• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages to Ban

Deoxys

Smash Lord
In general, what are the best stages for MK to ban? Obviously, your opponent's main and your secondary (if you have any), factor in heavily, but what are the worst stages for MK in general?

I already think that Green Greens is bad for MK against certain characters, as well as Corneria (although it is debated) and Yoshi's Island (Melee), largely due to their low ceilings. Most tournaments ban GG and Corneria, and many ban Yoshi's as well. What are we left with? Of the remaining stages, Final Destination, Halberd, Pirate Ship, and Brinstar come to mind. What do you guys think? Am I the only one who does't like Pirate Ship for MK?

magikguy

Smash Lord
yeah pirate ship doesn't do any good for metaknight that will give an advatage , also the stage hazards are lame , the sea doesn't help either .

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Yoshi's Island (melee), Green Greens, and Corneria are probably the worst stages. FD can also be pretty bad.
Corneria is actually a great stage for MK if the MK knows how to fight on it.

Banning stages is mostly just dependent on the match-up you're facing:

Diddy: FD
Falco: Jungle Japes
DK: Brinstar
Ike: Pirate Ship

etc.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Corneria is actually a great stage for MK if the MK knows how to fight on it.

Banning stages is mostly just dependent on the match-up you're facing:

Diddy: FD
Falco: Jungle Japes
DK: Brinstar
Ike: Pirate Ship

etc.
I get that (in fact I said it in the OP), but I want to know which stages are the worst for MK in general. And not just the three worst.

I still say Corneria is bad against Snake and Pikachu.

Staco

Smash Champion
Brinstar is very good for the tornado.
DK will have problems with it.
And the yellow thing can save you, if he spikes you.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I still say Corneria is bad against Snake and Pikachu.
IMO corneria isnt bad because dsmash kills at ridiculous percents near the edge (close blast zones), shuttle loop to wing is too good, and dtilt lock is broken. the only downside is a low cieling, and is bad against chars with good vertical KO power (snake)

K 2

Smash Lord
um...How is pikachu good on corneria?

I would ban Corneria or Green Greens against G&W, as they are two of G&W's best stages.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Well, smashville is smaller than fd. He can pretty much cover the whole stage with mortar slide. Its nice and flat like fd, plus he has a platform, which he can plant c4's on and camp. I got camped with grenades when he was on top of the platform once. Not fun. At ALL.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Halberd is my second counterpick stage :D
After Rainbow Cruise? I don't see what it has on Delfino, let alone Luigi's Mansion or Skyworld.

the moving platform can sometime save snakes *** too :p
How? I'm not seeing it....

Honestly, I usually just arbitrarily ban Final Destination unless I know my opponent likes a particular stage.
Infinity, is that when Yoshi's Island (Melee) is banned, or do you hate FD more than YI(M)? Also, do you have a secondary? It is key to know for me to evaluate your advice.

How do other people feel about the post quoted here? Personally, I'd rather ban Pirate Ship or YI(M), assuming I plan to stick with MK no matter what. Since my Ike isn't bad, I might just ban FD and fallback on Ike for those courses.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
After Rainbow Cruise? I don't see what it has on Delfino, let alone Luigi's Mansion or Skyworld.
1 - Delfino
2 - Norfair or Halberd (it depends on my mood, I'll pick either one based on how I feel)
3 - Halberd or Norfair (see above)

^ Those are my primary counterpicks in order. I change them up a lot from time to time to keep myself on my feet though. I used to counterpick Brinstar, Distant Planet and Luigi's Mansion, but I got bored with those stages and I only use them when I know there's some kind of a huge advantage on them (i.e Luigi's Mansion vs Wario). I'm not sure why, I've just never been a big fan of Skyworld or Rainbow Cruise though I do perfectly fine on both.

Please don't ask why though. I pick stages because I think they're fun, not for any logical reason :p I <3 staircasing on Norfair :chuckle::chuckle:

Infinity, is that when Yoshi's Island (Melee) is banned, or do you hate FD more than YI(M)? Also, do you have a secondary? It is key to know for me to evaluate your advice..
I don't mind Yoshi's Island. I'm actually very good at being a complete jerk with Shuttle Loop on that stage and there are a million things to tech on there so dying isn't really a problem. I'm not actively worried about being chain grabbed off the side of the stage, so I'm pretty indifferent to Yoshi's.

I typically ban FD because there's nothing to play around with there. It makes positioning a ton harder, plus my personal best game is when someone is on a platform above me which can't happen on FD. It's also very, very easy to predict where and how Metaknight will move on that stage so I prefer to just get rid of it unless I know someone likes a different stage.

Dojo

Smash Champion
yaaaa, snake C4 kills MK at ridiculously low %'s

t's not at ridiculously low %'s. Learn to DI silly. XD

On topic, you typically want to ban stages your opponent's main does well on. Or, if you know your opponent's personal preference, (like I know Infi loves playing on delphino) I'd ban that against him.

Your choice can also be determined by stages that you, as a player just don't personally like. For instance, I used to despise Yoshi's Island, so I'd always strike and ban that on the spot. I've overcome this hatred for this stage though. It's actually not that bad now. :)

MK really has no "bad stages." He does well with all of them. It's based alot of on what stages your opponent's characters do good on.

