• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on how to avoid King Dededes infinite

Luigi player

Smash Master
Tips on how to avoid King Dededes infinite

1. Intro

Everyone of us DK players should know about King Dededes infinite on DK. Dedede can just grab us and dthrow us until 300 % (those are the standard rules) and then finish us with whatever he wants.
In this thread I want to write some tactics/tricks on how you could try to avoid the infinite.

This thread can and should also be used to discuss some of these and maybe new strategies on how to avoid the infinite.

2. Tips/Tricks

Dedede can only infinite DK if the ground they are on is a straight line (or angeled up a bit).
This is very good to know since if you are on e.g. a platform Dedede will not be able to infinite you if you are at the edges of the platform since you will fall down. He can do it though if the platform is long enough and if he grabs you as far away as he can be.

-> Stay on the edges of platforms and keep him from grabbing you/landing on it with your attacks

Of course you need to make some damage first so it will not end in a sudden death if he decides to do nothing also, but I'm sure every player will not be waiting 8 minutes sitting there, and some Dededes also might not know that it doesn't work and will try to approach you so you can hit them at a "safe" place. The Dedede can't land on a platform 100 % safely. So try to hit him away before he's landing (or on his 2 landing frames where he can't do anything). If you could do it perfectly it would be impossible for Dedede to grab you.

You could also just stay at the edge of the main platform, but you're still in danger if he can manage to grab you from as far away as the grab connects, so you have to keep him away. To be safer don't stay on the edge, but hang on to the ledge or just get on platforms.

If you know that you won't make much mistakes with ledge stalling and want to do it, you could also try to do it against him. If he jumps down or comes too near, just jump up (or roll up, but the jump is safer, because if you just grabbed the ledge you will have some invincibility frames in your jump) and go to the other side or on a platform or whereever else it is safe.

3. Stages

Norfair:
Norfair is overall not a bad stage for DK. The main thing this stage has going for anti-D3 is that there are just some small platforms everywhere, meaning you could always just stay at the edge so Dedede will not be able to infinite you as easy. You could also try ledge stalling here. Ledge stalling is also safer here since you have more ledges to hang on to, so you have more options if D3 will come near.
Obviously the lava will help here too. If D3 grabs you and can do the infinite the lava could come in time to save you.

Yoshis Island (Brawl):
I think this is a good stage, because Dedede will not be able to infinite you on the platform (because it is changing it's angle the whole time). But you have to stay on the platform the whole match (or ledge stall), because he can infinite you just fine on the normal ground.
The platform is really nice though. Since it covers nearly the whole stage you can come down everwhere and try to surprise Dedede with a bair or upB (to get back to the platform immediately).

Rainbow Cruise:
Obvious reasons. The stage keeps on moving so Dedede will not be able to chaingrab you unless he risks SDing himself too. There are also many many platforms for you to be somewhat safe. Although he could "infinite" you there until the blast zone is near enough and then finish you with a bthrow or fthrow, so keep him away from the platforms you are on.

Pirate Ship:
This stage has many slopes and has some other changes that will help making the infinite not work. Basically you have to avoid the middle part of the ship. The sides are slopes where the infinite doesn't work. You can also try to stay on the platforms, although you have to stay on the edges of the platforms, because the infinite can work. The ship is tilting and this helps to escape the infinite if he manages to get it to work on a platform.
If the stone comes or the tornado it will also help DK. If the ship is falling down the infinite will not work since DK will fly too far up. If the stone is coming the stages angle will not allow the infinite to work.

Smashville:
The infinite does not work on the moving platform.

Pictochat:
This stage can help you avoiding the infinite. If the stage is "normal", just ledge stall. If there appears any platform or whatever you can go there. While the infinite can work on some, it will not work long, because the stage keeps changing. Just try to stay away from the main platform, because he can infinite you there whereever the **** he wants. Of course the stage could still rescue you, but you shouldn't rely on luck that much.

Delfino Plaza:
This stage can help you avoiding the infinite, because it always moves. If the stage goes down to a new part the dthrow from Dedede will hit you up too far for Dedede to regrab you. When the stage moves there are always some platforms on it. If the platforms are at an angle the infinite will not work on them. The others are also somewhat safe since the will go away when the stage is landing (the same goes for the main platform, although it is of course much easier for Dedede to grab you there).
The stage is not that good though, because some parts of it have walk offs so if Dedede manages to grab you there you will lose a stock even quicker than with the infinite.

