• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Big Blue banned?

Smash Master
As far as I know, there's no random elements. Also, the need for teching has been reduced, so it's less likely for the stage to influence the outcome by knocking players off. I'd move it to counterpick, to be used by chars with moves that knock people onto the track as well as characters with bad recoveries.

Also, the walk off edges aren't a big deal, since you rarely are in a position to use them for gimping.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Because you have to jump from car to car to keep from dying and it just plan makes you focus more on looking at the car than fighting your opponent.

bobson

Smash Lord
The official reasoning is "The stage layout itself was deemed too intrusive to allow this as a counterpick, as players had to fight the stage transformations and hazards as much, if not more, as the player."

Sounds a lot like a preference ruling based on "Bullshi​t! I only died because the road disappeared before I landed!" johns to me.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
There's only like one edge, and it's the Falcon Flyer on the top. That soon disappears. The rest are just platforms, and you can't even recover if you hit the ground.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It really isn't that bad; it's not a very unfair level. However, most people just find it too dramatic for their tastes. The main reason it's generally banned is that most people just plain don't like playing on it, and to be honest there is very little hope of convincing anyone that it should be anything but banned.

In terms of gameplay, while I would contend that Big Blue is actually fair, it does have a few real issues. While any player who is good at all should be consistently teching hits that send him into the track, being pushed into the track by shield pushback is pretty awful and usually fatal. Also, sometimes if everyone is high up, the camera does a pretty bad job of showing where you can land... which sucks.

Smash Master
Aside from the shield pushback argument, a lot of these reasons make it a great counter pick. It helps certain characters and hinders certain characters. Also, there's no planking...lol.

You don't have to fight the stage THAT much. There are plenty of cars and platforms to stay on and the stage scrolls rather slowly. I think Norfair is just as bad in terms offighting the stage, especially since te lava is seemingly random.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Well this stage is just dumb anyway.

I always hated before I got into competitive Melee because being a Ganon player.... most of the time if you even just touch the track, you just die.

Cars are dumb too.

lilaznkitty

Smash Cadet
Sereitei, Soul Society >.< (Danville Cali)
Actually, I really like this stage. It's my favorite even though my character can't fly XD. The racing cars just add to my excitement. And, it is POSSIBLE to recover if you get sent out the towards the opposite direction of the running track. Then you could do a quick hop up and land on a car. Otherwise, yeah, you are screwed.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
If you're heavy weight character, know that you can't stop suiciding.
And by the way MK is a god on that stage!

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Physics do not apply on that stage. :laugh:
I must say. Fun for casual, but not competitive.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
i do not big blue at all.
its too fast and stepping on the road for 3 seconds gets you killed

Kief

Smash Ace
Up is up and down is down.
That's good enough for me. :)
haha. i get what you mean though. how you can be in the air and still move as fast as the cars. im just saying like for example, links dair sends people upwards. :confused:

no physics

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
haha. i get what you mean though. how you can be in the air and still move as fast as the cars. im just saying like for example, links dair sends people upwards. :confused:

no physics
They might just bounce or something.
I mean, nothing really makes sense. I don't question the game, I just enjoy it.

back to the big blue discussion. :laugh:

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
The stage is banned because people are dumb. The reality is that it shouldn't be banned because there's nothing bannable about it. Its a fine stage, and it rewards players who are adaptive and pay attention to their surroundings.

Touching the road only kills you if you do something like, say, make a laggy attack before landing or land on the road while injured and not teching properly (or landing on the far back end of the road while that way, but honestly, if that happens you deserve to die as your opponent set you up to die). Dying on this stage is entirely your own fault, and as much as people love to john about how this stage sucks, its really them who sucks at the stage. You don't die for landing on the road, you die for landing on the road the wrong way, and if you know how the stage works, its fine. Every time I die on the stage, either my opponent killed me or I did something stupid which I shouldn't have done.

Yeah, its good for some characters and bad for others, but that's known as a "counterpick" stage, not a banned stage.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
well, in my opinion it shouldnt be banned but the reason for banning it seems to be because of a BIG advantage to flying characters and wario. (he can survive the floor via doing a wheelie on his wario bike.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I like this stage. I've been a fan of Big Blue since Snes F-Zero and I was glad that they put a version of it in Smash. However, I don't think it's a good stage for tournaments. The level lay-out is 90% random, it promotes camping, the car positioning creates EXTREME advantages and disadvantages by random motions. If the car you're on moves to a better position than your opponent's and forces them to approach, it's as if your character was just handed a severe advantage at random (like an item).

The fact that this stage gives characters with poor recoveries such uphill battles is not enough to ban the stage, but it's just another factor. While no single aspect of this stage makes it an obvious ban, all the mid-level problems come together to keep it from actually being tourney-viable.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm glad that this tage is banned... It causes way too much suiciding and gives characters with weak recoveries a large disadvantage. If stage wasn't banned and Bridge of Eldin is I wud be mad.

D1RE

Smash Cadet
Isn't hte stage following a pattern? And playing melee casually since it was released I can assure that you won't be dying much 'cause of the floor once you learn the stage. Really, it's not very hard. And about the 'not much space to fight on' john, there's cars everywhere. Cars and platforms. And since Brawl is so slow (even with Sonic in it) compared to melee teching properly is not hard at all. And since you have next to no hitstun on most attacks, I see no reason not to have it a counterpick. Play smart and use the stage to your favour. That's what you do with any stage, you just might have to apply a bit more of it here. Too me it's more like a fun verison of rainbow road.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Signs you need to play the stage more often and don't really have an educated opinion about it:

Personally I'm glad that this tage is banned... It causes way too much suiciding and gives characters with weak recoveries a large disadvantage
I agree, i,m also glad it is banned as rounds can end within 30 seconds.
Neither of these are true, and if you think they are, then you really haven't played on the stage enough (and aren't good enough) to make any real comment on how fair it is and whether or not it should be banned. I've played on the stage a ton and the only time I kill myself is when I do something I know better than to do (or intentionally, sometimes, to kill someone else).

Isn't hte stage following a pattern?
Yes. Well, sort of. Its semi-random. The pattern is not completely random, but many aspects of it are not individually predictable. But there are general rules which are true.

And as for forcing people to approach - there are certain safe positions, and the battle should be centered over those if you're concerned about it. Its actually partially such a fun stage because of the battle for position on safe regions.

Top Bottom