• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boxob's super important incredible edible mind games thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B%B

Smash Cadet
I find that when I'm at medium distance and I want to fake my opponents out, shff'd Uair really gets the job done.

SideB cancel > uair, uair, uair. Keep getting closer. If they put a shield up, you can run in grab. There's no lag when hit the ground cause it autocancels if you time it right, so it makes for some speedy mindgames.

If they jump, UAIR! :D

Uair's too good.

What do YOU like to do to fake out your opponents?

:093:

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I like letting them attempt to fake me out with uair spam approaches, and then just ftilting the **** out of them.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Short hopped fast falled up air works for me, too. Also, Spring > Down Air > Forward/Up Air right before landing. I haven't been using Sonic long enough to know how to do much else...

Last time I tried to get all flashy in a Sonic ditto CiTH jab locked me. :crying:

B%B

Smash Cadet
Short hopped fast falled up air works for me, too. Also, Spring > Down Air > Forward/Up Air right before landing. I haven't been using Sonic long enough to know how to do much else...

Last time I tried to get all flashy in a Sonic ditto CiTH jab locked me. :crying:
CiTH Jab locked you?!

You musta really ****ed up.

B%B

Smash Cadet
A topic about mindgames, applications, and funny stories to ensue in discussing the aforementioned. I don't see what's wrong with it.

There is no need for such pessimism, ShadowLink84. ^_^

infomon

Smash Scientist
... a thread about Sonic's fake-out approaches seems reasonable to me.

I like using shield-cancelled SD charges... a lot..... many of them..... They can often provoke a reaction on their own, which means I can punish, since I'm Sonic :) But it's when they start expecting the repeated SCSD's to be empty, that the real fun starts.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
keep this thread open for a while, one of these days im going to completely flood it with rediculous crap

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
that sounds like something i would do, if you are punishing lag with a down air, you are either really great at sonic or straight up terrible with him

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm disappointed by the amount of people that try to tilt, smash, dash attack, or jump an aerial at me when I stand slightly inside their roll range (out of their attack range) and charge side-B.

>_>

They beg for punishment.

B%B

Smash Cadet
I'm disappointed by the amount of people that try to tilt, smash, dash attack, or jump an aerial at me when I stand slightly inside their roll range (out of their attack range) and charge side-B.

>_>

They beg for punishment.
I'm jealous that you play people that stupid.

Tenki

Smash Hero
they donno matchups :3

edit:
just wondering, to get a feel for things:
if a Sonic went up outside of your immediate attack range and started charging side-B, what WOULD you do?

This is assuming you're familiar with Sonic's tricks.

B%B

Smash Cadet
Me personally?

I don't think I could find myself in that situation too often seeing as my main approach is dash attack, spinshot and DownB.

But if I were to be caught in said situation. I'd probably VSDJ> Bair.

Tenki

Smash Hero
err..

if you were using another character and a Sonic player starts charging side-B just outside of your attack range, what would you, the non-Sonic do?

B%B

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I mostly use Sonic. But I'll list what I'd do as my Secondaries.

Falcon: Dash attack> follow up.
Yoshi: Dash attack > jab combo >repeat.
Diddy: Jump behind bair?
Marth: You're never too far for a Fsmash lololol
Puff: fair
Link: Jump away and angle a boxoboomerang at them.
Mario: fireball.
Luigi: Fireball/nado.
DK: Jump out of the way.
Wolf: See marth.
Samus:Dash attack.
Fox: Dash attack.

Tenki

Smash Hero
That's the problem though

exceptfor Diddy, Puff, Link, DK, and the Mario bros, I can just shield cancel and punish :3

B%B

Smash Cadet
Well Tenki you can't expect me to be any good this game. I just joined this site and only have 25 posts.

-_-

Napilopez

Smash Lord
lol B%B loll

Me personally, I might just try to wait and be patient a bit until Sonic's SideB is fully charged, that way you cant shield cancel it. Although you can still use invincy frames or VSDJ or whatevers to get past me, at least it removes one of your options.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
What happens though when they go to grab you?
In that case you can either escape with VSDJ, or you can just release charge through them, as invincy frames will prevent you from being grabbed ^_^. I think after the invincy frames are over, the height of the hop also makes it more difficult for you to be grabbed. Come to think of it, I can't remember ever being grabbed out SideB hop.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
they donno matchups :3

edit:
just wondering, to get a feel for things:
if a Sonic went up outside of your immediate attack range and started charging side-B, what WOULD you do?

