• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UVIC Bi-Weekly Tournaments (Feb 14th Results up, next tourney still TBA)

liverymen

Smash Apprentice

Finally Vancouver Island has a smash scene thanks to the organization of the UVIC Smash Club
We're offering bi-weekly tournaments to ANYONE who wishes to enter! Bring your friends, bring your johns, and byoc!

So let's get this all straight, kay?

Firstly, what are UVIC Bi-Weeklies?

Basically they're smash brothers brawl and melee tournaments for Vancouver Islanders (or anyone who feels like traveling to the events!). They happen every 2 weeks on saturdays at uvic. The information for these tourneys can be found on this site! It will be updated whenever something changes. Tell your friends about them!

What events are there and how much are they?
At the moment UVIC Bi-weekly tourneys will feature Smash Melee singles for $10 per person, Smash Melee doubles for $10 per team, Smash Brawl singles for $10 per person, and Smash Brawl Doubles for $10 per team! In the future we may have events such as smash 64 singles/faa, smash melee falcon only, smash brawl items FFA etc etc etc.

When/where is the next tournament?
Next tourney is on an uncertain date. It'll be posted as soon as I know it. prolly a few weeks or something. registration at 11:30am, tourney starts at 12:30pm. The room is A125 of the Engineering and Computer Science Building (ESC) at UVIC in the ring road.. Here's a map. http://www.uvic.ca/buildings/ecs.html

RULES
First of all, the events are located at a university, so we expect good behavior from everyone. There should be no loitering near any classrooms other than the room where the tourney is in. You're still welcome to leave the tourney room to go out and eat though, since there are takeout restaurants nearby after all. No food/drink is permitted in the tourney room, please eat outside it. UVIC students are having exams around this time so please keep all noise inside the tourney room (yes, you can be noisy INSIDE the room, it's pretty sound proof), not outside it. Please be respectful of all your fellow players and anyone else who happens to be nearby. We won't hesitate to kick you out if you do anything too inappropriate. Your tournament hosts are Francis aka Liverymen and Mat aka Hillary; look for them if you need help with anything.

Melee Singles
$10 entry fee. Pot split 50/25/10/5.
Bring your own controller (no wavebird)
4 stock
Time Limit: 8:00. If time is up and stocks are equal, lower % wins. If % is tied, then rematch 1 stock match on same stage.
All items off.
Matches are best 2 out of 3 in regular bracket and best 3 of 5 in semi finals/finals, of best 2 of 3 sets in finals (winner, loser, grand).
Each player may ban one stage for the entire set.
First match chosen is random from the list of neutral stages. Following the first match, loser of previous match picks new stage, winner picks character, loser picks character, and 2nd match is started.
When counterpicking, the player may not pick a stage that they last won on.
Neutral stages: Final destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon stadium, and Marth Story.
Banned: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi’s Island, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom I, and Mushroom Kingdom II
If both players agree, a banned stage may be counterpicked.

Melee Doubles
$10 entry fee per team. Pot split 50/30/10.
Bring your own controller (no wavebird)
4 stock
Time Limit: 8:00. If time is up and stocks are equal, lower % wins. If % is tied, then rematch 1 stock match on same stage.
All items off.
Matches are best 2 out of 3 in regular bracket and best 3 of 5 in semi finals/finals, of best 2 of 3 sets in finals (winner, loser, grand).
First match chosen is random from the list of neutral stages. Following the first match, loser of previous match picks new stage, winner picks character, loser picks character, and 2nd match is started.
When counterpicking, the player may not pick a stage that they last won on.
Neutral stages: Final destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Pokemon stadium, and Marth Story.
Banned: Fountain of Dreams, Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi’s Island, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom I, and Mushroom Kingdom II