Jungle Japes:
Ok since this stage consists mostly of platforms I think it is also not that bad against Dedede if you can manage to avoid him landing on the platform you are on. A good thing about this stage is that you can upB anywhere (on the ground or in the air) and can move anywhere you want and it is not really punishable, just watch out for that Klap Trap though...

Lylat Cruise:
Dedede cannot infinite you anywhere on this stage because of the tilting (and everyone thought it would suck because of it... :laugh:).

Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2:
The changes of these stages can help you avoiding the infinite, but not that much imo, so they still aren't good to avoid it...

Every other stage:
Stay on the edges of the platforms and go to slopes or try to ledge stall. Keep in mind that slopes may not protect you all the time, because he can still use his normal running chaingrab on you until both of you are at an even ground.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I think Lylat Cruise would be best...

BF is still too risky, since Dedede can still infinite you on the platforms if he can grab you as far away as he can.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
nice, at first i was worried the OP would just read "don't get grabbed" but i was pleasantly surprised to take some useful stuff out of this. Some of it is obvious now that i think about it, i figured platforms were good but lylat just moved up in my books

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I never thought to use Lylat, though I don't think the tilting is reliable enough to make it really influence the match.
Staying on platforms is pretty much your only option on most stages, though.

magikguy

Smash Lord
nice, at first i was worried the OP would just read "don't get grabbed" but i was pleasantly surprised to take some useful stuff out of this. Some of it is obvious now that i think about it, i figured platforms were good but lylat just moved up in my books
yeah. i was expecting the same thing . Nice to know that lylat can actually be a good counterpick.

Luigi player

Smash Master
To be honest I dont think there's much point in trying to win in that matchup whatsoever, you need a secondary.
Yeah, of course, but if you do face a D3 once which can easily happen if you main DK (you will probably use him in your first match or want to counterpick with him) it is good to know on what stages you could be more safe and maybe still win if the enemy chooses Dedede.

The tilting of Lylat Cruise makes that the infinite will only work about 4 times so it really helps against it. I also think that you are even more safe on the right and left platforms.

If you are playing DK in the first match you should choose the starter stages Smashville, Lylat cruise (if it is one of them) or Yoshis Island imo. Battlefield might also still work if you "camp" on the platforms, but you should avoid FD... (maybe have a secondary for it? (I have Diddy for that stage ^^))

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think the only stages that would work well are Pirate ship, Norfair, Picto Chat, and Pokemon Stadium 2. All of these stages the terrain changes in such a way the the infinite's can be broken. The other stages personally, it seems that the infinite's will still work, because even if DDD gets you on a downward sloping ledge remember he can still chain grab you, so he can just move you to a different spot on the stage and begin the ****.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Yea, DDD's have so many options on the other stages aside from the stages i listed.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Jmex there's also Lylat Cruise! The stage is tilting the whole time so there is no spot where he can infinite you. He can still chaingrab you, but who cares that's much better than the infinite.

And about the changes from Pokemon Stadium 2... Well, it takes long for them to occur. You might already are at 150 + % when that happens, that's why I don't think it's really helpful. Although maybe you can "stall" on the platforms or on the edges until the stage changes (or just fight normally if you think you can avoid the infinite the whole time lol).

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
theres really know point in learning the DDD matchup unless the infinite is banned, even if the infinite is banned its still around 70:30.
i use one of my 3 secondaries- pika to beat ddd, personally.
i think part of really knowing DK, is knowing and accepting his limits.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
theres really know point in learning the DDD matchup unless the infinite is banned, even if the infinite is banned its still around 70:30.
Yea, just give up DKs. You guys lose. :(
Joking joking... I support the DKs and this thread. Never give up!​

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yea, just give up DKs. You guys lose. :(
Joking joking... I support the DKs and this thread. Never give up!​

That's what K. Rool thinks of you guys!

DK always beat him and he never gave up, it's possible to beat Dedede too!

(ah I just saw the gray stuff =P but anyway I wanted to post the K Rool facepalm)

is there any way to combat dedede as donkey kong i mean other than getting ***** by his chaingrab is there anything that dk has that matchup with dedede?

ook

Smash Lord
Well, because DDDs like to shieldgrab a lot, headbutt works really well.

And if they try to hit you with an up-b onto the stage, you can super armor punch them.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Rainbow Cruise is cool 'cuz like, can't you Dtilt infinite him on the ship? If so, that'll teach him a lesson.

rgrwilco

Smash Apprentice
on smash ville i thought ddd can infinte on that moving plat form i saw it on co18 combo vid, but i think that was aginst a mario does it have the same effect and same tips for mario players?

