• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Metagame & The Boards In Review - Rest of 2009 In Progress!

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
[NOTICE]The year of 2008 has been moved to Here

Well I had a spark of insanity to go read EVERY post since the beginning Jan., however I only looked for the most important. I was intrigued to see how the boards changed, posters and mains changed, and Marth's metagame in particular. Enjoy! ~

January - A bunch of random threads to start the year of. Many Marth's are honored in the Marth '08 Superlatives thread. The spam decreases quite a bit (GASP!); This in part is due to The Marth General and Off-Topic Chat Thread, and Virgilijus' (now Virgilante) sexy moderation. TKD helps some newcomers with The Do's and the Do Not's of Counter thread, pointing out the rights and wrongs of a great move in Marth's arsenal. New tier list released! Marth moves up slightly and I stupidly complained about it in our discussion thread (lmao forgive me I was dumb as hell that day). CHEESE-KUN!!! A bunch of new players wanting us to rate their Marth's avoiding our Video Thread. Speaking of, the video Thread becomes more openly public, allowing for a lot more critiques. The meat of Marth's current metagame is described in Junk's How to get way better with Marth thread. This introduces a few tricks(DB1 to Grab), suggestions to learn (shield Conservation, DI, Powershielding) and others. The ever so sexy Marth AT, discovered by 3xSwords, the DS Ledge Grab is put out into the public. This greatly improves ledge hogging speed and ability. Pierce starts a promising thread (Offense vs Defense), but isn't completed as of yet. The Marth boards gets its own Xat Chat, which will have to catch on after a few more months. A lot of random Emblem Lord threads bumped, umm ok 0.o

February - The month begins with a lot of board cleaning, due to the wonderful modding of Virgilijus (he is no longer Virgilante lol) Probably the greatest Marth event ever, the Marth Gathering at CoT4!!! Great Marth's from all around met up for friendlies (and I was at home, missing out -_-) Niko K mysteriously has tech that can stop Marth's SB, but has not yet presented it (will he ever?) **Havok** creates a great read, in his Hot/Cold Theory thread, check it out! Ulevo not only fades away from Marth, he goes completely weird, and deletes all his informative posts, including our beginners guide, which was absolutely awesome. Emblem Lord"s gone missing... again! Reason will be apparent later. The SBR decides it's time to update Marth's match ups, as some seem to be outdated (this is included but not limited to: Diddy Kong, Wolf, and Olimar). Class w/ Junk is in session, here to enlighten Marth's depending on his tourney performances and mood. It is a great contribution to the boards, and aspiring Marth's alike. Emblem Lord's departure from Brawl to SF4. The great sage moves on to another game, to **** them all. ChaosKnight presents... his own compilation video! It is filled with good **** and risky moves.

March - Brawl Marth's One Year Birthday! Bunch of random bumped threads (aka Steel2nd's). Marth is predicted to be 4th on the upcoming June Tier List, in a thread made by Darxmarth23. A few match-up changes, notably not in Marth's favor (MK 65-35, Wolf 50-50). Uprising in Wario, Diddy, and Pikachu main, due to Pika's chaingrabs. This makes Marth a very viable counterpick against them. Also regarding MK, our own Aussie Marth, Shaya, did some heavy frame crunching about Marth's lovely hair.... I mean is Air Grab release -> Spike on Meta Knight. And how can we forget the **** of UltimateRazer by our own Roy_R, just showing us Marth's mean business and we're stepping it up. Slow month on Marth's part development wise, but fast in the metagame around him.

April - Pretty dry month on the boards, but not in the metagame. mikeHAZE informs us of his upcoming Marth guide. A bunch of tournament inquiries (Apex, Road to Viridian City Monthlies) get a thread. Some new match-up discussion bumps. Now here's the metagame jumps. Shaya informs on the Spacies combo and Steel2nd discusses Marth's zones in some more depth. Shiedlbreaker fetish to the EXTREME, along with Nair. Some more focus on pivot grabbing. Almostlegendary attempts to make a guide, we appreciate his efforts to help out the community. And we see... the Critical Touch combo vid! It was created by L!te. And a blessing from heaven, we get our own General Discussion topic!

May (May be as big as 08's May) - Ok, pretty short month. We start off with a few useless threads, then a minor discussion on the extension of Marth's hurtbox during his counter. Few more bumped threads... and more bumped threads -_- Then, out of nowhere, a pinnacle of play is shown! To spark up discussion, Steel posts the match of Omni vs NEO, in which it shows two top players, an example of optimal play for Marth. Omni even drops by to lay down some tips of his own lol Next, Charoo shares some vids of MikeHAZE vs other SoCalians *cough cough dubbed too friendlies* Then, our own BengalsRZ puts out some information on recovering in his simple guide. After a combo video by Mr-R, which was pretty good, we have the meat of May, the communities (headed by takeurlife2) contribution of Marth's true combos! Oh, and more Gen Discussion spam =P How could I forget... Marth did some homework in the SBR, and gained not one, but TWO ATs this month! They are Retreating Pivot Grabs and Shieldbreaker Bouncing (not wavebouncing).