Brawl Singles
$10 entry fee. Pot split 50/25/10/5.
Bring your own controller (no wavebird), classic/nun chuck allowed
3 stock
time limit: 8:00
matches are best 2 of 3 for regular and best 3 of 5 for finals (winner, loser, grand)
all items off.
after first match, loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
Player may not select stage they last won on when counterpicking.
Stage striking is allowed for first matches in each set ONLY.
Neutral: battlefield, Final destination, Smashville, Yoshi's island, delfino plaza, halberd, castle seige, lylatt cruise.
Counterpick: Pokemon stadium 1, brinstar, corneria, frigate orpheon, jungle japes, norfair, pirate ship, rainbow cruise, green greens, onett
Banned: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Pokémon Stadium 2, Pictochat, Distant Planet, 75m, Big Blue, Bridge of Eldin, Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow, Hyrule Temple, Mario Bros., Mushroomy Kingdom I, Mushroomy Kingdom II, New Pork City, Rumble Falls, Shadow Moses, Spear Pillar, The Summit, Wario Ware, Port Town Aero Dive, Skyworld, Mario Circuit, Green Hill Zone, Luigi's Mansion
If both players agree, one of the banned stages may be counterpicked.

Brawl Doubles
$10 entry fee per team. Pot split 50/30/10.
Bring your own controller (no wavebird), classic/nun chuck allowed
3 stock
time limit: 8:00
matches are best 2 of 3 for regular and best 3 of 5 for finals (winner, loser, grand)
all items off.
friendly fire on.
after first match, loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
Player may not select stage they last won on when counterpicking.
Each team may ban one stage for the entire set.
No stage striking
Neutral: battlefield, Final destination, Smashville, Yoshi's island, delfino plaza, halberd, castle seige, lylatt cruise.
Counterpick: Pokemon stadium 1, brinstar, corneria, frigate orpheon, jungle japes, norfair, pirate ship, rainbow cruise, green greens, onett
Banned: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Pokémon Stadium 2, Pictochat, Distant Planet, 75m, Big Blue, Bridge of Eldin, Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow, Hyrule Temple, Mario Bros., Mushroomy Kingdom I, Mushroomy Kingdom II, New Pork City, Rumble Falls, Shadow Moses, Spear Pillar, The Summit, Wario Ware, Port Town Aero Dive, Skyworld, Mario Circuit, Green Hill Zone, Luigi's Mansion
If both players agree, one of the banned stages may be counterpicked.

64 Singles
$10 entry fee. Pot split 50/30/10
Bring your own controller (we provide spares, but they're sub-par quality).
5 stock
All items off
Matches are best 2 of 3, and best 3 of 5 for all finals (winner, loser, grand).
Each player may ban one stage for the set. Dreamland cannot be banned (neutral)
First stage is Dreamland.
After the first match the loser announces a stage, the winner picks character, loser picks character. You cannot choose a stage you have previously won on.
Neutral: Dreamland
Counterpick: Peach’s Castle, Kongo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Planet Zebes, Saffron City.
Banned: Mushroom Kingdom, Yoshi’s Story, Sector Z.
DK's cargo is allowed. If the opponent does not wiggle out, you must throw them or you will be called for stalling.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
Feb 14th Results!!

Brawl Singles

1. Ewic (split pot)
2. Liverymen (split pot)
3. Robo42
4. PC
5. Blue Yoshi
5. OSP
7. Grimice
7. Pie
9. Nybb
9. Corrup
9. Max

Brawl Doubles

1. Team Pwnage
2. Quiet Liver
3. PC Macs
4. 42 Apple Pies
5. OSP+Blue Yoshi

64 Singles

1. Blue Yoshi
2. Lisum
3. Fool
4. Nybb
5. OSP

Jan 31st Results!!
A bunch of new people came. for brawl and melee! very surprising on the melee side, glad to see people are interested in that fast **** game : ). Anyways... tounrey took hecka long. WE'RE GONA GET MORE TVS LOl maybe that'll help.

