• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken (Survivor) Interview Up! Live Chat Friday!

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
So here is the deal. Ken, the man, the myth, the legend will also be on the ESPN Chat this Friday (December the 19th) at 4 PM EST. Tune into the chat to submit more questions (there at the chat) and hear his answers live.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24213

Ken Post Survivor Interview

Normal text = Interviewer Speech
Red/Bolded text = Ken Hoang

So when you found out you were a contestant on the show, where were you when you found out and what was the first thing you did?

I found out when I was actually at my house. They called me and told me and I couldn’t believe it, I was on the show. I was like ‘There’s no way, there’s no way’. Then next thing I know I’m in Africa playing the game.

Alright, which player do you think had the best game, played the best and why?

I thought Ace played differently, a really good game, and you know, his allies betrayed him, and he got far. I thought Randy played a pretty good game and Sugar played a pretty good game but I don’t even know if she was playing a game, because she wasn’t playing from the start. Bob started playing the game later, but I don’t think he was playing a good game throughout the entire game, he played a good game later, and I thought Crystal and I played a good game, but I wouldn’t say we played the best game.

What was the most surprising thing you learned from being on a reality show?

I learned from being on a reality TV show that they can edit the way they want you to be portrayed, they can do whatever they want. They can give you the best edit or the worst edit in the world and people have gotten really good edits and it wasn’t really like that from what I saw on the island.

Okay. A lot of people on the Smashboards community want to know what you would recommend for someone who wants to be a contestant on the show, how to they get to be a contestant, or what would make them stand out?

Just be yourself, and in the video, and if they like you, they’ll call you back.

Was this your first time applying?

Yeah, this was my first time applying.

Could you go into detail about what your audition tape entailed? Was there anything about gaming in there?

I just told them about my life, and what I do, and you know, what I do at school, what I do at home. I was definitely just being myself and telling them why I believed I could be the sole survivor and that I think I can play this game.

Okay. What was the most memorable moment of the show for you?

Definitely going to be the family visit and the family theme and y’know you got to see your family and ask them about what happened at home and y’know you met them all there. It was definitely the family visit.

Describe one day at Gabon, right from when you woke up, what were the things you did on a typical day.

Well I was basically the provider at every camp I was in like Fang, Kota and Nobag. Basically around base camp I would set traps. Sometimes I would go get fruit then I’d boil water. Daily chores, and then if there was a challenge that day, we would do that. It really depends on what you do at camp, and of course strategizing and talking to your allies about what to do next. You get used to it after nine days out there, you don’t even realize there are cameras out there.

Being a gamer, did you ever get the itch to game? To say “Man I wish I just had a Gamecube or a Wii with me right here to relax”.

When I was out there, I didn’t even have like, an itch, to play video games. All I was thinking about was surviving the game y’know. I was hoping for some challenges that had to do with something about video games or something like that, but no…

(Laughs)
If there was an All-Star version of survivor (sometimes they do that), would you do it again?

If they asked me again, I would do it again. I learned from my mistakes and if I played the game again, I’d probably do a lot better. I’d definitely do it again.

I just have a few more gaming related questions, obviously, because it’s for MLG and Smashboards. Smash obviously is a fast game, y’know, you have to act fast, react fast, you have to think fast, you have to strategize pretty quickly. Given that Survivor’s just a much longer, an extended time. Did you think that you maybe over-thought things too much, or maybe spent too much time thinking as opposed to what you’re normally accustomed to when you play other people?

Yes, that was definitely my downfall. I over-thought the situations so much so that I kind of just sat back at the end and thought what if I took control, someone else took control, etc. I over-thought both situations and that was definitely the downfall of me.

Another forum member wants to know, are you going to throw a tournament or a celebration for your success on the show. If not, do you plan on playing smash competitively, what do you plan on doing afterwards?

I am never ever going to throw a tournament ever again after my last tournament. I’m done with tournament hosting for sure, and right now I’m just worried about school and y’know living life and getting out more, doing other things and maybe after I’m graduated and want to play smash again, then I’ll probably come back, but it doesn’t look like I want to do that right now. I just want to take a huge break from competitive gaming.

Do you still play any bit recreationally? Not just smash, just gaming in general?

I play party games from time to time, but just for fun. Other than that, I haven’t been playing a lot of games lately. I’ve just been doing other things.

Here’s another question. If you could describe the other final four finalists for the show, Matty, Sugar, Bob and Suzie as smash characters, and yourself, who would you be able to compare them to?

Uhhhhhhhh

If you had to? (lol >.>)

I don’t even know, that’s a tough one.

What about for yourself then?

(Ken stutters and stammers)
I’d like to see myself as Marth, maybe Marth. I don’t think that survivor could relate to smash characters, I don’t think there’s no way in hell.

(Laughs)
Do you still keep in touch with anyone from the show?