This is assuming you're familiar with Sonic's tricks.

the natural responce would be to back off, and possibly try to counter the roll, if it ever came out. knowing me, I'd probably dash a at them and pass them, because I figure that if it was me, i would be cancelling it as a fake soon. it depends on how the sonic proves himself to be good, i guess its what im saying.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
err..

if you were using another character and a Sonic player starts charging side-B just outside of your attack range, what would you, the non-Sonic do?
DeDeDe
F-tilt

even if you shield cancel, A down tilt will probably stop you in your tracks.
But I'm the only Sonic player I know and never got to face one... ever.. lol
So I'm not too sure.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
Well if i were sonic. i would u-b and then punish if he got knocked up.

if i was a short character, i would duck... and let him go over me

if i were a big character.. then i would be screwed...

Tenki

Smash Hero
DeDeDe
F-tilt

even if you shield cancel, A down tilt will probably stop you in your tracks.
But I'm the only Sonic player I know and never got to face one... ever.. lol
So I'm not too sure.
Well, the premise of the idea is that if you try to attack me while I'm charging side-B, your attack gets shielded and I punish you. Let's give a 'worse' case scenario and say that if Dedede F-tilts me, I just normal shield, instead of powershield it (because if you time it correctly, you can actually stand out of range of Dedede's F-tilt and run in and grab while he's pulling his hammer back lol), and I don't punish right away out of player fault, so we're both left in a neutral state. I walk/run forward, and you D-tilt. I shield the D-tilt and get a grab.

?_?

Well if i were sonic. i would u-b and then punish if he got knocked up.

if i was a short character, i would duck... and let him go over me

if i were a big character.. then i would be screwed...
I'm not sure what situation you're answering lol. I'm saying the Sonic is charging side-B, but can still shield cancel - not necessarily releasing it in the normal fashion.

Though I'm pretty sure spring beats out pretty much any spindash approach lol.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's noticed.

This is Boxob's way of redeeming himself/proving he can be productive.

lol

Oh and:

CiTH Jab locked you?!

You musta really ****ed up.

lol **** you

Next time we play (if I ever get the chance to play)

I'll be sure to get you in a jab lock. On FD.

And record it. Youtube it. Enjoy it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if that situation happens to me, i use my projectile, or i wait until you hit full charge and cant cancel. or i roll behind you

Tenki

Smash Hero
The best choices are really for projectile characters, because they can force Sonic to reset from that point.

Waiting until the end of the charge is also good, but then there's always the chance that Sonic will shield cancel just before full charge and start again, or VSDJ, etc.

Rolling towards Sonic isn't a good idea if he's not fully charged though, due to obvious reasons like shield cancel -> reverse grab OoS

How strange :3

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hm...so I guess we can treat this thread like Tenki's pop quiz thread? Well, I have a scenario of my own.

YOU'RE Sonic.
Hanging from the ledge and your opponent is standing right outside the range of your roll. If you roll, you will be punished.

What should you do? I personally think the "comeback/get-up attack" would fail here, simply because if he/she is outside the roll range, the attack will miss and you will be punished.

I was thinking maybe fall down, SideB "roll over" the edge approach, or perhaps try to reverse SideB (falling) and bair if opponent approaches.

Discuss?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol, seriously?

I mean, it could work, but if you're playing against someone like Marth with a really good edgeguard, it might not help much. There aren't a lot of things you can do OUT of a spring.

Unless of course, you let yourself fall low, recover with spring and do something like a rising fair/uair...that would probably be a good option.
(I'm just going to go ahead and assume this is what you meant)

B%B

Smash Cadet
Depends on what character I'm facing. I'm going to go so low and so close that I get grab gimped.

Another good option would be to travel to the other side of the stage, underneath it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Another good option would be to travel to the other side of the stage, underneath it.

I've tried this before and it doesn't really work for me >_>
I usually get edgehogged or just get stuck in the same situation I was in last time...

Maybe that's just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom