• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Grab Release Thread (lol chaingrabs)

MrEh

Smash Hero
This is an almost an exact copy of the thread I made on the Jigglypuff boards. I just replaced "Jigglypuff" with "Sonic" a lot, so excuse the copy and pasting. I was lazy.

What the crap is this thread for anyway?

Grab Releases with Sonic is ********, but I wanted to help you guys out. When I first came to the Sonic boards, I was pretty freaked out. There's Haunter everywhere and apparently everyone here likes Steak. Or Something. Either way, I like Haunter, and I like Steak, so I like the Sonic Boards.

Obviously, Sonic is no Bowser, but I wanted to test if grab releases even worked with him. It turns out...yeah, there are some grab releases that work. He can do some pretty funny stuff.

What's a grab release?

Grab releases are when you grab your opponent, and you don't throw them. After a certain amount of time, your opponent will break out of the grab on their own. To start off, let me say that there are two kinds of Grab Releases; ground releases and jump releases.

Ground Releases are when your opponent breaks out of your grab right in front of you. That usually happens if your opponent breaks out while you're pummeling them. After releasing your opponent with a ground release, Jigglypuff will suffer 30 frames of immobility, or half a second. Your opponent will also suffer from 30 frames of immobility. Because of this, Sonic can't do anything to anyone out of a ground release. The only exceptions are Lucas and Ness. DK is also special as well. More on this later...

Jump Releases are when your opponent jumps out of your grab, probably because they were mashing buttons in order to escape. After releasing your opponent with a jump release, Sonic will suffer 30 frames of immobility, or half a second. Your opponent will suffer 50 frames of immobility, meaning that Sonic has 20 frames to do whatever he wants.

Why are Bowser's Grab Releases so awesome?

A lot of you are now aware that Bowser totally ***** with his grabs. When Bowser grabs his opponents, he can do all sorts of crazy stuff to them. From Jabs, to Tilts, to Klaws, to even his Fsmash. Why can Bowser do this so well though? Why can't anyone else do what he does? That's because his grab is a little different then everyone else's.

As you now know, everyone suffers from 30 frames of immobility after releasing your opponent from a grab. It doesn't matter if you're using Jigglypuff, Mario, or even someone fast like Falcon. Everyone suffers from those 30 frames of immobility...except for Bowser. Bowser, for some unknown Godforsaken reason, only suffers from 20 frames of immobility, meaning that he can do all sorts of crap to people because he has those 10 extra frames. That's why he can pull off all that crazy stuff out of a grab. No one is safe from Bowser...except for DK.

What's the deal with DK?
DK is also special when it comes to grab releases. When DK is released from a grab with a Ground Release, he only suffers 20 frames of immobility. Because everyone except Bowser suffers from 30 frames of immobility, DK will actually recover from being grabbed faster then the person grabbing him. That's why it's useless to try to Ground Release DK, since he'll be able to attack you with his Ftilt, Dtilt, or Jabs while you're still frozen. So basically, don't try it...ever. You'll probably just get hit and look really stupid in the process. And if you're ********, you might even get hit by his Dsmash, and you know how overpowered that piece of crap is.

Why does DK recover so fast?
Ahh, this is an interesting question. You see, all of this was caused by Nintendo's developers. It turns out that a lot of Nintendo's developers are very competitive with one another. They all support certain characters, and they all try to sneak in little advantages for their favorite characters in Brawl. When the President of Nintendo found out about this, he was not pleased. In order to settle this fairly, he decided that all the characters in Brawl would have a singing contest in order to see who would get the best Grab Release advantages.

Bowser came in 1st place, since he beat the living hell out of all the other contestants. He didn't even have to sing, he let his claws do the talking. Because of his 1st place victory, Bowser received the most **** Grab Releases in the game.

Ness and Lucas arrived late due to their bus getting attacked by ghosts, so they ended up arriving a bit after Bowser. The judges let Lucas and Ness sing their duet, since there were no more contestants conscious at the time. Ness and Lucas sang so horribly that the developers decided that instead of giving them an advantage, they would get a disadvantage for singing so bad. As it turns out, Ness and Lucas both got 4th place.

All of the other characters, beaten unconscious by Bowser, were all tied for 3rd place. However, there was one other character who had yet to sing.

Donkey Kong had overslept that day, and arrived at the contest even later then Ness and Lucas. The judges let DK sing, and the judges were in shock and awe by DK's fantastic singing voice. Since Bowser had already won 1st place, they awarded DK immunity to everyone's Ground Breaks, which was the 2nd place prize.

And that my friends, is why pot is still illegal.

What's all this stuff I hear about Ness and Lucas?
Unlike everyone else, Ness and Lucas suffer from 40 frames of immobility when they're released with a Ground Release. Because of that, the entire cast gets 10 free frames to do whatever they want when Ness and Lucas get ground releases. Bowser, being as sexy as he is, gets 20 frames, which is why he absolutely destroys Ness and Lucas out of a grab. Quite a few characters can take advantage of these 10 free frames, Sonic included. You see, Sonic can do a pretty hilarious thing to Ness and Lucas. And that thing is called...

CHAINGRABING LOLOLOLOL!!!
I'm certain you've all heard of Marth's chaingrab on Ness and Lucas? Of course you have; the Lucas and Ness boards used to ***** about it every 5 seconds. Funnily enough, they never even mention Bowser's chaingrab, which is even better then Marth's. No idea why, I guess they really just aren't scared of Bowser.

Anyway, it turns out that Sonic can use his extremely fast dash and and a grab to chaingrab Ness and Lucas. All you have to do is use a dashing grab out of a Ground Release. If your timing is perfect, you should be able to regrab both Ness and Lucas. This is sort of a novelty though, since it doesn't do a lot of damage, and Ness and Lucas can both try to get Jump Releases in order to escape. Having an extra regrab on your opponent to smack them around can still be used to your advantage though. 9% extra damage may bot seem like much, but every little bit counts, especially if you're using Sonic. If not for the damage, use it for the laughs. It's hilarious.

EDIT: Sorry about my copy-and-pasting. The ground release regrab only works on Ness.

The three types of Grab Release follow ups
There are three types of grab release follow ups, all of them color coded. They are as follows...

Combo Grab Release

This means that an attack out of a Grab Release will chain and work 100% of the time as long as your timing is correct.

WPWALATDSIC Grab Release
Don't worry if you don't know WPWALATDSIC means. Why? Because I just invented it 5 minutes ago. WPWALATDSIC means "will-probably-work-as-long-as-they-don't-see-it-coming." So in other words, a WPWALATDSIC Grab Release is a Grab Release that doesn't chain, but it is hard to dodge if your opponent doesn't predict it. WPWALATDSIC Grab Releases usually involves you using your Usmash, since it comes out quick and has a big wierd hitbox.

Sonic **** Grab Release
These Grab Releases are total ****. That's all that needs to be said.

And finally, the list of Grab Releases
Remember that all of these only work out of a Jump Release.

Bowser
Chaingrab- Just grab him again.
Dash Attack- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Usmash- Whee!!!
Down or Side Taunt- ****.

Captain Falcon
Dash Attack- Whee!!!

Charizard
Dash Attack- Whee!!!
Nair- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
Usmash- Whee!!!

Diddy Kong
Dash Attack- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Donkey Kong
Nair- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
Usmash- Whee!!!

Falco
Chaingrab- Just grab him again. Timing is strict.
Dash Attack- Whee!!!

Fox

Mr. Game and Watch
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Nair Whee!!!

Ganondorf
Chaingrab- Just grab him again. Really easy.
Dash Attack- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Nair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Usmash-Whee!!!

Ice Climbers
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Ike
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Ivysaur
Nair- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Jigglypuff

The Chaingrabbing Jerk
Chaingrab- Just grab him again. Delicious irony.
Dash Attack- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Kirby
Nair- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Link
Dash Attack- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Fair- Whee!!!

Lucario
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Lucas
Chaingrab- Whee!!!
Dash Attack- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
Usmash- Lucas appears to have lots of misfourtune eh?

Weegee
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Mario
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Nair Whee!!!

Marth
Fair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Uair- Whee!!!

Meta Knight
Chaingrab- Just grab him again. Good fun.
Dash Attack- Whee!!!

Ness
Nair- Whee!!!
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
Bair- No idea why this works.

Peach
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Campachu
Dash Attack- Whee!!!

Captain Olimar
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Spammy McArrow
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Usmash-

R.O.B.
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Nair

Samus
Fair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Uair- Whee!!!

Shiek

Chuck Norris
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Sonic
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Squirtle
Chaingrab- Just grab him again. Pretty easy.
Dash Attack- Whee!!!

Toon Link
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Wario
Utilt- Poor Wario...
Nair- Poor Wario...
Fair- Poor Wario...
Uair- Poor Wario...
Bair- Poor Wario...
Usmash- Poor Wario...
Fsmash- Angle it upwards. This is epic.

Wolf

Yoshi
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!

Zelda
Fair- Whee!!!
Uair- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Nair-
WPWALATDSIC Usmash-

Zero Suit Samus
Chaingrab- Just grab her again.
Dash Attack- Whee!!!
WPWALATDSIC Fair- Whee!!!

As you can see, I'm crazy. Really crazy.

Browny

Smash Hater
hmmm yeah...

Ive already tested this pretty extensively. Sonic has no ground grab release set-ups whatsoever except on Ness, who he can dtilt, ftilt, dash attack or dashgrab upon release. Every other character can roll/spot dode away in time. Theres the Infinite regrab -> fsmash on wario over an edge if hes used his double jump too but thats pretty rare.

also you have some misteaks. You can not dash-regrab lucas at all, he can jab you out of it. Although you might be able to dash attack him... im not sure, I dont have any frame data on that to determine whether it is escapable or not. And no character can jump-release by force against Sonic, his pummels are too fast

--

lulz i just noticed this is primarily about air releases. Anyway what I said is still true

MrEh

Smash Hero
Ive already tested this pretty extensively. Sonic has no grab release set-ups whatsoever except on Ness, who he can dtilt, ftilt, dash attack or dashgrab upon release. Every other character can roll/spot dode away in time. Theres the Infinite regrab -> fsmash on wario over an edge if hes used his double jump too but thats pretty rare.
This is jump release testing. You're talking about ground releases. (which really only work on Ness and Lucas anyway, unless you're Bowser.)

You can not dash-regrab lucas as all, he can jab you out of it.
There's me and my copy-and-pasting again. I knew there would be an error somewhere because of it... *runs off and edits*

And no character can jump-release by force against Sonic, his pummels are too fast
I know. Sonic doesn't grab high.

lulz i just noticed this is primarily about air releases.
Doing ground releases would be sort of useless since it doesn't work on anyone except Ness and Lucas, but who cares about them? Everyone probably just wants to know what Sonic can do to Meta and Snake.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
lol Spammy McArrow. XD

So..... Can't you trick your opponent into air escaping by jabbing once or twice? When they see you aren't going for a throw they'll probably mash buttons and air escape.

I'm not too positive on the GR mechanix.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
MrEh, I knew you were cool the moment I saw you but I wasn't aware you were this cool :O

This is excellent but Sonic can't force a jump release can he? Unless your opponent is dangling off the edge of the stage/platform right?

This raises all kinds of interesting things...if F Throw (:ohwell:) could be used to force opponents near the edge and then Sonic grabs them, an air release could be forced because their isn't any ground for them to go on right?
Or would they just ground release and fall slightly downwards instead :(

MrEh

Smash Hero
This is excellent but Sonic can't force a jump release can he?
That is correct. Sonic cannot force a jump release unless his opponent jumps out of his grab for him. Mindgames anyone? If your opponent is trying to mash out of your grab, then they'll most likely jump out in the process. If they aren't mashing, then just pummel them a couple of times and throw them. (3 pummels and a Uthrow does a decent chunk of damage.) Either way, you win. :p

The only way for Sonic to force a jump release is if he grabs someone over the ledge. However, certain grab release followups don't work the same way if you do that. I'd have to do more testing...

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
MrEh! You found the Sonic boards. You're cool :D! But Sonic can haz chaingrab?

Btw, you said: "And that my friends, is why pot is still illegal."

NOT IN HOLLAND. BWAHAHAHAHAWAIIAN.

MrEh

Smash Hero
MrEh! You found the Sonic boards. You're cool :D! But Sonic can haz chaingrab?
He has a jump release chaingrab on plenty of characters. (too bad it sucks and is pretty unusable)

He also has a ground release chaingrab on Ness, which can lead into other things if he tries to jump out.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Why Ness's don't complain about Bowser's chaingrab:

PK Fire Lock (Bowser vs Ness is ****ing ********. Ness can spam PK Fire from 0% > 120~%)

Why Lucas boards don't complain about Bowser's Chaingrab:

Truthfully, I have no idea.... maybe its because FAR more people play Marth over Bowser? xD

About the thread:

Now I see why people don't smoke pot, that little bit made me laugh. Nice story, with a funny moral.

:mewtwo:

/useless post/

Tenki

Smash Hero
this isn't a jump release thing but like, a really simple 'offguard' punishment trick you can do by edges is to grab > pummel release > regrab if they double jump > pummel release > stage spike.

It's really good on spacies if you catch them off guard, and certain characters with up-B's that delay before they can do anything.

And it's even more stupid if you do it on a fastfaller like spacies, Ike, or Snake, and they panic buttonmash to do an airdodge or aerial. I feel like a jerk for doing it on people online, and I feel really bad for my opponent if it happens offline lol.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Why Ness's don't complain about Bowser's chaingrab:

PK Fire Lock (Bowser vs Ness is ****ing ********. Ness can spam PK Fire from 0% > 120~%
PK Fire ***** Bowser. Poor guy...

Why Lucas boards don't complain about Bowser's Chaingrab:

Truthfully, I have no idea.... maybe its because FAR more people play Marth over Bowser? xD
They just don't respect Bowser. Har har.

Now I see why people don't smoke pot, that little bit made me laugh. Nice story, with a funny moral.

:mewtwo:
I had to do it. :p

But realistically, grab releases are only really effective on Ness and Lucas. Wario and the space animals can be screwed over if you grab them over a ledge though.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Funnily enough, they never even mention Bowser's chaingrab, which is even better then Marth's. No idea why, I guess they really just aren't scared of Bowser.
We don't complain because he can't infinite Ness innit? Marth can't either but your referring to us in past tense. And we don't *****.

Us blokes don't care unless it's something big, and we can super grab break all day. Unless it's high %. (crud)

MrEh

Smash Hero
We don't complain because he can't infinite Ness innit? Marth can't either but your referring to us in past tense. And we don't *****.
I was kidding.

Us blokes don't care unless it's something big, and we can super grab break all day. Unless it's high %. (crud)
Bowser ***** Ness either way be breaks. Good times...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
This wont be useless until every person who plays this game knows every single facet about GRs, and that wont be anytime soon.

i just started using this in my game and its highly effective.

so for my own reference, im going to group this list for myself in groups of best follow up, so i only have to remember 1-2 options per character.

Quick question, the air release back air on ness, is that a RAR'd back air, or is it a back air that hits with the front of sonics body?