June - Slow start, with some match-up threads bumped. The June 09 Tier list is released, and a swarm of discussion ensues @ Marth being ranked 7th overall/A tier. A few bumps and locked threads here and there. Genesis takes place, where Bardull and mikeHAZE place in the top 20. Talk begins abotu the Global Character Guide project, starting conversation of finally making the Marth beginner guide. Oh, did I mention our own veteran Steel2nd's a moderator now? 0.o Finally, Marth's official match-up rediscussion is created, starting with Wario.

July(DRYYYYY...JK JKZ) - We begin the month with bumps, yippie. Match-up rediscussion #2 - #4 ( Ice Climbers, ZSS, and Sonic) begin. Snype sparks some interest when he creates the Marth Team Guide, version 1.0. Steel (now §teel) locks a whole bunch of threads, especially VietGeek infamous thread. NEO decides to lower his awesomeness for a bit to share about his personal Hyperbolic Time chamber, sparking a large movement for individual improvement between Marth's. A bunch of training mode tutorials are created, one by BengalsRZ and §teel respectively. Speaking of §teel, he started his own Q&A aka I'm cool enough, hate on it ***** thread, however just resorted to AIM chat. Hdrevolution123 shared with us some nice refresher notes in his thread.

August -

September(Best month, yeah I'm STILL biased) -

October -

November -

December -

Overview:

Thanks for reading! Comments? Flame? Suggestions? Please discuss below!

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
You should add a progression of Junk's trash talking to your timeline. I'm sure he would appreciate that. Oh also mention where the noobs started to transition over to marth along with the time when Pit's arrow spam started to fail.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Well I had a spark of insanity to go read EVERY post since Jan., however I only looked for the most important. I was intrigued to see how the boards changed, posters and mains changed, and Marth's metagame in particular. You'll see this in my post. Now its very clumped, ill make it sexy eventually. Enjoy! ~

March - The release of Brawl, the start of a legend. Marth is believed to be utterly broken, and top of top tier. IASA frames on DTilt is discovered, all pros basically use Marth.

April - A decline, Marth is "troubled" against spammers, Pit and others "pose a serious threat." Infinite Release grab is hot and fresh. Ankoku giving the first spark in Platform Cancelling.

May (Big Month!) - Marth gets a little more technical due to Ulevo and EL's efforts. His pros and cons begin to establish, quite well actually. Camping with SH Fairs and pressuring with DTilt in use. Match-up vs Zelda is 50/50 while match-up vs MK is around 60/40 Marth (l.m.a.o.) The wall between Foxtrotting and walking/dashing is set. The start of the "Rate My Marth" thread era. Footstool spiking is all the rage. Drago's popularity peaks, and concludes. ROY_R COMBO!!! the leetest opening for May, just ownage. And our lovely tech, Dolphin Splash OoS!!!

June - Random threads discussing aspects of play. Standstill. They ever impossible/nigh useful ISJR discovered, and presented due to 3xswords, credit for his efforts. Steel becoming more... I dunno, active? 0.o Renefus thread on why Marth is top tier (check it out). First real tidbit of Frame Data(thanks Ankoku). EL's EMO MOMENT, we did so bad he had to ***** at us an wag his finger. He shared pity knowledge with us. The Defensive marth style is the pinnacle of play at the moment.

July - More rate me threads. Start of Ulevo's weekly match-up thread, which provides excellent Meta Knight information.

August - More rise into Rate me threads. It gets worst here on out. Introducing Ken's marth at EVO, and the uprise in his fanboys. (items baby yeah!) NEO becoming all the more popular. FThrow to Fsmash. Marth's weaknesses, Shield Pressure, and Setups/Traps explored in depth by EL. Ken combo finally debated and put to rest after influx of corresponding posts. Hylian's sexy Advanced Marth Movements thread and video. The Marth Back Room is sexy, and created. The heated Tap Jump issue is discussed, with the best option being ON. Our own Junk making Platform Cancelling hot AGAIN.

September(Best month, yea im biased) - Shieldbreak is discussed in-depth by EL. Tier List release, large discussion followed. We reached the highest amount of threads posted, a title we still hold.

October - Match-Up discussion (Steel2nd's) completed, basically before everyone elses, producing solid strategy vs most characters. Metagame jump baby! DraGz thread on Marth's performance in the aspects of Brawl, probably helped a few people with spacing and zoning correctly. Pierce showing us the importance of the Jab, a great tool in Marth's arsenal. Marth's traps and brickwalls revisited, influencing more correct gameplay. Emblem Lord GOES MISSING!?!?!?!

November - Aggressive vs Defensive discussed and explained how each are essential to Marth's game. Ulevo reveals Marth and Meta Knights priority respectively, helping to improve the match-up. The ever-so popular Marth Move Tier List is developed, highly controversial but helpful. Bengalz present his own version of Advanced Movement, which has proved really helpful to not just the Marth community, but Smashboards as a whole(we got first dibs however.) Doop Walking introduced, not really useful. Our own personal mod, Virgilijus, starts to maintain our board, keeping it *moderatly* clean(can be personally quoted saying he doesn't NOT want this to become the Sonic boards *shiver included*).