Melee Singles

1. Kuriko (finals did not occur because both players had to leave, they'll prolly be done at next smash night or something)
1. Daltsy
3. Daze
4. Liverymen
5. Hillary
5. talking_chicken
7. Blue Yoshi
9. Taffy

Melee Doubles

1. Kuriko + Daze
2. Daltsy + Liverymen
3. talking_chicken + Blue Yoshi
4. Taffy + Hillary
5. Mak + JC
5. Liri + Pos

Brawl Singles

1. Liverymen
2. Ewic
3. PC
4. Hillary
5. Love-Buzz
5. Kyle 2
7. Koila
7. Blue Yoshi
9. Max?
9. talking_chicken
9. Pie
9. Fool
13. Nevakanezah
13. Nybb
13. Briefcase

Brawl Doubles

1. Liverymen + Briefcase
2. Ewic + PC
3. talking_chicken + Blue Yoshi
4. Hillary + Lovebuzz
5. Pie + Max?
5. Fool + NGG

64 Singles

1. Blue Yoshi
2. Love-Buzz
3. talking_chicken
4. Nybb
5. NGG

Jan 17th Results!!
Our 2nd tourney, with people from unexpected places made us happy (cowichan river, port alberni, noth van). There were more people at this one, and most of them were new, so that was good. It seems clear that many people show up for specific events, so next tourney we're probably going to do all the events at the same time so that things run more quickly. Thanks to all who showed up.

Melee Singles
1. Kuriko
2. Daltsy
3. Daze
4. Hillary
5. Liverymen
5. Hershey
7. Taffy
7. Blue Yoshi
9. K11
9. Jam

Brawl Singles

1. Ewic
2. A6M_Zero
3. Hillary
4. Breifcase
5. Liverymen
5. Xoltar
7. Corruption
7. Blue Yoshi
9. Hershey
9. Jam
9. Lisum
9. Nybb
13. H2UA
13. Scizan
13. K11
13. Grimmace
17. Nevakanezah

Brawl Doubles!

1. Game and Yoshi (Hillary + Blue Yoshi)
2. The Penguin Farm Team (A6M_Zero + Xoltar)
3. Team Pwnage (Ewic + Grimmace)
4. Case of Liver (Liverymen + Briefcase)
5. BATTLESNAKE! (Lisum + Nybb)
7. The Cunning Linguists (Corruption + Nevazanezah)

64 Singles

1. Blue Yoshi
2. Liverymen
3. Brett
4. Lisum
5. Jam
5. K11
7. Nybb

Dec 13th Results!
First of all thanks to all those who came out! This was our first ever tourney and I think we can say it went pretty well. We've also got an idea about how to make it better and more efficient for next time! By the way feel free to stay as laste as you want guys. A lot of us stayed and played til 8am the next morning x.x!!!

Melee Singles
1. Meta (Evan)
2. Kuriko (Howard)
3. Rusty Shacklefurd (Nathan)
4. Hilary (Mat C)
5. DaZe (Matt P)
5. Stryk9 (Jason)
7. Tony
7. Blue Yoshi (Rob)
9. Cody

Brawl Singles
1. A6M_Zero (Nic)
2. Liverymen (Francis)
3. Yaya
4. Cody
5. Hilary
5. Corrup
7. Blue Yoshi (Rob)
7. Link2Man22
9. VLAD
9. Mr. T
9. Sky
9. Briefcase
13. L-e-x
13. Nybb

Brawl Doubles!
1. Liverymen + A6m_Zero
2. Rusty Shacklefurd + Meta
3. Apples of Adventurous Skill

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
tony!!!! its not set in stone, and we want a lot of people to win moola so they come back. unlike win***z like u who win every event every time. thats practically stealing ;(
how could you tony.... steal from all of us ;(
i thot u were cool ;(
Edit: just realized theres no such thing as 5th place in a tourney! har har har har har harh arharh ra h auhuehaeuheaahu

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I know you guys are trying to get more people, but why not have a $10 entry fee? It seems to attract enough people to the SFU tournaments and I don't know what the turnout size you'll get is, but you won't get much money in the end if only four or five people join a tournament at a $5 entry fee.

And I always thought 60/30/10 was standard enough. I mean, for the 5% to be worth it, you'd need 20 people to join, and I don't even think SFU gets 20 person Melee singles tournaments.