Luigi player

Smash Master
on smash ville i thought ddd can infinte on that moving plat form i saw it on co18 combo vid, but i think that was aginst a mario does it have the same effect and same tips for mario players?
Well I only tested it with DK and not with anyone else. The DK did nothing and I couldn't infinite him with Dedede on that plaform... only "half-infinite" when it was moving forward or stood still (not sure anymore if it works if it is going forward...), but if it moves backwards DK will be too far away. Maybe Dedede could run to get in range for the grab again, but he can't do that forever since if DK is too far on the edge of the platform the infinite just doesn't work anymore.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
D3 can never infinite DK on or near the ledge because for some reason DK is too heavy and falls. Never be on the center platform. Though Risky you should play that matchup without going near him, always move as far away as possible. Keeping him at back air range and never double back air or it's free grab. Keep your back air forward B and use it once in a while or they begin to expect it and will just wait for it and punish when you land.

rgrwilco

Smash Apprentice
Well I only tested it with DK and not with anyone else. The DK did nothing and I couldn't infinite him with Dedede on that plaform... only "half-infinite" when it was moving forward or stood still (not sure anymore if it works if it is going forward...), but if it moves backwards DK will be too far away. Maybe Dedede could run to get in range for the grab again, but he can't do that forever since if DK is too far on the edge of the platform the infinite just doesn't work anymore.
that helps me out so much, thanks for testing.!!

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
can't DK chaingraib Dedede with his dthrow
Well, uh, that's only at low percentages that you can even link it with other moves (Ftilt, Down-B, Dtilt, and Double Jab), and you'll be lucky if you can string together two Down Throws if your opponent knows how to DI.

Luigi player

Smash Master
D3 can never infinite DK on or near the ledge because for some reason DK is too heavy and falls. Never be on the center platform. Though Risky you should play that matchup without going near him, always move as far away as possible. Keeping him at back air range and never double back air or it's free grab. Keep your back air forward B and use it once in a while or they begin to expect it and will just wait for it and punish when you land.
Well even if you're on the edge you're not really safe sadly. If D3 grabs you as far away as the grab connects you will be too far away from the edge to fall down... That's the same with platforms. Just try to run away if he jumps on them and uair or bair him or maybe just do an attack while D3 is landing so he can't get on the platform.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I don't really think DK mains should give up yet.

Yes it's gay.
Yes it's annoying, but if you keep CP you limit DK's tourney results, and you need to switch.

Nice tips Luigi player.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
If you're opponent is going to use D3, dont waste your time picking DK unless you can take it to a good CP stage. Otherwise, have a seconday ready for this match, I trained Kirby SPECIFICALLY for this match.

But seriously, why the **** is this not banned, it's utter garbage and one of the most broken things seen in Brawl to day.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Look guys I'm telling you, DK is one of the only characters that can be infinited but not on the edge, which means he can't be chain grabbeds as well. This matchup is not as bad as a lot of Dk's are making it out to be, it's actually not that bad into D3's favor.

Trust me on this, infinite banned it can really go either way, depends on who's smarter, and better at the game.

Tujex

Smash Ace
LMAO! I was wondering the same thing.

The infinite is gay...get it banned if you can before the match and things become doable. I found this match fairly easy without the Infinite. The CG is still gay, but is a lot more tolerable than getting Infinite'd to death by the dang thing. It's all a matter of learning DDD once the Infinite is banned...and he's NOT really that difficult without it.....but that's just me.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Look guys I'm telling you, DK is one of the only characters that can be infinited but not on the edge, which means he can't be chain grabbeds as well. This matchup is not as bad as a lot of Dk's are making it out to be, it's actually not that bad into D3's favor.

Trust me on this, infinite banned it can really go either way, depends on who's smarter, and better at the game.
He can be infinited even if DK is as far on the edge as possible, if Dedede is as far away as the grab connects. It makes it a bit more difficult for Dedede, but not really impossible or something...

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
cbk, the ddds you're playing aren't gay enough. he can just camp at the corner of the stage, throw stuff till you approach and shieldgrab all of your attacks except downb. once he gets a grab, cg across the stage and bair through your recovery till you recover high, where this whole cycle starts again. I agree that dededes who don't know anything other than the infinite are easy, but a ddd who has actually played the matchup outside the infinite enough to know better will **** a dk (assuming the ddd isn't terrible)

D0N

Smash Ace
Bigfoot why are you responding to Feb. 2009 lol. Not that you made a terrible post or anything...

Top Bottom