December - Nothing too new, mostly spam and replies to already demanding topics. Many dorment Marth palyers are beginning to post, and people are gearing up for another 365 of Smash. Notable mention is the Do's and Dont's of Conter by TKD. Another is the Official Counterpicking Thread, while easy to find, it is a great centralization and helpful means of discussion.

Overview: Marth has developed well in these nine months together. Even if he went from the best to fairly high, he's still awesome. Beating most of the cast, and not being ***** by any, makes Marth a strong contender. Techs and moves such as DS OoS, FThrow -> Stutter Step Tipper Fsmash, and our very own Fair keep our game on top. We've learn to not only apply pressure, but to zone correctly, and severly limiting options.

Now on to the boards. We've grown quite a lot haven't we? Even though we spam hella lot, we get things done. We set many a standards on Smashboards, such as the video critique thread and our own personal Backroom. We've seen many new stars (Ulevo, Steel2nd, Pierce7d, etc.) and many returing vets (NEO, Emblem Lord) on the scene. These boards are so enjoyable to post in, and yet very imformitable on every aspect of Marth to date.

It is safe to say Marth's metagame is producing at a great way, and so are these boards. Your never short on friends here, neither are you short on information. Yes we can be b*tchy, but we will lend a helping hand. 2008 was a great year of development, on to 2009!

Thanks for reading! Comments? Flame? Suggestions? Please discuss below!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Lol, this was a nice read. Thanks for posting it.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Where's the part where I become worst and worst? Seriously, needs moar drama. This is the Marth boards, the summer days is where drama was at its finest.

I'd have to say September/October was the apex of my Marth game, so I agree with September being awesome Smash-wise...but those are fond days long gone by.

Now everything I do is subpar. My move selection is fail and basically everything I get away with is by fluke and I should get 3 stocked by everyone.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I know Viet didn't just bring his emoness into my thread, yes you were awesome in Sept., however keep practicing and you'll be awesome again. Don't gib me no lip boi.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Where's the part where I become worst and worst? Seriously, needs moar drama. This is the Marth boards, the summer days is where drama was at its finest.

I'd have to say September/October was the apex of my Marth game, so I agree with September being awesome Smash-wise...but those are fond days long gone by.

Now everything I do is subpar. My move selection is fail and basically everything I get away with is by fluke and I should get 3 stocked by everyone.

Has the icon under your name always been TL? Or did you officially give up on Marf?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I was thinking about doing that, ill add it in.
I'm disappointed that I wasn't mentioned at all in the first post. I smell conspiracy.

On other news, this is kind of funny. I remember the old days when everyone thought Marth was god tier.

How the mighty have fallen.

XD

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
@BarduLl - I was duped man!!! The post was in another month, and i didný flourish the idea out until too late. My sincere apologies, we all know Emblem lord's essential to this Board, especially his quip for us to get our acts straight.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Who's everyone that thought he was God tier?

Anyway, all my personal threads were made of good and win.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Yes no spam in my thread please, hey Virgil any suggestions yourself?

Maybe I should put when you started moderating us, keep our boards squeeky clean.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Awesome, putting that on my additions list. Anybody else? its a long 40+ pages, spare me the trouble lmao.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
There's proof I've put sand in almost everyones vag except a select smart few... Unfortunately that list doesn't include you.

See you at cot4.
LMFAO i just realized your sig

tbh, CK's marth isn't even that good. his character positioning is horrible and he doesn't know anything about sword placement or match up specifics

he's like the only marth I **** easily with Sheik, no content

CK stop being so cocky >_>

clowsui

Smash Legend
lol neo
you still play sheik?
let's have some vids of that thing, sheik needs some hope

on-topic: maybe we should include in this list links of important marth topics started during each month? that way marth members who want to look at history themselves can easily find it without searching /shrug

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
LMFAO i just realized your sig

tbh, CK's marth isn't even that good. his character positioning is horrible and he doesn't know anything about sword placement or match up specifics

he's like the only marth I **** easily with Sheik, no content

CK stop being so cocky >_>
bwahhahahahah

-dies-

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
ROFL, we forgot the most winning thread of all! The "let me end the question of marths manliness" thread. Give proverbs his props for that one. You may wanna note the places where marths testostorone level became more apparent. (especially where it almost surpassed that of The Chuck himself)

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
The fact that ppl though marth was invincible in march made me lmao. No one would go against me at all.

you should put when we started trends too. Lik the MBR sigs and posting in coulours.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Also the emblem lord era which transitioned into > steel2nd era

steel2nd era >>> emblem lord era tbh

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
***** I made yo b*tch a$$.

You was just some random upstart that posted in one of my threads before I molded you.

I will unmake you if you persist in this insolence.

*slaps you and gives you rough sex

It's tough love kiddo.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
***** I made yo b*tch a$$.

You was just some random upstart that posted in one of my threads before I molded you.

I will unmake you if you persist in this insolence.

*slaps you and gives you rough sex

It's tough love kiddo.
truth hurts, i know.

you're washed up old man

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
*poke poke

Virgil...what the heck homie. We are just messing around.

Top Bottom