• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Big Blue banned?

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
The arguments about how it seriously messes up certain characters fails in a tournament setting. Big Blue would NEVER be starter; only counterpick. You are given warning about what the next stage is going to be in a tournament and you are given an opportunity to switch characters. If you don't switch, then you're playing to lose. And reaslitically, Link, Ganondorf, Bowser(unless you're Sliq) and all the other poor recovery characters are going to do poorly in a tournament anyways. The top tiers don't do too terribly on Big Blue(maybe Snake). If anything, having this stage around will help out Wario mains considering their air dominance.

And if you were refering to how a stage that lets you pretty much avoid your enemy until YOU feel like destroying him, I'd honestly like to see a Champion Falco or Wario take on a Champion Ike or Gannondorf on Big Blue. I'd be willing to bet anything that the Falco or Wario would win.
It doesn't matter what stage you're on. Assuming all the players are of equal skill, Falco/Wario will ALWAYS **** the **** out of Ike and Ganondorf.

sffadsad

Smash Apprentice
So from what I'm reading here. The pro Big Blue people are basically saying all you have to do is master the stage or change your character amirite?

It's like if we made Temple counterpick. We'd have everyone switching to Sonic, trying to get in a few quick hits and then running the hell away. Obviously they won't make it obvious and will do their best to toe the line between retreating and stalling.

We could also try to make Rumble Falls counterpick. If we did however, the game would just end up being the person with better vertical movement running away until their opponent happened to screw up and hit the spikes or until time ran out.

The thing is that in Big Blue, and the other stages, there are elements that are so extreme that a match can either be done within a few seconds or can drag on until time is up. The thing is not that only certain characters can do well on this stage. It's that this stage has too many things to be easily abused. Anyone with a spike can win with really gay camping. Any flier can easily maneuver the stage and play in a really gay hit and run sort of way. Projectile users can annoy their opponent to near madness. The stage allows for no comebacks, and once one character gets the upper hand the match is quite frankly theirs.

bobson

Smash Lord
The thing is that in Big Blue, and the other stages, there are elements that are so extreme that a match can either be done within a few seconds or can drag on until time is up. The thing is not that only certain characters can do well on this stage. It's that this stage has too many things to be easily abused. Anyone with a spike can win with really gay camping. Any flier can easily maneuver the stage and play in a really gay hit and run sort of way. Projectile users can annoy their opponent to near madness. The stage allows for no comebacks, and once one character gets the upper hand the match is quite frankly theirs.
The stage elements are not that extreme. Spikes can be baited and punished. Any mildly large stage can be played with hit and run tactics; this is Brawl. The stage tilt ruins projectile spamming with the exception of controllable ones like PK Thunder or Din's Fire, which are easy to dodge and punish. The road, among other things, allow for very drastic comebacks. Camping and stalling does not work on this stage for extended periods of time because surprise! Your camping spot just moved off screen, and now you have nowhere to go but to your enemy!

I don't think you play on this stage much if you think the advantages it gives are so extreme.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
It's like if we made Temple counterpick. We'd have everyone switching to Sonic, trying to get in a few quick hits and then running the hell away. Obviously they won't make it obvious and will do their best to toe the line between retreating and stalling.
That can be done with every character and therefore becomes the only strategy on that stage. There is an over powered strategy that cannot be countered and thus it warrants a ban.

We could also try to make Rumble Falls counterpick. If we did however, the game would just end up being the person with better vertical movement running away until their opponent happened to screw up and hit the spikes or until time ran out.
Rumble Falls could be argued for CP, although the walk offs and walls make arguments in favor of it quite limited. Also, chasing someone down on RF isn't too difficult. The stage is quite linear and predictable.

Camping can be done in the legal stages already(though in a limited manner), Metaknight can plank on about every stage. Pit/Lucas/Falco is already pretty ****ing annoying on FD and Smashville with projectiles. Comebacks are easier in this stage than every other legal stage because of the ease with which someone can be knocked onto the crappy road. There is no broken strategy on this stage that warrants a ban. The stage itself interferes with gameplay, but so do several other stages. Does this stage interfere as to make matches unplayable? A subjective question to which I say no. I play Dedede and G&W. If someone takes me to BB, I'm switching to G&W.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
This stage screams SD, plus this stage is shorter than it was on Melee to Brawl?! That make's it a worser place to fight fair. This stage give's characters with great air game a chance to KO just about any foe by knocking them to the ground or force gimp them to the death area's of the stage. Also for big characters, it's very easy to SD in this stage because of landing lag from a move, or just them falling.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Big Blue is far from the definition of banned. If you're banning a stage because it's easy to make a mistake on it, why did you even play Melee? If you fail a wavedash at the edge, you just lost your stock, which is exactly the same as freefalling onto the Big Blue road.