Some stages I usually ban against chars that I play frequently in tourney:

MK - Rainbow Cruise (I just don't practice enough with that stage)
Snake - Lylat
Diddy, IC's, Falco, G&W - FD

I tend to ban FD on alot of characters. I feel MK always has the advantage offstage. And with a longer stage it's harder to get a smart player off that stage for the early kills.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Dojo that stuff kills at like 80 or 90 I think, that is pretty low. It might be even stronger than that, especially if you sticky them or do gay set ups esp. in teams
QFT

t's not at ridiculously low %'s. Learn to DI silly. XD

On topic, you typically want to ban stages your opponent's main does well on. Or, if you know your opponent's personal preference, (like I know Infi loves playing on delphino) I'd ban that against him.

Your choice can also be determined by stages that you, as a player just don't personally like. For instance, I used to despise Yoshi's Island, so I'd always strike and ban that on the spot. I've overcome this hatred for this stage though. It's actually not that bad now. :)

MK really has no "bad stages." He does well with all of them. It's based alot of on what stages your opponent's characters do good on.

Some stages I usually ban against chars that I play frequently in tourney:

MK - Rainbow Cruise (I just don't practice enough with that stage)
Snake - Lylat
Diddy, IC's, Falco, G&W - FD

I tend to ban FD on alot of characters. I feel MK always has the advantage offstage. And with a longer stage it's harder to get a smart player off that stage for the early kills.
Why Lylat against Snake?

I don't mind Yoshi's Island. I'm actually very good at being a complete jerk with Shuttle Loop on that stage and there are a million things to tech on there so dying isn't really a problem. I'm not actively worried about being chain grabbed off the side of the stage, so I'm pretty indifferent to Yoshi's.
Who can CG MK off the side of Yoshi's? I haven't been CG'd on the slope before. Also, what do you use to kill there?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Why Lylat against Snake?

Platform setups work really well on this stage for him. High ceiling make it harder to kill him and still not so hard to kill you. It's actually rather hard to keep track of all his explosives.

Who can CG MK off the side of Yoshi's? I haven't been CG'd on the slope before. Also, what do you use to kill there?

Falco can take you and dair you offstage.

Answers in bold.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Answers in bold.
Dojo, do you know if Falco can kill Meta Knight with a Spike on Yoshis Island indefinitely? I know if Falco attempts it on Final Destination, Meta Knight can still live regardless of how much percent is given to him from the grab, but I think the bottom blast zone is higher on Final Destination by a considerable amount from the stage than on Yoshis Island.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Is it me or do you always go in favor of MK being worse than he actually is?
What M2K is saying is correct...:ohwell:
Dojo, do you know if Falco can kill Meta Knight with a Spike on Yoshis Island indefinitely? I know if Falco attempts it on Final Destination, Meta Knight can still live regardless of how much percent is given to him from the grab, but I think the bottom blast zone is lower on Final Destination by a considerable amount from the stage than on Yoshis Island.
Fix'd, right?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Keep Pirate Ship, Brinstar, and Halberd. Just ban FD if that looks like the only bad stage available.

Pirate Ship is fine for MK, if your opponent gets caught in the water, you can Dair them and it will basically put them back into the water but further away. You can also spike people with Dair into the ship while it is moving, and on the other parts MK does fine.

Halberd lets you poke from beneath pretty easily for a good portion of the match, and the walls on the sides are great for getting Dair gimps/stage spikes.

Brinstar is good for him as well, close sides and you can move through the bottom of the stage as well. When you are forced to the top platform, MK just rules in close spaces like that. Plus, it can mess up a lot of CG's characters have on MK.

If you have Green Greens on the map, I would prolly ban that vs G&W, maybe also ban it vs Snake but not too sure on that. For Corneria, I would only ban that against G&W probably, otherwise MK is just too good on that stage. For Pipes, I dunno who you would wanna ban that against, maybe TL or someone kinda "gimmicky" on that stage. I could see Snake being not too bad on this stage, as long as he can stay on the ground and tech like crazy near that hill.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
wow infinity way to have the same counterpicks as me :)

except for norfair that **** is banned at like every tournament I go to rofl

Since all the bs stages get banned around here, I usually like to ban yoshi's island/story/whatever the brawl one is called, unless my opponent's character calls for one of the obvious other bans.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
wow infinity way to have the same counterpicks as me :)

except for norfair that **** is banned at like every tournament I go to rofl

Since all the bs stages get banned around here, I usually like to ban yoshi's island/story/whatever the brawl one is called, unless my opponent's character calls for one of the obvious other bans.
I dont like norfair... it really is NO FAIR

Master Raven

Smash Master
I actually like to fight MK on Halberd. While MK may not have any "bad" stages per se, I actually find Halberd to be a really good place to fight MK on mostly because the low ceiling makes it easier for me to kill him with the characters I usually use against MK (Snake and DK). Hazards on the stage can potentially **** either of you over too, but better if the MK gets hit by one.

Staco

Smash Champion
Cant mk go under the stage?
Just edge hanging + under stage uairs all the time until the stage lands.

Master Raven

Smash Master
If I'm Snake I can just drop grenades and C4 so I can make sure MK isn't spamming Uairs from below.

Well, I actually haven't tried that yet, but I will the next time I fight an MK there.

Top Bottom