CG: (+ indicates to me what to use at the end of the stage.)
Charizard +UPSMASH
Lucas + UPSMASH
Bowser + F
Ganon (super easy) +F
Diddy +F
D3 +F
Falco (super hard)
Link
CF
MK
Campachu
Squirtle
***** suit Samus.

Nothing:
Fox
Wolf
Shiek
Jiggles

Characters WITHOUT a maybe upsmash:
CF
D3
Kirby
Lucario
Olimar
ROB

Characters with a DEFINITE upsmash:
Charizard
DK
Lucas
Wario

Characters where I should just stick to Fairs. (U=up air may be subbed in for staleness.)
Marth
Samus
Game and Watch (U)
Popo (U)
Ike (U)
Lucario (U)
Luigi (U)
Mario (U)
Peach (U)
Pit (U)
Olimar (U)
ROB (U)
Snake (U)
Sonic (U)
Tink (U)
Yoshi (U)
Zelda (U)
Ivysaur (UN)
Kirby (UN)
Ness (BUN, lol doesnt matter, youll only use this for kill moves, ground release CG is better.)

Will be adding to this list, dont comment negative on this list, im only using it for my personal records.
Would like an answer to the ness question tho

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Charcters short enough for this to be feasible on

MK
Campachu
Ness
Lucas
Kirby
Diddy?
Squirtle
Olimar
GaW
Popo
Mario

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
With Wario its better to just Fsmash him since the Usmash can be D'ed out of, somewhat.
KID AT #9!!

Wario ****!

So a little while back, the peaches decided to join the ranks of yoshi, ganon, ZSS, and D3 in the ever expanding number of characters that can do some thing gay to wario out of his Grab Release (GR). If you missed the epicness, heres the demo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c0I-ybNEwI

and if that wasnt **** enough, that GR combo can lead into this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4sTCS7knCM

So, thats pretty win. Now I thought of how I could apply this to sonic. And heres what I cam up with.

If you air release wario, you can jump up and footstool him into an untechable landing. And at that point you can either immediately down air (a la KID AT #2), or pull a basic spring to down air TO INITIATE A JAB LOCK.

So yea, sonic has a 100% effective, non damage dependant jab combo setup on Wario, that when perfected, will always lead into a forward smash.
shadowlink is wrong once again lol
i only put that last part cus i needed 10 char

Browny

Smash Hater
Also i was thinking, when you put characters into a jablock position, how many options to they have to escape it? If they can only stand up / get up attack, then you could jab lock a wario to the ledge, wait for him to act, dash grab for another air release -> fsmash :p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Also i was thinking, when you put characters into a jablock position, how many options to they have to escape it? If they can only stand up / get up attack, then you could jab lock a wario to the ledge, wait for him to act, dash grab for another air release -> fsmash :p
I'm pretty sure they are forced to just stand up.

Although I recall people being able to roll during the jab locks.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
cant roll or attack after a jab lock

so yes you can GR into a fsmash after wards, but its kinda point less if you can just charge a fsmash at the end of the JL anyway

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The can smash DI away from your jabs. So it fails... Yeah.
While this may be true....you can just do it again.

cant roll or attack after a jab lock

so yes you can GR into a fsmash after wards, but its kinda point less if you can just charge a fsmash at the end of the JL anyway
Actually da K.I.D. wouldn't this be an infinite as a result, using the same properties as Peach's bair reset infinite?

Grab release->footstool->instant dair->jab reset (or lock and then reset)->pivot grab->repeat? You sir have just added Sonic to the list of characters that can infinite Wario.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^I thought da K.I.D. said that the point was to miss Wario with the dair, and then buffer a turn around jab before Wario can get up from the footstool.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
and the second pivot grab will just ground release him
Oh....never mind. I forgot that Sonic ground releases Wario.:p I guess this would only really apply if they mash out themselves, so jab lock is the way to go.

And I was looking foward to infiniting Wario too. Well, at least I have my Brawl+ jab lock infinite on everybody lol.:laugh:

Top Bottom