If you don't freefall, you can jump again right after, no lag. There are always at least 2 cars in the center of the track.

Sonic can't camp on the track because running into cars and hills instantly gimps him.

If you're a pure Link main, I advise not paying for tourney entry until you realise tiers exist. Link has horrible matchups, everywhere, unless you're one of those Link fanboys that constantly plays on Bridge of Eldin, but that stage isn't even legal!

Anyway, Big Blue is definitely a counterpick. It deserves a spot as much as Rainbow Cruise does, and Rainbow Cruise is already legal. There are always very simple way to avoid dying that don't require stopping the fight. It shifts balance. That's all.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I like how almost everyone who supports this stage joined this site after brawl's release
I support it. Its a decent stage that has nothing thats really really wrong with it. Its only banned cause most people hate how different it is.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
What do you mean there are no stages that make you work more on the stage than the player? The Scrolling Donkey Kong Stage, 75, Mario Bros, Mushroomy Kingdom, Flatzone2, these stages and more, the stage itself is a bigger issue than your enemy, and mastering this stage is the biggest priority...

And if you were refering to how a stage that lets you pretty much avoid your enemy until YOU feel like destroying him, I'd honestly like to see a Champion Falco or Wario take on a Champion Ike or Gannondorf on Big Blue. I'd be willing to bet anything that the Falco or Wario would win.
You would have to be really bad to be putting more effort into surviving on any of those stages than against the opponent. 75m, Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, and Flat Zone 2 aren't even very dangerous when compared to stages that are generally considered legal; have you actually played on them or are you just making stuff up? I'm going to guess you don't have much of any experience on them because you didn't even know the name of Rumble Falls.

The stages move and have hazards; this is true. However, even the most braindead players out there could, in the absence of the opponent, survive indefinitely without ever being hit. Boot it up in training mode, pick Bowser or Ganon or whoever, and see how long you can last without getting hit. If the answer isn't "forever", that's a sign you're a really bad player, but if you actually have the stage patterns memorized (which you had better if you want to discuss them in legality debates), then I would guess you could handle it. What this means is that the stage is only "dangerous" insofar as one player utilizes its features against the other player... which is what happens on every stage anyway. On Final Destination, Falco exploits the lack of platforms to pressure better with his laser. I'm sure you have some arbitrary mental barrier, but that's really NOT different from Snake camping behind the lion tamers on Flat Zone 2 chucking grenades save perhaps the magnitude of the advantage. There are actually multiple philosophies to determine stage rules, but let me outline what I feel is the best one.

If a stage is not broken either in terms of making certain characters unreasonably undefeatable or in terms of adding too much variance for matches between skilled players to be determined by skill, it should be banned. Otherwise, it should be legal.

A good example of unreasonably undefeatable is the Temple. Fox versus anyone who runs slower than Fox is a sure thing win for Fox. Pit versus a bunch of characters is a sure thing win for Pit if the Pit is clever about the various outer loops. It's really degenerate and awful, and whichever character is better at running away is pretty much assured to win. It needs to be banned.

Variance may or may not be random actually. Let's start with random with WarioWare. On WarioWare, the stage randomly awards stars (and does other things, but let's keep the focus on stars). If a character bad at running away must fight a character with a star, he's sure to lose his stock. Any amount of unsafe attacks are fine to throw out with total impunity. Which player gets more stars or stars at better times would be the main determining factor of matches were WarioWare legal. It needs to be banned.

An example of non-random variance is Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2. On this stage, a very powerful tactic is to camp the top of the stage and go for up throws. This is relatively even character wise (everyone can kill with up throw), but the problem is that if one player decides to utilize this strategy, the whole game is likely to come down to "land three up throws". Even at the highest levels with players of high and similar but not identical skill, this incredibly short and degenerate gameplay will not produce consistent results. Especially in light of the other problems this stage has, it's an easy choice to ban.