Anyway, I'm willing to help run these once I get back in a few weeks.

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
I'm with Matt on this one, $10 is a fine entry fee. It's not like the $5 fee is going to attract anyone who wouldn't normally come and I doubt we'll be getting a huge turnout for a while. Also, yeah the reward money could stand for a bit of revision.

Metà

Smash Master
I might go to this if the entrance fee is $10. Might. But, I've only ever been to Vancouver island once, and I'd need to find someone to travel with me.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
I might go to this if the entrance fee is $10. Might. But, I've only ever been to Vancouver island once, and I'd need to find someone to travel with me.
my place is free to stay at if u decide to come. directions to get to anywhere in bc are reaaalllyyy easy, so if u decide to come just tell meh. its prolly gona be small since this is our first one and we have less than a week to advertise at this point.

EDIT: anyways yea, I kinda wanted ten dolla entrance free from the start, just put five cuz it makes it more casual and I loooooove it casual =p. Anyways it's 10 now but the way the pot is being split is not changing. top 4 get money in singles, top 3 in doubles.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
maybe in a trip to Van I could go here after for one. Gotta be worth it though cause I'm like a billion miles away so I'll just wait until they're regularly good size. But I'll come when the time comes.

Metà

Smash Master
Okay, so I will likely be going to this, as long as I'm able to reschedule my music lesson (if that doesn't work, I can't go). If I go I'll be bringing Yakal, and we'll probably get there Friday evening. Is that cool with you Francis?

Also, we'll try to bring consoles, but no TV's. Anyone interested in SSB64 friendlies?

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, what's the last 10% for in the pots (seeing as the splits only add to 90%)? Venue fees? Renting equipment? Bad math? :p

Edit: By the way, for those that need directions to UVic from the boats (Francis, feel free to copy this into one of your posts):

By car (travel time, about a half hour from the moment you get off the ferry):

- Take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay (you could go to Nanaimo, but that's a much longer drive)
- Keep going straight on Hwy 17/Pat Bay Highway until you see the exit that says "Mackenzie Avenue"
- Eventually you'll enter the area on the map (the part that says "Mackenzie Avenue")
- Follow the map until you get there.

By bus (About an hour and a half, I think it's about $2.50 per person, but UVic students get upasses, so I don't really know):

- Take the #70 from the terminal.
- Wait a very long time (it goes through Sidney and Saanich before it hits Victoria).
- Eventually you'll come around Town and Country Mall, get off the bus right before it turns on Saanich Road.
- Get to the bus stop on the other side of Saanich Road (opposite the mall) (it's quite obvious, it's a glass structure with a bench)
- Take the #26 to UVic all the way to the end.
- You'll be in front of the bookstore. Follow the map to the proper building.

The above bus route is just one way; you could also get off the 70 at the Royal Oak Exchange and take the 39 to UVic, or take the 70 all the way downtown and take the #4 to UVic. I'm not sure which is fastest, it depends on the day and time you leave. Be warned, the 39 doesn't run on Sundays, if you want to go back that way.

Also, alternatively, you could get off at the stop right before the bookstore (in front of the big residence building) on most of these buses (not sure about the 39) depending on which building the tournament is in. If it's always the EOS building, then this stop is a much closer stop (it stops right in front of it).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
did someone say 64? is there actually someone who is willing to play 64? are my eyes working properly? :p

I'm up for 64. Most people here don't play it, so I'm basically stuck to online play (using the keyboard). Haven't played on the console in such a long time.

EDIT: anyways yea, I kinda wanted ten dolla entrance free from the start, just put five cuz it makes it more casual and I loooooove it casual =p. Anyways it's 10 now but the way the pot is being split is not changing. top 4 get money in singles, top 3 in doubles.
free? you'll definitely get casual that way :p

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
Also, alternatively, you could get off at the stop right before the bookstore (in front of the big residence building) on most of these buses (not sure about the 39) depending on which building the tournament is in. If it's always the EOS building, then this stop is a much closer stop (it stops right in front of it).
Only for the first one. Uvic told francis that they wanted to save that room for more important uses if they ever came up since it's such a big room. For the biweeklies after this one, they'll be in ECS 125, which is the big *** room we used in ECS after you left us.