Yeah of course. Crystal and I are like really good friends after the show. I call her home maybe every week and we talk about things. I’m really good friends with Matty, I’m really good friends with Dan, Randy, who else? Michelle, Kelly. I get along with the majority of the cast, but you know, its just like some of them are not really good friends but you know these people I mentioned stand out.

Do you think you influenced the gaming community at all being on Survivor?

Yeah definitely, the thing is like no one really knew, when I first got on the show it was like ‘Oh, he’s definitely going to be the first or second voted off’ a week, we’ll give him that. When they saw me doing so well, (and saw me making it through every week), they were actually jumping on the bandwagon then, rooting for me to win. At first I got a lot of comments on my (Facebook and Myspace). A lot of people underestimated me, everybody else on the show underestimated me, but I proved to a lot of people that I’m actually a good player and that I was behind the majority of people going home. So I guess as a game you base perspective on what you can do when you’re a personal threat in the game.

Did any of the other survivor contestants remind you of any of your other, former competitors in smash, any other pros? Did you see any similarities with them?

Ummmm…

Did anyone remind you of Isai, Chu dat, PC Chris, KillaOR?

I don’t really know. It’s kinda hard to relate the survivor contestants to smash pros. I guess Crystal was my Isai out there. She stuck with me, and she was very loyal. We were a team, we had each other’s back.

Okay, just one last question. Is there anything you want to say to the gaming community, MLG community, Smashboards community?

I’d like to say thank you for your support for me the whole way.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
"Now that Survivor is all set and done, what will be next on the card? Will you continue traveling and playing Smash or is there a new career on the horizon for you?"

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
If Michelle wasn't voted off so early, do you think some sort of relationship may have developed?

:chuckle:

M.K

Level 55
How did a "day at Nobag" carry out?
Things like:
-When you woke up
-When you went to challenges
-When you decided to eat
etc.

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
When the camera went blurry, did you see michelle's cleavage?

what do you think of our list:

DK - Matty
ROB - Bob
CF - Crystal
King Randedede
ect.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Ken, why did they always call you a video-gamer and never mention "Smash Brothers" specifically. Was there a reason, or did they just want to keep it general?

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Mitch if MLG doesn't ask your question, it will be a real loss to the smash community. I want to know what it was like out there? How did you deal with only have a little bit of rice for so long? Was it hard to come up with strategies? Who was your ideal companions for final 3? How was your relationship with Matty? Why did Sugar flip? Are you going to grow out the facial hair again? What are you plans after survivor, have they changed at all because of the experience on the show? Who was the hottest female in your opinion?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why did you immediately strike up an alliance with Crystal? As in, why her of all people? What drew you to her specifically?

Anth0ny

Smash Master
The question on everyone's mind:

Are you gonna throw a tournament in celebration of your success? If not, do you still intend on playing smash competitively? Melee or Brawl? Or both?

Also, if you made it to the final three with, lets say, Matty and Bob (probably the two most liked players, alongside you), do you think the jury would have voted for you for the million dollars?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Where you upset with Bob and his immunity promise because he didn't hold his word like he said he would? Or was it because you wanted the Idol?

No offense but:
In many people's minds, what you said at the TC where you got voted off ended up sounding very illogical, silly and stupid (such as bob sacrificing his life for you). Did you mean everything that you said or did you like... mess up?

Why did you vote for Suzie? (and/or why didn't you vote for Sugar or Bob?)
What did you judge the finalists by? (honesty/keeping promises in the game, strategy, ability to answer your questions at final TC...)

Is Corrine still unemployed?

Did you call Charlie a *** and/or homosexual? If so, what did you mean by it/what where your intents? (did you mean to make fun of him? or where you just remarking that he is probably homosexual?)

Do you have any personal contact with Sugar and/or Bob as of now?

Have you ever met a bigger scrub then Marcus?

What exactly was your plan in voting Matty the night that Corrine went? Since Matty would've gone from Bob's and Corrine's votes anyway, I feel that there is something I am missing.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
"Out of everything that happened in Survivor, what was your most favorable experience while you were there?"

"Fang was definitely getting owned during the first half of the game, how did that make you feel?"

"Who was your favorite companion while you were on Survivor?"

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
How did you feel about your name being changed to "Kenny" on the show?

What advice do you have for people that are considering trying to get on the show and play the game in the future?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
What about your audition tape and interviews do you think made you stand out? (and/or) Why do you think you were chosen to play?

I really want to be on the show now, so this would be nice. :)

What would you recommend to someone interested in the show, from audition tips to preparation for the game, and general tips for playing the actual game of Survivor?

If you were to play the same game with the same people again, what would you do differently to make sure you made it to the final 3?

I'm guessing he'd have handled the corinne fake idol situation a lot differently, but maybe he thinks something different.

This is GREAT, thanks MLG_JV, i've been dying to ask ken some of these questions!

thechunkylover

Smash Apprentice
Have you kept in touch with anyone since the show ended? Have you tryed to stay away from certain people?