Where does Big Blue fit into this? Character advantages are pretty big, but I do not believe it would be an honest claim to say the best characters on Big Blue are unreasonably undefeatable. Everyone can survive landing on the track in general, and every character has some ability to make and react to the aerial approaches favored on this stage. Big Blue's platform layout is indeed very random, but it doesn't actually decide matches very often at all. The general structure of the platforms is always similar, and only very, very rarely does it shift to a form that really screws you. If this isn't convincing, consider Fountain of Dreams in melee. It too had very random platforms, but obviously every individual position was reasonable with the general structure being homogeneous enough that players could just react to it. Big Blue is less homogeneous than that, but it's still within the realm of reasonable to react to. The last question is whether the non-random variance on the stage is too great, and while it would indeed seem that way when you watch players pick up Big Blue for the first time, I find that after gaining a great amount of experience on the stage, it's not any more unpredictable than the other stages in terms of results. The only "problem" is that both players have to know it very well or else the games will look "bad".

Big Blue is definitely a very "different" stage like I was saying. There are a large number of strategies that only work on Big Blue and not the other stages, and there are a large number of strategies that work on the legal stages in general but not on Big Blue. While no character becomes broken, character bias is bigger than usual, including actually making life really rough on some very highly tiered characters (specifically Snake, also Olimar and Ice Climbers). I can see why people with different philosophies would be very strongly in favor of banning this stage. As a person who favors minimal bans, this is definitely a stage I would put near the top of my "I'm willing to compromise" list; of the stages that can reasonably be legal, this is definitely near the bottom of the barrel in terms of fairness. However, I'm not going to lie to people and further the rumors that this stage is degenerately unplayable; it's really a far more interesting stage than your doubtless limited experiences and some forum posts would lead you to believe.

About Ike/Ganon vs Wario/Falco, if you consider character quality at all, you'd make that claim on any stage. For Ike in particular, Big Blue wouldn't be a bad stage to use at all against Falco actually. He can avoid lasers fairly easily by crouching on most cars, and in jumping around games he's really not at that big of a disadvantage. You'd have to be pretty confident in your Ike to pick Big Blue, but I suspect it would return handsome dividends if you were. Wario is even somewhat limited here since he can't exploit his full aerial mobility if there's not another car to pull back and land on. The factor here isn't aerial mobility (which Falco isn't good at either; why do people keep bringing him up?) so much as aerial approach ability, specificially on small platforms. That's why Meta Knight (who has AWFUL aerial mobility, despite what some people in this topic seem to think) is good here.

I gave you such a lengthy and wandering response since you echo a lot of sentiments that really stem from having very little experience on the stage or stages in general. Big Blue does have some legitimately and worrysome problems, but "being more dangerous than the opponent" is most certainly not among them (nor is it among the problems for any stage).

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Very nice comments. I don't feel like reading up and then typing and looking back up and typing back and forth to make my reply, so I think I'm just going to tear up your quote a little bit. :p But seriously now, my responces will be the colored ones.

You would have to be really bad to be putting more effort into surviving on any of those stages than against the opponent. 75m, Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, and Flat Zone 2 aren't even very dangerous when compared to stages that are generally considered legal; have you actually played on them or are you just making stuff up? I'm going to guess you don't have much of any experience on them because you didn't even know the name of Rumble Falls.