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
SWEET!! I've missed ECS. Our new building seems so cold and impersonal. ECS always made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
we won't have to haul the tvs as far either. However, our room we're in for the wednesdays isn't going to change. Only the room we have for biweeklies is going to switch to ECS because remember: that room in ECS on wednesdays has classes in it until 7pm

Metà

Smash Master
Me, Nathan, and Yakal are now officially confirmed for this. We'll be bringing a Wii, an N64 (only 1 controller though), and a VCR. Anything else we need to bring? I can try to bring an RF adaptor or 2 if anyone needs them.

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
Seems like it should be a decent turnout for our first tournament. I wouldn't mind a few more of the higher ranked B.C.ers, but I'm sure we'll get them eventually.

Metà

Smash Master
Okay, so here's what we're bringing or will try to bring:
-Two Wii's (two copies of Melee, one copy of Brawl)
-N64 + SSB (only one controller though)
-1 or 2 RF adaptors (I have to find them -_-;)
-VCR? should Nathan bring his?
-**** (guaranteed)

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
if you're bringing ****, bring some butter as well or something...or just leave the **** at home altogether.

VCR will be nice to have. We have no video capture equipment at all so...anything to do that sort of thing would be nice. I have an extra RF adapter to bring in case Evan so don't sweat it, as Howard has my other one. RFs only go into gc's and 64s anyways so...yeah.

Also, if I show up on time, bring me a melee doubles partner. I don't play Zelda in tourney anymore, I swear :p

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Man, I wish I could come, but I have an exam Saturday morning. Do me proud, CSC

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
Definitely bring the VCR. As Mat said, we have absolutely no recording equipment. So it'd be nice to be able to record the finals at least.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
i mean..i have a spare vcr at home, but nothing to get video to my laptop after tapes are recorded.

link2man22

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sindori
I am one of the "scrubs" that A6M was talking about and I can bring a Wii with Brawl and a component cable converter so it will work on the ancient TVs but this is only if the hump is looking good tomorrow.

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna take a guess that Evan or whoever owns that VCR does have a way to get videos from a tape to a computer, so you could bring the VCR and just give the tapes to them. That way everyone can have a good time.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
What is actually required for recording? I'm pretty sure my household has at least one working VCR around (there's also a second one that might be broken). I can't bring it to this tourney since I'm busing, but I'll probably be driving in the future and therefore able to bring it along to future biweeklies if we need it.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Well, there are a few ways of doing it. One is the ghetto "off-screen camera" method that we have used in the past to some success (see youtube profiles in my sig for more info on that). You could also use a VCR, but you'd need some sort of way to capture the tape and put it onto a computer (some kind of video capture card. I have one, actually, but we were never able to find software that works with Vista at the time, though I did find one once after googling for it). The forums here actually have some topics for using capture cards, they're hidden away in one of the video subforums (I'm too lazy to find the name or link it). This usually leads to good quality video, but it's slow to record, since you've got to play the entire clip you want recorded, then edit it as necessary. You could go the route of direct capture and record the matches as you go with a capture card, but you'd need some kind of splitter cable in order to make it work (and I've tried to find them without success, unfortunately). Another possibility (which is somewhat viable considering we're funded by the university) is to just buy a DVD recorder and record onto DVD-RWs. It's the most expensive solution, but probably the most convenient solution that gives you good quality video, since you don't have to worry about format conversion or re-recordings.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
unfortunately, I have no dvd recorder that can leave the house by i mean...would we be able to fund that? I mean...those cost like...lots of money

If we can, sign me up. i have like...4 dvd-rws we could use

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
i seriously love you guy for doing these tournys on a day i can actually show up woo

im gunna get you in 64 one day rob be ready
:p
-Jamey

Top Bottom