p I have yet to face a good lucario though.

Ness: Reverse Aether might work(?) don't know if it is able to bypass his PKmissle though (prioritywise)

Toon Link: edgehop->counter should work, but reverse Aether just does WONDERS ;p I know this;p

Robot: if he flies over you, aetherspike him, if he goes from down the stage, just dair him or Aether-stage-spike him. What a word...

Captain Falcon: -

Jigglypuff: -

Diddy Kong: his ->B is vunerable from above so dair / reverse aether works. upB is kinda hard since his barrels can stagespike you.

Pit: depends, if you see him us upB immidiatly hit him out of it, Fair works, or a predicted Uair. If he tries to go under the stage, run of the stage, fastfall and aether back. The aether hit should stagespike him and kill him.

Meta Knight: .... never got around to trying to gimp him, was always the other way around ;p Dair his nado, is mad fun^^

Pokemon Trainer: -

Ike: a well spaced Fair outranges his Aether, counter works too if timed right.

Snake:

King Dedede: reverse aether does wonders, and if he upB's you can even aether him again from downunder.

Sonic: -

Wario: -

Captain Olimar: one fair during his doublejump is an instant kill, just grab the edge after the hit and olimar lost a stock.

Lucas: kinda same as ness.

Mario: -

Donkey Kong: Dair from above works, since his Roflcopter is very vunerable from above. But don't know if reverse aether has enough priority to go through it, it should though.

Link: Edgehop -> Counter pretty much destroys his recovery. A stagedrop Fair also usually screws him over.

Samus: Imo very hard to gimp, never got it right;p

Kirby: -

Fox: -

Pikachu: if he's stupid enough to use ->B as recovery, punish him with...well every spike pretty much destroys it. UpB is near impossible to spike but a retreating Fair can hit him out of it resulting in another try to recover.

Zelda/Sheik: -

Peach: -

Yoshi: -

Ice Climbers: -

Bowser: spike his upB with your dair or reverse aether, pretty much same as DK when it comes down to possibilities. Do watch out for a predict, if he sees you coming he might Bowsercide you instead of his upB ;p

Zerosuit: her sideB is just begging for a spike, and she's got the same 'deathspot' as ike. If she's left/right side UNDER the stage, a good edgehog will kill her. Walk off Fair should kill her, since it brings her out of range of the edge.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike vs Ike:

Back air DESTROYS aether. it could stage spike aether on the way up. It could hit aether out of the spin. It could even hit aether during the slash down. It's just that easy. Gimping aether with back air is the best and easiest thing you could do.

It's also relatively easy to fair aether and a bit of effort to spike aether. If the Ike recovers low, fair hits just right.

A forward or back throw off near the edge of the ledge at low percents could be an easy walk off dair, since Ikes have the same aerial movement. Walk off fair is risky, because you could miss and possibly be out-aether'd and gimped, or hit him and it goes wrong for you and he QDs and edgeguards you. Unless you can walk off fair and DI back to the stage past the ledge easily, don't try it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You'll get owned by aether if you try to ftilt it. Ftilt is way too risky, because to meet the range of the ftilt, one has to predict exactly where the ike will aether beforehand, and there's only a limited section where ftilt would even hit. Not to mention if the Ike tries to stall for an extra second with a reverse aether underneath the stage, or try to get close underneath the stage to hit you with regular aether.

Bair goes entirely through Ike's aether, and it's relatively safe to use IMO above a certain height. Fair is a little easier, but less likely to gimp without hitting him more or quickly ledge grabbing.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
ummm... How is it that aether has a higher chance of hitting? Ftilt has more range and if you space it well its very safe.

If know learn how to time it you can land it pretty much every time. I actually manged to do it right away in a tournament match. If you see Ike going below to use a reverse aether then walk forward a bit if your in BF or SM start a bit more towards the center. If you aren't right at the ledge then aiming for the stage is just stupid because then you really do get a free Ftilt.

metroid1117

Smash Master
ummm... How is it that aether has a higher chance of hitting? Ftilt has more range and if you space it well its very safe.

If know learn how to time it you can land it pretty much every time. I actually manged to do it right away in a tournament match. If you see Ike going below to use a reverse aether then walk forward a bit if your in BF or SM start a bit more towards the center. If you aren't right at the ledge then aiming for the stage is just stupid because then you really do get a free Ftilt.
The problem with FTilt is that it's too easily DI'd and survived; if you get an Ike who knows how to DI off-stage at low %, why FTilt and give him a chance to live instead of out-right gimping him with BAir (if you're in the proper position to do so)? However, if they're at the high 90s or 100s, FTilt will work fine.