Maybe I just fight easier enemys than most people who get to fully play profesional (Condem my broken rib), but for most of the kids that I fight Locally and on Wifi, most of the stages are more of an issue to them than I am. I know that some of them are Johning since they lose on every stage, but some of them that actually do have skill (who I'm convincine to join the Boards since they beat me as much as I beat them) do note that the stages do require a little more thought than whether to SpotDodge or Jump over my Smashes and deliver an attack of their own. I personally don't have the same issues, but plenty of "younger" and some times some of the "mature" players find that despite how few there are, the obsticals and stages provided do make them work harder on dodging or utalizing the stage itself rather than to just dirrectly fight. 75m, they are more focused on trying to find safe platforms away from the Fireballs, Moving Platforms, Springs and the Donkey Kong at the top than trying to actively kill me. On Mushroomy Kingdom, I've seen kids get blocked by platforms and walls, gimped by them, and they lose a stock just because of the screen flow or falling through the gaps. Rumble Falls (which I only called the Scrolling DK Stage because I occasionally mix up Jungle Japes and Rumble Falls, and I don't enjoy making such mistakes) is an issue because between some of the unjumpable walls, the occasional spikes, and the worry of getting themselves thrown away by the walls, kids will get freaked about the stage being more of an issue in combat. Flatzone2, despite the strategies you can use around it, one mistake (that in battles on stages like Yoshi's Island or Battlefield wouldn't be nearly as catastrophic), and the poor little kids find themselves knocked about uncontrolably by the Game&Watch people, or nailed by 1 hit killing them. I thought I mentioned Mario Bros as well, for all of the items, the fireball hazards, the inpregnable platforms, and the chaingrab/walkawaywalls. And trust me, I'm not as inexperienced as I seem. And unless my version of Brawl is different than others, I'm pretty sure I'm not making up anything about them. Maybe I worded wrongly what I ment to say about them and other stages like them. I just don't like stages that force a person to have to change their strategy at all. I like watching epic battles between great compedators, fighting at their best without a random explosion interrupting things.

The stages move and have hazards; this is true. However, even the most braindead players out there could, in the absence of the opponent, survive indefinitely without ever being hit. Boot it up in training mode, pick Bowser or Ganon or whoever, and see how long you can last without getting hit. If the answer isn't "forever", that's a sign you're a really bad player, but if you actually have the stage patterns memorized (which you had better if you want to discuss them in legality debates), then I would guess you could handle it. What this means is that the stage is only "dangerous" insofar as one player utilizes its features against the other player... which is what happens on every stage anyway. On Final Destination, Falco exploits the lack of platforms to pressure better with his laser. I'm sure you have some arbitrary mental barrier, but that's really NOT different from Snake camping behind the lion tamers on Flat Zone 2 chucking grenades save perhaps the magnitude of the advantage. There are actually multiple philosophies to determine stage rules, but let me outline what I feel is the best one.

I agree with this. Maybe I just need to move so I don't have to fight Braindead Players. The only thing I have to say is that I don't see how Falco laser spaming (which is easily punished through the air) on Final Destination can be compared to Snake using Grenades on the Lion Cage (which if you move wrong, you can be instantly killed). Again, I personally don't have a problem fighting on any stage (except Smashville, because it's coloring is too "Pretty" for my states, but I'll still fight on it), but against the people I currently battle (which if I could go drive to more tournaments or to meet more fighters, I would, but I lost both my ribs and my car in an accident) stages that interupt fights or that can put people in crap situations aren't really good ones. Personally, I'll fight anyone, anywhere, anything goes (except glitches). It doesn't matter too much to me, although lots of other people have problems with it.

If a stage is not broken either in terms of making certain characters unreasonably undefeatable or in terms of adding too much variance for matches between skilled players to be determined by skill, it should be banned. Otherwise, it should be legal.

I know you're giving examples of this, but can I ask that you explain it again? Maybe I need to ask my teacher to go over grammer rules, but the way this is worded to me, wouldn't a stage that's not broken either in terms of unfair advantages or variance in skilled matches be a reason for the stage to Not be banned?

A good example of unreasonably undefeatable is the Temple. Fox versus anyone who runs slower than Fox is a sure thing win for Fox. Pit versus a bunch of characters is a sure thing win for Pit if the Pit is clever about the various outer loops. It's really degenerate and awful, and whichever character is better at running away is pretty much assured to win. It needs to be banned.

The first time I saw that Temple was banned, I wondered why. Then I saw the way people can play this stage, and I completely agreed. Runners SUCK! ALL YOU PEOPLE NEED TO BURN IN HECK WITH YOUR LEGS BROKEN! But Temple is another stage that can completely change a strategy or change the way a match under a "fair stage" would normally be.

Variance may or may not be random actually. Let's start with random with WarioWare. On WarioWare, the stage randomly awards stars (and does other things, but let's keep the focus on stars). If a character bad at running away must fight a character with a star, he's sure to lose his stock. Any amount of unsafe attacks are fine to throw out with total impunity. Which player gets more stars or stars at better times would be the main determining factor of matches were WarioWare legal. It needs to be banned.