Would you go back to the show if there was another Survivor: All Stars season?

Revven

FrankerZ
Did anyone on the show ask you what games you play?
Did you ever talk about mind games amongst your alliance? If so, were they confused?
Why did you trust Sugar near the end when you knew she has been swinging around a lot? Why didn't you just keep the plan between you, Crystal, Suzie, and Matty? Would it have mattered if you didn't tell Sugar?
Did you, yourself, ever feel mind gamed by any other player? If so, who?

Finally, what were you thinking at Tribal Council? Was it really necessary to bring up the topic about Bob's promise? If you hadn't brought it up, it was a very large possibility that Matty and Suzie wouldn't have voted for you and actually voted Bob off or Sugar off. How does that make you feel?

Edit: Who did you hate the most early on in the game and wanted to take out immediately? What about later on?

Did they edit anything out that you said? If so, what?

How did you feel about tripping in the first episode?

Banks

Smash Hero
Did anyone on the island ask you about your gaming experiences, and did you attempt to explain to anyone how super smash bros. is played at a high level or any of your gaming experiences.

I was hoping for some mention of ssbm to get on the air, but o well. so i'm j/w if you talked about it even though we didn't see it.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Since everybody else took my questions, I'll just ask this.

Do you think you might go back to the beard look?

What do you think was your downfall?

What events would you like to change when you were in Gabon?

I had to erase my previous question becuase of the Ponderosa clips on the CBS website.

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever been called Kenny before this?
lolz

How was personal grooming? (toilet, bath (ew leeches), etc)

Will you grow another goatee?

How did Ace get on the reunion show if he was arrested?

How would you have played the idol if Charlie didn't foil your plan?

Did you really feel safe at the Tribal Council you got voted out at?

Wow my questions suck. I have all of these questions but I think this is enough.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
- What surprised you the most after seeing the show on TV that you were unaware of while you were out there?

- Who do you think was edited the most differently than they really were, and why?

- What was your initial reaction when you saw how Fang was and how Kota was after tribes were initially chosen? Did you think your tribe had a chance? That it wouldn't?

- If you DO decide to go to Survivor Sucks and answer questions, will you keep in mind that 90% of the posters there are spammers, flamers, and trolls? :laugh: (well, maybe that's not a real question, but it IS true)

- If you could've picked anybody there other than yourself to have won the game, who would you have chosen?

- Lastly, are there any important strategy or game related things that went on out there that weren't shown that you'd like to bring to light?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I have some good questions! ^^

- Do you apply anything in life now from the Survivor Experience you had?

- Who are the cast members you continue to keep contact with?

- Which one of the cast members didn't benefit as much from the show?

- If you could change one thing that you regret, and do it over, what would it be?

- Are you getting more people and girls recognize you in public?

- Do you have a girlfriend yet?

- Will you attend Matty's wedding?

- Can you explain the process of the preparation for getting ready to be on Survivor?

I think people want these questions answered the most. Make these question a high priority please. Thanks. :)

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I want you to be honest Ken here, when did you realize that you were getting too cocky, and if you weren't do you think you would have made it to the end?

urdailywater

Smash Hero
"How did the interviews go? Like when you were sat aside to talk about certain events that happened on the show. Were you to be interviewed at the end of every day or whenever someone called on you?"

Also:
"Who do you think was worst to trust? Bob, or Sugar? If Bob, do you forgive him for what he's done? Or for the way he 'played' you?"

Where were u sent after being voted out and what happened?
I can answer this question actually.. http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/video/ponderosa.php

There are 2 parts to it.. just click "videos" and scroll down to "Life at Ponderosa" videos. Also check out other videos, they're interesting.

Edit: Sorry.. one more question:

"What was Gabon like? Did the air taste fresher? Did it feel any different from the city life or wherever you currently reside?"

..Also.. people I see some of these answers can be answered very quickly with CBS.com since they did several interviews there

Why did you immediately strike up an alliance with Crystal? As in, why her of all people? What drew you to her specifically?
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/surviv...TA4V_hgk2dxwhR5s1Z7SP69JMCdlq&play=true&cc=98

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
If given the opportunity, would you go on a Survivors All-Star?
If so, is there anything you would do differently?

In hindsight, given what you know now about this past season, what would you have done differently? How different would other participants have acted?

How do you think Brawl's Tier list will change in version 2.0?

Kirio

Smash Apprentice
If there was a way, what could each member of the final 3 have said to gain your vote? You seemed pretty distraught at who to vote for, so I assumed you considered all of them.

How did you feel about Marcus, both in the game and then out? Matty?

Obligatory: What's up with the whole deal about Charlie and you calling him a homo or whatever?

You know now that we've seen you with a goatee, you have to grow it out again, right?

I'd love to have any of these questions answered, haha. Thanks :]

Top Bottom