Spiking Kirby/Ike out of their up+Bs with DAir is fun but unreliable.

@Royta: Reverse Aether will out-prioritize DK's up+B; you can see this in action in Griever's combo video "Power Hungry." Olimar can also be screwed over by revese Aether.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Marth - This can be a pain. He can use Side B to mess up your timing or to move himself into a better position. Best bet would be to time speed hug and hope for the best. Reverse aether is too risky, he can stagespike you out of it with his own Up B.

Game and Watch - Not happening unless it's Green Greens or Distant Planet and you have one of the produced projectiles.

Luigi - All of his recovery methods are pwn'd by Eruption. He can't out stall it either if you don't charge it too early. If he's going above, Aether him. You can also try to be fancy and Bair stage spike him, but it's safer just to Eruption or reverse aether him.

Falco - If it's after a walk-off fair, just aether back to the ledge. He'll be too low for anything other then firebird, which equals death. If it's not from that, go for either a dtilt or an angled ftilt on the phantom.

Ganondorf - Eruption and Dair both work well. Just don't get too close to him due to the messed up grab range on his Up B. Also, if your right on the edge, his side B can take you down with him.

Wolf - His side B has the most start up out of the spacies, which means you have more time to go for a dtilt or angled ftilt. It's fairly harsh if he sweetspot you with his side B though. I'd even be willing to try to Fsmash him, to prevent him from flying right over me safely.

Lucario - Hard to do. Walk-off Fair is the best bet as it has the most range. Walk-off Uair might work as well.

Ness - Walk-off Fair if he's close enough. If you're at low enough %, jump into his Up B and activate counter.

Toon Link - Eruption, Dair, Counter. Just be smart with it, His Up B stage spike if you get hit at the wrong moment.

Robot - Try to get him while he's still flying. Bait an airdodge and punish it if you can.

Captain Falcon - Same idea as Ganondorf, except his Side B is a spike, not a suicide.

Jigglypuff - Good luck. >_> You should be outright KOing her. Well spaced fairs and aethers maybe?

Diddy Kong - Fair the Side B, same with Up B. Just don't get rocket'd.

Pit - If he's using Up B, he's dead. Otherwise, you aren't going to hit him.

Meta Knight - I'd personally try to counter or Eruption, but I doubt it would work.

Pokemon Trainer - Squirtle you should be outright KOing. If not, Fair him. Charizard is the biggest target of the 3, but with the best recovery due to 3 jumps + glide. Dtilt or Dair Fly, Fair Glide. Ivy is a tether. Just knock him far away from the ledge and ledge hug him. If he grabs, go for a Dair right along his tether line. If he moves up, he gets spiked. If he stays, he gets knocked upwards and possibly stage spiked.

Ike - Dair the spinning part of the blade, or ftilt it.

Snake - Dair has enough range, but Fair is safer.

King Dedede - Aether if he goes high, Dair or Eruption if he goes low.

Sonic - Dair if he springs right under the ledge. Maybe Fair if he's using a spin attack.

Wario - Dtilt. his Up B doesn't have a sweetspot, and should hit far enough into his bike to get him.

Captain Olimar - See Ivy.

Lucas - Eruption perhaps? A bit more tricky then Ness as his Up B goes through things. Might be easier to get counter in though.

Mario - Reverse Aether.

Donkey Kong - Dair.

Link - Counter or Dair.

Samus - Dair.

Kirby - Dair or edge hug.

Fox - Dtilt or Ftilt.

Pikachu - Eruption maybe?

Zelda/Sheik - Hard to do.......Eruption?

Peach - Dtilt if she's using her Up B to grab the ledge.

Yoshi - Dtilt or Ftilt.

Ice Climbers - Eruption.

Bowser - Dair.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Charizard's fly has SAF's and auto-sweetspots if close enough. Otherwise it makes sense.

How early do you guys activate Dtilt? I'm having problems with the timing. So much easier to Eruption. lol...

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
With Ness, all you have to do is walk off and take the PK thunder hit and then recover easily.

As for Meta Knight, I've done a lot of different ways to gimp.

For Shuttle Loop: I've countered then walkoff daired, Aether spiked, Dtilt spiked, eruption, and Usmashed to the high heavens.

For Screw attack (Side B): Retreating Fair, Usmash, Dair, Eruption, Dtilt, Bair, All work when MK has high dmg.

For Tornado: Fsmash dat ho or one of the many moves Ike has priority over.

For Shadow Cape: Edgehog and if he manages to hit you with the shadow cape, wall tech and recover while he falls to his doom.

Top Bottom