I hated this stage the second this happened. I don't even attack people when I get stars. It's cheap, and again, the stage makes it so that a strategy can change completely.

An example of non-random variance is Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2. On this stage, a very powerful tactic is to camp the top of the stage and go for up throws. This is relatively even character wise (everyone can kill with up throw), but the problem is that if one player decides to utilize this strategy, the whole game is likely to come down to "land three up throws". Even at the highest levels with players of high and similar but not identical skill, this incredibly short and degenerate gameplay will not produce consistent results. Especially in light of the other problems this stage has, it's an easy choice to ban.

I completely agree with you here. Again, I probably worded my thoughts wrong. This stage and the scrolling DK Stage (Rumble Falls) aren't really that dangerous at all... It just messes up fights too much for my liking.

Where does Big Blue fit into this? Character advantages are pretty big, but I do not believe it would be an honest claim to say the best characters on Big Blue are unreasonably undefeatable. Everyone can survive landing on the track in general, and every character has some ability to make and react to the aerial approaches favored on this stage. Big Blue's platform layout is indeed very random, but it doesn't actually decide matches very often at all. The general structure of the platforms is always similar, and only very, very rarely does it shift to a form that really screws you. If this isn't convincing, consider Fountain of Dreams in melee. It too had very random platforms, but obviously every individual position was reasonable with the general structure being homogeneous enough that players could just react to it. Big Blue is less homogeneous than that, but it's still within the realm of reasonable to react to. The last question is whether the non-random variance on the stage is too great, and while it would indeed seem that way when you watch players pick up Big Blue for the first time, I find that after gaining a great amount of experience on the stage, it's not any more unpredictable than the other stages in terms of results. The only "problem" is that both players have to know it very well or else the games will look "bad".

Except for the Fountain of Dreams part (which I'll honestly never see a simularity between this stage's slightly moving platforms and the moving platform's formations and car changes on Big Blue), you actually have me very well convinced. I still think that stages like these that can interrupt the flow of battle for all but the most elite of pros or those that have the stage and it's possible styles committed to memory aren't really too good of stages...

Big Blue is definitely a very "different" stage like I was saying. There are a large number of strategies that only work on Big Blue and not the other stages, and there are a large number of strategies that work on the legal stages in general but not on Big Blue. While no character becomes broken, character bias is bigger than usual, including actually making life really rough on some very highly tiered characters (specifically Snake, also Olimar and Ice Climbers). I can see why people with different philosophies would be very strongly in favor of banning this stage. As a person who favors minimal bans, this is definitely a stage I would put near the top of my "I'm willing to compromise" list; of the stages that can reasonably be legal, this is definitely near the bottom of the barrel in terms of fairness. However, I'm not going to lie to people and further the rumors that this stage is degenerately unplayable; it's really a far more interesting stage than your doubtless limited experiences and some forum posts would lead you to believe.

Again, I'm more experienced than I seem, and I'm sorry if I seem like the people who actually have issues with these types of stages and more, and want then banned for such. Actually, in a true-game environment, I don't see any stage deserving banishment (although Smashville needs better coloring omg ;.; ). The only things I truly dislike in this game are the chaingrabs that people can do, and other glitches like the Cape glitch (which are usually limited in game play and/or character specific anyway). Strategy wise, I just prefer matches that are straight up slug fest bewteen players, using their own skill, rather than NEEDING to manipulate the stage to their advantage.

About Ike/Ganon vs Wario/Falco, if you consider character quality at all, you'd make that claim on any stage. For Ike in particular, Big Blue wouldn't be a bad stage to use at all against Falco actually. He can avoid lasers fairly easily by crouching on most cars, and in jumping around games he's really not at that big of a disadvantage. You'd have to be pretty confident in your Ike to pick Big Blue, but I suspect it would return handsome dividends if you were. Wario is even somewhat limited here since he can't exploit his full aerial mobility if there's not another car to pull back and land on. The factor here isn't aerial mobility (which Falco isn't good at either; why do people keep bringing him up?) so much as aerial approach ability, specificially on small platforms. That's why Meta Knight (who has AWFUL aerial mobility, despite what some people in this topic seem to think) is good here.

Might I ask what you mean by Character Quality? I don't really understand what you mean by that. And it seems easier for the big, lumbering, air-handicaped people to fight on stages that they don't fear being nearly instantly killed by a missed or gimped jump than having to fight on such a stage. And Ike v Falco on Big Blue? A big juggernaut who risks falling into the abyss or being run over by a jump or recovery that doesn't work nearly as well on this stage, verses an bird of prey that can reach any platform almost at will, with virtually no problems, just being able to wait for the enemy to get close and get gimped? I tried Youtubing videos of such matches, and I couldn't find a single one. Maybe I'm not searching enough. And Wario seems to excel on any stage where there are lots of aerial platforms, and between the mass of them at the top of the stage, to the moving cars that are the only thing saving people from instant death on the road, Wario seems to enjoy this stage quite well. Maybe this is too specific (since it seems to be mainly the people that I know that I fight). But it seems to work out that way quite well.

I gave you such a lengthy and wandering response since you echo a lot of sentiments that really stem from having very little experience on the stage or stages in general. Big Blue does have some legitimately and worrysome problems, but "being more dangerous than the opponent" is most certainly not among them (nor is it among the problems for any stage).
And again, I probably worded that incredibly wrong. I need to find a better way of explaining myself better, and I'm sorry for any confusion. If I do say so myself though, I can say that I do train on any and every stage I can, including the "banned" stages, so that I'm prepared for them. And I'm sorry if it seems that I'm like those that want such stages banned because of the stage "possibly being dangerous". I actually only like it banned because I like watching epic fights, and such fights can not exist when you have to jump from place to place, or are distracted by other such obsticals. It isn't as bad on other stages (which is why most of them are counter-picked or starters), but on these other stages, the epic fights don't really involve too much dirrect fighting, rather than messing with the stage itself.

Btw, Ampharos, can I add you? You seem really intelligent, and you're probably quite a great Brawler as well. I hope that I could some time fight against you, since I'd probably be forced to fight at the top of my game against you.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Wow... the conversations have gotten pretty intense.... honestly, despite what I've said here and there, a 1/3rd of the time, I agree with the ban, another 1/3rd of the time, I'm against it, and another 1/3rd of the time, I could really care less, as long as I get to fight. I just don't like matches being interupted by the stage so much. And sorry for the double posting.

bobson

Smash Lord
I like how almost everyone who supports this stage joined this site after brawl's release
Almost everyone who doesn't support it joined after Brawl's release, too.
Welcome to Smashboards.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Wait, people want this stage to be in a tourney. I don't even want to play on this stage for causal play let alone competive. It's no fun and it's easy to stage spike someone to death.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I actually passed by this on my way to the Meta Knight forum & I had to go back, because I just couldn't believe it. "Why is Big Blue banned?"
THREAD OF THE MONTH

Smash Master
I love how everybody can so casually voice their ignorant opinion after ignoring the 500 word post right next to theirs.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I love how everybody can so casually voice their ignorant opinion after ignoring the 500 word post right next to theirs.
It can't be helped, everyone has diffrent ways of viewing this stage, including mines. This stage is only fun when four people play on this same stage, (of course including 2 vs 2). But this stage technically doesn't have a reason to be banned, just that most people don't like this stage for various reasons.

SoSlickAndSoFly

Smash Rookie
You're an idiot. You have to concentrate way more on the stage than you do on fighting when you are forced to fight on top of the cars.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
You're an idiot. You have to concentrate way more on the stage than you do on fighting when you are forced to fight on top of the cars.
No good Sir, your the idiot. First off that's no logical reason to be banned, and secondly no you don't. unless you suck at smash. it's jsut landing on a moving platform while still fighting.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Well, just about 90% every stage that's on Brawl you have to focus on the stage effects, just constanly moving to another spot on the stage is not a good reason to banned. If that was the case, Rainbow Curise, Delfino Plaza etc would be long banned by now. Only good reason why this stage is banned would be that the characters that spike hard, or can able to push a foe downwords easily would have a ruff time on this stage, though flying characters can have it good on this stage.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Well, just about 90% every stage that's on Brawl you have to focus on the stage effects, just constanly moving to another spot on the stage is not a good reason to banned. If that was the case, Rainbow Curise, Delfino Plaza etc would be long banned by now. Only good reason why this stage is banned would be that the characters that spike hard, or can able to push a foe downwords easily would have a ruff time on this stage, though flying characters can have it good on this stage.
Haha I Respecfully disagree :)
I main samus so I knwo a bit about her downward pushback, and on this stage if you can Dair them onto the road they wont' get up fast enough to get out of it alive unless they Tech the floor. and even then depending on where you hit them to the ground they could still die. Just throwing my 2 cents in...

Narigo1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-2763-4068
because it is hard to recover when u go on the road

Linkshot

Smash Hero
....you shouldn't be freefalling onto the road, ever. THAT's what kills you. Just land with your double jump and there's no lag. Get used to the stage.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Haha I Respecfully disagree :)
I main samus so I knwo a bit about her downward pushback, and on this stage if you can Dair them onto the road they wont' get up fast enough to get out of it alive unless they Tech the floor. and even then depending on where you hit them to the ground they could still die. Just throwing my 2 cents in...
I can't belive I miss this quote, lol. I guess it's true that most characters won't get back up fast enough to jump out of the road. But this kind of bring up the topic, "don't get grab" statment which brings up if you land on the road because of an attack, it's your fault for being on that position. Plus, the death zones of the road is a little after the middle of the road to the end of the road, *lol, Boyz II Men*. I'll say the reason why this stage is banned because at least 35% of the rouster would have a huge disadvantage on this stage, I'll ban this stage on 2 vs 2 but 1 vs 1 shouldn't be a huge deal.

Why would you allow it? Seriously, it's an impossible stage to play a tournament on.
I wouldn't say "impossible" what stage is impossible to play on would be Warioware, with that huge amount of unfair ness in a tourney match would get the other characters that play competively pissed because this person got invincibilty, and you only got healing. Why is Shadow Mose Island is banned? Falco can able to laser lock you and King Dedede can chain grab byond half of the rouster on this stage. I have plenty of more stuff to go over, but let's get back to the Big Blue, this stage is hard to fight on when you have flying characters there, which would cause a lot of stage ban's on this stage, but it's still playable in ways of understanding how to fight on the Big Blue.

its a stage where the stage can kill you, that's why it's banned
There is a lot of legal stage's that can kill you, if that was the case, then how did Norfair get legal over this stage? XD

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Halberd can kill, and it's universally legal.

Big Blue's "hazard" is one of the most avoidable. And if your rival tends to like Big Blue, well, pick up somebody floaty. That's it. If your main can't get past it, it's not their fault. It's yours for choosing to exclusively main a bad character.

-Syn-

Smash Cadet
There is no ledges... and gimping/edgehogging/spiking is like half the game. Plus it makes you focus more on the stage itself than actually fighting as was mentioned earlier.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Halberd can kill, and it's universally legal.

Big Blue's "hazard" is one of the most avoidable. And if your rival tends to like Big Blue, well, pick up somebody floaty. That's it. If your main can't get past it, it's not their fault. It's yours for choosing to exclusively main a bad character.
rofl

seriously?

seriously?

§leepy God

Smash Master
Like I'd said before, people want this stage playable?! Come on, the people that like this stage is pulling my leg, it must be.

c3gill

Smash Ace
There is no ledges... and gimping/edgehogging/spiking is like half the game. Plus it makes you focus more on the stage itself than actually fighting as was mentioned earlier.
there is a ledge- it just goes away pretty fast. Big Blue is really similar to Rainbow Cruise, in that it gives the stage advantage to the characters with better aerial movement and priority. You mentioned gimping / edgehogging / spiking being most of the strategy on Big Blue, but again Rainbow Cruise is very similar.....

It appears, at least to me, that these 2 stages should go together- and if that is CP, so be it.

The stage is a predictable obstacle, and if you are putting yourself in a position to be killed its your own fault (same arguement is used for Halberd).

And saying that focusing on the stage isnt what the game is about is absurd. If I am playing Snake, and you arent paying attention to hazards on the stage, ima blow you the **** up. Every Stage has some hazard in it- and the cast brings in even more hazards. using the arguement that focusing on the stage draws away from fighting is ridiculously flawed, as you cannot put up a decent fight if you are not paying attention to the stage.

Top Bottom